• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

brentech said:
Those early ones with the cones I can't remember if I turned ASM off or if it's even on to start, but I recall my first attempts hitting the very first cones or the wall right away.
The lvl21 NASCAR ones were really kicking my ass until I realized that ASM was on. Literally insta-golds once I turned it off.

And for golding all the NASCAR events I got Jimmie Johnsons car. Hopefully I get his magic when using it...

Cool, i wanted this one but instead i got Gordon´s car, which now has almost 2.000 kilometers in it.

About the expert Nascar events, the settings are pure bullshit. Nascars do not have active stability manegement systems, so you don´t need to feel like cheating when you turn it off, because they don´t exist in real life.

dwebo

For the love of God, STOP RAINING! :(

edit: my team had a multi-lap lead, check back later, it's raining and they're 2nd. smh

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've just made this biggest mistake of my life...maybe this deserves its own thread but I'll post it here:

A few days ago I hit lv 30 and get the message that the X1 is available at the dealership. Excited, I go check it out and then decide to save up and buy it rather than doing the challenges. Today, after spending nearly all of my spare time for the past 5 days by grinding, I finally hit 20 million credits and get the message saying that I've reached the maximum amount of money that I can have. As you can imagine, by now I'm really excited to have finally saved enough money to buy the X1. I head straight the dealership, choose the nicest shade of blue, and click "buy".

Game: "Sorry, you must be level 40 to buy this car."
Me: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!" *looks at his current level* (only 31)
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
I completely forgot about having to be a certain level in order to buy a car :lol

So now I've got 20 million credits and my bank account is maxed out so that I can't earn any more credits. I've already bought almost all my favorite cars.
Do I:

A) Buy a the Mazda 787B + Ferrari F1 + something else
B) Buy the Mazda 787B and buy all the upgrades for every car in my garage
C) rage quit :lol
D) something else?

Well, what would you do?

celcius said:
D) something else?

Well, what would you do?

Buy a Ferrari F1, save rest (don't need to spend all of it bro), XP grind B-spec to level 40.

h3ro

weekend_warrior said:
Buy a Ferrari F1, save rest (don't need to spend all of it bro), XP grind B-spec to level 40.

This.

Just makesure you buy the Kimi Raikkonen approved superior #6 F2007 and not the I'm going to be slower than you Massa #5 joint.

dwebo

celcius said:
I've just made this biggest mistake of my life...maybe this deserves its own thread but I'll post it here:
Oh man, I feel bad for you. That must've been a whole ton of laps around Indy :lol

Personally, I probably would've rage quit right there for a few weeks, but that's just me.

Also, if you had spent all that time instead practicing with the x1 in the challenges, you probably could've bronzed all of them and gotten it for free :-/

So my buddy was saying that he read that racing soft tires are actually better in the wet than inters or full wet.

Anyone experience this too? It wouldn't surprise me at all. I swear I was quicker in my softs as it started to rain than my wets the other day. I just figured the track was more wet.

plainr_

celcius said:

A few days ago I hit lv 30 and get the message that the X1 is available at the dealership. Excited, I go check it out and then decide to save up and buy it rather than doing the challenges. Today, after spending nearly all of my spare time for the past 5 days by grinding, I finally hit 20 million credits and get the message saying that I've reached the maximum amount of money that I can have. As you can imagine, by now I'm really excited to have finally saved enough money to buy the X1. I head straight the dealership, choose the nicest shade of blue, and click "buy".

I completely forgot about having to be a certain level in order to buy a car :lol

Sucks dude. Isn't the sebastian vettel challenge unlocked at level 30? You can win the X1 there.

Grayman

celcius said:

So now I've got 20 million credits and my bank account is maxed out so that I can't earn any more credits. I've already bought almost all my favorite cars.
Do I:

D) something else?

Well, what would you do?
I would buy the Mazda and F1, if I got close to the credits again I would buy some super cars to test drive or start collecting Super GT/Rally/Nascar. Stay liquid while keeping under the cap.

Grayman

gutterboy44 said:
So my buddy was saying that he read that racing soft tires are actually better in the wet than inters or full wet.

Anyone experience this too? It wouldn't surprise me at all. I swear I was quicker in my softs as it started to rain than my wets the other day. I just figured the track was more wet.
I have not tested but it would make some sense. Racing softs are meant to be easy mode. Rain and Intermediate are probably based on the hard tires so the gains from Soft could outweigh the wet penalty.

Grayman said:
I have not tested but it would make some sense. Racing softs are meant to be easy mode. Rain and Intermediate are probably based on the hard tires so the gains from Soft could outweigh the wet penalty.

Except racing slicks, no matter how sticky, are like greased glass in the wet.

Dead Man said:
26. It feels like the GrandValley 300 is as quick as I can go for XP, but I haven't cracked the numbers out yet.

I believe you get 65k xp for Grand Vally Enduro, which took about 2 hours with the Minolta. The Polyphony Digital Cup on Extreme gives you about 15k for each of the 5 races, and takes about 1 1/2 hours, plus you'll bank around 350,000 total credits for winning the championship. So that's my go to grinder for right now.

Dead Man

weekend_warrior said:
I believe you get 65k xp for Grand Vally Enduro, which took about 2 hours with the Minolta. The Polyphony Digital Cup on Extreme gives you about 15k for each of the 5 races, and takes about 1 1/2 hours, plus you'll bank around 350,000 total credits for winning the championship. So that's my go to grinder for right now.
Nice one, thanks for the tip. Sounds good.

Edit: And I'm sure most people have figured this out by now, but if you want more of a paint colour, you can trade a car with another account on the same PS3, so you can get as much paint as you want, as long as you can find it on a car and you are patient.

Edit2: Do you mean Dream Car cup? The Digital Cup is a 3 race series in expert.

UFRA

weekend_warrior said:

Are you thinking of a different cup? Because I'm doing the Polyphony Digital cup right now and it's only 3 races and in the Expert level. ;)

I haven't been reading the thread so forgive me if this has been answered.

Will their be another Dec. patch? if so what does it supposed too enhance or add.

Dead Man

UFRA said:
Are you thinking of a different cup? Because I'm doing the Polyphony Digital cup right now and it's only 3 races and in the Expert level. ;)
:D
weekend_warrior said:
Yeah, sorry, the Dream Car Cup. Last series on Extreme.

The PD Cup is good XP grinder for lower levels.
All good, PD Formula car is tearing it up we speak.

Celcius

°Temp. member
gluv65 said:
I haven't been reading the thread so forgive me if this has been answered.

Will their be another Dec. patch? if so what does it supposed too enhance or add.
I think there's supposed to be a patch near the end of December that allows us to back up our GT5 data (removes the copy protection). I really hope it's true...

DeadGzuz

Banned
Anyone have any ideas on winning the second B-spec retro super car race? My supped up 66' Cobra is too much for my guy, he is spinning out too much. I just went from 2nd to 7th, he is driving nuts now. I got gold on the other two races.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
celcius said:
I think there's supposed to be a patch near the end of December that allows us to back up our GT5 data (removes the copy protection). I really hope it's true...

That and B-Spec/GT Anywhere.

B.K.

Good news, everyone. They're going to be upgrading the standard cars to premiums.

Gran Turismo 5 has a mix of gloriously detailed "premium" cars and less detailed "standard cars." In an interview with Famitsu this week, Polyphony prez Kazunori Yamauchi reveals that there are plans in place to upgrade the standard cars to premium status.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/15/flying_get/

I wonder if they're going to upgrade them all or just a few.

Melfice7

Dead Man said:
26. It feels like the GrandValley 300 is as quick as I can go for XP, but I haven't cracked the numbers out yet.

You get 70k xp in that for like 2 hours, its not worth it if you're around the console, but if you just want him to race alone its better than any extreme race

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What is the point of B-spec? I messed around with it a little bit... but my driver, I think he has a learning disability, and it seemed pretty frustrating and boring.

Just a literal grind.

You guys find some enjoyment from this -- not driving? I can't wrap my head around it.

Melfice7

Oh man what a pain it is to get the penniless trophy.. i recommend anyone who starts playing now to spend all the 20k you start with.. or it will be hard to get the right amount after buying a used car

dwebo

B.K. said:
Good news, everyone. They're going to be upgrading the standard cars to premiums.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/15/flying_get/

I wonder if they're going to upgrade them all or just a few.
I'm more interested in the blurb about the late December update. I thought it was already expected that PD would replace standard models with premiums as they model more cars.

Dead Man said:
Yeah, good point.
Endurance races also level 4 drivers instead of just 1.

darkwing

recklessmind said:
What is the point of B-spec? I messed around with it a little bit... but my driver, I think he has a learning disability, and it seemed pretty frustrating and boring.

Just a literal grind.

You guys find some enjoyment from this -- not driving? I can't wrap my head around it.
its when you need to something else like surf Gaf

Melfice7

Best way i found to grind in bspec at lvl 23 is american champ, laguna seca, 12k xp and a surprisingly good cash reward 50k for 15 minutes

expy

Banned
Melfice7 said:
Oh man what a pain it is to get the penniless trophy.. i recommend anyone who starts playing now to spend all the 20k you start with.. or it will be hard to get the right amount after buying a used car
I logged onto my psn account on another ps3, synced trophies, then started a brand new game and got the trophy, re-synced... Then I had all the trophies at home. :lol

Melfice7

expy said:
I logged onto my psn account on another ps3, synced trophies, then started a brand new game and got the trophy, re-synced... Then I had all the trophies at home. :lol

Son of a haxor.. good idea :D

darkwing

expy said:
wow now to find a 2nd ps3 lol

brentech

UFRA said:
Just got my 5th B-Spec driver...

F.Massa!! :lol

Woohoo, I have an F1 driver as a B-Spec driver!
One of my driver's is P. Schumacher
I figure close enough...he's actually done really well for me.

Grayman

Melfice7 said:
I got it without too much work later into the game. Some new cars had given me odd 10s values so I had to look around for something to fix, grabbed 2 wrx, a mclaren F1 and some car washes. Since cash apparently caps at 20M it could also be gamed that way if someone planned what to buy with 20M even.

Top Bottom