• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Angst

Yeah some design choices irritates me as well. Good to see that even with the complaining your enjoying the game - especially the racing aspect of it.

So to sum it up, GT5 is like the nagging, annoying bitch that has you run around doing her errands - but the sex is oh so sweet. :D

Iknos

PjotrStroganov said:
I enjoy playing this game of which nearly every aspect is flawed.

As am I.

Surprised that we're allowed to criticize the game here to the extent that has been done.

Mentioned this in the comparison thread...its all about developer vision rather than technology or skill.

offshore

gundamkyoukai said:
PD need more people.

You have game that sells 10 million every game and your being cheap by not getting more people and we have half ass game, PD or Sony need to wake the fuck up.
PD could put out adverts tomorrow saying they're going to hire two hundred people to model the eight hundred standard cars....but the quality they'd get back from those two hundred people would be so inconsistent that it negates the point.

All GT5s premium cars are modelled to the same standard because it's a relatively small group (around fifty, going by GT5's credits) doing the modelling. At least as far as I've seen, you can't say one premium car looks better or worse than another other. They all look the same i.e. fantastic. And that's point.

Yes, it takes time. But it's pretty clear that the PS3 is incapable of displaying the true glory of the premiums anyway, and by the time the PS4 comes around, PD will have at least four hundred or so premiums, and that's absolutely more than enough.

Dead Man

belvedere said:
Not at all, most of the responses you're seeing are from the tourists who not only have had a chip on their shoulder about the game from the beginning, but also know as much about the GT series as I know about molecular biology.
Keep telling yourself that. Plenty of the posters in here discussing the merits and flaws of the game are long time GT fans I have seen post on these boards for years. A negative opinion about a feature is not automatically trolling.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I think those of us familiar with the series and who were also expecting a GT experience when playing the GT series are more than satisfied.

Those of us who expected a NFS clone, or whatever representation of the vaguely created speculative vision they've created for themselves are undoubtedly disappointed.

Dead Man said:
Keep telling yourself that. Plenty of the posters in here discussing the merits and flaws of the game are long time GT fans I have seen post on these boards for years. A negative opinion about a feature is not automatically trolling.

For such a vague response about varying criticisms, you conveniently took offense to something never mentioned.

Who's telling themselves what?

Dead Man

belvedere said:
I think those of us familiar with the series and who were also expecting a GT experience when playing the GT series are more than satisfied.

Those of us who expected a NFS clone, or whatever representation of the vaguely created speculative vision they've created for themselves are undoubtedly disappointed.
:lol

TTG

test_account said:
Maybe the faults can be fixed by 1 person, but how long will it take to fix the faults then? :) How do you mean with that A-spec feels like it waqs done by someone in one afternoon?

Lupo championships, formula gt, random sub 400hp hatchback championships with no restrictions that are unlocked late in the game when you've been racing supercars for a week... the list goes on. Well, let's keep it going for a little longer. Procedurally generated tracks? Great idea, saw it for like 20 minutes. How many tracks? Enough that some didn't even make it to any kind of event, they just sit there in practice. But you can always do that 60 lap endurance around Grand Valley though, because the license tests and other races with it aren't enough. A dozen different, niche types of cars. Immaculately cared for and picked with great taste... collecting dust, no reason to use any of them anywhere outside of practice mode.

The game is as vast and as varied as any racing game ever made. It's the biggest tool box in the world and so much of it is executed so damn well. What could be easier than to show it off? An effective tour guide, that's all. THAT could be done by 1 person. How long would it take? Certainly not longer than it would take to actually create all this awesome stuff.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Angst said:
Yeah some design choices irritates me as well. Good to see that even with the complaining your enjoying the game - especially the racing aspect of it.

So to sum it up, GT5 is like the nagging, annoying bitch that has you run around doing her errands - but the sex is oh so sweet. :D
GT5 could have been so much better... Yet

as flawed as it is, I haven't played anything better in years. I love GT5, I can't tell you why but all day I keep thinking of the next moment I will be able to install my wheel and play the game. That's called addiction, and it's been a while since I was in that state.

belvedere

Junior Butler
marc^o^ said:
GT5 could have been so much better... Yet

as flawed as it is, I haven't played anything better in years. I love GT5, I can't tell you why but all day I keep thinking of the next moment I will be able to install my wheel and play the game. That's called addiction, and it's been a while since I was in that state.

