• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
weekend_warrior said:
To which I counter:

n2kc46.gif

where is this video?

:O

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
FrostuTheNinja said:

God damn...I guess I might as well buy a Move Bundle now for that Eye cam. That is damn cool! And just minutes before entering this thread I was convincing myself that Forza 3 was all the sim racing I really needed in my life. :(

This is an expensive thread! Now I need to look into PS3 wheels.

Brandon F said:
God damn...I guess I might as well buy a Move Bundle now for that Eye cam. That is damn cool! And just minutes before entering this thread I was convincing myself that Forza 3 was all the sim racing I really needed in my life. :(

This is an expensive thread! Now I need to look into PS3 wheels.

I'm in the same exact boat right now. I've had buddies who would always get "The Wheel" for GT, but I never really cared. Now, for some reason, I want the full experience.

Expensive, indeed.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Amazon had the Logitech wheel for $69.99 after rebate, but it sold out :(

I dont know why I waited so long thinking about it, I would have ordered it but couldn't put it through me to buy a wheel for just for this game

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wario64 said:
Amazon had the Logitech wheel for $69.99 after rebate, but it sold out :(

I dont know why I waited so long thinking about it, I would have ordered it but couldn't put it through me to buy a wheel for just for this game

Extra difficult since I have the MS wheel for my Xbox already(and at least a half-dozen solid games to use it with on the 360), as well as a custom stand for it too! Just hard to really consider buying a second wheel for GT5 alone as well.

But damn that rain gif and headtracking might push me to be that stupid...

railGUN

Banned
My theory, for what its worth...

GT5 came out a week early. I went to the store, bought it, and proceeded to play it. It was so fucking amazing that my brain overloaded and it gave me a seizure and I've fallen into a coma. I'm pretty sure my brain is fighting as hard as it can to block the awesomeness that is GT5 and in doing so, erased any memory I had of buying or playing the game and created this alternate GT5'less universe to compensate. This "dream" certainly has it faults, like a multi-billion dollar company not saying a single.god.damn.word about this "mysterious delay", foreigners uploading grainy footage to Youtube. My brain, try as it might, can't quite convince my heart that this is real and I've thus come to this sad conclusion. I hope those of you whose brains were able to handle the game are enjoying it.

... help me

Piggus

It's not CG. It's enhanced with more AA, but it was created from in-game footage. Anyone who says that's purely CG doesn't know what they're talking about.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
All or almost all of the trailers for GT games have been CG movies and it's not just replay footage.

They use assets made for the game in their CG movies, but they're still only movies and not actual gameplay.

Piggus said:
It's not CG. It's enhanced with more AA, but it was created from in-game footage. Anyone who says that's purely CG doesn't know what they're talking about.

It's more than just AA, better motion blur, better lighting, etc.

Conceited said:
this post rates 1/10

etc.

Still rates higher than weekend_warrior's post which added nothing to the discussion.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
BSTF said:
All or almost all of the trailers for GT games have been CG movies and it's not just replay footage.

They use assets made for the game in their CG movies, but they're still only movies and not actual gameplay.

this post rates 1/10

etc.

Fusebox

Banned
Well technically it's all CG, not sure how the term Computer Graphics ever came to exclude Computer Graphics In Motion but it's a daft misuse of the term on a massive scale.

Fusebox said:
Well technically it's all CG, not sure how the term Computer Graphics ever came to exclude Computer Graphics In Motion but it's a daft misuse of the term on a massive scale.
CG stood for CGI which meant computer generated images
homing said:
All this waiting for a firm release date.. makes me wonder if they are doing a simultaneous Worldwide release.
Wonder...? Whats making you wonder? Who implanted this idea in your head about worldwide release? We need to go deeper.

Fusebox

Banned
Fairly sure CG is CG and CGI is CGI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-generated_imagery

Computer-generated imagery (CGI) is the application of the field of computer graphics (CG) or, more specifically, 3D computer graphics to special effects in films, television programs, commercials, simulators and simulation generally, and printed media. Video games usually use real-time computer graphics, but may also include pre-rendered "cut scenes" and intro movies and full motion videos that would be typical CGI applications.

I'm just not sure why real-time graphics are no longer commonly referred to as computer generated.

Truespeed

Fusebox said:

Only if you're trying to lump real time CG with pre-rendered CG. Since the latter is infinitely more superior, the real time variation is correctly ignored by most.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
BSTF said:
The lighting in their trailers is the same exact thing you have in realtime replays or in-car camera view. They do have lots of supersampled AA (which you can't see in that gif) better motion blur (which again doesn't mean anything in context of that gif, and the game is in 60FPS during gameplay anyways), and higher res shadow maps, which you again can't see in that gif.

Gameplay footage scaled down to that small gif size would/will look exactly the same as that.

hirokazu

BSTF said:

Still rates higher than weekend_warrior's post which added nothing to the discussion.
LOL, OK. If you say so, I have no reason to doubt you...

railGUN said:

GT5 came out a week early. I went to the store, bought it, and proceeded to play it. It was so fucking amazing that my brain overloaded and it gave me a seizure and I've fallen into a coma. I'm pretty sure my brain is fighting as hard as it can to block the awesomeness that is GT5 and in doing so, erased any memory I had of buying or playing the game and created this alternate GT5'less universe to compensate. This "dream" certainly has it faults, like a multi-billion dollar company not saying a single.god.damn.word about this "mysterious delay", foreigners uploading grainy footage to Youtube. My brain, try as it might, can't quite convince my heart that this is real and I've thus come to this sad conclusion. I hope those of you whose brains were able to handle the game are enjoying it.

... help me

This is actually the most logical explanation I've read so far. :lol

Dead Man

railGUN said:

... help me
:lol :lol :lol

JWong

Banned
railGUN said:

... help me
There's only one explanation for you...

Inception

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Lord Error said:
The lighting in their trailers is the same exact thing you have in realtime replays or in-car camera view. They do have lots of supersampled AA (which you can't see in that gif) better motion blur (which again doesn't mean anything in context of that gif, and the game is in 60FPS during gameplay anyways), and higher res shadow maps, which you again can't see in that gif.

Gameplay footage scaled down to that small gif size would/will look exactly the same as that.

Lighting in the trailers is not exactly the same as you admit when you say they're using higher res shadow maps. And it has a ton of added effects that aren't representative of the game. The gif came from a CG or CGI movie end of discussion.

The point is, now that there are retail copies of the game out it, we will finally be able to analyze the game properly. felipepl made a point about standard cars and weekend_warrior wanted to crap up the thread by adding a GIF that was meaningless. Posting a Forza gif would have been just as worthless.

LOL, OK. If you say so, I have no reason to doubt you...

FFXIII does the same thing, but not quite to the same extent.

Speiseeis said:
hmm i have read better attempts to troll in the last gt5 threads.
Mclaren777 come hurrying along: theres some teaching to do for you.

You got me, I'm such a troll that I was the one that posted the weather video on NeoGAF. Trailer was great for what it is, not great for discussing in game graphics.

plasmasd

Sony needs to get this game out as soon as possible. Now that customers have the retail disc, it's only of matter of time (hours) before BD rips start showing up. 3.50 is not going to stop it.

A.R.K said:
O.O

what's the delivery date they gave you?

It'll ship in 10 days according to them. Although someone posted that it's supposed to ship in a day or two for them. So i'm not sure if a screwed up my order or not. I'm going to call them again today to see if there's any way to speed up the shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom