• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kagari said:
Unfortunately.

I was going to avatar quote you but then i thought "Poor Kagari, she still waits for XIII Versus info blowout"... and i dont like to kick 'em when theyre down.

* Hugs Kagari *

Ashes

Banned
Kagari said:
We don't really do ban bets anymore.

hmm.... I've said previously, that I don't think it will sell as much as previous Gt entries, and not as much as what people are thinking. But the rumoured 7 million discs pressing thing out the launch window, has put in me in jiffy.
I think a whole lot depends on the ratings of black ops. In the 90s, and it's over for Gran Turismo.

urgh... ask me next week. Black ops will sell gangbusters out the door, so we'll really learn nothing then, but once the ratings and reviews are out, I'll suggest something...

Thetallywacker said:
I'll take the bet if we can leave out NA sales numbers for both.

Tips hat. Very very clever. :lol

spwolf

Ashes1396 said:
hmm.... I've said previously, that I don't think it will sell as much as previous Gt entries, and not as much as what people are thinking. But the rumoured 7 million discs pressing thing out the launch window, has put in me in jiffy.
I think a whole lot depends on the ratings of black ops. In the 90s, and it's over for Gran Turismo.

urgh... ask me next week. Black ops will sell gangbusters out the door, so we'll really learn nothing then, but once the ratings and reviews are out, I'll suggest something...

Tips hat. Very very clever. :lol

there is little chance that COD and GT will influence each others score.

Iknos

Who cares about that disc pic? Its no release date or game info.

Would be nice to know which tracks are getting day/night or what sort of online features there are or more details about the track editor.

Fuck that disc. The guy should have went through the entire game and wrote up all of its details and modes. Comment on questions that PD hasn't directly answered. LAN Play in the game?

Whoever that guy was he was a complete failure.

AndyD

aka andydumi
spwolf said:
there is little chance that COD and GT will influence each others score.
Right. And GT is a couple of years long marathon whereas COD is a sprint until the next shooter in a few months.

Coincidentally I was at Walmart today and the TV wall had nothing but Sony Move and Sony PS3 and games adds on a loop including a GT trailer. There was a group watching.

Also, the door scanner posts had the covers with COD on the them and several people stopped to look at the artwork. It looks like a menacing guy in semi-dark.

They will both do well, but if you start diving regions or time frames, then any comparisons sort of fall apart.

Iknos said:

Would be nice to know which tracks are getting day/night or what sort of online features there are or more details about the track editor.

Fuck that disc. The guy should have went through the entire game and wrote up all of its details and modes. Comment on questions that PD hasn't directly answered. LAN Play in the game?

Yes he's a failure cause he does not want get lock up or cause some one there job .
Info will come just wait for reviews, should not be to long now.

gundamkyoukai said:
Yes he's a failure cause he does not want get lock up or cause some one there job .
Info will come just wait for reviews, should not be to long now.
But that's exactly why this disc doesn't matter.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think the disc was an attempt to prove final discs are indeed being printed.

There was doubt as to whether it was being printed or not (despite Kaz's statement it was) and the disc picture confirmed it. Or tried to.

expy

Banned
Iknos said:

If you had read anything within the last few pages you would know that his PS3 is broken.

Wazzim

Banned
Melfice7 said:
disc is only important because if its real it means it might be released sooner than we expect thats all
And we're all going crazy about one pic because Sony refuses to communicate well.

Ashes

Banned
Iknos said:

Oh Iknos, it's not becoming of you to miss details.

edit: beaten!

Pachinko

This games sales will depend entirely on how much money sony spends to advertise it. I figure if they are pressing 7 million copies they might want to invest 50 million promoting it worldwide in the next 3 months.

It's had a solid 5 years of development time , I'll knock it down to 3 years though because I suspect GT5 prologue fiscally offset the first 2 years of dev time. That still leaves 36 months multiplied by 140 people multiplied by the average japanese game developer salary of roughly 57000$(US) and you've got a game that cost at least 24 million dollars, the cost of pressing 7 million discs must be at least 4 bucks per copy for a total of 28 million dollars, so you get a nice even number of ~50 million. Retailers aren't likely too worried about overstocking the game because eventually they'll sell but a huge ad campaign on sony's part will surely lead to both ps3's and GT5 selling faster. Say 3.5 million worldwide by years end.

If my proposed ad campaign is added to the dev cost you get a total of 100 million$ , sony is liable to see 35$ of revenue for each copy sold so selling 3.5 million would be great, they'd get a small return on their investment in the game and every copy sold after that would be pure profit.

Someone above mentioned that black ops my intrude on sales of this game, I'm not so sure about that, they have largely different audiences and I'm thinking COD is getting long in the tooth, I expect Black ops won't meet the sales of modern warfare 2 but it'll still do very well for itself.

Wazzim

Banned
Pachinko said:
This games sales will depend entirely on how much money sony spends to advertise it. I figure if they are pressing 7 million copies they might want to invest 50 million promoting it worldwide in the next 3 months.

It's had a solid 5 years of development time , I'll knock it down to 3 years though because I suspect GT5 prologue fiscally offset the first 2 years of dev time. That still leaves 36 months multiplied by 140 people multiplied by the average japanese game developer salary of roughly 57000$(US) and you've got a game that cost at least 24 million dollars, the cost of pressing 7 million discs must be at least 4 bucks per copy for a total of 28 million dollars, so you get a nice even number of ~50 million. Retailers aren't likely too worried about overstocking the game because eventually they'll sell but a huge ad campaign on sony's part will surely lead to both ps3's and GT5 selling faster. Say 3.5 million worldwide by years end.

If my proposed ad campaign is added to the dev cost you get a total of 100 million$ , sony is liable to see 35$ of revenue for each copy sold so selling 3.5 million would be great, they'd get a small return on their investment in the game and every copy sold after that would be pure profit.

Someone above mentioned that black ops my intrude on sales of this game, I'm not so sure about that, they have largely different audiences and I'm thinking COD is getting long in the tooth, I expect Black ops won't meet the sales of modern warfare 2 but it'll still do very well for itself.
The game's production cost is 60million, was already said in a initerview.
And 50 million for promotion seems too high for Sony, 25 would be more realistic IMO.

UFRA

Pachinko said:

So, it doesn't matter that the GT series is one of the most well known racing series in console history?

Sorry, but Sony could choose not to advertise this game at all and it would still sell to everyone and their grandmother.

Look how well Prologue sold, that wasn't even a "game".

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is one of those few games that has such a dedicated base that advertisement will not change much. They are doing the right thing with all the media interviews and collaborations though. It's more than just TV spots. I think this time it feels like they are driving the point of this being the ultimate experience by people who really do love cars.

This one will be like KZ2, the threads will get heavy views and I think GT5 in particular will hook more people.

UFRA said:
So, it doesn't matter that the GT series is one of the most well known racing series in console history?

Sorry, but Sony could choose not to advertise this game at all and it would still sell to everyone and their grandmother.

I agree 100%.

spwolf

Pachinko said:

bla bla bla? bla bla! bla bla...

bla bla!!!

Pachinko said:

Pachinko
Ignore me
(Today, 05:12 PM)
Reply | Quote

YoungHav

Banned
How many copies have the previous GT games sold? I really want to root for Sony but they don't do enough to advertise their own games. GT5's delay was a blessing in disguise because they need to offset Kinect's bajillion sales.

YoungHav said:
How many copies have the previous GT games sold? I really want to root for Sony but they don't do enough to advertise their own games. GT5's delay was a blessing in disguise because they need to offset Kinect's bajillion sales.

Gran Turismo 10,850
Gran Turismo 2 9,370
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 14,890
Gran Turismo 4 11,060

Melfice7

Neo 007 said:
World wide sales numbers after the first month.......Holy shit!!!

yeah i love this xD its like headlines "sales of X game disappoint after 2 weeks, it's a flop"

games sell long after being released! mind blown

Ranger X

UFRA said:

Actually you are BOTH wrong.
GT5 can sell a decent amount just by word of mouth but it would sell even more with good marketing. It's undeniable: good reputation gives sales and exposure gives sales. Thinking that a game can do better with only one or the other is being ignorant about how selling stuff works.

JWong

Banned
It's very strange that people are using CoD as a competitor. Did people forget about Hot Pursuit?

I think it's all irrelevant either way.

beast786

At work today I was looking at a Youtube video of GT5. My co-worker (late 50's), has absolutely no intrest in video game.

He was sitting on the other side but heard the roar of cars. He then asked me what was I watching. I replied by saying its a car racing game. His response " you mean gran turismo".

Now he does have interest in cars. But it is still amazing how far GT goes.

i-Lo

beast786 said:
At work today I was looking at a Youtube video of GT5. My co-worker (late 50's), has absolutely no intrest in video game.

He was sitting on the other side but heard the roar of cars. He then asked me what was I watching. I replied by saying its a car racing game. His response " you mean gran turismo".

Now he does have interest in cars. But it is still amazing how far GT goes.

The name is almost ubiquitous in the world of motoring. It's almost become one of those synonyms for verbs or genres (in this case).

The fact it comes out now should push the potential sales of the game to a new height.

LiquidMetal14

Ranger X said:
Actually you are BOTH wrong.
GT5 can sell a decent amount just by word of mouth but it would sell even more with good marketing. It's undeniable: good reputation gives sales and exposure gives sales. Thinking that a game can do better with only one or the other is being ignorant about how selling stuff works.
Exposure of different types works as well. Not just big TV ads. The fanbase and gamers in general know what is coming more than ever these days. As I said, collaborations and interviews are very potent and can touch different folks that may have had no interest in the game to begin with.