I've bitched about many aspects of the game, but feel the same. It's been awhile since I've put so many hours into a title, multiplayer included.

offshore

belvedere said:
I disagree. I'm familiar with the series, but I was, probably more in hope than expectation, expecting a different, fresh GT Mode experience.

Sunday Cup, FR Challenge, RR Challenge, Polyphony Digital Cup, Gran Turismo Championship etc, etc. I mean, what the hell is all that about? I did that stuff in GT4. When you see the event list of GT4 and compare it to GT5, it's virtually the same. I don't want the same.

I want career modes, I want new events, I want a real sense of progression. Not the same segregated events of yesteryear. All the elements GT5 has are absolutely ripe for blending into a career mode. Not the same events, only this time segregated and cordened off by articifial Levels.

Firewire

Banned
Some dude (CriticalSlippage or something) sent me a PSN message last night, wants me to join in a online pink slip race tonight. Has anyone raced in one of these, do the losers actually give up their cars?

M.Bluth said:
That's why I suggested compiling a well written letter that lists the existing problems and must have features.
If we discuss it first and then collaborate to write it, it won't be unfocused or distracting.

I´ll make one, it wouldn´t hurt to do it. PM if you want to share any ideas on how to make this. It works well on sports games, maybe we can get them to listen just a bit.

tzare

i think the game needs more tracks. The selection so far (level 13) is not on par with previous installments. Amalfi, Gran Capitan, i need them.

I disagree. I'm familiar with the series, but I was, probably more in hope than expectation, expecting a different, fresh GT Mode experience.

Sunday Cup, FR Challenge, RR Challenge, Polyphony Digital Cup, Gran Turismo Championship etc, etc. I mean, what the hell is all that about? I did that stuff in GT4. When you see the event list of GT4 and compare it to GT5, it's virtually the same. I don't want the same.

I want career modes, I want new events, I want a real sense of progression. Not the same segregated events of yesteryear. All the elements GT5 has are absolutely ripe for blending into a career mode. Not the same events, only this time segregated and cordened off by articifial Levels.
i think it is very difficult to set a career mode that pleases everyone with such a big game. Other games, like FOrza, have a different approach but it also gets 'boring' after some hours into the game (almost level 30 in Forza 3).

Too many cars, modes etc to put into a single player 'campaign'

Kinda wished this game had twice as many events in A Spec and B Spec. The amount of rinsing and repeating to get to level 20 and up is ridiculous.

I wouldn't even mind "weekly" challenge series since GT5 is connected to the net all the time.

Also, driving the ZR1 puts a stupid big smile on my face. The grip is ridiculous, especially when you come off the Top Gear Lotus challenge.

M.Bluth

seattle6418 said:
I´ll make one, it wouldn´t hurt to do it. PM if you want to share any ideas on how to make this. It works well on sports games, maybe we can get them to listen just a bit.
What I'm thinking is, maybe we either open a new thread, or use this one, to discuss and agree on the exact things that we want to improve, along with ideas on which direction it should go to be improved

Then we send that in both English and Japanese, that's why we need the help with Japan-GAF

offshore said:
PD could put out adverts tomorrow saying they're going to hire two hundred people to model the eight hundred standard cars....but the quality they'd get back from those two hundred people would be so inconsistent that it negates the point.

All GT5s premium cars are modelled to the same standard because it's a relatively small group (around fifty, going by GT5's credits) doing the modelling. At least as far as I've seen, you can't say one premium car looks better or worse than another other. They all look the same i.e. fantastic. And that's point.

Yes, it takes time. But it's pretty clear that the PS3 is incapable of displaying the true glory of the premiums anyway, and by the time the PS4 comes around, PD will have at least four hundred or so premiums, and that's absolutely more than enough.

