• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Everything, and i mean EVERYTHING regarding interface is AWFUL in this game.
I have to fucking go and watch every shitty car in the used dealer 'cause it wont at least report power, transmission, anything on the thumbnails?!

Also, I was looking into my installed files: less then 6,8GB?
It says the installation takes at least 8Gig and and also I have all the other stuff to keep installing day-by-day? How big are your installs?
Loading times are starting to pissing me off, especially when i wanna have a go at the patents and special events...

Mush

lr1Wf.jpg

RB9wB.jpg

7LtUb.jpg

Shaneus

Dash Kappei said:
I have to fucking go and watch every shitty car in the used dealer 'cause it wont at least report power, transmission, anything on the thumbnails?!

It says the installation takes at least 8Gig and and also I have all the other stuff to keep installing day-by-day? How big are your installs?
Loading times are starting to pissing me off, especially when i wanna have a go at the patents and special events...
I bought a Momentus XT HDD (platter/SSD hybrid HDD) with the explicit idea of shortening all load times knowing that there was an 8gb install needed for GT5. It seemed to do fuck all :lol

darkwing

the AMG events are absolutely fabulous, the sensation of driving on the Nurburgring is just sublime

and then I tried the B-Spec Gallardo event, @#*@* this game, B. Bob is just content to stay on his current 7th place even though i have tuned that Gallardo

yeah this game is awesome as it plays around with your emotions :lol

dwebo

Dash Kappei said:

6,724 MB here. The disc still spins up every few minutes during a race, even after turning off music. Damnit, just dump everything on the hard drive!

After seeing that digital foundry post earlier, I'm thinking about swapping in the 40gb SSD currently in one of my notebooks, though I probably won't since I'm lazy. Also, a minute load before a 9 hour b-spec event is kinda silly to slim down at this point :lol

Juicy Bob

darkwing said:
the AMG events are absolutely fabulous, the sensation of driving on the Nurburgring is just sublime

and then I tried the B-Spec Gallardo event, @#*@* this game, B. Bob is just content to stay on his current 7th place even though i have tuned that Gallardo

yeah this game is awesome as it plays around with your emotions :lol
InNId.jpg

3LoUQ.jpg

B5fLv.jpg

qWLAI.jpg

expy

Banned
Shaneus said:
I bought a Momentus XT HDD (platter/SSD hybrid HDD) with the explicit idea of shortening all load times knowing that there was an 8gb install needed for GT5. It seemed to do fuck all :lol
SSDs almost halve the load times.

expy

Banned
Shaneus said:
Hopefully the caching algorithm improves over time because it doesn't seem like things have improved... yet.
Should have specified... "certain" SSDs halve load times. Guess it has to do with how fast the seek times are on the SSD itself.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Shaneus said:

Ahahah, you're insane. I like that, grabbing the bull by the balls, if the mountain won't come to me than I better go get that motherfucker, right? :lol

dwebo said:
6,724 MB here. The disc still spins up every few minutes during a race, even after turning off music. Damnit, just dump everything on the hard drive!

This. Also what the.. we have the same exact install, I've just checked! Is that the max :?

After seeing that digital foundry post earlier, I'm thinking about swapping in the 40gb SSD currently in one of my notebooks, though I probably won't since I'm lazy. Also, a minute load before a 9 hour b-spec event is kinda silly to slim down at this point

That's not fair, I'm not into endurance races yet!
How do you arrange that? Do you baby-sit the driver every how often? Don't tell me you sit there an watch the whole thing to have a chance at first place or I'm gonna kill myself before doing that...

edit: Juicy Bob those are the best yet by a country mile, hilarious :lol:lol

dwebo

Dash Kappei said:
This. Also what the.. we have the same exact install, I've just checked! Is that the max :?

That's not fair, I'm not into endurance races yet!
How do you arrange that? Do you baby-sit the driver every how often? Don't tell me you sit there an watch the whole thing to have a chance at first place or I'm gonna kill myself before doing that...

edit: Juicy Bob those are the best yet by a country mile, hilarious :lol:lol
Ahh, maybe. The only stuff that still shows the little install pop-up are random standard cars in the used dealership, which I doubt take up much space. I could've sworn the install was 6.4 or 6.6 gb though, so it hasn't really added much either after a few weeks, relatively speaking anyway.