And like I said, this one feels like the most complete iteration thus far. You get the sense of this being the peak of the genre, by far.

JWong said:
It's very strange that people are using CoD as a competitor. Did people forget about Hot Pursuit?

I think it's all irrelevant either way.
Let's get it straight though, we're merely talking sales. At least that's what I was referring to. Trying to gauge sales compared to a AAA huge title like CoD.

Ranger X

LiquidMetal14 said:
Exposure of different types works as well. Not just big TV ads. The fanbase and gamers in general know what is coming more than ever these days. As I said, collaborations and interviews are very potent and can touch different folks that may have had no interest in the game to begin with.

And like I said, this one feels like the most complete iteration thus far. You get the sense of this being the peak of the genre, by far.

Let's get it straight though, we're merely talking sales. At least that's what I was referring to. Trying to gauge sales compared to a AAA huge title like CoD.

Well, I sure does hope they market it the best possible because the more people playing the better. There's a huge community part in that game and we need to find decent players so the game better be sold through the roof. :)

plainr_

lol @ wikipedia edit:

sglpw7.jpg

EDIT: BEATEN :lol

LiquidMetal14

December 2011 maybe? This is why wiki is constantly picked apart, because anyone can put any info in.

edit - Playstation 13??!?!?

AndyD

aka andydumi
shwimpy said:
It keeps changing. :lol :lol :lol

vzho2p.jpg

Yep.

- Polyphony Digital has also been involved in real life automotive projects. They have developed special versions of their Gran Turismo games for many car manufacturers as demonstrators for their cars. Nissan also commissioned them to design a special bodykit for their 350Z coupe, which first appeared in 'GT Concept: 2002 Tokyo - Geneva' as the "Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo Aero", later becoming the "Fairlady Z NISMO S-Tune Concept by GRAN TURISMO" in GT4. There was also a faster 'Z-Tune' version with minor styling revisions and 400PS. The S-Tune was later sold in real life by NISMO (NISsan MOtorsport) as a tuning package for existing owners. + Just sort GT5 out first. - - More recently, they were contracted to design the multifunction display on the new Nissan GT-R[1], which displays performance information such as G-forces, acceleration opening, brake pedal pressure, steering angle, an "optimal gearshift map," to emphasize economical vehicle operation.

-

- When Nissan was looking for a company to develop the GT-R's user-friendly 'multi-function meter', the car maker says Polyphony was the obvious choice because of the simple menu systems applied to video games such as Gran Turismo. "If you think about the GT-R's multi-function meter with the g-force information and everything else, we wanted it to be very easy to read, very easy to use," says Nissan's global vice president of communications, Simon Sproule. "It's really about the logic of how video games work and their menu systems - which anyone can use - and then applying it to the car."[2]

Gran Turismo 5 December 2011 maybe PlayStation 13

History of GT5 fails

Although millions of fans are begging and crying for some info , Sony and Polyphony do not react at any of their calls. This is also called 'The GT5 delay fiasco'. Thousands , maybe even millions of fans are disappointed by the lack of feedback to the fans. This is one of the biggest fails in the history of Sony/Polyphony Digital. They truly suck at making any dates. Don't put any fate in them , because the will stab you in your back and spit on your face. After that they kick dust in your face and start hitting you with a shovel.

LiquidMetal14

December 2011 - Playstation 4 now.

Now it has a history of GT5 fails section here............

History of GT5 fails
Although millions of fans are begging and crying for some info , Sony and Polyphony do not react at any of their calls. This is also called 'The GT5 delay fiasco'. Thousands , maybe even millions of fans are disappointed by the lack of feedback to the fans. This is one of the biggest fails in the history of Sony/Polyphony Digital. They truly suck at making any dates. Don't put any fate in them , because the will stab you in your back and spit on your face. After that they kick dust in your face and start hitting you with a shovel.

thuway

Pachinko said:

You don't even have a PS3 username in your profile. This game will sell gloriously.

Konosuke

Portuguese GAF, a GT5 demo is available on Colombo's Fnac with a G27 and a lame racing seat. I think it is the latest demo of it, it has damage, the Ring and Toscana.

It was the first time I played a GT with a wheel. I don't think I can go back to a pad now :lol

Konosuke said:
Portuguese GAF, a GT5 demo is available on Colombo's Fnac with a G27 and a lame racing seat. I think it is the latest demo of it, it has damage, the Ring and Toscana.

It was the first time I played a GT with a wheel. I don't think I can go back to a pad now :lol

They even demoed it with one of the most expensive wheels. So it'll even feel weird for you to go with a DFGT even though it's a quality wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom