• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

onken

spwolf said:
not sure how it works in general, it might be able to recognize your face and follow it based on settings... however I dont think it has to be fool proof anyway - just tell someone not to sit next to you if you want to use head tracking.

That kinda sucks. Sounds like a really cool feature I'd like to show people but "hey wanna see something cool? No, don't sit down, stay over there!" kinda takes the edge off it.

phosphor112 said:
It tracks the center most head.

Ah that sounds a bit better, I'll just have to make sure to strategically point the Eye to my end of the sofa, neato.

onken said:
That kinda sucks. Sounds like a really cool feature I'd like to show people but "hey wanna see something cool? No, don't sit down, stay over there!" kinda takes the edge off it.

Ah that sounds a bit better, I'll just have to make sure to strategically point the Eye to my end of the sofa, neato.
There is a calibration menu, it shows the video feed of the camera, and like a square where your head should be, just aim the camera in the spot you sit the most, you should be fine.

spats

phosphor112 said:
There is a calibration menu, it shows the video feed of the camera, and like a square where your head should be, just aim the camera in the spot you sit the most, you should be fine.

You can also swap between narrow and wide field of view on the camera. I don't think you can confuse it unless somebody is sitting in your lap.

dwebo

phosphor112 said:
Is this in the OS or is it a per-game configuration?

Also, new rain video is nice. Different wipers leave different rain arcs on windshields :lol

hirokazu

lowrider007 said:
If this is true then why on the bloody hell aren't Sony giving us a date?, are they honestly going to wait until they are shipped and on the shelves before the announce anything?
Also, where the hell is the marketing if it's coming out in two weeks? (Oh right, Sony.)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
hirokazu said:
Also, where the hell is the marketing if it's coming out in two weeks? (Oh right, Sony.)

If this date is true surely this is one of the biggest advertising and PR failures ever in terms of a lead up to a such critical franchise?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
lowrider007 said:
If this date is true surely this is one of the biggest advertising and PR failures ever in terms of a lead up to a such critical franchise?

It's such a debacle that perhaps it has come full circle and will be one of the most successful PR campaigns in the history of ever.

Perhaps not.

Big-ass Ramp

jEpMA.png

Their servers are up and down so here's a mirror.

i'm cool with the situation

sony promised us all a 'worldwide launch', but because of the nature of the final delay (an insignificant code change to deal with piracy) it really turned into a matter of how quick the various intl. manufacturing processes could take the hit. some places - ie, europe - have coped very well and copies are being printed, even getting into circulation. yet other regions, maybe regions with a much much heavier load over traditional holiday periods (ie. north america) are taking a bit longer, so sony have held off with any official announcements because of the initial promise of a worldwide release. they are probably still clinging to the hope of that One Date, even though it would practically better to admit the dream is over and that it'll be releasing in different regions on different dates; not the least because the only real value of a 'worldwide release' was to allay fears that japan would get it months and months ahead of time, and that's not really an issue at this stage

so we're getting it very soon and the only people who suffer much are those so obsessive that they need that date, like it's some kind of divine reward, an announcement which will make the game more real. well, it's real, we've seen that much. it won't be long, we know that much. what are you really waiting for?

fabprems

lowrider007 said:
If this is true then why on the bloody hell aren't Sony giving us a date?, are they honestly going to wait until they are shipped and on the shelves before they announce anything?

I see a pattern right here...
Well, I guess that Activision inspired a lot of people with the release of Black ops wii :lol

V_Arnold

lowrider007 said:

Yes it is.
There has never been a case that a platform holder's most important franchise's next iteration is coming in 14 days, and there has been no word of a release date yet, not to mention the agressive ad campaign all around the world. Which is not happening right now.

Seriously, cant imagine Microsoft ever doing this kind of blunder with Halo. No way. And I do not really get how Sony manages to do this.

Big-ass Ramp

V_Arnold said:
Yes it is.
There has never been a case that a platform holder's most important franchise's next iteration is coming in 14 days, and there has been no word of a release date yet, not to mention the agressive ad campaign all around the world. Which is not happening right now.

Seriously, cant imagine Microsoft ever doing this kind of blunder with Halo. No way. And I do not really get how Sony manages to do this.

I keep thinking it's got to be some sort of brilliant campaign to create a vacuum for any sort of info that the hype shoots through the roof. I just can't believe a company like Sony could screw up this badly.

marathonfool said:
Sony is doing a no marketing release. They won't even announce the release date. Bow down to your new business overlord.

This is the only explanation possible at this point: they are just reorganizing and renegociating the entire communication and marketing campaign to move it to end of november/early december.

If they had not announce the release date, it's because marketing schedules are not down yet.

bsjezz said:
it ain't gonna release the same time everywhere, trust me

It never had a worldwide release in the same sense as Black Ops, where that's released on the same day everywhere. GT5 was going to release in November 2nd in the US and Europe would get it between the 3rd and the 5th. I expect the new date to be the same.

SolidSnakex said:
It never had a worldwide release in the same sense as Black Ops, where that's released on the same day everywhere. GT5 was going to release in November 2nd in the US and Europe would get it between the 3rd and the 5th. I expect the new date to be the same.

i doubt it will be a matter of days. it looks like euro territories are weeks ahead.

Big-ass Ramp

SolidSnakex said:
Which means nothing. All they're saying is that they haven't stated anything officially.

Yeah... Weird that CVG says that they "dismissed" the rumors; they didn't comment on the rumors. "Dismissing," to me, would be them saying that that's not the date.

Dead Man

Despera said:
Meh, that's not even a no comment. They did not say anything at all.

Edit: The whole statement from Sony as quoted on the page.

An SCEA rep has told CVG: "Unfortunately we can't comment on this as it is a European page and we don't know where this information is coming from. We have not made any official announcements on launch timing yet."

bsjezz said:
i doubt it will be a matter of days. it looks like euro territories are weeks ahead.

Based on what exactly? Weeks? There's not a chance in hell that they're going to have that type of gap between releases in territories.

SolidSnakex said:
Based on what exactly? Weeks? There's not a chance in hell that they're going to have that type of gap between releases in territories.

based on the fact that we know it's ready to sell in EU, but they aren't even prepared to say anything about it in other territories.

edit: manufacturing processes are predictable. the only reason they wouldn't be able to pinpoint A Date would be if those processes haven't even begun yet. ergo, in some places they have finished, in some they haven't started. weeks of difference.

Despera

Banned
bsjezz said:
based on the fact that we know it's ready to sell in EU, but they aren't even prepared to say anything about it in other territories.

Early 2011 release for NA, late November for EU would be hilarious.

Dead Man

bsjezz said:
They're not saying anything about it in the EU, either.

Despera said:
Early 2011 release for NA, late November for EU would be hilarious.
If Australia was included in the EU, then yes...

Dead Man said:
They're not saying anything about it in the EU, either.

but they will sell it, when NA acknowledges it's going to be some time.

remember, people. this doesn't matter to us. we understand that the playstation three is, in fact, without region locking.

bsjezz said:

Sony hasn't officially said anything about when it's coming out in any territory. They're not going to put a gap in between the releases of the game. They've screwed up so far but that would be a monumental screw up on their part. They're sooner just delay all regions so that they can match up than release versions weeks apart.

SolidSnakex said:
Sony hasn't officially said anything about when it's coming out in any territory. They're not going to put a gap in between the releases of the game. They've screwed up so far but that would be a monumental screw up on their part. They're sooner just delay all regions so that they can match up than release versions weeks apart.

you're forgetting one word

it begins with a capital C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom