• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Mush

Toxa said:
no pics about shortcut regulation ?
Those are coming up soon, don't worry. ;)

(in regular time, not "Mush" time)
ashk said:
Should only people racing on saturday vote? Because I'm not, and as such I don't really care about the weather :p But if I should, I'd vote for whatever my teammate prefers (dynamic).
I think it's best if we just leave it to the people actually racing this week because they'll be the ones actually dealing with the outcome, whether it be rain or shine.

ashk

Mush said:
I think it's best if we just leave it to the people actually racing this week because they'll be the ones actually dealing with the outcome, whether it be rain or shine.

I agree, but I saw both Angst and Dibbz having their votes counted so I thought I'd ask.

Toxa

ashk said:
I agree, but I saw both Angst and Dibbz having their votes counted so I thought I'd ask.

same for me I won't race saturday but I've spoke for L2ound so remove my vote and put L2ound instead

It seems it would be easiest to just allow for maximum chicane cutting so everyone is on the same page. Regulating the cutting is going to be nearly impossible. You will have to first watch every single players race, if they do cut it you then have to determine if they gained a competitive advantage. This is clear when nose to tail with another driver but on laps 3, 8 and 11 I cut the corner and eventually catch someone on lap 14, it becomes less and less clear.

I think we just have to accept that GT5 has once again forced us into a corner where we have to behave in a non realistic way to deal with a broken feature, in this case corner curtting.

I say just consider it a reprofiled corner and let people start practicing cutting it nw.

Mush

Alright, using some of the most advanced Photoshop and mathematical equation theory techniques known to man, I have constructed a comprehensive post of Variante Della Roggia (that's what the corner is actually called, don't know if it's because of the track marshal who died there in 2000 or whatever) chicane etiquette techniques.

z8yPil.jpg

BuxrUl.jpg

I decided to use the blue rectangle as my guideline for my formula. Because it's actually there to whole time so everyone can see it and stuff.

Gyh15l.jpg

MTxJpl.jpg

By using my car as a measuring stick, I was able to figure out roughly that the space between the actual track and the rectangle is about 2 Raybrig's (patent pending). This is also is about the size of the width of the track.

a32SNl.jpg

d1uAal.jpg

jF4shl.jpg

So, with that settled and stuff, I set about drawing up my blueprints. You won't believe how many Photoshop layers this took. The theory is, if x equals Raybrig (patent pending) and r equals rectangle, the sum becomes: r = x² or the amount of Raybrigs it takes to fill up the space of r. What that means to you is, that 2 individual cars can fit in the sum of r without any cutting occurring.

Let's have some practical examples shall we?

WleCSl.jpg

As you can see here, the sum of r is is only equal to 1 Raybrig (patent pending), leaving room for the sum to multiplied if need be.

64JAEl.jpg

From another angle. Again, note that the 1 Raybrig (patent pending) can be multiplied thus equalling the sum of r.

WyJlNl.jpg

This equation, while not as perfect as the formula r = x², can still be used as the number of Raybrigs (patent pending) as not exceeded the total sum of r.

QLATRl.jpg

However, this formula does not work. It does not work simply because the number of Raybrigs (patent pending) as exceeded the sum of r, and therefore the formula doesn't work, leading to cutting occurring.

Niks

Lets see if I got it right..
So we cannot touch the blue square? Or we can, but only with 2 tires?

What about the first chicane? and variante ascari? Can we cut those ones?

Angst

Niks said:
Lets see if I got it right..
So we cannot touch the blue square? Or we can, but only with 2 tires?

What about the first chicane? and variante ascari? Can we cut those ones?
Yeah those aren't as much of a problem as the first one requires you to slow down to a crawl anyway - the last chicane has sand outside the track - you can cut a bit, but if you cut too much the game will punish you.

Mush: will this be down to a honour system or will you meticulously monitor this and dish out penalties galore? If there will be penalties - what will they be? Have to sit shame-faced in a corner after the race or will there be time added?

I respect the work you put into it Mush, but maybe we should just go the gutterboy way - let's play the game and cut where possible? I fear this will be very hard to implement and I know I will be pissed if I do it the right way and I see the car behind me cutting like crazy. And you know they will say something like "I had to - I didn't brake enough / I had to - I would have bumped into the other car otherwise" etc :p

Niks

Angst said:
I know I will be pissed if I do it the right way and I see the car behind me cutting like crazy. And you know they will say something like "I had to - I didn't brake enough / I had to - I would have bumped into the other car otherwise" etc :p

Good point. I can definitively see this happening.

Drive how you know you are supposed to, cutting is cutting. Aren't we supposed to air grievances after the race anyway? I'd rather there be a review after the race than an accident caused by cutting since "we can't monitor it" and "well gt5 allows it" responses. By cutting I mean "golfham" style of cuts, i.e. full blue rectangle type of cutting.

It still seems like this is going to be very difficult to police. I think just opening the cutting flood gates is the best idea. It really doesn't effect anything other than lap times. Better to have everyone on the same page than worrying about the guy behind you's honesty.

After all, chicanes are nothing but safety measures for real life drivers, something we don't have to worry about.

MikeDub said:
Surely we can just ,you know, drive the course properly? If you cut the corner and overtake someone then you just give back the place?
There is a video of this on Laguna Seca with the corvette giving a place back to a porsche under this very situation.

Found it: L. Seca Ballte

Chimilosky still not posting (WTF is wrong with his account? i don´t know), then i´m just letting you guys know he told me he prefers the weather to be Sunny/Fixed

As for the chicanes... i don´t know how you guys are gonna control this. I know people are not suppose to cut, but i don´t know how this would be monitored.

My vote would have gone to rain, but since it appears that's the Independent Party of this election I'll pick Dynamic so my vote actually matters.

I'm with Gutterboy/Angst about corner cutting. It would nice if people made in attempt to stay close to the track, but we can't monitor it, and it's not fair to ask people to compromise their lap times if theres no guarantee that everyone is doing the same.

We could try setting the penalty to 'low', that might be the only way to penalize people for trying to cut.

Niks

beetween cutting chicanes and rain, I predict alot of raging during and after the race.
:/

All I know is that if on the race, the car behind cuts a chicane Ill be doing it the next lap... unless Mush guarantees penalties.

edit:
weekend_warrior said:
We could try setting the penalty to 'low', that might be the only way to penalize people for trying to cut.

That works? If so thats the solution.

Angst

Penalty on Low doesn't work unfortunately IMO.

1. Doesn't hinder people from cutting in chicane 2 as far as I know.
2. Makes cars transparent when doing weird stuff to prevent crashes. Sounds nice, but there's zero indication of when cars will be transparent. Totally negates the heavy damage as well.
3. If we have penalties on low the cars that get bumped off track and enters the track further down the road (no matter how little further down the road) will get a penalty for a seemingly random number of seconds.

Lets just try running with mush's rules. If anyone is caught cheating make them lose their points for the race. And by "cheating" I don't mean any car that goes outside the chicane. Only penalize those that does it consistently and when no cars are near. When three cars go side by side into the chicane it might be either crash or cut.

UFRA

I'm not racing on Monza, but my 2 cents would be in support of Gutterboy's idea to just let anything go as far as corner cutting goes.

It's the solution that causes the least amount of headaches and is the least complex, and no one can be put at a disadvantage. Whereas with the cutting rules, those who are honest about it could get ripped off by those who "cheat".

I don't think anyone here has time to watch the entire race from each car's perspective, because that's what it would take to give a fair analysis of whether anyone "cheated" or not. How else would you know about what those cars are doing out on their own with no one around?

brentech

UFRA said:
I'm not racing on Monza, but my 2 cents would be in support of Gutterboy's idea to just let anything go as far as corner cutting goes.

It's the solution that causes the least amount of headaches and is the least complex, and no one can be put at a disadvantage. Whereas with the cutting rules, those who are honest about it could get ripped off by those who "cheat".

I don't think anyone here has time to watch the entire race from each car's perspective, because that's what it would take to give a fair analysis of whether anyone "cheated" or not. How else would you know about what those cars are doing out on their own with no one around?
Should be racing, and agreed.

Mush

I don't know why it's so hard to actually take the corner as is. If you:

1. Take the corner without actually slowing down.
2. Gain a position from cutting across the corner.

Then that's an issue. In the case of no.2, if you gain a position via cutting the turn, you are required to give it back when it is possible.

I think you all know when too much cutting is, well, too much. I shouldn't have to tell you that.

brentech

Mush said:

Then that's an issue. In the case of no.2, if you gain a position via cutting the turn, you are required to give it back when it is possible.

I think you all know when too much cutting is, well, too much. I shouldn't have to tell you that.
While I agree in principle; in practice, I see could see people entering a chicane too fast and forced to cut large corners. So not necessarily on purpose, but due to necessity for the way people often drive.

Polyphony

Hey guys, does any team need a sub or replacement? I race a decent amount online in Super GT lobbies, always trying to have a fun and clean race :). Let me know!

Mush

Polyphony said:
Hey guys, does any team need a sub or replacement? I race a decent amount online in Super GT lobbies, always trying to have a fun and clean race :). Let me know!
HOLY SHIT, THE GREAT KAZUNORI YAMAUCHI HAS GRACED US WITH HIS PRESENCE!

:BOW :BOW

Mush

Polyphony said:
Maybe my first post should have been... konnichiwa ;).
Well, since you're so keen, you can race this weekend if you can make it. Just take one of the inactive Lexus' (either the Denso Sard or the Petronas SC430, preferably the Petronas) and yeah, race and stuff. Cheers for your enthusiasm! We are possibly doing a Season 2, so it'd be great if you could stick around for that. :)

Toxa

Polyphony said:

be my guest

Niks said:
So still no definitive ruling on weather and chicane cutting?
Mush said:

l2ounD

hmm, well whats going to be the penalty for cutting and what happens if someone overtakes and doesnt give the position back?

Juicy Bob

weekend_warrior said:
And thats fine, but like Niks said, the first time I see someone cutting a corner I'll be doing the same next lap.
And if I see someone doing it, I'll just keep taking the chicane the way I'm supposed to.

Seriously though, fix this shit, PD.

Polyphony

Arg, my DFGT just fried, literally :(. I can sense a faint burning smell, and when I plug it in, the logo doesn't light up anymore and the wheel turns completely to the left.

I'll try to make it to practices, but I'm out as far as races are concerned.

Konosuke

Polyphony said:
Arg, my DFGT just fried, literally :(. I can sense a faint burning smell, and when I plug it in, the logo doesn't light up anymore and the wheel turns completely to the left.

I'll try to make it to practices, but I'm out as far as races are concerned.
I'm sorry for that. How old is your DFGT? I was planning to get one for season2, but now I'm scared.

Mush

Voting is now closed! (well, it actually closed a while ago, but whatevs)

Results:

Sunny (fixed) - 4 votes total

Rain (fixed) - 0 votes

Sun/Rain (dynamic) - 6 votes total

Winner - Dynamic weather

Thanks for your votes everyone, we will using Dynamic weather for Monza.

Polyphony

Konosuke said:
I'm sorry for that. How old is your DFGT? I was planning to get one for season2, but now I'm scared.

I got a refurbished one from Ebay for very cheap, so that might be why haha. There aren't too many topics about this issue online, so it might be a relatively isolated occurrence. Someone successfully fixed it themselves by replacing 2 or 3 transistors.

As for the wheel, I still recommend it. I clocked around 100 hours on the thing before this happened (on a refurbished model). Besides, if you buy one from Logitech, it probably comes with an extensive guarantee.

Mush

weekend_warrior said:
What about the other corner? ;D
Short-cutting on the 1st corner isn't quite as rampant as it is on the 2nd chicane. Plus it's a lot slower and tighter so it kinda makes it irrelevant.

Top Bottom