• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

The Chef

X-Frame said:
Pretty sure the SLS is not an option for the German Touring Championship or else I would've beaten it already.

Oh your right. I was thinking of the one for Extreme.

Being level 20 I realize that at this point I really really hate experience points. I absolutely can not beat the GT All Stars Race with any of my cars so the best I can do is try and beat Like The Wind, but of course I need to be level 21 for that so now I have to level grind which at this point takes FOREVER.
Seriously lame.

darkwing

mrklaw said:
Lexus ISF concept '08 seems to get recommended a lot. I think its the only qualifying car in the premium dealership - any others are standards and possibly more expensive.

thanks, i'll give it a go

edit: hmm don't you get that car as a price in a series?

I am running the Logitech Z5500's in DTS 5.1 and I can barely ever hear my own cars engine when racing close to other cars, it is even worse with headphones in. Is this just me or is it just another awful bit of bullshit in GT5 that a simple option slider would resolve?

Dear Kaz, let me teach you how not to be a retard.

Engine SFX
0-----------^--100 (no need for 150, that is dumb)

Other Cars SFX
0-----^--------100

Wow! It is like I went to super smart awesome mega number one programing school A++

As my excitement of completing new events hit the Endurance only wall, I am getting more and more frustrated with how awful so many design choices in this game are.

I try to take new whips to a quick 1 lap Ring race to ear a few $ and enjoy my sweet ride but if I am equally matched with the competition I can't hear my own fucking revs for 98% of the lap. This kills me and my casual enjoyment of the game.

The biggest sin this game has done is making it hard for you to get the cars. They could have had a shitty a-spec mode, but as long as you could get a lot of cars quickly, it would be forgiven.

I´m now on my thrid day waiting for the Formula GT to show up on the used small lot. I´m not doing any artificial cycling, i just want to know how long it takes to show up.

What happens is, since i intend to participate on events like the WRS from GTP, i want to collect all the cars, so i can be set if a future event asks car A or B. So after a couple of grinding races i just go in, check for the Formula, not there, and end up buying three or four shitboxes that i might use some day:lol

I think i bought 30 last night.

gutterboy44 said:
I am running the Logitech Z5500's in DTS 5.1 and I can barely ever hear my own cars engine when racing close to other cars, it is even worse with headphones in. Is this just me or is it just another awful bit of bullshit in GT5 that a simple option slider would resolve?

Dear Kaz, let me teach you how not to be a retard.

Engine SFX
0-----------^--100 (no need for 150, that is dumb)

Other Cars SFX
0-----^--------100

Wow! It is like I went to super smart awesome mega number one programing school A++

As my excitement of completing new events hit the Endurance only wall, I am getting more and more frustrated with how awful so many design choices in this game are.

I try to take new whips to a quick 1 lap Ring race to ear a few $ and enjoy my sweet ride but if I am equally matched with the competition I can't hear my own fucking revs for 98% of the lap. This kills me and my casual enjoyment of the game.

Gameplay sliders changed sports games forever and right now if you make a game without those option it will be considered unforgivable.

More examples for you:

Draft effect 0--------------100
Camera height 0-----------------100
Camera tilt 0--------------100
Wind noise 0--------------100
In car view shaking 0------------100
Level of opponents on a-spec mode 0------------100

And the list goes on...

Simple solutions for stupid problems. They should hold a "patch request/idea" thread somewhere like sports devs hold in forums like operationsports.

l2ounD

What car did you guys use for the Extreme American series?
I see the Ford GT race car in the used lot, but that thing cost like almost 3 mill. :/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
brentech said:
It's wanky, just let it run it's course. It'll finish...
It's been on 50 seconds remaining for the past 10 minutes. My roommate is losing it waiting for it to start. :lol

EDIT: Holy shit it just stopped again at 3 seconds left. :lol

Now I have enough moolah for the F1, just need to keep on playing b-spec (right now at level 17) to get Toyota 7 and hope that the F1 car shows up

l2ounD said:
I see the Ford GT race car in the used lot, but that thing cost like almost 3 mill. :/

Corvette ZR-1 with Race Modification and then fully tuned.

The Chef

LabouredSubterfuge said:

Fantastic. Gonna gift my Furai Concept to my friend who is LV 21 so he can beat Like the Wind...THEN he can use his won car to beat GT All Stars then give me the car. Profit!

spats

The Chef said:
Fantastic. Gonna gift my Furai Concept to my friend who is LV 21 so he can beat Like the Wind...THEN he can use his won car to beat GT All Stars then give me the car. Profit!

Do you win the Furai from an event?

l2ounD said:

I used both the Jeff Gordon´s Nascar i won in the challenge and also a Ford GT LM Spec II (GT4 cover car) that i won in one of those extreme events.

I´m pretty sure i won the Ford GT in one event prior to the american extreme, so if you go with the natural progression of the game, you won´t need to buy any cars, and just use of those. (Ford GT is a lot better).

Both of those races are now my b-spec a-spec grinding battleground. Good credits in one of them, good XP for the bobs in the other.

spats

Thanks for the answers. That's actually the only event in the series which I haven't gotten a medal. My useless b-spec driver comes in last place every time with the car that I had no problems beating the event with. Sigh.

I think it goes without saying that GT5's A-spec and B-spec modes are by far the weakest link in GT5 and the the worst the series has ever seen. The progression from level to level sucks (no AI improvements, damage never matters, tire wear and gas never matter), the variety of races sucks, the prize cars suck, very little about the modes make any sense at all.

weekend_warrior said:
I think it goes without saying that GT5's A-spec and B-spec modes are by far the weakest link in GT5 and the the worst the series has ever seen. The progression from level to level sucks (no AI improvements, damage never matters, tire wear and gas never matter), the variety of races sucks, the prize cars suck, very little about the modes make any sense at all.

Fuel load isn't modeled either. Your car is just as nimble with 95L of gas as it is with 1L. Awesome job guys!

Konosuke

Ken Kutagari is featured as an Executive Producer in the long credits. Was he on Prologue too?
Also, Hugo Boss as well, do they make cars?

seattle6418 said:
Ford GT LM Spec II (GT4 cover car) that i won in one of those extreme events.
: O which one?

Endurance races in the rain can fuck right off. How mindnumbingly tedious.

gutterboy44 said:
Fuel load isn't modeled either. Your car is just as nimble with 95L of gas as it is with 1L. Awesome job guys!
Yeah, that annoys the hell out of me. Takes one of the most important aspects out of endurance racing. I'm betting that the cars don't have different fuel efficiencies either.

The Chef

weekend_warrior said:

I agree that level to level is pretty lame. But this level grinding for experience is absolutely terrible. For the first time since getting the game I genuinely don't want to play because all I can do now is grind to get to level 21 which will probably take me a solid hour or so. So so ridiculous.

gutterboy44 said:

And what is more annoying is that if this information is so irrelevant then at least just remove it and clean up my HUD for god sakes.

gutterboy44 said:

Then something new is wrong. In GT4, i did a ton of endurance races over at GTP and the cars would be significantly faster when low on fuel. I did the 60 lapper yesterday at Grand Valley, but i was so going through the motions that i haven´t noticed if my car was faster or not.

expy

Banned
gutterboy44 said:
Wait till Cote Azur...doesn't go so well :(
I'll probably adjust the gear ratios for that, don't really need huge top speeds on that course, rather have quick gear changes.

seattle6418 said:
Then something new is wrong. In GT4, i did a ton of endurance races over at GTP and the cars would be significantly faster when low on fuel. I did the 60 lapper yesterday at Grand Valley, but i was so going through the motions that i haven´t noticed if my car was faster or not.

I was lapping Laguna Seca pretty consistently for the majority of the endurance race last night in my F1 GT. New tires made a massive difference in my times, but literally draining my tank to empty emergency mode and filling it back to full made no describable difference in handling to me.

The only thing that could be happening is that high downforce cars are modeled so terribly in this game that the ultra grip negates any additional weight in the car. I will test further during the Roadster 4 Hours

GodofWine

Whats the deal with the race mods in this game? In GT3 a race modded car still couldn't compete with an actual 'race car'...Im looking at my Challenger RT and just thinking, boy it would look nice as an RM...but would it still get whooped by cars like the Castrol Tom's Supra ect?

bud

the toscana challenge with the murcielago is a bitch. i keep ending up in second place while still still being seven seconds slower than the first car.

gutterboy44 said:
I will test further during the Roadster 4 Hours
I've been testing it out with high level bspec drivers and the best laps almost never coincide with low fuel, even if I've purposefully gone in and put new tyres on but not refuelled.

GodofWine said:
Whats the deal with the race mods in this game? In GT3 a race modded car still couldn't compete with an actual 'race car'...Im looking at my Challenger RT and just thinking, boy it would look nice as an RM...but would it still get whooped by cars like the Castrol Tom's Supra ect?

Now they really turn into race cars, like in GT1, they are very good.

You might be reffereing to GT2, which had racing mods but the race modded cars were very weak compared to the actual racing cars. Doesn´t seem to be the case with the ones i tried.

They turn into a totaly different beast once modded.

BeeDog

Sorry if this has been asked, but what's the best car for the GT All-Stars A-spec championship on Extreme (lvl 19)? I'm getting my ass whooped while using the race-mod Corvette.

Psychotext said:
I've been testing it out with high level bspec drivers and the best laps almost never coincide with low fuel, even if I've purposefully gone in and put new tyres on but not refuelled.

Ok good, I am not crazy then. Wow, what a dumb fucking oversight. They have weight modeled in the game, why not just throw a place holder ballast approximately where the fuel tank is and have it dynamically change?

Games like F12010 modeled fuel weight really well and it completely changed the racing dynamic throughout the race.

GodofWine

seattle6418 said:
Now they really turn into race cars, like in GT1, they are very good.

You might be reffereing to GT2, which had racing mods but the race modded cars were very weak compared to the actual racing cars. Doesn´t seem to be the case with the ones i tried.

They turn into a totaly different beast once modded.

Cool....more reason to burn money I should be hording.

Goldrusher

l2ounD said:
I had no problems with a Nascar.

BeeDog said:
Sorry if this has been asked, but what's the best car for the GT All-Stars A-spec championship on Extreme (lvl 19)? I'm getting my ass whooped while using the race-mod Corvette.
Minolta 88.

Psychotext said:
Fucksake. That's another crash for me then (It always gets stuck on one of the loading screens if the servers go down when I'm playing).

HOME Button > Playstation Network > Account Management > Triangle > Sign-out. Load finishes in an instant.

Dead Man

Okay, time for another break from this game for me. I finally got a PD Formula car, and the poster who was bitching about the Formula series being arse is spot on. Fucking terrible. I just can't be bothered. There is a disconnect in this game between the hours put in and the enjoyment I get. I am really disappointed. GT5 is what I bough a PS3 for 2 years ago, and while I don't regret buying either it or GT5, the game is just so disappointing. Bizarre decisions all round.

Enough bitching from me, I need to go get some zen if I'm going to be able to compete in Mush's race series! :D

GodofWine

Dead Man said:
Enough bitching from me, I need to go get some zen if I'm going to be able to compete in Mush's race series! :D

Mush backed out for personal reasons...I think the league is in jeopardy...I don't think I'll have enough cash for the car needed either by then.

Dead Man

GodofWine said:
Mush backed out for personal reasons...I think the league is in jeopardy...I don't think I'll have enough cash for the car needed either by then.
Well shit, that's what I get for not keeping up with these things. Hope all is well, Mush!

TTG

h3ro said:
I agree 100%. The "game" part of this game is just so laid out and designed. The leveling gives a sense of progression that really isn't there. Archaic as hell. It's as if the team said "how do we best NOT use all the assets and features we've created while making the single player portion of the game".
So frustrating because all the tools/assets are there to make a fantastic game.

It is a fantastic game, our view is just constantly being obstructed by the way Polyphony has decided to set things up.

It's the best racing game I've played(and I've played just all the major releases in the past 10+ years on consoles :lol ), but it goes beyond that. It goes to a Top Gearish level of magic. I was racing a Ferrari against some other supercars like a week ago. I'm in first place, notice 2nd place on my tail so I push the button to look back. What happens next is a completely amazing scene. I see the engine, rendered beautifully. That signature Ferrari intake manifold, and beyond it, a Mclaren F1(rendered just as amazingly) through the rear view window. Shit was magic.

I get why so many people don't want to put up with it. But I'm content to experience the most amazing racing thing ever done in a videogame, even if I have to look through a keyhole to do it. What needs to be changed is an easy fix, the hard part is done. I'm sure GT6 will be much more inviting, it will make you milk and cookies instead of kicking you in the balls. In the meantime, GT5 is flawed but at the same time brilliant.

Bobo

gutterboy44 said:
Ok good, I am not crazy then. Wow, what a dumb fucking oversight. They have weight modeled in the game, why not just throw a place holder ballast approximately where the fuel tank is and have it dynamically change?

Games like F12010 modeled fuel weight really well and it completely changed the racing dynamic throughout the race.
Hmmm I'm not too sure. I've only done 2 tests with my Peugeot 908 but I did feel that she was more responsive on my low fuel runs, I set my fastest lap with 2 laps to go in the Grand Valley enduro... but then again that was with fairly fresh rubber.

Another test at Le Sarthe... I just wanted to see how far I could go, Managed to get near the end of lap 12 before running out of fuel and unlike GT4 you can't cruise back at 50MPH... I still managed to get back though by sticking it in 6th gear... Again though throttle response did feel better with low fuel or maybe my mind was playing tricks on me. :lol

GodofWine

Oh...for a good time, RUF Yellowbird, maxed out, no assists...WHOA BOY!

Smokes the tires through 4th...undriveable...but crazy fun....total waste of 300K

Top Bottom