Yeah but PD can get more people to do tracks , model certain part of cars .
They need more people not only for a better game but for the game not to take so long .
I love GT but no GT fan can say GT5 is not flaw in allot of ways .

AdvanS13

Neo Member
love it, hate it?

been playing since gt1, and when i first logged in gt life...nostalgia returned, the good and the bad. the used car lot, the collecting vehicles, quirks / bugs aside....gt5 is still immersive as when i first played gt1.

every car game i play, even those which have better design choices in some areas, while enjoyable are just not the same.

the assets are all there, they chose to implement them poorly in some cases. die hard fans are left navigating with their experienced gt roots, while noobs are flustered with no hands to hold... spoiled by the want it now super car mentality, the "boring license tests", the 25hp cars or "old" weak cars, where's my NOS, etc...gt is not your game.

love it.

Goldrusher

MiniBossBattle said:
Kinda wished this game had twice as many events in A Spec and B Spec. The amount of rinsing and repeating to get to level 20 and up is ridiculous.

I wouldn't even mind "weekly" challenge series since GT5 is connected to the net all the time.
Yamauchi agrees.

random Twitter guy:
level raising is a bit tough! It is pretty tough times have the same race over and over again.
Also want other races, buying a car have to change it every race, it is hard earned money. I want to improve balance. . .

Yamauchi answer:
You're right.

test_account

XP-39C²
TTG said:
Lupo championships, formula gt, random sub 400hp hatchback championships with no restrictions that are unlocked late in the game when you've been racing supercars for a week... the list goes on. Well, let's keep it going for a little longer. Procedurally generated tracks? Great idea, saw it for like 20 minutes. How many tracks? Enough that some didn't even make it to any kind of event, they just sit there in practice. But you can always do that 60 lap endurance around Grand Valley though, because the license tests and other races with it aren't enough. A dozen different, niche types of cars. Immaculately cared for and picked with great taste... collecting dust, no reason to use any of them anywhere outside of practice mode.

The game is as vast and as varied as any racing game ever made. It's the biggest tool box in the world and so much of it is executed so damn well. What could be easier than to show it off? An effective tour guide, that's all. THAT could be done by 1 person. How long would it take? Certainly not longer than it would take to actually create all this awesome stuff.
Personally i think that it looks easier to make A-spec than what it actually is. I can imagine that it takes some planing in balancing the stuff (which cars that should be used in each race etc.) and such things. Maybe the A-Spec GUI could be made in one afternoon by a smaller team though, but i dont think that the whole A-spec mode could be made in one afternoon :) Maybe the A-spec mode could be improved though, that is true.

Out of curiousity, what would the tour guide be like?

Firewire said:
Some dude (CriticalSlippage or something) sent me a PSN message last night, wants me to join in a online pink slip race tonight. Has anyone raced in one of these, do the losers actually give up their cars?
Unfortunately i dont have any experience with this type of wager, but it be cool if there was some wager mode online in GT5 :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
gutterboy44 said:
There is almost zero drag modeled in GT5 so cranking up the downforce to full is almost always the best setting for race cars. For a few, full downforce is almost too much grip and upsets the balance but basically setting downforce to the highest level possible a few tweaks aside for balance is going to yield the fastest times B and A spec. I think I was barely 2mph slower at top speed with a change of over 50 downforce "points" between front and rear wing. Yet another thing that is modeled poorly in GT since GT1. Love that F1 cars catch air still over rolling hills. Pretty sure that modern F1 cars generate some 3-5x their own curb weight in downforce at high speeds.
Damn, really? I had backed off the downforce a little for the ovals, will now dial it back up again.

No drag, no weight loss due to fuel load. What exactly *is* modelled?

-viper-

Banned
Argh. A-8 is impossible to get gold. I tried looking at the sample replay and it's no where near fast enough to get a gold.

The quickest time I've done it in is in 14.006 seconds. What on earth am I supposed to do to get my Concept 1 Tii under 13.800 seconds on the Schumacher bend?

Long time GT fans are probably going to be the most frustrated with GT5. Sliding a car I previously hated, Ferrari 512B around the Ring at night is almost worth the five year wait alone but we are simply being realistic and now that the release week hype wave has crashed and the soggy hype debris slowly recedes back into the bay of Polyphony Digital we are realizing how much is still so very wrong with GT5 and GT as a franchise.

As a point of reference I am almost already 10k miles into GT5, have all golds in all events and licenses but the remaining Endurances races and have pretty much played every GT game all the way through no less than two times. GT1 started off with me importing it from Japan, playing it on a moded PS1 for months only to re buy it in US and do the same. From then on every GT was played to death, left for a little then started from scratch again just for the fuck of it.

I have, as well as many others "earned" the right to bitch about things that have been wrong with this game since day one. Hell, at one point in my life I had more GT miles logged than I did real driving miles.

What makes the frustration levels sky rocket is that we have waited. Seeing that GT2 was the first chance they had to correct things, it has been a 10 year wait. 10 years to take note of the predictable and chronic complaints from the people who buy GT the second it comes out every time. We the costumers have allowed the budget to reach astronomical proportions. The sales we generate have given PD carte blanche with Sony and massive dev times like we had with GT5. However, we are left unable to save in endurance races, which has been a request not only several times during GT5 dev, but requested many versions ago.

How many more half baked versions of GT do we need to buy before we bankroll a decent effort? Many, including myself, thought that GT5 was going to finally get us there, at the very least 80% there. There was much promise, albeit blow overboard with hype, but some "confirmed" from the creator himself about things that we would never have to worry about again in a GT game.

We deserve a better game than GT5. No matter how absurd that may seem, I am fucking sticking to it. I have invested too much time and money in this franchise to sit idly by and eat another GT shit sandwich. GT5, two steps forward, five steps back.

test_account

XP-39C²
gutterboy44: What exactly are you feeling that is missing from GT5? (maybe you have already said this in previous posts, but i havnt followed the thread that much).

paskowitz

Opportunities for special events where definitely missed. I mean I can think of tons off of the top of my head:

-Classic vs Modern Le Mans cars challenge (Le Sarthe 24hr)
-Evo vs STi championship (rally, road, track, etc)
-Sema Champion (GT Sema awards cars only @ city tracks)
-Vette vs Viper (american tracks)
-David vs Goliath (RM Elise vs Veyrons on a very tight track)
-King of The Ring (ZR1 vs GTR V-spec vs GTR vs ACR vs LFA vs Enzo vs MP412c vs F1 vs Veyron vs Murci SV on all nurburgring tracks)
-1000hp Challenge (1000hp+ cars on high speed tracks)
-World Record Race (Veyron vs F1 @ Le Sarthe)
-Rain Dance (RWD, 500hp+, Sports tires only @ all weather tracks)
-The Sound of Wind (All Furai Race at Laguna Seca)
-M vs AMG vs RS (Audi RS6 vs M5 vs C63 @ a german track)
-American Invasion (240 minute all Nascar enduro @ The Ring 24hr version)
-Group B vs WRC (Group B cars vs WRC cars on rally tracks)
-24hrs of lemons (any used car under 20k credits completely bone stock, nothing done to it, for 24hrs at Le Sarthe)

Now try telling me those events would not make GT5 AWESOME!

test_account said:
gutterboy44: What exactly are you feeling that is missing from GT5? (maybe you have already said this in previous posts, but i havnt followed the thread that much).

That is the thing, it is more of what is still there than what is missing. Sure karts, neat, NASCAR, ok a little poorly executed, but it is something new. But poor design decisions by any standards and the complete ignorance of PD to our endless complaints of the same things every GT release is maddening. And our requests are all reasonable and have been demonstrated possible by several other racing games over the years. Just three massive ones that come to mind that have been absent since GT1

-Purchase parts from event menu
-Rewind and Fast Forward in replays
-Save games during events and most importantly endurance races. (The bat shit insane part of GT5 is that we could save during events in GT3 and GT4 and they took it out! They fucking removed the feature that was a great step in the right direction)

darkwing

Firewire said:

wow a friend of mine actually suggested this kind of game mode, and in our online races the losers give the winners a car (since we can't transfer Cr)

darkwing said:
wow a friend of mine actually suggested this kind of game mode, and in our online races the losers give the winners a car (since we can't transfer Cr)

That's the type of game that should only be played with people that you know that you can trust. Few things would be as annoying as losing something like a P4 to a dude that wouldn't have given you his car had he lost.

