• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

X-Frame

How do I re-map my button commands on a DS3 with people keep talking about with an "RA" Menu?

Can I bring up Settings during a race so I can tune my car on-the-fly?

I cant win Cape Ring in the All Star series in B-spec. I have a 956 hp Zonda and a level 22 driver, but my guy cant catch those fucking Nissan open wheel racers. It's really pissing me off, because it's the second last gold I need before I do the championship. I know my guy can take these assholes on Tokyo R242, it's just these uphill bends on Cape Ring that fucking kill me.

Dead Man

X-Frame said:
How do I re-map my button commands on a DS3 with people keep talking about with an "RA" Menu?

Can I bring up Settings during a race so I can tune my car on-the-fly?
I made L3 bring up the menu, and then the dpad to control it. I don't have a ghost or horn button any more, but it let me gold all the Nascar Special Events on the first or second go by changing the settings. It should have been setup from the start.

The config selection is in the options menu, I think the second or third row down.

Melfice7

PD needs to add money prizes in online races FAST.. grinding on A/B spec is boring as hell..

"we have 1000 cars, but you can only buy them if you grind forever!!"

If they dont want people "cheating" online like setting up 1 lap races just with 2 people to make fast cash, just make the amount of cash depending on the amount of players, 5k for each player.. a 16 player race will give 80k for 1st place, 75k for 2nd etc. A 2 player race will give 10k and 5k

Dead Man

Melfice7 said:
PD needs to add money prizes in online races FAST.. grinding on A/B spec is boring as hell..

If they dont want people "cheating" online like setting up 1 lap races just with 2 people to make fast cash, just make the amount of cash depending on the amount of players, 5k for each player.. a 16 player race will give 80k for 1st place, 75k for 2nd etc. A 2 player race will give 10k and 5k
Or just add a create a race option in A Spec.

KingDizzi

Banned
Melfice7 said:

Fucking right. Online credits needs to be added ASAP, online play is fun however having the incentive of earning credits to get more cars really would help a lot. This is a car game after all, you want to get a chance to drive lots of cars without grinding too much, it would make online so so much better. Once that and leaderboards are added I will give the game another try....then play for hours and hours. :d

Goldrusher

I'd like to see time trial events as well.
And at the end of every week, 100K credits if you're in the top 100 in any of them. 1 million if you're number one.

Prologue even had a few events like that, and you only had 15 minutes to do a handful laps. And that was it.

Dead Man

Melfice7 said:
Playing with people > playing with an overpowered car against retarded AI
Yeah, but playing with an underpowered car vs a decent AI is good too. I don't really get into the online that much, so just dding $ for inline is not going to help me with the grind.

brentech

Melfice7 said:
Prologue had online money since day 1 and worked just fine i cant understand why they left it out
Really? That's extremely disappointing to hear. Maybe more disappointing that I didn't play it, but who knew it'd be so long. =(

brentech

BTW - I just now realized that my B-Specs miles are added to my Total distance driven. I'd of thought that would of have been me only....

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Has anyone seen the Eclipse '95 in their used car lot? I have the Eclipse '06, but I want the '95 to go with it. :( ;____;

Yes, I know it's a standard. No, I don't care. I always drive the hell out of the '95 Eclipses since GT1.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Also, for those that have won it (IIRC): The Civic MUGEN MOTUL Si Race Car '87 is a pure beast unmodified/tune-stored in the Japanese Classics (1990 or earlier) event. I was lapping second by about +0.38.988 on Autumn Ring. Now I gotta tune it for B-spec. :/

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Online money should have been there from the get-go, but always and only with a matchmaking-like solution.
For all the bad (and great) some Forza drivers were, learning from those mistakes (yeah right, PD seems stuck on the last century) and improving on rules/reward would make up for half the game. Atm I can't find much fun in online racing, finding nice races or the right cars is too tiring and time consuming (wtf it seems drifting only or Ferrar&co supercars... boooring).

Anyway, did I say the I'm loving the core game?
Well I am :D

One thing:
GT5 is heaps and bounds above any other racer I've ever tried with a gamepad.
It's exhilarating.

That being said, I have a G27 wheel, and the feel of the game is too distinctive between the two. I mean they're two different game, handling wise.
Even with all the assists off, there's too many "hidden" aims that are going on, sometimes it borders on arcadey (only when compared with the wheel handling of course), let alone simulation. This, besides some particular tracks, puts wheel users to disadvantage... it's a fact. I'd never pass on the wheel experience to cut a few .ms, but why make it so uneven when the fight would normally be fair, depending on tracks, with DS3= fast cornerning/chicanes and wheel=feeling the torque/tires; I'm a decent driver with the wheel, I do not lack experience, but the small time I gave to the patents saw me have a few tries to get silvers, while with the pad every friggin try was a gold.
Not to say I'm bitter 'cause I can't fucking honk, use rain swipers, turn the lights on... and that is virtually impossible to use the handbrake with the G27. :lol
Fuckin' fix it already Kaz!

If anybody wanna add me (mostly trades and stuff) my PSN ID is: DashKap

-viper-

Banned
I hope the patch gets released soon. The servers for this game are fucking terrible. It sold 5.5 million and it seems like they're running on 56k. I can only play this game by signing out of PSN as of now, and it loads much, much faster. Game has been freezing constantly today.

Also, rain effects in cockpit view look TERRIBLE. PD should have taken a look at the F1 Championship rain code. They look incredibly low resolution. But in SS7 night, they look far better (compared to daytime rain races).

spats

I'm aware that there's a separate thread for reviews but I feel that this should get posted here instead.

Anyway, here's Classic Game Room's part 1 of 5 of his video review. The guy is a big GT nut and has done an excellent job reviewing all the past GT games. He seems a bit clueless about some of the tidbits like damage and premium vs. standard but to be fair, so do most people who buy the game. He's a pretty good player and there should be some good footage covering most aspects of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwX-_ft5Ieg

I love my new B-Spec driver.

His name is E. Ferrari.

He's wild, he's fast, he's hot-headed, he makes (stupid) mistakes, but at least he tries to overtake others. He could be a pretty good driver with a bit more experience.

I think my other drivers just got Webber'd and Massa'd.

Error1355

-viper- said:
I hope the patch gets released soon. The servers for this game are fucking terrible. It sold 5.5 million and it seems like they're running on 56k. I can only play this game by signing out of PSN as of now, and it loads much, much faster. Game has been freezing constantly today.

I have no idea how people are still having server problems. I only had a long wait time on launch day, and since then it's been fine.

God i am going to have to buy the fucking X1.
The time trials seem impossible with a control WTF .
This fucking sucks, o well .

EDIT has anyone on GAF won it yet ?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
apologies for being completely ignorant, but no Costa di Almalfi or Citta di Aria in gt5? those were far and away my favorite tracks in gt4 and among my most memorable in all of racing :(

spats said:
I'm aware that there's a separate thread for reviews but I feel that this should get posted here instead.

Anyway, here's Classic Game Room's part 1 of 5 of his video review. The guy is a big GT nut and has done an excellent job reviewing all the past GT games. He seems a bit clueless about some of the tidbits like damage and premium vs. standard but to be fair, so do most people who buy the game. He's a pretty good player and there should be some good footage covering most aspects of the game.

I'll be keeping up with this review. It was the only one that I had any interest i seeing.

brentech

Error1355 said:
I have no idea how people are still having server problems. I only had a long wait time on launch day, and since then it's been fine.
Yeah, I can't say I've experienced any problems since launch either. I don't play at extreme night hours which could be part of it, but still..

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Not specifically (DLC for GT5 has not been formally defined yet), but I'd be surprised if there were none during its life cycle.

thanks. having not played gt5 or prologue, do any of the tracks capture the feel of those 2 tracks i mentioned above that feels windy and narrow like a tarmac only rally stage?

Kaz said that their job now is to listen to what fans are wanting. If track DLC is what we want then we'll probably get it some time next year. Of course the issue will be how they'll figure out which tracks people most want. Spa is probably the #1 track, but that could take a long time to create if they don't have something already worked on.

-viper-

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Kaz said that their job now is to listen to what fans are wanting. If track DLC is what we want then we'll probably get it some time next year. Of course the issue will be how they'll figure out which tracks people most want. Spa is probably the #1 track, but that could take a long time to create if they don't have something already worked on.
Have they not already visited it though?

Would love to see more events patched in at the least via DLC.

They've visited it because we saw that picture that showed all the photos that they've captured from various locations and Spa was one of those locations.

plainr_

spats said:

I've not read or watched a single review of any GT game (or for any racer) but his. I look forward to watching the full review when he's done.

cilonen

gundamkyoukai said:
God i am going to have to buy the fucking X1.
The time trials seem impossible with a control WTF .
This fucking sucks, o well .

EDIT has anyone on GAF won it yet ?

I did read that if you level up a B spec driver to open the challenge in B spec they'll get at least bronze easily and win the car. I can't vouch for this though, I'm a long way off those kind of levels.

X-Frame

Has anyone found a '97 Supra RZ in the Used Car lot yet? I've been looking for one since Day 1, yet I see 1839 RX-7's each time it refreshes, WTF.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Since we all love cars, I'll take this opportunity (namely, my ps3 still being away) to try to kickstart a racing history talk here in this thread, where we, gaffers, would post facts, curious tidbits, or just chat about our favorite classic racers. So perhaps next time we see a vintage racing car on the track next to us, our reaction might not come down to 'Ugh, ugly standard/Wow, nice premium' (I jest, I know gaffers love their vintage racers).

I think a good way to start this would be with FIA's Group7 / CanAm prototypes - encompassing such iconic series as the original Can-Am, the Japanese CanAm/Group7 series (Japan Grand Prix, later evolved into SuperGT), and the early Euro Interserie.

Among those, a few cars stood out as historic cornernstones in car racing, and low and behold, some of those found there way into Polyphony's GT series.

Toyota 7 - the spirit of a nation determined to compete with the best of them.
Chaparral 2J - a car so revolutionary that it raises eyebrows even today.

Relatives to the above / long-distance runners also found in GT:

Ford GT40 Mk I - the car that raised Ford to the top of endurance racing fame, a descendant of the cult Lola lineage.
Ford GT40 Mk IV - a LeMans' and Sebring winner, and undoubtedly the most evolved specimen in the GT40 family.
Chaparral 2D - a winner of the 1000Km of Nurburgring race.

ps: my original intention was to focus on the Toyota, but then I decided to do a broader Group7 intro, thus the abuse of Wikipedia material, which I'm generally against.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
expy said:
Whole lot of server maintenance going on lately.
Stupid question time: what does server maintenance mean exactly? What are they doing with the servers/what do companies normally do?

Truespeed

So if you had to choose between a Playseat Evolution or a Wheel Stand Pro for a G27 which would you choose? I'm sort or leaning towards the Wheel Stand Pro because of its superior build quality, portability and ease of stowage.

-viper-

Banned
chubigans said:
Stupid question time: what does server maintenance mean exactly? What are they doing with the servers/what do companies normally do?
Probably preparing for a patch of some kind? Haven't been able to log on the servers all day today.

If I do try signing in on PSN, the game hangs. So the only solution is to play the game offline.

Top Bottom