As for the endurance races, I just give them an overpowered car and go to bed!

I'm on the third B-spec endurance race. I'm glad I got that roadster one out of the way. I had to babysit him until he overlaps everybody to make sure he'll have 100% chance to win.

Before I let him drive for 2 hours unattended and the 2nd place guy was 1 second behind him...

160 hp car vs a maxed out 251 hp car...at least he was still in first place though :lol

Love that B-spec meme. There should be one for the fear of overtaking.

sl4sh79

Patrick Bateman said:
IA 10 is the worst shit I've encountered in the game thus far...

Opponents bumpin into you left and right, but if you just slightly touch them: DISQUALIFIED!

came here to post the same...

aargh! it's getting me crazy!

after something like 50 tries I even had to switch some assists back on (I usually go without - DS3 btw) to keep that damned lambo on the track and I managed finally got 9th with 2/3 of the last lap to do and... BUMP!!

grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

any insight? (I need the prize truck, of course...)

Dead Man

Juicy Bob said:
Oh god, so perfect!!! :lol :lol :lol

Crakatak187 said:
I'm on the third B-spec endurance race. I'm glad I got that roadster one out of the way. I had to babysit him until he overlaps everybody to make sure he'll have 100% chance to win.

Before I let him drive for 2 hours unattended and the 2nd place guy was 1 second behind him...

160 hp car vs a maxed out 251 hp car...at least he was still in first place though :lol

I have come to the conclusion for B spec that you want your driver to be as much in red as possible when creating them, and selecting their temperament. I had my first few drivers created way over on cool, and they are slow as shit, all the time. The last 2 I created had red temperaments, and seem to drop off much less once they are in the lead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Crakatak187 said:

what level driver? mine owned the roadster endurance race, its one of the most guaranteed ones, usually lapping everyone 2 or 3 times. I think he's in a 200HP car, nothing miraculous. I have to babysit until he gets into the lead, but then I just watch TV.

The Indy 500 was a challenge though. I foolishly assumed the formula GT would own it, but I ended up 8th, even after tweaking the transmission. Minolta stormed it though.

Shaneus

Dash Kappei said:
Ahahah, you're insane. I like that, grabbing the bull by the balls, if the mountain won't come to me than I better go get that motherfucker, right? :lol
Well, I *could've* gone for a straight SSD, but that would be pretty useless for PlayTV :lol The XT is only about $70AU more than the equivalent 2.5" SATA and *may* (or may not :lol ) improve performance. Better to get it over and done with now than wonder if I could've improved the loading by a few ms ;)

offshore

Suitably late, but having finally been able to play GT5 for a few days now, here's my impressions.

+ Nurburgring + Night + Rain = just incredible. A truly terrifying experience...especially in my insanely souped-up SLS-AMG :lol (I love that car btw)

+ Night racing in general is sublime...I love how the dashboard instruments light up when it transitions from day to night. PD have really nailed night racing, graphically...but it's a real shame that there are only a few tracks where you really need your lights.

+ Special Events are a stroke of genius, and I can only hope that more types of motorsport are represented in the future. It's a great way to introduce yourself into new types of racing, and while there are certainly still AI/realism problems - I won my first kart race by some twelve seconds, even though they're all the same power..wtf? - they're enjoyable to learn and to participate in.

+ Weather effects are solid start...but looking forward to their evolution on PS4. Again, it's just a shame so few tracks support weather. Rain looks pretty good, though snow looks a little more suspect.

+ Course Maker too is a solid start...but definitely a few more options needed. A setting for Reverse or Mirror, plus an option to define elevation changes would be welcome. But it's quick and easy...and generated tracks load faster than the normal tracks, so that's a plus. It's also a missed opportunity that generated tracks don't play more of a role in A-Spec events.

- Speaking of, A Spec is hideously out of date. To see virtually the same structure from previous GT's is really disappointing, and I hope that for GT6 there is a revolution, and PD get with the times and introduce a career mode.

- Truly baffling game design choices. No mincing words...I hate the levelling system. It seems like a cyncial way to artifically prolong the life of the game. If I have the credits, why do I have to wait until I'm a certain level before I can buy the car? Hope this RPG element is gone by GT6.

