• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard a story yesterday that the environment artists have suitcases at their desk, ready to travel the world with light metering and digital reference equipment as and when necessary. The amount of money this game must have cost to make is unreal.

RE: Constant delays, apparently it's the culture of Japanese studios to just say yes, whatever. "Can you get the game out next week?" - to which they will say yes, even if they can't. It's no secret that Yamauchi is a perfectionist and doesn't get pushed around by Sony.

Fistwell said:
Did you catch the episode in which Translator san's name is finally revealed?
Taka something, right? Its an alias. Everybody knows that Translator san's real name is hidden from mortals. It is meant to be that way.

UnluckyKate said:
News (hope it's not old), according to 01net (a major high tech site in France) the delay was also due to higher preorder so Sony delayed the game so there's no supply problems at retailers. They are talking about 450 000 copies for France only. For comparaison, Activision prepared 650 000 copies of CoD Black Ops (for PS360). Source from SonyFrance via 01net.com

http://www.01net.com/editorial/523302/gran-turismo-5-la-sortie-pour-noel-se-precise/
Alright this is the first bit of news that actually makes sense. All other "final tuning", "optimization", "make everything work together" nonsense was just that. Nonsense.

UnluckyKate said:
News (hope it's not old), according to 01net (a major high tech site in France) the delay was also due to higher preorder so Sony delayed the game so there's no supply problems at retailers. They are talking about 450 000 copies for France only. For comparaison, Activision prepared 650 000 copies of CoD Black Ops (for PS360). Source from SonyFrance via 01net.com

http://www.01net.com/editorial/523302/gran-turismo-5-la-sortie-pour-noel-se-precise/

It was posted already, and it's actually 555k copies for France (450k regular, 100k collector's, 5k special editions) excluding bundles.

Just popping in.
Seems that in summary:

Aussie fella got ahold of Gt5 production disc.
Provides evidence of said disc to Jordan of Gt Planet who's info is spread on gaf.

Sony ninjas/Jfk's assassins shut this party down.

Thus we now know Sony is likely shipping before christmas

Roughly. Aussie dude was brought up by other aussie (Sew) in this very thread, disc pic ends up on GTplanet, Jordan lays down the law.
Somehow, Ken Kutaragi gets blamed for the bloodbath.

distrbnce

Banned
Erg, can't believe we should've been playing this for days already... the agony.

There has been a severe lack of gifs for the last several pages, some vigil.

kd8jux.gif

Peterthumpa

distrbnce said:
Erg, can't believe we should've been playing this for days already... the agony.

There has been a severe lack of gifs for the last several pages, some vigil.

kd8jux.gif
Which video is that? Seems that they corrected the pixelated shadows?

alba

Little is the new Big
felipepl said:
Which video is that? Seems that they corrected the pixelated shadows?

That's pretty old. It's from last year's TGS I believe where they demo'd the GPS technology within GT5 where what you see is basically a replay generated from a real life track performance recorded with the GPS technology.

EDIT: beaten.

dolemite

UnluckyKate said:

So what's so hard about printing 5 million disks? Everyone else does it but not Sony?

JWong

Banned
dolemite said:
So what's so hard about printing 5 million disks? Everyone else does it but not Sony?
Errr... I think Sony prints all the games. They are the ones who own the disc printing plants.

Peterthumpa

Metalmurphy said:
It's not the cars. It's the angle your car is at in relation to the light source.
I don't think that angle has something to do with this. After all, it's just a computed shadow cast on the console (which is rendered in 3D) so the algorithm to compute the shadows should be the same for the whole game, I suppose?

mr_nothin

Banned
I hope this does COD numbers just to give the industry a slap in the face!
And YES, someone actually figured out a way to make a GT/COD comparison :lol

flyinpiranha said:
Maybe, we'll all be playing it instead of talking about playing it :lol
:lol

No. I'm sure it will be quite the opposite. People will be too busy bitching about the game or defending it. It will definitely be glorious.

Majine

Banned
I must say I hate the people who say "I hope this bombs because they've delayed it so much". First off, it won't, but it would be sad if the true perfectionists of this industry would get punished.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Majine said:
I must say I hate the people who say "I hope this bombs because they've delayed it so much". First off, it won't, but it would be sad if the true perfectionists of this industry would get punished.
Those people are stupid trolls that would troll the game for any reason.

Melfice7

brotkasten said:
:lol

No. I'm sure it will be quite the opposite. People will be too busy bitching about the game or defending it. It will definitely be glorious.

i believe the bitching of every little and big thing will be of epic proportions

Ashes

Banned
mr_nothin said:

Nah, it's been done before. :p

edit:mad:melfice7, True dat.

AndyD

aka andydumi
dolemite said:

Its not just printing, but a lot have to be packed in the console bundles which take a longer time to ship as they are heavy and large.

So while discs only can be printed/packed in individual countries and shipped close quickly, bundles are put together in China/Taiwan or wherever the consoles are made then the whole heavy bundle needs to be shipped.

And I am sure Sony does not want the discs going out on shelves until the bundles are also available on the shelf.

Truespeed

mr_nothin said:

The only question is whether GT5 will exceed Black Ops multiplatform numbers - the PS3 version is a given. 30 minute ban bet anyone?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Truespeed said:
The only question is whether GT5 will exceed Black Ops multiplatform numbers - the PS3 version is a given. 30 minute ban bet anyone?

GT5 outselling the PS3 version of Black Ops is highly likely considering GT5:p sold 5 million alone.

Melfice7

Truespeed said:

ps3 only is a given for sure, multi hell no, cod's fanbase are the face of this generation, theres no stopping it :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom