• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Ok, riddle me this, why the fuck is going up hill reduce the traction on my back tires? Doing a race on Matterhorn or Eiger in a FR or MR car is impossible.

It's because a portion of the weight of the car is pushing you down the slope and not directly into the track, so there's less force pushing the tires to the road. Friction force is equal to mu times the normal force blah blah blah.

Dead Man

Not just you. The tire model in this game is sensational, completely eclipses the older game. Sports tires now genuinely feel like proper tires that can hold a car with over 500HP and not feel like worn out rubber bands.

Okay, that might get me to bite. The ridiculously low grip levels on the sport tyres drove me mad when you were using a car with some actual power. If they were accurate in 5, my car should be almost undriveable on the road with it's utterly normal road tyres, but it's a pussycat.

It's because a portion of the weight of the car is pushing you down the slope and not directly into the track, so there's less force pushing the tires to the road. Friction force is equal to mu times the normal force blah blah blah.

I suppose that makes sense.

Still, my car was sliding like a mother fucker while other (more powerful FR cars) were going up with amazing traction. Of course, it's the AI though...

Okay, that might get me to bite. The ridiculously low grip levels on the sport tyres drove me mad when you were using a car with some actual power. If they were accurate in 5, my car should be almost undriveable on the road with it's utterly normal road tyres, but it's a pussycat.

Well you do junk in game that you never do in real life. Whatever car you have I dare you to get it to the limits of the tires going around a turn and then mash the gas.

It's easy to forget that you're going 10/10 all the time playing GT. Very few people have done that on a track, and forget about it out on the streets.

Dead Man

Well you do junk in game that you never do in real life. Whatever car you have I dare you to get it to the limits of the tires going around a turn and then mash the gas.

It's easy to forget that you're going 10/10 all the time playing GT. Very few people have done that on a track, and forget about it out on the streets.

Done it. But I'm also talking about accelerating at all while going around a corner, the controls in the game are analogue, not digital. Or the way a car that is taking off from the line gets traction back and how that feels, or the way the comfort tyres which are supposed to represent factory tyres are nothing like the bog normal tyres I have on my car.

I also think part of the problem is that PD seem to model old fashioned tyres only on older cars, cross plys and what not. That is the only way I can account for how the muscle cars handle. I have modern radial tyres on my old Mustang, and it is fantastic to drive. The engine isn't a race engine or anything, but it's about 450hp, and I can accelerate with confidence on narrow corners driving up through the hills around where where I live, full throttle after a bit of easing on. I never managed to do that with the cars in GT5.

That last bit is my supposition, I have no evidence one way or the other, it's just how it feels to me when playing.

I'm not talking about the 10 tenths only, but even when driving slowly it seems off to me in 5.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do you guys play in 720p or 1080p? I switched between 720p and 1080p today and 720p is definitely smoother but it is so ugly compared to 1080p. :\ I think I'll bite the bullet and go with the higher res. Come on, PS4...save us.

Jedi2016

I suppose that makes sense.

Still, my car was sliding like a mother fucker while other (more powerful FR cars) were going up with amazing traction. Of course, it's the AI though...
The AI has magical tire glue that keeps them from spinning. Even intentionally trying to spin them is like pushing against a semi truck, but if they give you just one little tap, you're in the ditch. Traction programming between AI and player cars is definitely not the same.

benzy

Do you guys play in 720p or 1080p? I switched between 720p and 1080p today and 720p is definitely smoother but it is so ugly compared to 1080p. :\ I think I'll bite the bullet and go with the higher res. Come on, PS4...save us.

I keep it at 1080p. The tree dithering is a huge issue at 720p for me and it's much improved at 1080p.

The AI has magical tire glue that keeps them from spinning. Even intentionally trying to spin them is like pushing against a semi truck, but if they give you just one little tap, you're in the ditch. Traction programming between AI and player cars is definitely not the same.

That's not fair...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Custom rims maybe?

Wow, I never knew rims had an active effect on handling or anything gameplay-related. Always thought it was just a cosmetic thing. Was it that way in GT5 as well? Mind-blown if so.

Btw, could some kind soul explain to me how should I approach rims when choosing tires or applying upgrades to a car then? I have no idea.

Is the new Aston Martin Vanquish in this game?

No.

benzy

I hate the nascar races because of this. The AI is so stupid they always just keep pushing against your ass and you end up spinning out, even when they have a huge room to make a passing.

PD, you trying to give me a heart attack? 2 laps of the Nurburgring GP in an LMP racer with this bastard AI tailgating me the whole time. Glad that gold is out of the way.

Is the new Aston Martin Vanquish in this game?

No, I'm guessing the One-77 took priority.

IIRC, the V12 Vantage came as DLC for GT5, so we could see more Astons in the future. I want the DB5, V12 Vantage S, Vanquish and DBR9. I don't expect all of those though, lol.

OmegaDL50

Man the 200% Login bonus is amazing.

20 minutes worth of driving doing three seasonals and I'm 6 million richer.

Glorious!

Now I'm on to tackle the Sebastian Vettel Kart championship. This should be fun.

Ding-Ding

Do you guys play in 720p or 1080p? I switched between 720p and 1080p today and 720p is definitely smoother but it is so ugly compared to 1080p. : I think I'll bite the bullet and go with the higher res. Come on, PS4...save us.

720p as framerate was just too jarring for me.

The other setting though are just as important for me. Limited RGB dulls the colours to more realistic levels. Super White off seems to help jaggies (this maybe a placebo). Then in game I turn the exposure down just enough to get rid of glare.

Raced Ascari in cocpit view, narrow setting and suddenly the game just went to another level. It really was frighteningly realistic in both graphics and feel.

RedAssedApe

Banned
GT6 Concept Movie #6 "Start your Engines

liked the trailer when i first watched it but fuck...i keep getting this as the AD for gametrailers.com videos and its like 3 minutes long each time -_-

TTG

Man the 200% Login bonus is amazing.

Yep, well worth the wait. Now I can do the S class races with a new car for every race and still have credits left over.

I'm a little bummed the Mario Andretti time trial leaves srf available as an option though. I'm sure it distorts the times by quite a bit as usual.

Yep, well worth the wait. Now I can do the S class races with a new car for every race and still have credits left over.

I'm a little bummed the Mario Andretti time trial leaves srf available as an option though. I'm sure it distorts the times by quite a bit as usual.

Does SRF improve lap times? In an oversteery car I can understand, but otherwise how are the physics affected?

Bond007

Long Time GT fan here.
Honest question. I picked up Forza for my X1 and Rivals for PS4. Being a huge fan of GT would you guys consider this a must pickup despite having two other racers?

Really love the series just not sure its worth having so many racers. Guess i wish it woulda been a PS4 game.

TTG

Does SRF improve lap times? In an oversteery car I can understand, but otherwise how are the physics affected?

In GT5 it improved every car, by a lot. I distinctly remember struggling with a front wheel drive Ford Focus(if memory serves) on a city circuit seasonal. When I finished I decided to try with skid recovery on, instant 2.5 second advantage. Cures understeer the same way it would oversteer and it micromanages traction so closely that its advantage really is on almost every turn, not just when things are obviously out of shape.

I understand the reasoning, people that have every nanny option on would howl and moan all day, doesn't matter if the prize car is given away with the bronze trophy or whatever. Polyphony are very sensitive to that, it's why GT5 finally changed seasonal events(not all) to the same set up as license tests, no option to disable it. It's one of those "be careful what you ask for" deals, we wish they listened to the criticism and then they knee jerk to the casual... Having the option, that's a step in the right direction anyway. Next step is treating the time trials like the Academy stuff.

Y2Kev

Long Time GT fan here.
Honest question. I picked up Forza for my X1 and Rivals for PS4. Being a huge fan of GT would you guys consider this a must pickup despite having two other racers?

Really love the series just not sure its worth having so many racers. Guess i wish it woulda been a PS4 game.

I'm hardly an expert but I played Forza for like a couple of hours and I kinda got bored of the tracks already. They start repeating very soon. It is a beautiful game though and it runs really nicely.

I hate NFS. I got it cause I wanted an arcadey racer and I should have waited for driveclub. Fuck EA's connected garbage. Why can't I just pick a goddamn race and have it go there and let me race. And then boat controls. And everything is all dramatic OMG fuck it.

GT6 I have to say is obviously the ugliest and the worst performing (well, compared to Forza) but it does have a sheer mountain of content. The career mode is better structured with more diversions and more fun things to do. And #thereviewsarereal, the driving model really does genuinely feel like a huge step up over 5.

The question is...now I want a wheel but don't know if I should wait for PS4 wheels to come out with GT7.

emiliano

In GT5 it improved every car, by a lot. I distinctly remember struggling with a front wheel drive Ford Focus(if memory serves) on a city circuit seasonal. When I finished I decided to try with skid recovery on, instant 2.5 second advantage. Cures understeer the same way it would oversteer and it micromanages traction so closely that its advantage really is on almost every turn, not just when things are obviously out of shape.

I understand the reasoning, people that have every nanny option on would howl and moan all day, doesn't matter if the prize car is given away with the bronze trophy or whatever. Polyphony are very sensitive to that, it's why GT5 finally changed seasonal events(not all) to the same set up as license tests, no option to disable it. It's one of those "be careful what you ask for" deals, we wish they listened to the criticism and then they knee jerk to the casual... Having the option, that's a step in the right direction anyway. Next step is treating the time trials like the Academy stuff.
I really don't see the point of SRF, seems like cheating to me. Why allow to use a boost like that without any negative side effect? On the BMW M4 seasonal event, I was not able to put a time better than silver (2:20) without using any aid as usual, but setting SRF ON suddenly turns out that I'm capable of manage a time (2:16.8) faster than gold in the same session.

Mr E.

You can buy a PS3/PS4 compatible wheel... so you can use it now on PS3 and after on PS4.
I thought Sony was going to leave this up to the developers to choose. They won't officially support previous wheels but they won't lock them out either. Rather it will come down to the developers to implement them into the games.

Or that's what I gathered from what I've read.
Sounds very convoluted but make of it what you will.

If I'm wrong on this then I'm sorry but that's my understanding.

I see. I always assumed it just stopped you from spinning with an otherwise negative impact on performance.

Also, I hope we get this sooner rather than later.

image.jpg

spwolf

I thought Sony was going to leave this up to the developers to choose. They won't officially support previous wheels but they won't lock them out either. Rather it will come down to the developers to implement them into the games.

Or that's what I gathered from what I've read.
Sounds very convoluted but make of it what you will.

If I'm wrong on this then I'm sorry but that's my understanding.

it is up to the devs yes, problem is that Logitech does not sell wheels anymore... and most people had G25 or G27.

Niks

Can the anniversary lap seasonal be golded with any other car than the audi quattro? I have tried with the gt cars detuned to 550pp but I dont come even close.

Can the anniversary lap seasonal be golded with any other car than the audi quattro? I have tried with the gt cars detuned to 550pp but I dont come even close.
You can use R18 anniversary and limit the power to cca.50% and adjust the gear ratios.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I dropped 2 million on the '07 Ferrari FXX to use in the final iB championship race.

Boy, that car is hot fucking garbage. Impossible to get it round a corner at speed and not spin the fuck out.

Compared to the glorious king of handling that is the 458 Italia, that's rather disappointing.
Fortunately I didn't go broke so it's all good.

Logitech said they would stop making console peripherals by the end of the year. They didn't explicitly mention steering wheels, though, and I suppose it's possible they see wheels as being PC peripherals, not console ones. Their standard support reply when asked about PS4 drivers is essentially "we're not sure yet."

The only wheel confirmed to work with PS3 and PS4, I think, is the Thrustmaster T500RS, but that's only because Evolution has said Driveclub will support the wheel. Thrustmaster has said that support must be built in on a game-by-game basis, and that the wheel will be unresponsive in the PS4 OS itself. People have already tried plugging the T500RS into their PS4s with limited success.

There's a GAF thread about next-gen wheel support that gets updated whenever there's any news, which is sporadic so far for PS4 but might pick up when Driveclub gets released.

Y2Kev

My random thoughts:

1. Ghost driving lines should show their breaking pattern.

2. why does the driving line often turn red like all of a sudden? seems like cheating.

microtubule

I had a moment of weakness today and bought this. I'm glad I did. The handling difference between this and GT5 feels absolutely massive. Is it just me? I feel like it is WAY easier to tell when you are close to the edge in terms of when you are pushing tires too far.

Yeah, it's much better than GT5! I have not noticed any of the odd quirks I sometimes encountered in 5 here in 6. Also, I can rotate between FM4 and GT6 and even Assetto Corsa without issue unlike before where it was jarring going back to GT5's driving model.

And agree about the Christmas music. Just heard a couple of the pieces last night, nice surprise indeed.

Lord......the AI in this game are ruthless. :p

I can't remember which International A event I was doing, but it was at Apricot Hill against LMS's and stuff. I spun out a couple times, but worked my way up to first with an Audi R8 LMS right behind me. Heading in to the final chicane type turn near the finish, the Audi comes up and performs a "pit maneuver" on the back left side of my car and spins me out. This was the most extreme AI move I've had, though plenty of random AI just ramming my car on a straight away for no damn reason.

Anyways, I just find it funny. PD made the AI in GT5 way too easy, and went complete reverse in GT6 and made them complete jerks.

Y2Kev

I don't understand what you mean...

I could be driving along and it's red, so I brake...and then in a few feet it will instantly turn red again. Like where before it was previously blue. It's almost as if there is a binary line you cross where you are going "too fast" or "just right."

It turns red when you should be braking.

Not mine line, everyone else's line. The driving line is obviously super conservative.

I dropped 2 million on the '07 Ferrari FXX to use in the final iB championship race.

Boy, that car is hot fucking garbage. Impossible to get it round a corner at speed and not spin the fuck out.

Compared to the glorious king of handling that is the 458 Italia, that's rather disappointing.
Fortunately I didn't go broke so it's all good.

Any assists? The real life FXX has plenty of computers to keep it straight. Problem with GT's ASM simulation is it is too aggressive and really slows down the car in the corners.

I did the iB championship with a slightly tuned Viper ACR. It's an amazing car with crazy levels of grip, though the stock gear setup is awkward (you cannot achieve 6th gear). The Viper sounds naughty with racing exhaust :p.

Neo 007

With Logitechs news of previous poor sales it's only distant hope they would develop a true successor to the G25-27.
I have no doubt it would be an interesting and great wheel.
Sadly it dosen't look likely at this stage.

Korezo

I never used srf, but the other day I was doing the seasonal trials and my times were almost 10 seconds behind the #1 guy in leaderboards. So I started checking all top ranked leaderboards drivers and they all used srf. So I decided to try it and instantly shaved off like 6 seconds in my time, makes you have to brake less and let's you push the car more.

You can buy a PS3/PS4 compatible wheel... so you can use it now on PS3 and after on PS4.

That's news to me. So far I think only that expensive ass Thrustmaster is working, the T500. And that's because DC supports it. I'm waiting on more specifics on the Driveclub wheel to make a purchase. I've always played GT with a controller but I feel like I'm missing out on so much. I also don't want to make a purchase on a wheel if it's not going to work.

I could be driving along and it's red, so I brake...and then in a few feet it will instantly turn red again. Like where before it was previously blue. It's almost as if there is a binary line you cross where you are going "too fast" or "just right."

Not mine line, everyone else's line. The driving line is obviously super conservative.
I'm no pro at racing but I still turn off the line completely. When it's on, I try to follow it, usually to limited success. I end up hurting my time as a result. I guess it's good to know the suggested lines though. But the braking/acceleration patterns are suuuper conservative. I find myself braking much later than a lot of their suggested lines. Best thing to do is to just get used to the tracks and know your car and feel out the turns.

OmegaDL50

Yes this seems to be the case, basically when I use the driving line, and see a red line, to me that doesn't mean break that very second, but break a second later,

Also the breaking line isn't car specific (which I think it should be because some cars slow down and stop faster then other cars, never mind factoring improved suspension and brakes via tuning which improves breaking even further)

To those that master a track generally it's not needed, but it's a useful tool if you just want to get a quick guideline of best path to take through the course and optimal apex through each turn, but it's pointless if it wants me to stop sooner then I should.

MRORANGE

Can I see someone's car settings for the Lamborghini Aventador?

I've made so many changes to the car and it still over-steers and spins like crazy.

Top Bottom