PjotrStroganov said:
I enjoy playing this game of which nearly every aspect is flawed.

Ha! so true. I could sit here and complain about the many issues that just seem ... I don't know, glaringly obvious over the course of 5 years to fix ... but the racing rocks, so I'm game.

It just sucks knowing that the support for this game is going to be next to nil (I don't give a shit what they say in press releases) as I don't expect to see many of the issues fixed.

The lack of support for the G25/27 wheels is a pretty big indicator. I'm just glad the Fanatec wheels can be firmware updated from the Fanatec side.

test_account

XP-39C²
gutterboy44 said:
That is the thing, it is more of what is still there than what is missing. Sure karts, neat, NASCAR, ok a little poorly executed, but it is something new. But poor design decisions by any standards and the complete ignorance of PD to our endless complaints of the same things every GT release is maddening. And our requests are all reasonable and have been demonstrated possible by several other racing games over the years. Just three massive ones that come to mind that have been absent since GT1

-Save games during events and most importantly endurance races. (The bat shit insane part of GT5 is that we could save during events in GT3 and GT4 and they took it out! They fucking removed the feature that was a great step in the right direction)
Ok, i understand, that is fair enough, i was just wondering :) Rewind and fast forward in Replays is something that i also would like to see. Has this been present in previous GT games btw?

darkwing said:

It would be nice if there was a pink slip mode that facilitated the car transfer for you. You had to wager your car before the race, and any quiting or disconnect was an agreed upon forfeit of your car wager. It would be incredibly exciting.

darkwing

SolidSnakex said:
That's the type of game that should only be played with people that you know that you can trust. Few things would be as annoying as losing something like a P4 to a dude that wouldn't have given you his car had he lost.

oh yup, we play in a small league in our local game forum, we have events every weekend

gutterboy44 said:

Yep this is one of reason why i am selling this game, GT 5 takes out stuff that was in other GT games for no fucking reason.
I mean we can't restart at end of a race, can't set gears like other GT games , no saving , they take out getting money from online .
Fuck the more i talk about it the more angry i get as a GT fan.

paskowitz said:
Opportunities for special events where definitely missed. I mean I can think of tons off of the top of my head:

-King of The Ring (ZR1 vs GTR V-spec vs GTR vs ACR vs LFA vs Enzo vs MP412c vs F1 vs Veyron vs Murci SV on all nurburgring tracks)
-24hrs of lemons (any used car under 20k credits completely bone stock, nothing done to it, for 24hrs at Le Sarthe)

Those are pretty awesome ideas.

test_account

XP-39C²
SolidSnakex said:
It would be cool if you could enter the wager before the race, so that the person who lost automatically lost his/her car too.

patsu

I'm new to Gran Turismo. Don't like racing games in general.

Other than the simple UI flaws (Missing "replay" button and "search cars in dealership"). I haven't hit any of the issues you guys mentioned yet. The lower level racing are surprisingly engaging and fun.

I even bought a wheel on impulse and hide it in my office (Have a PS3 in my office). Freaked out a little when I saw the wheel turn by itself. I didn't think I need to fight the wheel while driving. It's been a strange but entertaining experience so far.

First time I held the wheel, took me a while to figure out how to accelerate. Was fumbling around looking for buttons for 30 seconds or so… until I looked down. :lol

paskowitz said:

-Reasonably priced race.
-Sedan races (you have trucks why no 4 door racing?)
-Add under 300 hp race with divisions of FR, FF, 4WD then you really have a game of forever.

Still love the game, I just want more of it to match the slow XP gained.

Sorry lads for the rage dump the last few days. My other GT obsessed buddy an I have just been talking about our discoveries with GT5 lately and it kind of reached a boiling point.

