• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

flyinpiranha said:
While I appreciate the effort he puts into his games it seems like he doesn't give a shit about the fans that buy his games.

you would think that spending more money on the game would be caring about fans and not vice versa :)

flyinpiranha said:
While I appreciate the effort he puts into his games it seems like he doesn't give a shit about the fans that buy his games.

Really? This is a guy that took his bed from home and put it in his office for the last months of GT3's development. Through that period he never went home, he just worked with the team to complete the game. Does that sound like someone that doesn't give a shit about the fans of GT?

Metalmurphy said:
Horns
Damage
Skidmarks
Improved Smoke
Reverse Lights
Custom Soundtracks
And probably lots of other stuff

All stuff the fans were asking for. All added. Kaz didn't even want damage in but he put it in cause everyone was requesting it. I think people are getting a little offensive IMO.

You're probably right. It was that close, I could smell it. I can't help it if I'm a little bitchy ... still doesn't excuse him for not giving a date or even letting people know what's up besides silence when the launch date rolled on by the calendar.

Reverse lights? Skidmarks? Damage? Horns? ... you mean stuff that cars have? Thanks Kaz!

I know he's added some stuff because of "fans asking"
(I personally think because of Forza and every other game on the planet having these features)
but that's a pretty funny list. I heard he's adding tires too (I am just joking so don't take it too seriously).

EDIT: Looks like a struck a nerve since the regulars are quoting me like crazy. I think this has been handled horribly no matter how the game ends up. I'm still buying it because his games are great but the lack of information is just annoying. Does it happen with other games? Sure. Does it happen with all games? Not at all.

I just don't get the defensive mechanism when saying this release has been a fucking joke. It has been ... and continues to be ... I mean, we STILL don't have an absolute release yet do we? Just gifs and quotes from interviews ...

commedieu

Banned
maybe gtp shouldn't be considered for the cia...

gigantic photo of the topgear track... courtesy of... Southend Rage on that..site..

*spip*

flyinpiranha said:
You're probably right. It was that close, I could smell it. I can't help it if I'm a little bitchy ... still doesn't excuse him for not giving a date or even letting people know what's up besides silence when the launch date rolled on by the calendar.

Reverse lights? Skidmarks? Damage? Horns? ... you mean stuff that cars have? Thanks Kaz!

I know he's added some stuff because of "fans asking"
(I personally think because of Forza and every other game on the planet having these features)
but that's a pretty funny list. I heard he's adding tires too (I am just joking so don't take it too seriously).

EDIT: Looks like a struck a nerve since the regulars are quoting me like crazy. I think this has been handled horribly no matter how the game ends up. I'm still buying it because his games are great but the lack of information is just annoying. Does it happen with other games? Sure. Does it happen with all games? Not at all.

I just don't get the defensive mechanism when saying this release has been a fucking joke. It has been ... and continues to be ... I mean, we STILL don't have an absolute release yet do we? Just gifs and quotes from interviews ...

So Forza and all the other games started to have them just after GT4? :/

Iknos 2.0

commedieu said:

gigantic photo of the topgear track... courtesy of... Southend Rage

*snip*
Magazine Scans. Probably not a good idea to post that here.

-viper-

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
I think people are getting a little defensive IMO. Just because I yell FUCK!!! doesn't mean I don't appreciate what PD/Kaz do and will line up and buy the game anyway ... but come on, he knows he has rabid fans just as much as he is a fan of racing and they knew well before ... uh, today?! .. that it wouldn't make the release.

Am I angry because this was my most anticipated holiday release? Yep. So take that as you will .. I'm pissed. Apologize for their "perfectionism" all you want but they seem to not give a fuck about the fans and he's only making a game for himself.
Better to wait for a polished product than to rush a game for it to be a buggy mess at launch. F1 2010 and Need For Speed Shift are obvious examples. Both could have been great, but were ruining by many gamebreaking bugs. Although the latter was fixed (not sure about F1 2010), it was a couple of months after and far too late for me to even care anymore.

And FYI, all the features requested by the fans are actually in GT5, for once!

Considering it's the most feature packed game ever, I'm sure it will be worth the wait (as long as they promise to deliver it this year.)

Metalmurphy said:

Iknos 2.0

Don't even start ... come on, you've seen me in these threads and I don't remotely go to that level. But you made a list with REVERSE LIGHTS and SKIDMARKS? Come on dude, he "added those' because of fans? Maybe a fan listed it as a want but why wouldn't you add that shit in an ever evolving racing game.

Again .. I'm not insulting the fucking guy, as of late the mismanagement of the release seems like an affront to fans that have been waiting, that have taken time off work, that have purchased 100's of dollars in "gear" in anticipation ... will it come out eventually? Sure.

