• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Solal

Amon-> Come on man... Should we all put a disclaimer stating: "This is my own personal opinion only...feel free to think diiferently."?

I am just frustrated because there is no really recent car in GT5... Which is -IMHO- a shame as you'd expect it to -at least- get the best cars existing at the moment, not 2 years ago...

sun-drop

just discovered the car sharing feature ..wow ... not the giving cars away thing, but the uploading them to yr online garage for others to use in a-spec races ..so cool

actually the whole message board, emailing thing is pretty awesome.

evolution

I think PD should start off with the cars which are easily attainable. Supra, Trueno etc. Im sure some of the staff own a few of these cars.

Angst

Solal said:
Amon-> Come on man... Should we all put a disclaimer stating: "This is my own personal opinion only...feel free to think diiferently."?

I am just frustrated because there is no really recent car in GT5... Which is -IMHO- a shame as you'd expect it to -at least- get the best cars existing at the moment, not 2 years ago...
There are 53 cars from 2010 in the official list. Granted, some are Nascars, but still. There's even the McLaren MP4-12C which you can't even buy yet (even if you had the money).
sun-drop said:
just discovered the car sharing feature ..wow ... not the giving cars away thing, but the uploading them to yr online garage for others to use in a-spec races ..so cool

actually the whole message board, emailing thing is pretty awesome.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you can't share them in the way you think. "Sharing" in PD lingo means other can see your car and it's spec on your profile. Yay

Solal

SmokyDave said:
That list of cars that you feel is red hot leaves me totally cold. It sounds like the headliners for a Need For Speed game. What I feel GT5 needs is more cars from 1970-1990 from outside of Japan.

The thing is, I bet there are plenty of cars already in GT5 that cater to your tastes and plenty in there that cater to mine. They can't model every single car out there, especially not at premium standard.

Well...actually,...no!

I am not fond of the standard cars... and try to avoid them as much as possible... so that reduces muy choice drastically ! I have about 50 premium cars right now and honestly, I am not that interested in the others...

Moreover, as a car fan I thought it would make sense to be able to judge the difference between the Enzo and the FXX... the 599 and the 599GTO. The Zonda Cinque and the R...

And if you can't put all of them (obviously), why not choose the best and/or most recent version (paying DLC anyone?)

If you think the majority would prefere to get a premium miata instead of a Koenigsegg, a Daihatsu instead of a Grumper,...I just think you are wrong...

dwebo said:
How the hell does he not know if they want to add cars/courses as DLC or save for GT6? Shouldn't this have been planned from the outset?

I think that he's very hesitant to say that anything will make it into the game until they've actually got things ready to go. That way no one will be disappointed about something not eventually ending up in the game.

SolidSnakex said:
I think that he's very hesitant to say that anything will make it into the game until they've actually got things ready to go. That way no one will be disappointed about something not eventually ending up in the game.
You mean like the YouTube upload feature?

Dead Man

dwebo said:
How the hell does he not know if they want to add cars/courses as DLC or save for GT6? Shouldn't this have been planned from the outset?

The only things he's sure about are b-spec anywhere and online races on course maker tracks. Wow, two things that should've been in the shipped game! :lol

Hopefully the full interview provides some more useful information.
I get the feeling he has not had to justify a schedule, or his planning for a very long time. He has that distracted air that tenured professors get at university.

SmokyDave

Solal said:
Well...actually,...no!

I am not fond of the standard cars... and try to avoid them as much as possible... so that reduces muy choice drastically ! I have about 50 premium cars right now and honestly, I am not that interested in the others...
I am surprised by this. I felt the premium selection was wide enough that anyone would be able to find 5-10 cars in there that they loved.

Moreover, as a car fan I thought it would make sense to be able to judge the difference between the Enzo and the FXX... the 599 and the 599GTO. The Zonda Cinque and the R...
See, I prefer comparing the F40 to the 458. If I could add another Ferrari to the mix, it'd be the 288GTO. The Enzo and FXX are too similar for me to need both. As for the Zonda, can't you compare the regular Zonda with the Zonda R? Again, adding a car from the hyper-car category, I'd rather it was something like the Bugatti EB110. What I'm getting at is that everybody has differing tastes and they can't please us all. That's why I make the best of the selection we've been given.

And if you can't put all of them (obviously), why not choose the best and/or most recent version (paying DLC anyone?)
Not practical given the amount of effort they put into modelling the premium cars. It takes a long time.

If you think the majority would prefere to get a premium miata instead of a Koenigsegg, a Daihatsu instead of a Grumper,...I just think you are wrong...
I don't. I think the majority would prefer a diverse range of cars from across the ages, not just whatever costs £200,000+ in 2011.

Dead Man

SmokyDave said:
I am surprised by this. I felt the premium selection was wide enough that anyone would be able to find 5-10 cars in there that they loved.

See, I prefer comparing the F40 to the 458. If I could add another Ferrari to the mix, it'd be the 288GTO. The Enzo and FXX are too similar for me to need both. As for the Zonda, can't you compare the regular Zonda with the Zonda R? Again, adding a car from the hyper-car category, I'd rather it was something like the Bugatti EB110. What I'm getting at is that everybody has differing tastes and they can't please us all. That's why I make the best of the selection we've been given.

Not practical given the amount of effort they put into modelling the premium cars. It takes a long time.

I don't. I think the majority would prefer a diverse range of cars from across the ages, not just whatever costs £200,000+ in 2011.
Good man!

-Amon-

Solal said:

You're right, i'm only tired of the whining on this thread and on all Gaf recently, sorry.

Speaking of point of views, being old for a videogamer, i'd like to see more cars from the past instead. For me the vast majority of today's cars are boring as hell :)

Group B rally cars should all be present and Premium for example. Lancia 037 and S4 ( present but standard ), Peugeout 205 Evo B, Audi Quattro group B, these are all cars that from the performance and joy to drive point of view outclass anything from today's and recent past rally cars.

Fiat 131 Abarth, Lancia Stratos, Opel Manta and Ford rs200 rally cars while not being group B have great historic value and should be present in premium form.

We have great cars missing from the past, both production and competition road cars. I'm not going to make a list on that, it would be too long.

dwebo

darkwing said:
i just hope the coming online events will have specific car types like 1960-1965 american cars etc...
It really shouldn't be that hard for them to just let people set specific restrictions (hp/year/whatever) for online/offline races. Let me create an event, and the game can populate it with AI and even determine an appropriate credit/xp reward.

-Amon-

darkwing said:
i just hope the coming online events will have specific car types like 1960-1965 american cars etc...

I'd like to have that kind of control on cars selection too, for online and offline A-Spec custom races, it would be great for sure.

-Amon-

Goldrusher said:
I'd like to see them actually REPLACE the Standards they already have as Premiums. What's the point of having a car in both standard and premium ?

So they can give you the standard for a win reward instead of the premium no ?

lulz

Goldrusher

-Amon- said:
So they can give you the standard for a win reward instead of the premium no ?

lulz
IMO it's very disrespectful to the people who modeled the premiums. Why give the player a standard SLR, when there's a premium available that took 6 months to make ?

ElyrionX said:
Which event is this?

It is the last event in Professional I think. Where you end up racing mostly SuperGT cars at the Ring. When I am racing in the pack, I literally can't hear my car even make a single noise let alone to the level needed for correct up shifts. I tweeted Kaz about fixing the engine noise, but that is like wishing on a unicorn fart.

In some good news, I made my 5th driver, C.Brown. He runs 100% hot and has virtually zero mental strength . He is surprisingly strong though.

dwebo

test_account said:
Old news?
Think so, though it might've been spoiler tagged before. Would've been a nice surprise, but that's the nature of the internet I guess. :lol

Dead Man said:
I want this so much.
Me too, but I doubt they'll add it anytime soon. If Kaz is serious about monthly patches/updates, then adding new events would be the easiest way to accomplish this. Put in a custom race maker and nobody will care (as much) about the PD downloadable ones.

test_account

XP-39C²
dwebo said:
Think so, though it might've been spoiler tagged before. Would've been a nice surprise, but that's the nature of the internet I guess. :lol
Ah ok, i didnt know that, sorry :\ I have spoiler tagged it now. Ye, "everything" gets on the internet :) Would have been a nice surprised indeed if Sony/PD didnt announce it now (i assume that it wasnt leaked by someone else).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
gutterboy44 said:
It is the last event in Professional I think. Where you end up racing mostly SuperGT cars at the Ring. When I am racing in the pack, I literally can't hear my car even make a single noise let alone to the level needed for correct up shifts. I tweeted Kaz about fixing the engine noise, but that is like wishing on a unicorn fart.

In some good news, I made my 5th driver, C.Brown. He runs 100% hot and has virtually zero mental strength . He is surprisingly strong though.

is that using 5.1? Wondering if selecting stereo might mix your engine sounds more clearly?

Is there some way of getting a one-make race? I thought there was an option in arcade somwhere but I can't find it.

mrklaw said:
is that using 5.1? Wondering if selecting stereo might mix your engine sounds more clearly?

Is there some way of getting a one-make race? I thought there was an option in arcade somwhere but I can't find it.

Arcade mode has one make race, but you can't do it in A spec. I can kind of mix more engine volume in 5.1 if I have a MR car and turn up my surround speakers to max. However, it is when the opponents are in front of you, their engine noise drains out everything. I just want split sliders. Engine SFX Volume and Other Car SFX Volume. You know, those difficult options that have existed in racers for decades but PD is oblivious to.

Dead Man

mrklaw said:

If you go to the track list you can select a 1 make race. No money or XP though.

Edit: Actually, I think it's the practice screen.

SolidSnakex said:

I want to see the full interview on this one.

If they don´t want to add much content from DLC, then it´s the same old story: they either hire a bunch of people or find a way to model things faster. Six months a car and up to two years for a track is just not viable. If they didn´t used old assets, GT5, after five years would have 200 cars and about 10 tracks.

They need to figure out a way to do these things faster.

I´m also very interested to see Kaz comments on the terrible japanese sales. What happened there? Did the game took so long that only the hardcore fans care about? Or japanese players don´t want racing games anymore?

Deadman

At first i was annoyed the veyron was counted as a french car because i wanted to use it in the german a spec series. But having my b spec driver use it in the french series +2 other series was a great way to get free wins :D

M.Bluth

Well, I've been thinking.
Since it's quite early and they haven't started development on GT6 yet, why not we compile suggestions for new features and ways to fix existing ones, write it neatly, and send it in both English and Japanese to PD?

dalin80

Banned
Solal said:

The mclaren 12c isnt even for sale yet.

seattle6418 said:

If they don´t want to add much content from DLC, then it´s the same old story: they either hire a bunch of people or find a way to model things faster. Six months a car and up to two years for a track is just not viable. If they didn´t used old assets, GT5, after five years would have 200 cars and about 10 tracks.

I´m also very interested to see Kaz comments on the terrible japanese sales. What happened there? Did the game took so long that only the hardcore fans care about? Or japanese players don´t want racing games anymore?

It is because the "game" sucks. For us enthusiasts, the good is brilliant enough to out shine the shit, but as a mass market release this game is woefully behind the times. I think it is more a testament to decline of Japanese game design and how they need to get with the times. Taking into account the relativeness of the graphics to the hardware at the time and the competition, GT5 is a step below GT2 let alone 3 and 4. I think it is without a doubt the worst game in the series in terms of the complete package. Sure they threw a ton of new features in the game, all of which are executed poorly, littered with glitches and only muddy the waters of an already incoherent mess of a game.

Nevertheless, everyday I look forward to going home and getting some seat time with GT5. This game so easily could have been revolutionary with some better planning and bigger team.

gogogow

seattle6418 said:
Despite all it's flaws and some inexplainable choices, it's still a good game imo. Unfortunately the Japanese gamers don't care much about this franchise anymore. It's (probably) the most frontloaded game in Japan and the sales are pretty much over after the humongous drop in the second week and this week it totally dissapeared from the top 10. If GT6 doesn't improve it's sales I fear it's gonna be game-over for the GT franchise in Japan and will be just another 200-300k seller. I will be sad if this happens, because the GT series is my favourite simracer.

And Japanese players do want racing games that are called Mario Kart. The Wii version sold more than 3 million copies in Japan alone. It actually re-entered the Media-Create top 20 last week. Pretty amazing for a 2 year old game.

darkwing

wow interesting part in the interview

One thing Yamauchi would say with conviction is that Gran Turismo 5 will have online races for B Spec mode. He wouldn't give an exact time frame, but said that this is something he's personally wanted to do.

seattle6418 said:

Frankly, they need the tech that Turn 10 is using. I know that somewhere in an article said they scanned the cars, but it's obviously not scanned in like Turn 10 does. They crank out cars by the month.

Also, getting their hands on satellite scanning tech would be useful for them. It takes them 2 years for a track? Using a satellite (while expensive) will cut down the dev times to at least half of that, if not, shorter.

-Amon-

Goldrusher said:
IMO it's very disrespectful to the people who modeled the premiums. Why give the player a standard SLR, when there's a premium available that took 6 months to make ?

Because that way it's more difficult to get, you have to earn it.

At least for me it always worked that way in GT games, never used that much the cars i won, never really "loved" them. Always appreciated much more the ones i bought, spending time choosing the right color, waiting for the moment i'd have enough money to buy them etc etc.

About the "disrescpetful" part, i think you're seeing too much in to it, really.

-Amon-

phosphor112 said:
Frankly, they need the tech that Turn 10 is using. I know that somewhere in an article said they scanned the cars, but it's obviously not scanned in like Turn 10 does. They crank out cars by the month.

I think there is a thread for that.

Dead Man

M.Bluth said:
Well, I've been thinking.
Since it's quite early and they haven't started development on GT6 yet, why not we compile suggestions for new features and ways to fix existing ones, write it neatly, and send it in both English and Japanese to PD?
PD, listen to feedback? :lol Surely you jest.

NHale

UFRA said:
Just got my 5th B-Spec driver...

F.Massa!! :lol

Woohoo, I have an F1 driver as a B-Spec driver!

We should team up! My latest B-Spec driver is...

fernando_alonso_1761530b.jpg

Can you confirm that you understand that message?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
phosphor112 said:

Also, getting their hands on satellite scanning tech would be useful for them. It takes them 2 years for a track? Using a satellite (while expensive) will cut down the dev times to at least half of that, if not, shorter.

how long does it take other racing sims? You want an accurate track surface - elevation changes, undulations etc. The decoration/buildings outside of the track don't need to be super accurate, just look nice.

as for cars, just outsource creation and then if you're obsessive, run them through your artists to polish them, would still take way less time. Part of the look of GT5 is the lighting which isn't dependant on the car modelling anyway.

Metalmurphy said:
Why did I buy the Collectors edition again? :lol
I was wondering something similar.

On an unrelated note... I just tried my minolta at Indy with 55 instead of 60 (max) downforce on the front and 80 instead of 85 (max) downforce on the back. The best lap from my bspec guys is now 2 seconds a lap slower. That's just insane! :lol

Top Bottom