- AI...don't really need to elaborate.

- Standard cars have only served to undermine PD. Now make no mistake, I'm glad standard cars are there; I would rather have them than not.....but I'm not the sort of person who's going to zoom in to the nth degree and find every jaggy/low texture/etc and post it on the internet from everyone to laugh at. A huge mistake to include them. Not to mention the many people who would have been surprised to find that 800 cars are not what they thought they would be.

But my single biggest issue with GT5 are the technical problems, which are frankly awful. The frame rate drops - and tearing especially - are absolutely disgraceful, and for a studio that prides itself on technical excellence, it makes you wonder who signed off on releasing the game in this technical state.

All-in-all, a great game, but it's unfortunate to discover that we'll have to wait until the PS4 to see GT6 be able to do the things PD want GT5 to do, but can't. When a simple action such as turning on the windscreen wipers causes huge tearing, it's becomes pretty obvious that the PS3 isn't to up to the task. Same for the shadows...once PD have a more powerful piece of hardware underneath them, the shadows could be something really special.

Factor in that by PS4 there should be at least four or five hundred premium cars, so PD can get rid of the standards. Plus, now that PD have broken their weather "duck" if you like, they can only improve and build upon what's definitely a solid start. So the future's bright I think...just a shame it's probably around four years away...
at least...

nothing about the hilariousy bad interface? the constant waiting and loading for the most mundane of tasks?

win a car, take about 1 minute to put it in your garage... uhhh wat?

Templar Wizard said:
nothing about the hilariousy bad interface? the constant waiting and loading for the most mundane of tasks?

The concept of being in a car is a joke too. I am not IN a car ffs!

Gran Turismo PSP is a better game than GT5.
- Choose game type
- Choose car
- Choose track and difficulty
GO

Templar Wizard said:

I like the interface. And I'm not alone here.

KennyLinder said:
The concept of being in a car is a joke too. I am not IN a car ffs!

- Choose game type
- Choose car
GO
Yeah... No. I think you might have missed the option to change the car right before you start the event.

- Choose difficulty (series)
- Choose track
- Choose car
GO

Or, in the arcade mode (which is pretty much what the entire GT PSP is)
Choose difficulty
Choose car
Choose track
Go

Metalmurphy said:
I like the interface. And I'm not alone here.

Yeah... No.

They need the same option in GT5. Just pick a car, drive around a track and win money. The whole event structure which is bare bones to say the least is a joke in GT5.

There is no point in buying a Nissan GT-R in GT5. The car that has a computer UI designed by PD themselves and they have a crazy relationship with Nissan. They didn't think to have at least one "Nissan GT-R Special Event"? LOLZ.

GT5 needs an Event Maker. Imagine creating one (you can even create the splash screen using photo mode) and then send the events to your friends etc. Cars, Tracks, AI difficulty, prize money etc. It would be ace.

KennyLinder said:
They need the same option in GT5. Just pick a car, drive around a track and win money. The whole event structure which is bare bones to say the least is a joke in GT5.

There is no point in buying a Nissan GT-R in GT5. The car that has a computer UI designed by PD themselves and they have a crazy relationship with Nissan. They didn't think to have at least one "Nissan GT-R Special Event"? LOLZ.

So they should have had events for all cars? :/ I mean, you mention the GT-R, someone here (like me) might love the Evo X. They didn't think to have at least one Mitsubishi Evo X Special Event? LOLZ!

There are problems with the events, but that's not one of them. I think the lack of dynamic night/rain is one of them for example.

Dead Man

KennyLinder said:

This would singlehandedly elevate the game from flawed but great, to slightly flawed masterpiece! :D Really, it's the one feature it needs most. As you say, there are no races that suit so many of the cars. It is ridiculous.

Metalmurphy said:
So they should have had events for all cars? :/ I mean, you mention the GT-R, someone here (like me) might love the Evo X. They didn't think to have at least one Mitsubishi Evo X Special Event? LOLZ!

There are problems with the events, but that's not one of them. I think the lack of dynamic night/rain is one of them for example.

