• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Truespeed

chubigans said:
Stupid question time: what does server maintenance mean exactly? What are they doing with the servers/what do companies normally do?

It could mean a couple of things. Normally whenever you update the client (GT5) you also need to make respective updates to the server side software to account for the client changes. It could also mean that they're adding additional server side functionality to the game.

-viper-

Banned
I need some help - what car should I use for the Historic Racing Car cup? My '69 Stringray Corvette isn't anywhere near as fast enough to beat the 700hp Toyota 7 and the Chapperal 2J.

dwebo

gundamkyoukai said:
God i am going to have to buy the fucking X1.
The time trials seem impossible with a control WTF .
This fucking sucks, o well .

EDIT has anyone on GAF won it yet ?
I can only bronze the second event :lol

I give up easily, though. I'm waiting for them to patch in easier time splits between the medals before I give it any more serious attempts. Bronze shouldn't be fuck hard, for any event IMO. Don't want to give free X1s to the plebs? Make it require all golds then! Most of my motivation dried up after I saw how hard it was to drive competently. Not exactly something I'm going to want to bust out for a relaxing drive.

cilonen said:
I did read that if you level up a B spec driver to open the challenge in B spec they'll get at least bronze easily and win the car. I can't vouch for this though, I'm a long way off those kind of levels.
I did b-spec for 25-30 and you can't do this.

dwebo said:
I can only bronze the second event :lol

I give up easily, though. I'm waiting for them to patch in easier time splits between the medals before I give it any more serious attempts. Bronze shouldn't be fuck hard, for any event IMO. Don't want to give free X1s to the plebs? Make it require all golds then! Most of my motivation dried up after I saw how hard it was to drive competently. Not exactly something I'm going to want to bust out for a relaxing drive.

Someone at GTplanet said that you get a free X1 when you get to Level 35 in B-Spec.

dwebo

SolidSnakex said:
Someone at GTplanet said that you get a free X1 when you get to Level 35 in B-Spec.
If that's the case, then I'm definitely not going to try to bronze them anymore :lol

-viper- said:
I need some help - what car should I use for the Historic Racing Car cup? My '69 Stringray Corvette isn't anywhere near as fast enough to beat the 700hp Toyota 7 and the Chapperal 2J.
Tuned cobra you get from some event or another, b-spec probably. B-spec really is the answer to everything!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
blu said:
Since we all love cars, I'll take this opportunity (namely, my ps3 still being away) to try to kickstart a racing history talk here in this thread, where we, gaffers, would post facts, curious tidbits, or just chat about our favorite classic racers. So perhaps next time we see a vintage racing car on the track next to us, our reaction might not come down to 'Ugh, ugly standard/Wow, nice premium' (I jest, I know gaffers love their vintage racers).

I think a good way to start this would be with FIA's Group7 / CanAm prototypes - encompassing such iconic series as the original Can-Am, the Japanese CanAm/Group7 series (Japan Grand Prix, later evolved into SuperGT), and the early Euro Interserie.

Among those, a few cars stood out as historic cornernstones in car racing, and low and behold, some of those found there way into Polyphony's GT series.

Toyota 7 - the spirit of a nation determined to compete with the best of them.
Chaparral 2J - a car so revolutionary that it raises eyebrows even today.

Relatives to the above / long-distance runners also found in GT:

Ford GT40 Mk I - the car that raised Ford to the top of endurance racing fame, a descendant of the cult Lola lineage.
Ford GT40 Mk IV - a LeMans' and Sebring winner, and undoubtedly the most evolved specimen in the GT40 family.
Chaparral 2D - a winner of the 1000Km of Nurburgring race.

ps: my original intention was to focus on the Toyota, but then I decided to do a broader Group7 intro, thus the abuse of Wikipedia material, which I'm generally against.
Great idea! Hopefully I'll be able to add to the list...my knowledge of cars is not too good. :(

Melville

SolidSnakex said:

Really?! I'm lvl. 34 :eek: :eek: Was planning to get to lvl. 40 because the X1 challenge is too hard for me :lol

-viper-

Banned
dwebo said:
If that's the case, then I'm definitely not going to try to bronze them anymore :lol

Tuned cobra you get from some event or another, b-spec probably. B-spec really is the answer to everything!
Ah shit. I've traded that car away for something else. :\

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
-viper- said:
Those Group7's are true monsters. Try a tuned GT40 Mk4 (assuming the stock one has the 7.0L 500bhp engine).

chubigans said:
Great idea! Hopefully I'll be able to add to the list...my knowledge of cars is not too good. :(
Glad you like it, and don't worry - part of the idea is that people who love cars could actually learn something new about their objects of passion ; )

brentech

Got all golds for professional level B-Spec, got my Zonda R '09 and then my random level 12 was the RUF CTR2 '96

In the not so exciting news....you only get a horn for reaching 100 cars. wtf-mate

blu said:
Since we all love cars, I'll take this opportunity (namely, my ps3 still being away) to try to kickstart a racing history talk here in this thread, where we, gaffers, would post facts, curious tidbits, or just chat about our favorite classic racers. So perhaps next time we see a vintage racing car on the track next to us, our reaction might not come down to 'Ugh, ugly standard/Wow, nice premium' (I jest, I know gaffers love their vintage racers).

I think a good way to start this would be with FIA's Group7 / CanAm prototypes - encompassing such iconic series as the original Can-Am, the Japanese CanAm/Group7 series (Japan Grand Prix, later evolved into SuperGT), and the early Euro Interserie.

Among those, a few cars stood out as historic cornernstones in car racing, and low and behold, some of those found there way into Polyphony's GT series.

Toyota 7 - the spirit of a nation determined to compete with the best of them.
Chaparral 2J - a car so revolutionary that it raises eyebrows even today.

Relatives to the above / long-distance runners also found in GT:

Ford GT40 Mk I - the car that raised Ford to the top of endurance racing fame, a descendant of the cult Lola lineage.
Ford GT40 Mk IV - a LeMans' and Sebring winner, and undoubtedly the most evolved specimen in the GT40 family.
Chaparral 2D - a winner of the 1000Km of Nurburgring race.

ps: my original intention was to focus on the Toyota, but then I decided to do a broader Group7 intro, thus the abuse of Wikipedia material, which I'm generally against.

On this note, I've seen the Ford RS200 pop up a few times, but I'm waiting until I see the rally version to buy it.

For those who don't know, the Ford RS200 was designed for the famous but short-lived Group B Rally Championship.

darkwing

brentech said:
Got all golds for professional level B-Spec, got my Zonda R '09 and then my random level 12 was the RUF CTR2 '96

In the not so exciting news....you only get a horn for reaching 100 cars. wtf-mate
is it the ice cream truck horn?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
weekend_warrior said:
On this note, I've seen the Ford RS200 pop up a few times, but I'm waiting until I see the rally version to buy it.

For those who don't know, the Ford RS200 was designed for the famous but short-lived Group B Rally Championship.
Nice, I always wondered what twisted purposes RS200 was built for (well, aside from homologation ; ) since I first encountered it in GT4.

Apropos, GroupB is the material proof why rally public should stay away from the track :/

ed: Since we already brought up GT40 Mk4, it'd be only fair to also introduce its nemesis on the racetrack - the Ferrari 330 P4 (a particularly good article, btw).

brentech

darkwing said:
is it the ice cream truck horn?
lol - that'd be pretty funny, but I honestly haven't listened to or installed a single horn I've aquired.

edit: took the time to cycle through the random horns I've aquired....couldn't really be a less exciting feature in my book

CozMick

Banned
For Fucks Sake!

I demand my multi player back, damn you PD.

unless of course you're adding features within the next day, then everything is fine!

a1m

Banned
CozMick said:
For Fucks Sake!

I demand my multi player back, damn you PD.

unless of course you're adding features within the next day, then everything is fine!
This is a good chance to level up your b-spec driver.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Grand Tour - Toscana at night

O.M.G

Incredible, the speed, the lighting,the (simulated) fireworks.
Amazing.

Fersis said:
Grand Tour - Toscana at night

O.M.G

Incredible, the speed, the lighting,the (simulated) fireworks.
Amazing.

I must be missing something with this one. I literally couldn't see the road for most of the race. Can I change my headlights so they're actually illuminating the road?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
LabouredSubterfuge said:
I must be missing something with this one. I literally couldn't see the road for most of the race. Can I change my headlights so they're actually illuminating the road?
Thats why so great. Its incredible from start to finish.
(And you can turn some lights with R1 but ive seen more lights on the control layout option)

Fersis said:
Thats why so great. Its incredible from start to finish.
(And you can turn some lights with R1 but ive seen more lights on the control layout option)

Yeah, I was nearly 10 seconds off 1st place simply because even with the race line on I couldn't see for fuck.

iam220

Melfice7 said:
PD needs to add money prizes in online races FAST.. grinding on A/B spec is boring as hell..

They need to add it everywhere. I hope they add it to time trials as well, payouts can be on a per lap basis with amount depending on how close you come to the WR.

UFRA

Just finished getting all golds for all of the AMG Special Events (except Expert which I don't have unlocked yet). :D

fuckyea.jpg

feelsgoodman.jpg

For some reason the beginner level individual sector tests were the hardest. My first try a few weeks ago on the full lap test I got silver. Tonight it took me 1 try and I golded it with about 12 seconds to spare. The full laps were scaring me the most, but turned out to be the easiest.

The intermediate full lap took me 2 tries. First time I missed it by 5 seconds. Then I just pushed a bit harder and got gold with 2 seconds to spare.

Now I'm back to having every event, race, and license golded up to this point.

Withnail

-viper- said:
I heard you are required to leave the PS3 running for this feature to work. :\
No way that's true. When you Share a driver or car in-game it's uploaded to PD's servers to be used in Remote Races (this is described in the in-game manual). There would be no need to do that if was just a PSP-style remote play thing.

lol... 4 hours / 210 laps of bspec racing later. 35k credit reward for first place.

Having to repeat events is utterly retarded too. They should have significantly upped the XP rewards for bspec.

darkwing

Withnail said:
No way that's true. When you Share a driver or car in-game it's uploaded to PD's servers to be used in Remote Races (this is described in the in-game manual). There would be no need to do that if was just a PSP-style remote play thing.
hmm if thats the case, won't the servers explode from running thousands of races :lol

EL Beefo

Quick question for people with the DF-GT, does it have hard mount points like the G27? Logitech has mounting point measurements of the G27 on their site but I can't find anything for the DF-GT.

Oh fuck. The last intermediate rally course is kicking my ass. I can't even manage to sneak to 3rd place, and that's after obliterating everybody on the previous snow course.

darkwing

EL Beefo said:
Quick question for people with the DF-GT, does it have hard mount points like the G27? Logitech has mounting point measurements of the G27 on their site but I can't find anything for the DF-GT.
what do you mean hard points?

Goldrusher

SteelAttack said:
Oh fuck. The last intermediate rally course is kicking my ass. I can't even manage to sneak to 3rd place, and that's after obliterating everybody on the previous snow course.
What car ?

I think I used Loeb's C4 WRC (win one by golding all Loeb events) and don't remember it being that difficult. For the following events (expert ?) I used the Lancia Delta rally car, which you win in the Trofeo Gallardo in A-spec.

The Chef

AHHHHH!!!
My skyline doesn't stand a chance in the Gran Turismo All Stars event. What should I save up and buy? I got $1.6million.

Goldrusher

The Chef said:
AHHHHH!!!
My skyline doesn't stand a chance in the Gran Turismo All Stars event. What should I save up and buy? I got $1.6million.
Nothing.

Win Like The Wind for a Minolta 88.
If you can't win Like The Wind, win the B-spec Miata event ("NR-A Roadster Cup") for a Mazda Furai. Use some of your money to (fully) tune it.
If you don't have a Miata, get your IB License. You get a Miata there. All bronze suffice.

Goldrusher said:
What car ?

I think I used Loeb's C4 WRC (win one by golding all Loeb events) and don't remember it being that difficult. For the following events (expert ?) I used the Lancia Delta rally car, which you win in the Trofeo Gallardo in A-spec.
I'm using a Delta HF Integrale. I had little trouble on dirt, I smoked everyone on snow, but the last one on a regular road is killing me. I get good partial times, but somehow between the last checkpoint and the finish line I lose all my advantage and everyone beats me by 4 seconds or more, lol.

I tried my luck with Loeb's events, but they're way above my league. I honestly can't see myself golding them.

UFRA

What races are you guys using to grind for money? (preferably A-Spec, but if you know some good B-Spec ones that helps too)

Some of you on my friends list have like 8,000,000+ credits lol.

Currently I'm at the same point in both A-Spec and B-Spec - about half way through the Expert series. (completing it from the top down, so all of the events on the bottom, plus 2 in the middle left to go)

So any tips on what I could farm for cash at this point would be great. I noticed the British Lightweights (Expert series) race on London produces 24,000 credits for a win. The race lasts 3 minutes, so I thought it may be a good one to farm.

Any other tips are appreciated. :p

UFRA said:
What races are you guys using to grind for money? (preferably A-Spec, but if you know some good B-Spec ones that helps too)

Some of you on my friends list have like 8,000,000+ credits lol.

Currently I'm at the same point in both A-Spec and B-Spec - about half way through the Expert series. (completing it from the top down, so all of the events on the bottom, plus 2 in the middle left to go)

So any tips on what I could farm for cash at this point would be great. I noticed the British Lightweights (Expert series) race on London produces 24,000 credits for a win. The race lasts 3 minutes, so I thought it may be a good one to farm.

Any other tips are appreciated. :p
This is relevant to my interests as well, I'm starting the expert series.

Goldrusher said:
I'd like to see time trial events as well.
And at the end of every week, 100K credits if you're in the top 100 in any of them. 1 million if you're number one.

Prologue even had a few events like that, and you only had 15 minutes to do a handful laps. And that was it.

Listen to this man PD. We need prizes in the time trials, and online in general.

Would make the chase for 1031 a little easier.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SteelAttack said:
I'm using a Delta HF Integrale. I had little trouble on dirt, I smoked everyone on snow, but the last one on a regular road is killing me. I get good partial times, but somehow between the last checkpoint and the finish line I lose all my advantage and everyone beats me by 4 seconds or more, lol.

I tried my luck with Loeb's events, but they're way above my league. I honestly can't see myself golding them.
Is the weather fixed on that event? I'm sure I got screwed by forgetting to put intermediate tyres on when it rained on SS2, then I put inters on for SS4 and it was dry :/ sometimes there is no rain falling but the track is still wet, but it's really hard to tell from the static screen before each stage.

UFRA

seattle6418 said:
Listen to this man PD. We need prizes in the time trials, and online in general.

Would make the chase for 1031 a little easier.

What the game also needs is a virtual checklist.

A simple, text based list that you open up in the game and there's either a checked box next to the car's name or there isn't. Simple.

Also, when you see cars in the new or used dealership, when you click on the car and view it there could be a simple indicator somewhere in the car's information such as "Acquired []" or if you have it "Acquired [x]".

As a side project, it would be pretty amazing to slowly work towards owning all 1,031 cars. But it's nearly impossible with no actual checklist. Considering there's so many different versions of various cars... Even the CE Apex book doesn't have all 1,031 cars so I can't even use that to verify what cars I have missing or not.

Top Bottom