-viper- said:
Better to wait for a polished product than to rush a game for it to be a buggy mess at launch. F1 2010 and Need For Speed Shift are obvious examples. Both could have been great, but were ruining by many gamebreaking bugs. Although the latter was fixed (not sure about F1 2010), it was a couple of months after and far too late for me to even care anymore.

And FYI, all the features requested by the fans are actually in GT5, for once!

Considering it's the most feature packed game ever, I'm sure it will be worth the wait (as long as they promise to deliver it this year.)

I agree completely ... I should have clarified that it seems they don't give a shit about fans "lately". It is hyperbole as they obviously care but I've already stated my reasons and every time somebody posts they are upset it just gets shot down with "Kaz is God, fuck off".

Meh, I can't wait for the game, but this release has been a fucking joke.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Look, I love GT just about as much as everyone. This game will deliver in spades. It will be great.

But to have a deadline set more than six months ago, and then miss it by a few weeks for whatever reason during the busiest holiday in the US is just stupid. Kaz should have planned for this better. This should have never happened. What the hell were they thinking?

Gah, now I'm sad again. :(

flyinpiranha said:
Don't even start ... come on, you've seen me in these threads and I don't remotely go to that level. But you made a list with REVERSE LIGHTS and SKIDMARKS? Come on dude, he "added those' because of fans? Maybe a fan listed it as a want but why wouldn't you add that shit in an ever evolving racing game.

Again .. I'm not insulting the fucking guy, as of late the mismanagement of the release seems like an affront to fans that have been waiting, that have taken time off work, that have purchased 100's of dollars in "gear" in anticipation ... will it come out eventually? Sure.

As ridiculous as it may sound those are things that never were in previous GT games and MANY people, were asking for them for GT5, even became runing jokes here, GTplanet, etc. And they were added. Even GT5P didn't have them, as basic as it is, so yeah, how can you think it was not because people were complaining?

UFRA

I think the GT5 OT should not be posted until 1 day before release. Otherwise, we will just ruin the first 30 pages with garbage arguments as usual... here we go again.

Corto

I really need to get on GT portable again to collect some more cars to import to GT5. *runs to the PSP*

Corto said:
I really need to get on GT portable again to collect some more cars to import to GT5. *runs to the PSP*

How does that work? Arcade mode only I assume? I have GT Portable and I've played it for like 1/2 hour total.

Metalmurphy said:
As ridiculous as it may sound those are things that never were in previous GT games and MANY people, were asking for them for GT5, even became runing jokes here, GTplanet, etc. And they were added. Even GT5P didn't have them, as basic as it is, so yeah, how can you think it was not because people were complaining?

To make things better we got some stuff people were not even expecting.
I remember the days of no way is GT 5 going to have weather\ day \ night races\ course maker etc etc.
That was just few months ago .

Metalmurphy said:

I clarified that the "don't care about fans" was related to the release up above

UFRA said:
I think the GT5 OT should not be posted until 1 day before release. Otherwise, we will just ruin the first 30 pages with garbage arguments as usual... here we go again.

Sure, so we can't talk about the release date and management of that release in a thread about the release of the game? The OT will be fine. Stay out of a thread dealing with the release date of GT5 if you don't want to see stuff regarding the release date of GT5.

Corto said:

You apparently only get to transfer 200 cars. So you don't need to collect all of them.

And yes, it's for Arcade Mode only.

SolidSnakex said:
You apparently only get to transfer 200 cars. So you don't need to collect all of them.

And yes, it's for Arcade Mode only.

Do you choose the 200 cars? Or is it a list of select cars that are transferable?

Melfice7

-viper- said:
Better to wait for a polished product than to rush a game for it to be a buggy mess at launch.

i will bet you that this will be the buggiest GT ever, it's just too big not to have a shitload of glitches

f0rk

What are the must have GTPSP for arcade mode? I'm not a huge car buff so I just buy the expensive names I know, never had enough willpower to save for a F1 car though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
UFRA said:
Oh, no we won't. :)

gtmax

So you guys that dont mind the wait, if they now say, 'March 2011 because we need more time.' I guess you guys would be perfectly okay with it too? Is there any delay that you guys would consider unacceptable, so long as PD justifies it as time needed to further polish the game?

Corto said:
Damn you! Now I'll set my alarm clock to wake me at 4 a.m. to check this thread! :lol

Don't do it. I really don't believe it's gonna get announced there. Hits perhaps, but nothing worth staying up for.

gtmax said:
So you guys that dont mind the wait, if they now say, 'March 2011 because we need more time.' I guess you guys would be perfectly okay with it too? Is there any delay that you guys would consider unacceptable, so long as PD justifies it as time needed to further polish the game?
That depends. If they also said they were gonna had porsches I'd be totally cool with it.

SolidSnakex said:
Really? This is a guy that took his bed from home and put it in his office for the last months of GT3's development. Through that period he never went home, he just worked with the team to complete the game. Does that sound like someone that doesn't give a shit about the fans of GT?
We all appreciate his hardwork and passion for Gran Turismo and cars. But you have to agree that PR for GT5 has been inconsistent at best. Remember the time we were scrambling for breadcrumbs from TGS?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Y2Kev said:
Oh, no we won't. :)

They are watching! :lol

I remember the days of no way is GT 5 going to have weather\ day \ night races\ course maker etc etc.
That was just few months ago .

Right. I would rather he left out skidmarks and reverse lights, than day/night and course maker. Some people don't seem to look at the bigger picture and all the stuff that is in the this game. Sure other games have tons of cars, skidmarks, reverse lights, damage, day/night, weather, track makers and the other stuff in GT, but I can't really think of any one other game that has all of it.

Honestly, if there ever was a game for which I would love to see a post-mortem dev feature, this would be it.

We all appreciate his hardwork and passion for Gran Turismo and cars. But you have to agree that PR for GT5 has been inconsistent at best. Remember the time we were scrambling for breadcrumbs from TGS?

The PR has been weak. I wish they had a community manager of some sort. Not an advertising/hype person, but at least someone who can be approached for comments/clarifications and give updates. I nominate translator-san.

Yoboman

RustyNails said:
That's because there was an NDA till the second day of TGS :]

beast786

RustyNails said:

Part of the reason is he wants to surprise his fanbase and try not to mislead them. I really feel like he feels like crap if does break his promise.

I have no problem with delay or longer dev time as long as the product has his vision. There are plenty of other games for me to go with. Same goes with TLG.

gtmax said:

We all want the game. We're just saying that we understand why it takes this long. GT obviously isn't developed like your usual racing game even though some people still look at it like that. So it takes time and there are issues along the way. Again, even GT4 had this late call delay. It was scheduled to be released in early December in Japan and two weeks before the release they had to delay it and push it back to late December due to additional dev time.

But at this point the game is done, there's no reason why it should take till March to get it released. It's on Sony now so no one should point the finger at PD anymore.

-viper-

Banned
gtmax said:
I don't care as long as I get it this year. But a 2011 release would be FUCKING UNACCEPTABLE in my eyes.

UFRA

flyinpiranha said:
Sure, so we can't talk about the release date and management of that release in a thread about the release of the game? The OT will be fine. Stay out of a thread dealing with the release date of GT5 if you don't want to see stuff regarding the release date of GT5.

lol

I never said that people "can't" talk about certain things. I was simply pointing out how another GT5 thread is getting people at each other's throats over minor garbage.

And my point was, I'd hate to see the OT like this. Argument after argument. It gets in the way of stuff that actually matters...like enjoying the game. I'll be damned if I want to post in the OT about a new awesome car I just won, and it gets shadowed by a dumbass argument about whether the gravel physics are accurately modeled or not.

This is just a game afterall...a product meant for entertainment and enjoyment...not to be taken so damn seriously all the time.

And a big :lol to you for telling me to stay out of a thread.

Melfice7

gtmax said:

what can you do if it happens? not buy the game out of spite and prevent yourself from enjoying something awesome?

Zertez

Circle T said:
Yea, I'm not really trying to excuse the game or anything, there are clearly parts missing, but this is a pretty rare example of a car in this game. I'm guessing if you look real close, most all of the cars have very minimal modeling of their underbody. That will work fine 99.9% of the time, since you have to struggle to see any of that under most cars. But the Kombi has over a foot of ground clearance, and a straight-on screenshot is going to expose that quite glaringly.
Understandable they would not put much work into the underbody, but to put the torsion arm, kingpin and linkpins in at the wheels would not taken much time. That picture is somewhat accurate for a model. I have owned 4 splitties, so far, so I know the front suspension assembly sits very high.

The problem I have is the mechanical equipment at the wheel/drum hub. It is basically looks like a pair of fingers going into the wheel. Sorry I dont have a picture. It isnt a huge deal, just a minor detail. Im not going to cancel my preorder or anything. Im happy they put them in the game, it is just surprising for a game with so much attention spent on the details of the cars, to omit something so small.

dwebo

commedieu said:

gigantic photo of the topgear track... courtesy of... Southend Rage
"We spent days watching every episode of TopGear," one Polyphony designer tells us. "We noticed that, in big powertests, often Andy [Wilman, TG's executive producer] will focus in on tiny details - a flower blowing in the wind, a few blades of grass. That was the level of detail we needed to capture."
They are literally insane. :lol

Iknos

Metalmurphy said:

Don't even start. You were wrong end of story.

These features should be standard in every racer. There shouldn't even be an argument.

Iknos said:
Don't even start. You were wrong end of story.

These features should be standard in every racer. There shouldn't even be an argument.

:lol

If you say it enough times it might become the truth.

commedieu

Banned
Some games take a while to add horns...others still haven't manged to complete vehicle accuracy like Active Aero & Airbrakes after years of releases. In fact some of the most definitive racing games of our generation are missing features like those, correct virtual reproduction of vehicles braking & aeroodynamic systems. Yet, don't really affect their overall game quality. And aren't considered mandatory, as well as being ignored at review time.

Developers focus on different things. Some focus on vehicle accuracy, the ability to switch off all driving aids, gravity effects on suspension, photo reality, non-mosiac compressed image captures, more than 10 cars on a track at once, etc. Not extras that really have no bearing in most high speed races. People would cry about skidmarks/reverse lights and horns for each iteration of GT. These are the same people that wouldn't be able to keep the car on the road for the first turn, and end up just driving the wrong way on a track when you sync up with them online.

I wouldn't agree that fans demanded these things, but GT as a game was penalized for not having these things which aren't detrimental to the game. Some would pretend they would learn from their skids, but again.. same people who aren't anywhere to be found on any leaderboard... PD's just gone down the checklist of things detractors would focus on, and ignore everything else in the franchise.

I think the latest complaint about why GT isn't an accurate driving sim, is due to not having a livery editor.

Ezalc

Hey I have a, possibly stupid, question. Do you think you'll be able to play your own music while playing GT5? Aren't there some games that let you use your own music while you play?

Ezalc said:
Hey I have a, possibly stupid, question. Do you think you'll be able to play your own music while playing GT5? Aren't there some games that let you use your own music while you play?

Yes GT 5 is suppose to have custom soundtrack .
Should be great i never like most of the songs in GT anyway this should take care of that .

Ezalc said:

Yeah, custom soundtracks have been confirmed for GT5. Will be pretty useful when watching races as a spectator

thcsquad

flyinpiranha said:

I agree completely ... I should have clarified that it seems they don't give a shit about fans "lately". It is hyperbole as they obviously care but I've already stated my reasons and every time somebody posts they are upset it just gets shot down with "Kaz is God, fuck off".

Meh, I can't wait for the game, but this release has been a fucking joke.

I don't know why you think these things are up to Kaz. Polyphony and Kaz are not marketing the game, and they can only say what Sony tells them they can say. Indeed, once its gone gold and stamped (like it is now, apparently), it's 100% out of his hands, and more up to the factory.

UFRA said:
lol

I never said that people "can't" talk about certain things. I was simply pointing out how another GT5 thread is getting people at each other's throats over minor garbage.

And my point was, I'd hate to see the OT like this. Argument after argument. It gets in the way of stuff that actually matters...like enjoying the game. I'll be damned if I want to post in the OT about a new awesome car I just won, and it gets shadowed by a dumbass argument about whether the gravel physics are accurately modeled or not.

This is just a game afterall...a product meant for entertainment and enjoyment...not to be taken so damn seriously all the time.

And a big :lol to you for telling me to stay out of a thread.

Don't go all tough-guy on me, I was simply stating that if you didn't want to read the "stupid arguments" related to the release of the game maybe a thread titled "Gran Turismo goes Gold, disc stamping in progress" that will obviously turn into speculation (and pseudo-arguments) about the release date which has not been announced yet, might just be the worst possible place for you to go.

And why should your car that you just won be more important than people talking about something different? Or do you want this to be "Gran Turismo 5 |OT| of only things UFRA wants to talk about"?

You're going to see negative comments, get used to it ... whether 'you' think they're important is irrelevant. In fact I'd rather discuss gravel physics than read about how GT5 Purchaser 1.2 Million got car X ... but I won't get mad when you post it :D

thcsquad said:
I don't know why you think these things are up to Kaz. Polyphony and Kaz are not marketing the game, and they can only say what Sony tells them they can say. Indeed, once its gone gold and stamped (like it is now, apparently), it's 100% out of his hands, and more up to the factory.

They probably aren't ... but it's not like he doesn't know. Why haven't we gotten a date yet? Or at least something? That's all. .

dwebo

Ezalc said:
As long as they include a button to change tracks during a race I'll be a happy camper. Nothing worse than being stuck doing 5 laps with a crappy song.

Moegames

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
Oh yeahhhhhhhh.

Ironically I got my Amazon email today about the "new date of December 31, 2010".
Here's hoping it comes before that placeholder.
its a placeholder or sony is real real dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom