• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yes this seems to be the case, basically when I use the driving line, and see a red line, to me that doesn't mean break that very second, but break a second later,

Also the breaking line isn't car specific (which I think it should be because some cars slow down and stop faster then other cars, never mind factoring improved suspension and brakes via tuning which improves breaking even further)

To those that master a track generally it's not needed, but it's a useful tool if you just want to get a quick guideline of best path to take through the course and optimal apex through each turn, but it's pointless if it wants me to stop sooner then I should.

But when I turn it off I get so nervous :x

amar212

But when I turn it off I get so nervous :x

Noone should EVER use a driving line. Quit using it.

I propose you a game of Gran Turismo. It will give you another perspective for your play in the long term.

Pick your favorite car. One you like the handling, the sound, the feel and confidence it provides you. Now forget all other modes of the game but Arcade > Time Trial. Go there.

Imagine GT offers you nothing before you master all tracks. ALL TRACKS. Like rest of the game does not exist. And there is no racing line. No red zones. Nothing. Just sit in you car and start lapping. Alone. Against yourself and your ghost. Lap by lap. From disconfidence into confidence. Step out of your comfort zone bounded by boundaries of line.

Driving line is the plague of the genre. It should be avoided at all cost. When you get use on driving line, you are not driving with the brain. You don't use mind. You are not a driver, you are a zombie. Because you don't drive. You are following a line.

Don't be a zombie. Drive and live.

And remember that you can't live...

...if you're already dead.

50m for two minutes racing

granturismo6_44y7suw.jpg

hopefully this is just the start for gt6 modding, i want the debug menu banderas.gif

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
It's because a portion of the weight of the car is pushing you down the slope and not directly into the track, so there's less force pushing the tires to the road. Friction force is equal to mu times the normal force blah blah blah.

Unless the weight distribution is greater than 100-0 both front and rear should get an increase in traction.

Not just you. The tire model in this game is sensational, completely eclipses the older game. Sports tires now genuinely feel like proper tires that can hold a car with over 500HP and not feel like worn out rubber bands.

Uh, it's virtually identical to GT5 actually. The same terrible grip multiplying extremely basic model. The main difference is they increased grip across the board.

Do you guys play in 720p or 1080p? I switched between 720p and 1080p today and 720p is definitely smoother but it is so ugly compared to 1080p. :\ I think I'll bite the bullet and go with the higher res. Come on, PS4...save us.

1080p and the frame rate is constantly chugging. Won't be switching to 720 just to make the game play at an acceptable frame rate only to have to change it back every time I watch a movie or something (which is more common than playing GT6 actually).

On another note, has Digital Foundry tested GT6 (not the demo) yet?

Wow, I never knew rims had an active effect on handling or anything gameplay-related. Always thought it was just a cosmetic thing. Was it that way in GT5 as well? Mind-blown if so.

What you're referring to is unsprung weight being simulated and there is no evidence that it is.

My random thoughts:

1. Ghost driving lines should show their breaking pattern.

2. why does the driving line often turn red like all of a sudden? seems like cheating.

Not sure about 1. but 2. is the way it shows braking for what it thinks are dual apex corners or complexes.

It doesn't seem to be able to show a braking line for 2 corners at once so as you go through the first section of a corner that tightens towards the end, you get passed the first "section" so to speak and then the game shows the braking line for the next section.

I propose you a game of Gran Turismo. It will give you another perspective for your play in the long term.

Pick your favorite car. One you like the handling, the sound, the feel and confidence it provides you. Now forget all other modes of the game but Arcade > Time Trial. Go there.

Imagine GT offers you nothing before you master all tracks. ALL TRACKS. Like rest of the game does not exist. And there is no racing line. No red zones. Nothing. Just sit in you car and start lapping. Alone. Against yourself and your ghost. Lap by lap. From disconfidence into confidence. Step out of your comfort zone bounded by boundaries of line.

Driving line is the plague of the genre. It should be avoided at all cost. When you get use on driving line, you are not driving with the brain. You don't use mind. You are not a driver, you are a zombie. Because you don't drive. You are following a line.

Word.

Your post summarises why I loved GT PSP. (It had a driving line too, but I mean in terms of offering very little outside of a bunch of tracks and bunch of cars - I had to make up my own fun/objectives).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Didn't one of the games have a suggested speed at which you should hit each turn? I think it was GT5P....I kinda liked that. You don't need to tell me when to brake or where to turn but suggested speed was nice.

I also need to learn how to drive manual. My issue is that I have never driven a MT car in real life and I just don't even understand the theory behind it.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Didn't one of the games have a suggested speed at which you should hit each turn? I think it was GT5P....I kinda liked that. You don't need to tell me when to brake or where to turn but suggested speed was nice.

I also need to learn how to drive manual. My issue is that I have never driven a MT car in real life and I just don't even understand the theory behind it.

Rev it until the valves stand dancing on the bonnet, change to the next gear. Simple.

Dead Man

Most of the games have had a suggested gear indicator, is it not there in 6?

hirokazu

There's is a little icon that gives you a suggested gear to be in for the next corner and it starts blinking when it thinks you should begin breaking or shifting into that gear. At least that's how I read that icon, I could be completely wrong about what it's for.

TTG

I still use it on tracks I don't care to learn, I'm looking at you Cape Ring. For those who always have it on though, here's something to keep in mind:

The line itself is optimal in maybe 8 out of 10 corners and the spots where it isn't, it's close. The braking zones on the other hand are in line with Polyphony's quest to child proof the game. You will absolutely be braking too early, braking where only letting off full throttle is required and braking in corners where you can make it under full power. In other words, you're slower when using the line.

Don't believe me? Check out Mario Andretti's seasonal. I turned the line on because the "streets of Willow Springs" wasn't something I was familiar with. Before/at the third to last corner the line will show a braking zone. Actually, it can not only be taken under full power, but be used as a respite to check your lap time and whatever else the same way you would on a back straight, it requires that little input.

Turning the line off will be a little jarring because you will no longer have that clear marker on when you should brake for those turns that require a big braking zone(think first turn in Nurburgring GP or Spa or Monza) so it will take a moment to test out where that optimal point is and look to the sides of the track where there will be marking(more often than not). It's ok though, you don't need the training wheels, especially when you actively work against you a lot of the time.

This is great advice.

The driving line goes out the window once you're blocked by AI or other drivers anyway. You just have to learn the qualities of each track's turns and how well your car can handle them at speed.

Edit: A random aside, but I think these Goodwood hill climb events have taught me more about handling turns and the game's driving model than any other event or license test ever has. Each car really has its own unique way of getting gold in this event and its been crazy instructive to discover that anew each time. For such a short stretch of track its got a lot to offer.

Epic praise deserved!

To be fair to those who have it on I'd argue that modern racing games have sort of brought this upon themselves-- A single game can offer so many different cars and car types with so many racing disciplines and an insane number of tracks that it is very difficult for anyone but a very dedicated player to remember braking points and driving lines on every single circuit. GT6 with an even more bonkers selection of tracks available than 5 is a whole lot of visualization you need to remember.

That said, I think GT's "solution" to braking points and other speed-related issues with the suggested gear offered is a fantastic middle ground between going in totally blind and babying yourself with the driving line. I've been playing since GT3 and refuse to use driving line but am only now in 6 starting to keep SRF off 100% of the time. That's pretty hardcore by standards of a console game but even now I can't wean myself off of the red pop-up gear suggest unless I'm in a car I've already spent many hours in.

I'm also a bit of a hypocrite and will confess I use the braking zone driving line markers in the F1 game series often, and always in the rain. Even if I could drive a track blindfolded in the dry (and that's 20 very challenging and epic GP circuits), until game tech is, eh, maybe in the 4k/120 area and I have a huge screen in front of me I'll never catch that kind of low-visibility track detail quickly enough.

That all said, I agree with the self-training ghost method. Pick a track you really like that you have fun driving. A car in the 500PP area. GT300 cars are perfect. I suggest Suzuka or Spa since they're of the "easy to learn, impossible to master" variety.

I still use it on tracks I don't care to learn, I'm looking at you Cape Ring.

Check out Mario Andretti's seasonal. I turned the line on because the "streets of Willow Springs" wasn't something I was familiar with. Before/at the third to last corner the line will show a braking zone. Actually, it can not only be taken under full power, but be used as a respite to check your lap time and whatever else the same way you would on a back straight, it requires that little input.
Cape Ring is a perfect example of driving lines gone wrong and there are several sections you can do a few gears higher than the game wants to baby you through. Love the track to death with a few truly awesome turns. The Andretti seasonal, too! Turned on the line for my first run and glad I'm not the only one that found it very odd. Down the back straight with the left kink and the wide left at the end of it I have no idea what the game is thinking. It's a good 2-3 seconds lost. Made the karting races on that circuit a lot easier knowing the AI would stop dead in its tracks there, though!

Dead Man

I still use it on tracks I don't care to learn, I'm looking at you Cape Ring. For those who always have it on though, here's something to keep in mind:

The line itself is optimal in maybe 8 out of 10 corners and the spots where it isn't, it's close. The braking zones on the other hand are in line with Polyphony's quest to child proof the game. You will absolutely be braking too early, braking where only letting off full throttle is required and braking in corners where you can make it under full power. In other words, you're slower when using the line.

Don't believe me? Check out Mario Andretti's seasonal. I turned the line on because the "streets of Willow Springs" wasn't something I was familiar with. Before/at the third to last corner the line will show a braking zone. Actually, it can not only be taken under full power, but be used as a respite to check your lap time and whatever else the same way you would on a back straight, it requires that little input.

Turning the line off will be a little jarring because you will no longer have that clear marker on when you should brake for those turns that require a big braking zone(think first turn in Nurburgring GP or Spa or Monza) so it will take a moment to test out where that optimal point is and look to the sides of the track where there will be marking(more often than not). It's ok though, you don't need the training wheels, especially when you actively work against you a lot of the time.

Cape Ring may be ugly, but get it right and it is an amazing track for driving (stupid jump of doom aside)

nasanu

Banned
Unless the weight distribution is greater than 100-0 both front and rear should get an increase in traction.

Uh, it's virtually identical to GT5 actually. The same terrible grip multiplying extremely basic model. The main difference is they increased grip across the board.

I see you deliberately miss my quote because it does not fit with your opinion. Just try pushing a car up a steep hill. That is what the rear tyres have to do. The increase in traction is not anywhere near the increase in inertia. How that is not instantly obvious to everyone is beyond me. And front AND rear getting an increase?.. OMG how do you possibly think that works? Cars get fatter on hills?

As for the tyres, do you have any evidence of this at all (apart from your personal observations because frankly, you don't even know a car is harder to move on a hill..)?

OmegaDL50

Can I see someone's car settings for the Lamborghini Aventador?

I've made so many changes to the car and it still over-steers and spins like crazy.

Go to the settings for the car, and check out the 2nd or 3rd settings tab.

All cars in the game have three settings, A, B, and C. If you messed up A's settings, just look at B or C (if you haven't changed them) and those should be stock.

I use the line in online championships or racing leagues. I use it because I find it quite usefull when battling multiple players at the same time.

I don't follow it all the time, though. To be competitive in these leagues, I still have to learn the track the best I can including the "real" braking point, and I practice a lot before the races. The line is there only for a quick reference.

But I do agree that people should not rely solely on the line and should spend some time learning the track.

TTG

Cape Ring may be ugly, but get it right and it is an amazing track for driving (stupid jump of doom aside)

You may be right, but there are a number of factors conspiring against it. It's long and without distinct geographical elements. Think about how much easier Spa is to remember for example versus Ascari, same thing. It's not seen a lot in career mode. It doesn't have the reputation of a real GP circuit. It doesn't have a lot of flow to it, vague I know, but Suzuka is easy to remember because of the way it flows.

Some of my favorites from GT6's robust repertoire:
-Spa
-Brands Hatch
So much better than Tsukuba as a short track
-Suzuka
-Nurburgring
-Nurb GP
-Cote aka Monte Carlo GP
-Laguna Seca
-
Silverstone
it's not so bad, really!
-Toscana

Special mention to:
-Grand Valley
-Ascari, this might make its way to the top if it's used in seasonals.
-Fucking KART SPACE!

edit: I want goddamn Mugello and/or Imola for DLC. Interlagos should be good too.

Megasoum

Banned
The only tracks missing IMO are the two "Road"s (Atlanta and America) and Donington....

Of course I'd love to get Mosport, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve and maybe even the former Turkey F1 track but I'm realistic.

It would be great if GT had a rewind button option like Forza. Since every car behaves differently there is a lot of trial and error when not using the line. It's annoying making one mistake during a race and you have to restart all over again. Yeah I know the whole point is to get penalized for making mistakes but having a rewind option would be such a time saver.

The only tracks missing IMO are the two "Road"s (Atlanta and America) and Donington....

Of course I'd love to get Mosport, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve and maybe even the former Turkey F1 track but I'm realistic.

Road America, Donington and Imola would be great additions. Personally, I want Portimão. That track deserve more attention.

I miss GT4's Citta di Aria. Need more narrow rally tracks in European towns.

I absolutely loved that track and was sad to see it missing in GT5 and GT6.

I'd really like to see Mid-Ohio Sportscar Course in because it has a couple of great sections with undulating elevation changes--a lot like the old complex course in GT3. It's also where I learned to race so it's special, but it's really a great track.

conman

It would be great if GT had a rewind button option like Forza. Since every car behaves differently there is a lot of trial and error when not using the line. It's annoying making one mistake during a race and you have to restart all over again. Yeah I know the whole point is to get penalized for making mistakes but having a rewind option would be such a time saver.
Rewind is not necessary. The AI is so sluggish that it's not necessary. If your only goal is to beat the AI, you don't need a rewind option. Spin out, miss a turn, hit a barrier, whatever, you can still win easily. Even with an underpowered car. With or without assists. The only reason you might need to reset/rewind from a minor error is if you're going for a license/mission trophy. But even then, the times are very forgiving. I've gotten multiple golds with multiple minor errors. GT6 isn't GT5. And if you're aiming for lap times, you can just keep going and get it right on the next lap.

Absolutely no need for a rewind. IMO the rewind option is a crutch for bad design. I'll take rubber band-y AI over a rewind option any day.

The GT Twitter account either made a mistake, or is hinting at Course Creator tracks set in Ronda itself (and not just around it)

https://twitter.com/thegranturismo/status/414851804565094401

Probably nothing, but I would be happy with tracks like Citta di Aria making a return.

There were screenshots pre-release showing some streets in Rhonda and Valencia with striped curbs like you'd see on a race track (I think that's what they were). So the Course Creator will probably let us create our own circuits using the streets in the Photo Mode locations.

Dead Man

You may be right, but there are a number of factors conspiring against it. It's long and without distinct geographical elements. Think about how much easier Spa is to remember for example versus Ascari, same thing. It's not seen a lot in career mode. It doesn't have the reputation of a real GP circuit. It doesn't have a lot of flow to it, vague I know, but Suzuka is easy to remember because of the way it flows.

Some of my favorites from GT6's robust repertoire:
-Spa
-Brands Hatch
So much better than Tsukuba as a short track
-Suzuka
-Nurburgring
-Nurb GP
-Cote aka Monte Carlo GP
-Laguna Seca
-
Silverstone
it's not so bad, really!
-Toscana

Special mention to:
-Grand Valley
-Ascari, this might make its way to the top if it's used in seasonals.
-Fucking KART SPACE!

edit: I want goddamn Mugello and/or Imola for DLC. Interlagos should be good too.
LOL, talking of tracks that are hard to memorise, Silverstone is terrible for me, all the layout changes over the years haven't helped, I would start to learn it in one game then the next game would have a different layout. The current layout is terrible to drive I think.

Imola is dead to me since the changed it after Senna and Ratzenberger crashed. So dull now.

As for Cape Ring, yeah, it has some mickey mouse sections, and yeah, it is long. But the awesome corners are mostly all in the Cape Ring South variation, I think it only misses one or two that I really enjoy. Get a MR car set up to be slightly dirfty on a trailing throttle, and blast around there. Bliss.

Cape_Ring_South.png

But this is why every racing game needs a lot of tracks as much as a lot of cars, nobody has the same likes and dislikes.

Jedi2016

As for Cape Ring, yeah, it has some mickey mouse sections, and yeah, it is long. But the awesome corners are mostly all in the Cape Ring South variation, I think it only misses one or two that I really enjoy. Get a MR car set up to be slightly dirfty on a trailing throttle, and blast around there. Bliss.
Cape Ring's great with the right car. Go out there with a nice grippy car that can rip through the corners and you'll love it.

That's a thing with a lot of the tracks, really... there's certain car/track combinations that are just awesome. And it's usually not with the fastest cars.. more the ones that are "meant" for that track. 787B at LeMans, BMW M5 at the 'Ring, etc.

Headlights really suck in this game. I just did the Tour of Europe night race and I could barely see anything. Switching between high beam and low beam looked exactly the same.

Ding-Ding

I think Donington has a high chance of being DLC, as PD seem to have fallen in love with UK motor sport venues. Wouldn't surprise me if it came with the Senna DLC as it was one of his most famous wins.

Imola has little chance of being DLC as I think PD will be sensitive to Senna's family. Lets face it, some idiot will recreate that crash wearing Senna's colours.

EDIT. Think the Red Bull Ring will be a DLC track, for obvious reasons (maybe in january for the still locked Red Bull challenge)

amar212

I think Donington has a high chance of being DLC, as PD seem to have fallen in love with UK motor sport venues. Wouldn't surprise me if it came with the Senna DLC as it was one of his most famous wins.

Imola has little chance of being DLC as I think PD will be sensitive to Senna's family. Lets face it, some idiot will recreate that crash wearing Senna's colours.

EDIT. Think the Red Bull Ring will be a DLC track, for obvious reasons (maybe in january for the still locked Red Bull challenge)

Let us hope how they will be true Japanese and include Imola from reasons of paying respect. Imola and Mugello are truly missing in GT to complete Italian most famous trio.

I agree for Donnington and RBR.

However, as we know, Polyphony course crew is curentlly in the UK indeed, scanning Goodwood Road Course. I can only imagine they will not be there for only one course, so we can hope for some more UK courses.

BTW Trivia Time: Silverstone is the first UK course ever to be made for some GT game in 20!2. First ever licenced RL course in GT game was US Laguna Seca for GT2 in 1999. It was also the only real-life track in GT2. Second real life course in GT series was Monaco in GT3 in 2001. It took 7 years and GT4 to actually begin to get real-life courses in the series.

Pro Tip: Use the stock RUF Yellowbird with SH tires and no TCS for every event it qualifies for. The game becomes about 2,000x more enjoyable. How are the RUFs still not premium?! :(

I miss GT4's Citta di Aria. Need more narrow rally tracks in European towns.

costa di amalfi, tahiti maze, el capitan and citta di aria all need to come back

Yes, yes, yes and yes! I wish Cote d' azure wasn't an outdated overly wide garbage recreation of Monaco too. Love narrow street tracks. Madrid and London don't cut it.

Can I see someone's car settings for the Lamborghini Aventador?

I've made so many changes to the car and it still over-steers and spins like crazy.

I'm willing to bet you bought a shitload of power upgrades but didn't beef up the suspension. Check your ride height, stiffen your springs, and adjust your dampers. It'll make a world of difference. Lambos tend to be overpowered tops when they're unchecked

nasanu

Banned
Explain to me how an object sitting on an angled surface will see an increase in grip. Don't make me draw force diagrams man, it's been a loooong time since college.

More weight will shift to the rear which will increase rear traction for those wheels. But as I said this will not make up for the increase in inertia.

Headlights really suck in this game. I just did the Tour of Europe night race and I could barely see anything. Switching between high beam and low beam looked exactly the same.

Properly calibrate your TV. Night racing looks awesome and the difference between high and low beams should be obvious. I only have trouble seeing in the night races when the afternoon sun is shining on my TV, otherwise its fine.

Top Bottom