• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

-viper-

Banned
Goldrusher said:
I used the Toyota 7 too. Hotheaded driver. No input / commands.

With the following setup (from GTP):

Downforce: F:60 R:85
Turbo: Mid RPM Range Turbo Kit (Stage 2)
LSD: IT=30 , AS= 55 , BS=30
Transmission: 224mph top speed
Suspension:
Ride height= -30/-30
Spring Rate= 20/20
Dampers ext and comp both= 10/10/
Anti Roll Bars= 7/7
Camber: F= 7.0, R= 0.0
Toe: F= -0.10 / R= 0.15
Brakes: F=9 / R=8
Thanks, i'll try it out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Melfice7 said:
set gears to 140km/h, use drag every chance you get and brake LATE!

Dude, I set it to 83 (the lowest), get behind a car as much as I can (and that's if the game even lets me draft. A yard down? No draft. Right up on his ass? LOL DRAFT MODE ACTIVATE). Take the last corner going into the line at 74 or so (braking while gassing to knock it down to 60-64MPH when losing grip/nearly off track), cutting corners and the best I can do is +.10 behind the leader. EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

1:22 (often), 1:21 (sometimes), 1:20 (lucky).

It's pissing me off. I have no clue how the fuck GT Planet thinks this is "reasonable difficulty" because you're fucking outclassed in the horse power by a car with 20-60 more than you. WTF. I wouldn't be so pissed if I was in even classes (like a fully stock race from grid start instead of this rolling start shit), but no. By the time you get to the second from all the way in the back, the first place racer is 88MPH Marty, lets go back to the fucking future and ruin the players chances of ever winning the race.

I think I'm going to grind B-Spec now for money, this isn't productive and giving me cash anymore and it's not fun for me to sit here and abuse myself trying to catch up to the first place to wreck his ass, flip him off and win my 60,000 credits I rightly deserve for this bullshit.

TheSeks said:
Dude, I set it to 83 (the lowest), get behind a car as much as I can. Take the last corner going into the line at 74 or so (braking while gassing to knock it down to 60-64MPH when losing grip/nearly off track), cutting corners and the best I can do is +.10 behind the leader. EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

1:22 (often), 1:21 (sometimes), 1:20 (lucky).

It's pissing me off. I have no clue how the fuck GT Planet thinks this is "reasonable difficulty" because you're fucking outclassed in the horse power by a car with 20-60 more than you. WTF. I wouldn't be so pissed if I was in even classes (like a fully stock race from grid start instead of this rolling start shit), but no. By the time you get to the second from all the way in the back, the first place racer is 88MPH Marty, lets go back to the fucking future and ruin the players chances of ever winning the race.

I think I'm going to grind B-Spec now for money, this isn't productive and giving me cash anymore and it's not fun for me to sit here and abuse myself trying to catch up to the first place to wreck his ass, flip him off and win my 60,000 credits I rightly deserve for this bullshit.

Okay, my max speed was 87mph. My downforce was 16.

I upgraded everything on the car allowed (1000kg, 65bhp, body rigidity improved, customisable suspension, LSD, the whole fucking lot). I also added aeros and bought wheels for it.

That last corner you should be going through at between 68-70 mph in fifth gear. The rest of the corners are really a case of braking early and accelerating through the entire corner. Draft as much as possible where available.

The Fiat and R-X7 were my two favorite new events. Had my RX-7 sliding all over the place. I absolutely love the down hill double left into the uphill section. So beautiful to slide the car through there just right and get a perfect corner exit right next to the cliff as you burn up hill. The last corner is also a blast. You can fly through it and the AI goes terribly slow. Just be careful to set up the pass so you don't rear end them just past the apex.

Fiat 500 is a fun little car and I feel like that event was meant to teach you the importance of the power band and how proper gearing is key.

As another user already said, my god did if feel good to complete a challenge and see a worthy reward and not some pittance of Cr. after over 4 hours of work...I am looking at you FGT event...mother fucker.

Anyone else start a spread sheet of all the cars they own? I run one in google docs now. It isn't so bad after you do the initial fill in. I started mine around 190 cars and only took a few minutes to go through all my cars. Just sort by P and S models then go through alphabetically by Make in both the game and the spreadsheet. Now I just add a car to my list when ever I win or buy one. This is obviously easier when you have a access to a computer and PS3 at the same time and don't have to go into another room or something.
p8cvs.jpg

razu

I have a question!

Are the R1 tyres grippier than the S3 tyres? It's just the word "soft" in the S3 tyres makes it feel like they'd have more grip than the "hard" R1 tyres.

Melfice7

gutterboy44 said:
Had my RX-7 sliding all over the place. I absolutely love the down hill double left into the uphill section. So beautiful to slide the car through there just right and get a perfect corner exit right next to the cliff as you burn up hill.

Yes! RX7 is awesome! that event with clutch and driving like a maniac = FUN

TheSeks

Leunam said:
:lol

Too bad you can't just overpower your car to win the event.

That makes the races too easy, with the exception of B-Spec where it's still the lottery for the stupid AI drivers asses to suddenly spin out and be at last place again.

I honestly don't mind the challenge. What's pissing me off is knowing that I'm outgunned in the horse power department. No matter how hard I drive, how much of the corner I shave off, I can't catch the fucking bastard in first place. That's infuriating.

Leunam

If you're being outclassed in the horsepower department perhaps you should look into the weight and acceleration department.

TheSeks

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I upgraded everything on the car allowed (1000kg, 65bhp, body rigidity improved, customisable suspension, LSD, the whole fucking lot). I also added aeros and bought wheels for it.

I have all that, with the exception of the LSD. Mostly because I don't know what you'd change in the LSD to give an edge.

I'm -6 front -4 back full anti-roll in the suspension. 87MPH Max (or whatever the lowest is) and cutting corners like a murder spree. I can see the damn first place car in front of me, but I don't have the acceleration or speed to catch up. Ever. It's :|

If you're being outclassed in the horsepower department perhaps you should look into the weight and acceleration department.

You can't really change the weight for the Fiat other than shaving off the windows, otherwise it can't enter.

The acceleration is key here with the transmission. But even then you're going to be outgunned by the higher horse power engine, more than likely. :/

Angst

TheSeks said:
I have all that, with the exception of the LSD. Mostly because I don't know what you'd change in the LSD to give an edge.

I'm -6 front -4 back full anti-roll in the suspension. 87MPH Max (or whatever the lowest is) and cutting corners like a murder spree. I can see the damn first place car in front of me, but I don't have the acceleration or speed to catch up. Ever. It's :|

You can't really change the weight for the Fiat other than shaving off the windows, otherwise it can't enter.

The acceleration is key here with the transmission. But even then you're going to be outgunned by the higher horse power engine, more than likely. :/
Have you tried buying a wind and setting downforce at max? That's what I'm planning to do tonight after seeing someone recommend it here.

Edit - a wing :lol

X-Frame

I would really like to see YouTube video of the people driving who claim the challenges were easy. I am fighting, biting, and scratching just for second place.

TheSeks

Angst said:
Have you tried buying a wind and setting downforce at max? That's what I'm planning to do tonight after seeing someone recommend it here.

Edit - a wing :lol

You can set the downforce for the aero kits? Where would that be found? As I've bought all of the kits for the car and I didn't notice a difference in grip/downforce.

Lyonaz

X-Frame said:
I would really like to see YouTube video of the people driving who claim the challenges were easy. I am fighting, biting, and scratching just for second place.

Lol yeah. I mean yesterday I spend like 3 hours to just get first place in the FIAT event and sure it was the best feeling ever, but then I read this thread and people are like "shit is easy son!" I just go like WHAT?! :lol

Leunam

TheSeks said:
You can set the downforce for the aero kits? Where would that be found? As I've bought all of the kits for the car and I didn't notice a difference in grip/downforce.

Under Body/Chassis in the Tuning menu.

Niks

Like the GTR event it helps knowing the track.
I found I was loosing a lot of time at the first corner in tsukuba. Mayb that helps.

Woz

TheSeks said:

In the settings, the first menu at the top should be the one devote to the body kit settings.

Edit:
Leunam explained better =P

darkwing

razu said:
I have a question!

Are the R1 tyres grippier than the S3 tyres? It's just the word "soft" in the S3 tyres makes it feel like they'd have more grip than the "hard" R1 tyres.

yup Racing > any Sport tire

TheSeks

Leunam said:
Under Body/Chassis in the Tuning menu.

OSHI--.

Okay, going to attempt that with max downforce now. Wish me luck.

Damn it. Still only getting second place. FFFFFFFF.

Hanmik

Only got to play 30min. with the new patch... tried the Fiat race first without changing anything.. got 4th. place.. applied filter and a Carbon bonnet. Managed to get in second place.. 7 seconds of the first place.
Decided to try the Tokyo race.. bought the car required for the race. Filter and reduced the weight.. got into 6th. place on the first lap.. and crashed in the second last corner.. ended up in second place with 8 seconds to the first place..
Before these races I was level 8 with 42.000 cr. after the races I was lvl. 12 with 280.000 credits.. :lol great reward for ½ hour of racing.. cannot wait to play again tonight.. love these new races.. and I have only raced amateur series A-spec and 2 B-spec races. And Also driven some license tests..

Damn I LOVE this game..

Hanmik said:
Before these races I was level 8 with 42.000 cr. after the races I was lvl. 12 with 280.000 credits.. :lol great reward for ½ hour of racing.. cannot wait to play again tonight.. love these new races.. and I have only raced amateur series A-spec and 2 B-spec races. And Also driven some license tests..

Damn I LOVE this game..

I'm getting my B-Spec Bob destroyed Ps3 back from Sony today and I'm so glad to have these high exp/credit special events available. I was dreading having to do all the low level A-Spec stuff over. B-Spec on the other hand......

Melfice7

X-Frame said:

They are easy once you fiddle a bit with the settings and drive consistently well, mess up too much for more than 1 lap and might as well restart it

paskowitz

How is GAF fairing in the GT Academy? I think by now I must be in the 30's for the NE and probably out of the top 100 for the country. Some people are just too damn fast.

TheSeks

paskowitz said:
How is GAF fairing in the GT Academy? I think by now I must be in the 30's for the NE and probably out of the top 100 for the country. Some people are just too damn fast.

600-800 or there about. And that's just doing two laps for the "participation" reward. Not sure if a bunch of people didn't sign up in the south east, but it makes me feel good that I'm not in the 1,000 range (yet...) like I was the time-trial demo earlier this year. :lol

X-Frame

Melfice7 said:
They are easy once you fiddle a bit with the settings and drive consistently well, mess up too much for more than 1 lap and might as well restart it
Yeah, but I'd still like to see a video.

Should I try turning the driving line on or would that hurt me more?

RotBot

gutterboy44 said:
Anyone else start a spread sheet of all the cars they own? I run one in google docs now. It isn't so bad after you do the initial fill in. I started mine around 190 cars and only took a few minutes to go through all my cars. Just sort by P and S models then go through alphabetically by Make in both the game and the spreadsheet. Now I just add a car to my list when ever I win or buy one. This is obviously easier when you have a access to a computer and PS3 at the same time and don't have to go into another room or something.
I've been using this site:
http://mygranturismo.net/user_sheet.php?id=1023

AdvanS13

Neo Member
i loved the fiat 500 race. fun car, did the window weight reduction (exactly 1000kg), filter, fixed sports suspension, aero (prob not needed, set to 15-16), all the drivetrain mods, but just the 5spd. i actually bought two fiats...love those little bastards.

the last lap i nailed that fux audi on the turn before last straight. i didn't need too, but it felt so good:lol

cr-z still need to try again, but with the sports filter only...it sounds like darth vaders baby:lol

then did the skyline...almost there silver on that one.

expy

Banned
*yawns*
Ahhh, good night of b-spec endurance runs! My 2 low-leveled b-speccers managed to keep up with the two highers ones in a 4 hour run apparently! :D

I won the Fiat event with Sports suspension, one better transmission option, the clutch and flywheel upgrades, and replacing the windows (which gets you down exactly the 10kg you're allowed to). It was pretty tough, but I got consistent 1'20s many low and got past him fairly early in the turn. I experimented with driving ABS-less, but that was tricky as one of the most important things you need to do is focus on late braking into the corner. Thinking about which turns to exit in 2nd gear and 3rd gear is also important (I used second only for the two lesser turns). Also try to remember the splits / at what point you're what amount of seconds away from first, so you get feedback on your best lines.

The RX-7 event was fun, won that first try. 2nd for the CR-Z. But I didn't fare so well on the others :lol

Driving without ABS shows by the way that FF drifting is possible and pretty convincing if you ask me.

Deadman said:
Oh so you can do weight reduction...:lol

Explains why i could come second but be 10 seconds away from first.
Just be careful of going under the limit. I had to start two cars over again after lowering the weight too much and going over the HP limit with an oil change on the GT-R. It made me so mad because I'm pretty sure I saw someone post that they did the oil change trick and it was just under the HP limit. I think I could've raced it a bit and the HP would've dropped by itself but I had to lose more than 5 HP I think.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I hate you. I just spent 2 hours of my life cataloging my garage :/

Haha, sorry, you will thank me when/if going for the 1000 cars trophy. I want a diverse garage when I hit 1000, not just 300 go karts.

Animator

Is the AI in this game bullshit? or maybe the 02 ford focus is the most underestimated car in history. I am racing the amateur clubman cup with my 600 hp BMW M3 and I am hitting corners fine, never getting out of bounds and hitting close to 300 kmh on straights yet this goddamn ford focus is always on my ass like 0.5 seconds behind. How is that fucking possible?

offshore said:
Son of a bitch. About to overtake the Ford on the last corner of SSR7....and then I go and out-brake myself and go careening into the wall :\ First time in about two hours I've got that close.
Same thing happened to me, I managed to overtake him on the last corner by not braking at all, and then hit the wall on opposite side. I saw in the rear view mirror, expecting the Ford to thunder pass from right side, but he had spun out probably because I crossed his bonnet too close and he must have swirled to avoid me :lol

Top Bottom