• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konosuke

SolidSnakex said:
They even demoed it with one of the most expensive wheels. So it'll even feel weird for you to go with a DFGT even though it's a quality wheel.
Hopefully other retailer uses a DFGT for me to try it. But yeah, a wheel is better than no wheel at all.

Despera

Banned
gt5tt.jpg

Ok. I can't even...

Polyphony and Sony... Look what you've done.

Gran Turismo. Grand Tour is it? This fucking launch feels like the grandest tour of my days. It is literally like a 24hr race....for multiple days.....seemingly forever....

I don't think I'm going to make it guys.

Az

Since we don't have any news for now we should just have threads like on gtplanet. "How long will your hair be when you play GT5?" or "Do you think Kaz's birth certificate is at his house or with his parents?"

<3 gtplanet

I cannot believe how some people here are totally underestimating or are just oblivious to the power of marketing (advertising).

If Sony doesn't step up their game and cash and do a marketing blitz at least 10% of the size of the recent Microsoft Kinect's Marketing blitz;

GT5 sales will be drastically effected (for the worst) the first two weeks of the game's release.

And If Gran Turismo IS really that popular and synonymous with motor racing than why the f' do I still have to watch Budweiser commercials reminding me "it's the King of Beers" every ten minutes while watching prime time TV? Surely my kids, my grandma and my Uncle already know what a Budweiser is already. But that's not the point really is it?

Of course this game will sell to it's large and loyal fan base, but two things people fail to see as the bigger picture is
1) A Video Game software just like Movies needs to sell a crazy amount to at least break even if not profit: and you cannot just rely on "Internet culture" or "word of mouth" for that magnitude of sales.
and 2) Advertising works! plain and simple, it's been working for decades.

So if I don't see my local Toronto Subway station's wall and floors covered with GT5 adverts within the next 2-3 weeks..well I'm gonna be pissed, I guess.

UFRA

EricHasNoPull said:
I cannot believe how some people here are totally underestimating or are just oblivious to the power of marketing (advertising).

If Sony doesn't step up their game and cash and do a marketing blitz at least 10% of the size of the recent Microsoft Kinect's Marketing blitz;

GT5 sales will be drastically effected (for the worst) the first two weeks of the game's release.

And If Gran Turismo IS really that popular and synonymous with motor racing than why the f' do I still have to watch Budweiser commercials reminding me "it's the King of Beers" every ten minutes while watching prime time TV? Surely my kids, my grandma and my Uncle already know what a Budweiser is already. But that's not the point really is it?

Of course this game will sell to it's large and loyal fan base, but two things people fail to see as the bigger picture is
1) A Video Game software just like Movies needs to sell a crazy amount to at least break even if not profit: and you cannot just rely on "Internet culture" or "word of mouth" for that magnitude of sales.

So if I don't see my local Toronto Subway station's wall and floors covered with GT5 adverts within the next 2-3 weeks..well I'm gonna be pissed, I guess.

I think everyone here understands that advertising is important.

The guy I quoted was saying that the ENTIRE success of GT5 rests in advertising...as if it was some new game no one heard of before.

That is all I was commenting on.

spwolf

EricHasNoPull said:

considering how many GTP copies they sold, i wouldnt doubt Sony marketing for GT5.

So the disks are being pressed and the australian guy looks to have a copy of it.

Internet jumped on him, he chickened out, and now we won´t have news on that front.

The thing is, if they have disks ready, WHY CAN´T THOSE MONKEYS SAY SOMETHING!

God, i can´t understand Sony.

We had enough of BS over these last five years, i thought they knew that.

EricHasNoPull said:

Game can sell on word of mouth alone in Europe, Gran Turismo is huge over here and it is the most anticipated game for 2010.

Travado

seattle6418 said:
So the disks are being pressed and the australian guy looks to have a copy of it.

Internet jumped on him, he chickened out, and now we won´t have news on that front.

The thing is, if they have disks ready, WHY CAN´T THOSE MONKEYS SAY SOMETHING!

God, i can´t understand Sony.

We had enough of BS over these last five years, i thought they knew that.

Sony: "The new GT5 release date will be... NOW!!!

The game is in the stores at this moment, go grab your copy."

Mark my words. :D

dwebo

Travado said:

I hope not - I still have to decide which version to pre-order :lol

40 bucks is a lot for a book

All those wiki edits will get that page locked, so when it DOES need to be updated we wont be able to. The first couple were funny, but jokes beaten to death aren't even close to being funny.

Travado said:

As far as advertising goes, unless they had a new date communicated weeks ago, it won't even be in the Sunday ads... look at the Target ad as an example, that's how long of a lead time there is. I would love to be able to just go buy this thing ASAP... ship those discs out, let us buy it, and then advertise to all the people that don't live on message boards at a later date.

EDIT: I can't believe GT5 Prologue has been out for 2 1/2 years. How time flies.

Piggus

phosphor112 said:
All those wiki edits will get that page locked, so when it DOES need to be updated we wont be able to. The first couple were funny, but jokes beaten to death aren't even close to being funny.

Oh noez! What will you do with the rest of your weekend if that happens?! :0

Only teasing ;)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Kagari said:
That's what I think too.
Then they'll have a blog post with a video showing someone unboxing a copy of GT5.

And then placing the disc in the system until it boots up.

Then at the end they hold up the day's current newspaper.

Noshino

EricHasNoPull said:

first of all, the Kinect comparison is out of place, as Kinect depended in it to sell, Gran Turismo doesn't.

Second, expecting a huge advertising campaign FROM Sony, at least to me, seems not impossible but unlikely. the auto industry is already doing that job for them! Fuck, like someone mentioned even a major in Spain is planning a special event, you have red bull supporting as well as top gear. It would be a big missed opportunity for any media outlet in the automotive and gaming industry that doesn't at least have an article related to gt5

when it comes to retail stores, you have wal-mart featuring them, and so is gamestop.

Mush

Gosh darn it, I wouldn't be feeling so hyped right now if the whole disc fiasco hadn't happened and then followed by Jordan coming out and saying he'd have more info in "10-12 hours", and then changing to his stance to "Soon". :(

FUCKFUCKFUCK

Mark my words Sony is delaying on this whole announcement because of how much publicity they are getting from it. Every gaming-blog is covered in GT5 news. The longer Sony can keep people talking about GT5 and not Kinect the better for them.

Truespeed

BruceLeeRoy said:
Mark my words Sony is delaying on this whole announcement because of how much publicity they are getting from it. Every gaming-blog is covered in GT5 news. The longer Sony can keep people talking about GT5 and not Kinect the better for them.

Which is why they choreographed the GT5 disc leak. This viral stunt started a tsunami of speculation and interest. You can't buy marketing like this. It must be meticulously planned by marketing cells that are unaware of each other.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
BruceLeeRoy said:
That makes sense. Perhaps too much sense for Sony's marketing department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom