• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Juicy Bob said:
Yes, but it hasn't accepted me yet.

Seriously guys, it's too much of a mess around for you, just go without me. I'm sorry to have fucked you all around but I have no idea why it won't work.
gonna accept it now.

*edit* done. join gafsupergt lounge

Its possible that u not seeing the yellow icon had to do with u not beeing on the FL. Some sort of protection

Edit:rage dump 2

Not to mention after Konosuke took me out, I went to pit, the AI takes control yanks me into a wall, and my car just drives through the entire pit lane without stopping. Had to do another entire fucking lap with massive damage, to pit again.

I am so pissed. GVS I was competitive and taken out, ok I can deal. This I was easily in the lead, pulling away, 11 second lead and get smashed.

*sheesh* Calm down gutter, just a game.

Also back markers don't have to make way. You have to overtake them like anyone else.

If he rammed you on purpose though, then that's a problem.

Angst

You did finish in second place Gutter... Not so bad. I had to start the race by entering the pits. And got a third place still. I'm pretty happy :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MM: He isn't the only one with problems with Ace/Konosuke. Do parade lap, I try to stay behind Niks (IIRC) for 4th. Start to accelerate out of the last corner/gear up to 4-5th and... SLAM, suddenly spinning and carnage trying to prevent myself from hitting others (staying to the right is my goal on that in general) and... out of the race for the rest of the game because I have to pit for damage.

It's really stupid and annoying.

Niks didn't show up in my results... his car disappeared near the end of the stream or something.

Niks left, AFAIK. He disppeared on mine as well.

No, GT5 is a game, this was supposed to be a league. If it didn't matter why bother with all of the leader boards and shit. Why not assign us stars and smiley faces for a good job. There are really good racers in this league and it is fun as fuck to race with. I put aside a lot of time on Saturdays to partake in this.

Konosuke

I didn't rammed into gutter on purpose, I lost control of the car, crashed into the wall, did a 180º and then gutter crashed on me.

Mush

vissione said:
R264raceresults.png

Niks didn't show up in my results... his car disappeared near the end of the stream or something.
Yeah, I was wondering who was missing. What happened to him anyway? He was running pretty high up until about halfway through.

Konosuke said:
I didn't rammed into gutter on purpose, I lost control of the car, crashed into the wall, did a 180º and then gutter crashed on me.

Yes but you were being lapped very early in the race and you just stayed in front of me swerving around not letting me past turn after turn. You should have pulled wide in the hair pin instead of fucking up the exit and taking me out. That is the narrowest part of the track you spun in.

MVP - Toxa
SoSS - AndroidSWE

We seriously need to consider turning off damage or at least turn on the penalties. It is quite clear that regardless of start type, we as a group cannot race in a large group without incident.

Angst

You did pass him just fine on lap 19 though Gutter? I slammed into him (not his fault, I should have waited to pass) and I had to drive the last two laps with damage. Before that you where maybe 3-4 seconds ahead of me. So I presume you made it past fine then as I was way behind after that incident.

Konosuke

TheSeks said:
MM: He isn't the only one with problems with Ace/Konosuke. Do parade lap, I try to stay behind Niks (IIRC) for 4th. Start to accelerate out of the last corner/gear up to 4-5th and... SLAM, suddenly spinning and carnage trying to prevent myself from hitting others (staying to the right is my goal on that in general) and... out of the race for the rest of the game because I have to pit for damage.

It's really stupid and annoying.
I was going to overtake you but I ran out of space between you and the wall and touched the wall.

I'm sorry for causing so many troubles today tho, penalize me to hell if you must.

I got pushed against the wall on the straight the lap following the parade lap. Was over from there really. I would have finished at the end if I didn't push so hard at lap 20. At the end of the day, I did it for MM. :)

Niks

Ufra sorry for the rage quit, but this was a joke.
Who didnt crash? Only Toxa? Pretty dissapointed in the league really... :/

Starting last seems like a good option, let everyone take each other out and then, drive around in 6th gear avoiding the wreckage.

Angst said:
You did pass him just fine on lap 19 though Gutter? I slammed into him (not his fault, I should have waited to pass) and I had to drive the last two laps with damage. Before that you where maybe 3-4 seconds ahead of me. So I presume you made it past fine then as I was way behind after that incident.

That was the third or maybe even fourth time I passed Ace. He let me by cleanly once. A back marker doesn't have to make drastic moves to let you by, but the first chance they have a place to let you past, they should. He did not two out of the three or four times. Not to reiterate, but lapping someone in the first few laps, in first place, with over a ten second lead and being taken out is just frustrating beyond words.

Mush

Juicy Bob and I had some of the cleanest racing I've seen all season. I'm so thankful you were able to end up joining. ;) Managed to nab 4th off me at the last corner of the last lap as well!

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
I got pushed against the wall on the straight the lap following the parade lap. Was over from there really. I would have finished at the end if I didn't push so hard at lap 20. At the end of the day, I did it for MM. :)

Ah so it was you who fucked my race up, so much build up and time wasted this race weekend.

TheSeks

MikeDub said:
We seriously need to consider turning off damage or at least turn on the penalties. It is quite clear that regardless of start type, we as a group cannot race in a large group without incident.

I ain't mad at Ace for slamming me, shit happens trying to overtake and no rearview/side view mirrors in cockpit makes it hard to gauge if someone is there unless you glance at the minimap but you're not sure which side their on. I am pissed that "parade lap start" was supposed to fix that problem, but it just prolonged the problem and caused slightly fewer causalities.

Niks said:
Ufra sorry for the rage quit, but this was a joke.

Ah, so you did leave. I saw I went from 11th to 10th and I'm like "wait, is that a disconnect or a quit?"

Ah so it was you who fucked my race up, so much build up and time wasted this race weekend.

Ineffect was a casualty of the parade lap kinda like I was. I get slammed, spin, try to correct/get out of the way and toward the right so the left most lane is open for long straight and I see Ace pass me with little/no damage. In replay mode, I see Ineffect hit a wall (not sure if it was caused by Ace or not) before I get hit/damaged. I wouldn't place blame on him, but I can't say. Shit happened fast and I'm like "WTF" at my screen.

That was great race regardless Gutterboy. 2nd place is nothing to sneeze at, I'm very impressed.

Metalmurphy said:
Also back markers don't have to make way. You have to overtake them like anyone else.

I don't agree with this at all. There is absolutely NO REASON when you are being lapped, to hold up somebody faster then you. It is not easy to safety pass people, and the risk of damaging someone else is not worth it.

Angst

I think it's a good idea for everyone to:

1. Set map to zoom level 4 so you can see where other cars are in relation to your car.
2. Drive in bumper view. I normally race in cockpit, but it obstructs the view too much when racing with a lot of other people.

weekend_warrior said:
I don't agree with this at all. There is absolutely NO REASON when you are being lapped, to hold up somebody faster then you. It is not easy to safety pass people, and the risk of damaging someone else is not worth it.
Your job as a racer is to do the best time possible. I will not mess up my driving line/time to let someone pass when it's actually his job to overtake me. We're not talking about different classes here, or a car that's going REALLY slow due to damage.

Also all my races, both here and in the NRL, were ruined by other people, I can certainly be disappointing, but no need to just flat out insult people.

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
Hey, 8th aint to bad. It's what I got on my last one lol. Gonna have to watch the replay closely to see what happened.

Angst

weekend_warrior said:
Depends on the situation IMO. I find that accidents very easily happens when people do things I don't expect them to do, like suddenly veering out of the drive line to let me by. If we had voice chat on or turn signals or whatever that would work, but as it is I have to guess where they'll be and if they do unexpected things (even if it is to let me by) that's when the accidents happen.

Thing to do if you want to let someone pass: ease off on the gas, slowly head out of the drive line well ahead of time and let the other guy pass. Don't brake suddenly or veer away.

Edit - I had a great time tonight! Kudos again Mush.

I was pretty angry when I had to start the race by entering the pits and was very close to rage quitting. Decided to stick around and try to catch up. Sort of counted on the inevitable - crashes. :p

Metalmurphy said:
Your job as a racer is to do the best time possible. I will not mess up my driving line/time to let someone pass when it's actually his job to overtake me. We're not talking about different classes here, or a car that's going REALLY slow due to damage.

Also all my races, both here and in the NRL, were ruined by other people, I can certainly be disappointing, but no need to just flat out insult people.

Hey, 8th aint to bad. It's what I got on my last one lol. Gonna have to watch the replay closely to see what happened.

They have blue flags. When you are being lapped, you are shown a blue flag. If you ignore more than three, you are blacked flagged and taken off the track. It is the back markers responsibility to get out of the way without drastic action as soon as the conditions allow. That is all. I gave Ace several chances, moreover, he was swerving and barely in control of his car.

I was a backmarker for all of GVS and not a single person had trouble getting by me, in fact, ppl mentioned that it was easy to get by. I still kept up my race and had some good fun even a lap down. No one was even near Ace as he was being lapped. No reason to drive like a dick.

Metalmurphy said:

I am with Gutterboy all the way, it's so annoying having other people mess up your race before it has even really started. At the end of the day the goal is to have fun, I have had plenty of races with 4-5 compitent drivers without incident and it's a blast.

First, congrats Toxa, well deserved! Now you can bitch less about the Lexus :)

It does have good tire wear and this makes a difference in the race.

Watched the whole race from Chimilosky´s point of view, and saw some strange things.

First, something was screwed up during qualify. People started out of position. Last race it worked, so i don´t know what caused that.

I don´t think there´s a need for a parade lap. People just need to calm down, and race properly. Chimilosky and Gutterboy had a nice exchange in the first lap, and things went well, if the camera angle is not tricking me.

Then Niks tries to overtake Chim at a crazy spot, in the left sweeper that leads to T2.

That is not a place to overtake, of course things went bad. He spun, and Chim got his car damaged. Gutter almost got in the mix of this crash, but escaped with the lead.

Then, a few laps later, as he was going to lap Sekoku, the guy just played hardball and gave him no room. Another crash, another pit.

Lapped cars need to be aware of the others. There isn´t a steward to wave blue flags, but you should enable the course map or something to see that someone is getting closer. Lapped cars should not be in the way of the others, specially because usually those cars had some damage and are a bit slower than the rest of the pack.

I saw Niks for the last time as he was trying to overtake Chim again, but he ended up crashing between T1 and T2 and i think he Ragequit after that.

To sum up, calm down folks, even if you are faster, there are only a few spots on the track avaliable for overtaking. Not every corner can be taken balls to the wall.

Mush, Docretes and Chim were neck to neck on the final laps and everything went fine.

MVP - Toxa
SOTS - Angst (i think? the guy who had to pit after the parade lap but kept his cool and finished well.

Ps: it sucks to watch. I want to race :(

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
I can tell you didn't watch the replay. I was no where near you for the entire race.

I ploughed into you on the first lap because you were stopped on the road, not your fault and I wasn't blaming you but it ruined my race.

I need to clarify that this "rage" mode is because we just got done with the race and I was fuming from the circumstances. This league has been a lot of fun and I thank everyone who has put the effort in to make it happen. But please, lets not ignore that we did establish rules, make up leader boards, montages, photo recaps and all of this other effort that signifies that this is way beyond, "just for the fun of it". If it really is just for kicks, delete the leader board and turn off damage.

Edit: OK I have to go to dinner. Good fun over all. Props to Toxa for holding it down the last half of the race. You held that 16 second lead well. Wish we could have had a proper battle, would have been epic.

Angst

seattle6418 said:
First, congrats Toxa, well deserved! Now you can bitch less about the Lexus :)

It does have good tire wear and this makes a difference in the race.

Watched the whole race from Chimilosky´s point of view, and saw some strange things.

First, something was screwed up during qualify. People started out of position. Last race it worked, so i don´t know what caused that.

I don´t think there´s a need for a parade lap. People just need to calm down, and race properly. Chimilosky and Gutterboy had a nice exchange in the first lap, and things went well, if the camera angle is not tricking me.

Then Niks tries to overtake Chim at a crazy spot, in the left sweeper that leads to T2.

That is not a place to overtake, of course things went bad. He spun, and Chim got his car damaged. Gutter almost got in the mix of this crash, but escaped with the lead.

Then, a few laps later, as he was going to lap Sekoku, the guy just played hardball and gave him no room. Another crash, another pit.

Lapped cars need to be aware of the others. There isn´t a steward to wave blue flags, but you should enable the course map or something to see that someone is getting closer. Lapped cars should not be in the way of the others, specially because usually those cars had some damage and are a bit slower than the rest of the pack.

I saw Niks for the last time as he was trying to overtake Chim again, but he ended up crashing between T1 and T2 and i think he Ragequit after that.

To sum up, calm down folks, even if you are faster, there are only a few spots on the track avaliable for overtaking. Not every corner can be taken balls to the wall.

Mush, Docretes and Chim were neck to neck on the final laps and everything went fine.

MVP - Toxa
SOTS - Angst (i think? the guy who had to pit after the parade lap but kept his cool and finished well.

Ps: it sucks to watch. I want to race :(
Yeah that was me :D Thanks for the vote! Didn't feel so cool in the pits though. Very close to quitting and going here to rage vent... :p

And to quote myself:
I had a great time tonight! Kudos again Mush.

MikeDub said:
I ploughed into you on the first lap because you were stopped on the road, not your fault and I wasn't blaming you but it ruined my race.
It's cool, just sucks since it looked like everything would start clean. I don't recall anyone running into me after the wall smash though.

gutterboy44 said:
They have blue flags. When you are being lapped, you are shown a blue flag. If you ignore more than three, you are blacked flagged and taken off the track. It is the back markers responsibility to get out of the way without drastic action as soon as the conditions allow. That is all. I gave Ace several chances, moreover, he was swerving and barely in control of his car.

I was a backmarker for all of GVS and not a single person had trouble getting by me, in fact, ppl mentioned that it was easy to get by. I still kept up my race and had some good fun even a lap down. No one was even near Ace as he was being lapped. No reason to drive like a dick.
This isn't F1. AFAIK Blue flag doesn't exist in most series, and in some of them they exist only as an "indication" with no actually action being required. Also, it's worth noting that in the real world lapping usually only happens when you have different classes. In this case all cars should be in the same speed range, so he shouldn't move aside and sacrifice his time.

But like I said, if he was intentionally blocking overtaking attempts then yeah... There's no excuse to that.

Gonna go watch the replay now.

TheSeks

seattle6418 said:
Then, a few laps later, as he was going to lap Sek, the guy just played hardball and gave him no room. Another crash, another pit.

Huh? I didn't notice anyone near me after that first lap unless I glanced at the minimap and tried to stay out of the way while racing hard to catch up (hah, fat chance of that) to at least not be dead last again. If I caused an accident, sorry, didn't notice.

Angst

One more thing before I go to bed:

If you have a slower car ahead of you there is basically only one safe place for overtaking. The long straight. If you try to get past in the S-curves leading up to the overpass it's going to get ugly. If you try to zoom past in the other s-curves under those trees it has a good chance of going badly.

Konosuke

If I didn't let get pass it's because I didn't see you. I let everyone else overtake me easily. Am I supposed to crash into a wall to let everyone overtake me asap? You make it sound like I had a mission to take you out.

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
It's cool, just sucks since it looked like everything would start clean. I don't recall anyone running into me after the wall smash though.

Check the replay, you were sort of a brick wall and didn't go anywhere so you probably didn't see it then didn't see me because I turned around and drove back down the straight to the pit entrance. (edit: ah, you saw it)

Again, I really think we need to turn damage off. A change of race start did nothing to sort out the issues we have been having, at best it just delayed it. There is clearly a wide range of skill level and that causes issues for people at both ends of the grid. I could have sworn I saw the guy in last place make about 4 pitstops, at best he was driving with damage. He isn't having any fun (as he voiced in text chat) and the people trying to pass him aren't either. On top of driver ability there is just the general lack of options available for people to adequetely asess their situation around them. I drive in roof cam view and it desperately needs a rear view mirror so I can see people without pressing a button (I shouldn't be forced to drive in bumper cam)

Let's turn damage off so people can just concentrate on enjoying the best part, racing.

Angst

Konosuke said:
If I didn't let get pass it's because I didn't see you. I let everyone else overtake me easily. Am I supposed to crash into a wall to let everyone overtake me asap? You make it sound like I had a mission to take you out.
If you're referring to me I never had any issue passing you. Well, until lap 19... but that was not your fault IMO. I should have kept my cool and passed you on the straight instead. Sorry for causing you any damage.

But if I may be blunt - why where you so slow? Did you have damage that you didn't fix? Of course we're not all equally fast, but if you did at least do some practice you shouldn't have people lapping you in the first few laps. I presume you did get damaged and just played on?

Couple of suggestions:

We need voice chat to tell things like "hey driver A, i´m coming, let me overtake you". We really need voice chat.

and

If you can, use the outside view.

I know it´s weird, but it´s the view i´ve always used, and it´s great to see your surroundings. Most people hate this noob view, but i think it´s great. I´ve had two incidents due to lag on the championship and nothing more. Zero problems overtaking cars. It´s an options if you like it... it does make it easier to pass cars.

TheSeks said:
Huh? I didn't notice anyone near me after that first lap unless I glanced at the minimap and tried to stay out of the way while racing hard to catch up (hah, fat chance of that) to at least not be dead last again. If I caused an accident, sorry, didn't notice.

It´s ok. Chim´s account is "under probation" or something, so it´s the reason why he isn´t posting here.

I´ve already talked to him.

I think we can figure out a way to have less incidents in the next race. I´m betting on voice chat to solve some of the issues.

Juicy Bob

MikeDub said:
Check the replay, you were sort of a brick wall and didn't go anywhere so you probably didn't see it then didn't see me because I turned around and drove back down the straight to the pit entrance. (edit: ah, you saw it)

Again, I really think we need to turn damage off. A change of race start did nothing to sort out the issues we have been having, at best it just delayed it. There is clearly a wide range of skill level and that causes issues for people at both ends of the grid. I could have sworn I saw the guy in last place make about 4 pitstops, at best he was driving with damage. He isn't having any fun (as he voiced in text chat) and the people trying to pass him aren't either. On top of driver ability there is just the general lack of options available for people to adequetely asess their situation around them. I drive in roof cam view and it desperately needs a rear view mirror so I can see people without pressing a button (I shouldn't be forced to drive in bumper cam)

Let's turn damage off so people can just concentrate on enjoying the best part, racing.
I agree. I had a fanatastic battle with Mush for the first half of the race and we avoided running into one another on a number of occasions. Had damage had been off, I wouldn't have driven any differently. I'm far too concerned about being responsible for a crash and pissing someone off to start driving more agressively just because I'll suffer no damage if I do make contact. I trust all of you guys and I'm sure you won't all start going crazy if we go damage-free from now on. So I'm voicing my support for turning it off.

Niks

MikeDub said:

Sadly I think you maybe right. Turning damage off maybe the solution. We tried, but the grid as a whole is not skilled enough too race with damage.

Angst

Keep damage on.

Voice chat on.

If we can:
Save the complaints until after the race.
Don't start chatting about having the wrong tyres.
Don't have babies/girlfriends/mother-in-laws/parrots in the same room.

Only communication should be things like - "go by on my left", "coming up behind you" etc.

If we can keep it to that I think it'll help us avoid most accidents. But if I have to listen to someone crying man tears for 21 laps I will go nuts. :p

TheSeks

My problem with damage is:

-Worrying about hitting other drivers/no 360 view in cockpit
-Taking corners at 50MPH and lightly tapping the wall = brake/suspension damage (WTF) car isn't driving right and your fucked for a lap (I had that happen 2-3 times taking a corner kinda aggressive trying to not be -5/-6 behind Gutter/leader today)
-First turn/parade lap start damage.

I don't mind it, but it does cause more problems than it's worth for a fun race league.

What are peoples thoughts on 'Light Damage'? Surely it's the best of both worlds, provides incentive to not crash and instantaneous punishment if you do but then lets you get back to business.

I hate the idea of taking damage off. Completely ruins the experience imo. I just think they're are too many people who don't come to the practices, show up on race on race day unprepared, and (intentional or not) ruin the race for people who do put in a lot of time.

Dibbz

Congrats Angst on the podium.

I just watched the first 10 or so laps of the replay. How did you end up getting so much damage on the parade lap though? I couldn't make much out. Glad you stuck it out though, got yourself and the team some very good points.

Sounds like the rest of the race went a bit crazy for others. I'm not sure how there was so much mayhem even with a rolling start though. Was there a lot of lag or something?

Top Bottom