Yes, there should be an event for the Evo X. And the Subarus. They used to. These are important cars and most have been forgotten about in GT5. There is an event for cunting MX5s!

offshore

The loading, while an issue, is hard to level at PD's door. If the BD drive in the PS3 wasn't so slow, it wouldn't be an issue. At least the PS4 wil have a faster one.
KennyLinder said:
- Choose game type
- Choose car
GO
What's the difference with GT5? I didn't have any problem on the very first boot up navigating to Arcade > Single Race > SSR5 > SLS AMG > Go

Dead Man

offshore said:
The loading, while an issue, is hard to level at PD's door. If the BD drive in the PS3 wasn't so slow, it wouldn't be an issue. At least the PS4 wil have a faster one.

What's the difference with GT5? I didn't have any problem on the very first boot up navigating to Arcade > Single Race > SSR5 > SLS AMG > Go
NO MONEY OR XP

Edit: And yes, the loading can be laid at PD. Before a race, fine. But it would be nice if they did the majority of the loading after going to the screen to do setups and see the grid. And the loading times between menu screens are ridiculous.

offshore

Dead Man said:
NO MONEY OR XP
Fair point. Unreleastic to expect it though, as that would just negate the whole point of GT Mode. A better solution would maybe to have had races in Arcade that won a standard car.
Dead Man said:
Edit: And yes, the loading can be laid at PD. Before a race, fine. But it would be nice if they did the majority of the loading after going to the screen to do setups and see the grid. And the loading times between menu screens are ridiculous.
I'm not going to argue loading couldn't have been better handled; for example, when waiting for license tests to load, it probably would have been better to have the license test blurb on the loading screen, so you can read what you have to do before you get there.

As there's no doubt that when the menu does load up, very few actually read the text and most just going steaming in.

Dead Man

offshore said:
Fair point. Unreleastic to expect it though, as that would just negate the whole point of GT Mode. A better solution would maybe to have had races in Arcade that won a standard car.

I'm not going to argue loading couldn't have been better handled; for example, when waiting for license tests to load, it probably would have been better to have the license test blurb on the loading screen, so you can read what you have to do before you get there.

As there's no doubt that when the menu does load up, very few actually read the text and most just going steaming in.
Yeah, I don't expect money or XP in arcade, but there is no way to just race a car and earn money or XP in GT mode either. Even a small amount. One make races don't deliver either, so you have to choose whether to make it a close race in a car you may be bored with, or take your new car out and not find a decent race for it. Either way is not satisfactory. A quick race option in GT mode would solve this. Of course, increasing the rewards in GT mode would alleviate some of this, since you could do some races in Arcade without sacrificing so much money or XP that is so needed.

To commemorate a rather legendary run...

YiBbc.jpg

I decided that the Indy 500 wasn't challenging enough so I decided to do it with only 2 drivers. I have to hand it to them, they did they job, even after a huge crash because one of the arshole other drivers swerved across the track when they came out of the pits.

I swear I saw one of them being medevaced whilst the results screen was showing. :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Psychotext said:
To commemorate a rather legendary run...

YiBbc.jpg

I decided that the Indy 500 wasn't challenging enough so I decided to do it with only 2 drivers. I have to hand it to them, they did they job, even after a huge crash because one of the arshole other drivers swerved across the track when they came out of the pits.

I swear I saw one of them being medevaced whilst the results screen was showing. :lol

but did you leave them to it, with 10% autopit, or did you force them to run with zero strength for ages?

darkwing

jockamo said:
GTTV is awesome. I just finished watching the Nurburgring 24 special. Very entertaining.

yup the GTTV is awesome, can't wait for more updates, i just wished you can watch it while B-Specing lol

GodofWine

Are there 4wd events in this one...I haven't it seen them yet...and for some reason this popped into my head this morning...

Im stressed at work...my daughter was up till 3am with a cough last night...the Phillies sign Cliff Lee...and what pops into my head for no reason...where are the 4wd events?

also...there needs to be a better way to make money...I need money.

I'd pay a dollar per million credits...20 bucks, take it, give me the money!

darkwing said:
:lol don't they make a mistake?
Not these two, they're legendary. :D

They seem to get caught up a bit more when it comes to lapping people though... and I guess it's possible they could have avoided the crash if they'd had a bit more energy left. I'd say they lapped about a second a lap slower at zero strength vs full. (Maximum aggression)

Top Bottom