I would like to see if we could make up some GAF challenges within the existing A spec events to further the longevity of single player. My guess is that it will all be trying to win a event race with a very specific level of car or car with only certain mods. Not terribly interesting but something worth doing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So there are two auto-pit strategies.

1- set the energy level of your driver and he'll pit. Why you'd ever set this to anything other than 10% I don't know.

2- don't set anything, and he'll pit when he needs fuel. Downside is he'll be running on zero energy, but on ovals at least I haven't noticed that being an issue. For ovals I bet about 37 laps for a full tank of fuel, but using the energy threshold I only get about 20

I know they'll auto-pit if it rains, but will they also auto-pit if their tyres are shot?

Really need better controls over pitting. It's surprising how many improvements seem minor UI stuff that shouldn't take long to do.

darkwing

patsu said:
I'm new to Gran Turismo. Don't like racing games in general.

Other than the simple UI flaws (Missing "replay" button and "search cars in dealership"). I haven't hit any of the issues you guys mentioned yet. The lower level racing are surprisingly engaging and fun.

I even bought a wheel on impulse and hide it in my office (Have a PS3 in my office). Freaked out a little when I saw the wheel turn by itself. I didn't think I need to fight the wheel while driving. It's been a strange but entertaining experience so far.

First time I held the wheel, took me a while to figure out how to accelerate. Was fumbling around looking for buttons for 30 seconds or so… until I looked down. :lol

welcome to the GT world! try out the Special Events, the AMG one is really special

I completely agree with you gutterboy44. They take out the good stuff they added over the years, Added some nice fun stuff and kept a load of old stuff that should have been renewed.

I've learned to spread my complaints though, so I that I won't be lured into a downward spiraling discussion, as often is the case when voicing a negative opinion.;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
paskowitz said:

Great ideas. There is a trophy for an eve vs impreza race, but no race!

Also more stock/tightly regulated races

-viper-

Banned
paskowitz said:

These are all great suggestions. But there is no point in adding more events when some of the basic issues of the game still have yet to be addressed. Magnetised bumper cars and retarded road rage A.I. can GTFO.

darkwing

gutterboy44 said:
Sorry lads for the rage dump the last few days. My other GT obsessed buddy an I have just been talking about our discoveries with GT5 lately and it kind of reached a boiling point.

I would like to see if we could make up some GAF challenges within the existing A spec events to further the longevity of single player. My guess is that it will all be trying to win a event race with a very specific level of car or car with only certain mods. Not terribly interesting but something worth doing.

yup, i don't know about you guys but in our local forum we already do this, let me paste our event for the weekend, and in the whole week, we just practice for a few hours and chill out

Saturday Special Events
This event is sponsored by Team MadDogs

When: Every Saturday
Time: 9pm GMT+8. Be in the room 30mins before so we can start immediately and not waste time

Open for: CLEAN RACERS only
Registration Fee: None

General Race Requirements
Penalty : Strong
Mechanical Damage: Heavy
Driving Aids: TCS only
Tire Grip: Real
False Start: On (simulated Rolling Start)
Boost: Off
Grid Start: N/A

Point System
25 Points - First Place
20 Points - Second Place
15 Points - 3rd Place
10 Points - 4th Place
5 Points - 5th Place
1 point - the rest

Race Details for December 18, 2010

Track: Suzuka Circuit - 50 Laps

Car Restrictions:
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 '69
Chevrolet Camaro SS '10
Acura NSX '91
Lotus Elise '96
Lotus Elise 111R '04
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX  GSR '05
Nissan SILVIA spec-R AERO (S15) '02
TVR Tuscan Speed 6 '00
Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STI spec C Type RA '05
Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) '95
Volkswagen Golf IV GTI '01
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) '06
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09
Dodge Challenger R/T '70
Honda CIVIC TYPE R (EK) '97
Honda INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5) '04
Lexus IS F '07

Racing Rules - FIA rules not NASCAR
Horsepower - 600 to 650 HP
Race Modification - Yes
Car Number - No repetition
Tires - Racing
Tuning - Any
Pit Penalty - Yes
Flags Implementation - Yes (Green White Yellow)

Top Bottom