• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

RedSwirl

So if I'm correct, one of the main differences between this and Forza is that Forza will pretty much immediately throw you into a supercar and teach you from there, while GT forces you to start out in regular "consumer" cars until you've learned the fundamentals?

Korezo

It's beyond broken as some cars come equipped with racing brakes and the can't be changed. Also, recovering from a lockup is equally as stupid. If front locks up at 20% pedal travel you have to back off to ~5% before you get any type of grip in them. There's also no feedback from the wheel when you lock up, the only indication is the tire indicator. It's not as bad in lower powered cars, but it's not good either. The whole experience is ruined. Leave it to PD to ship a half baked racing game with broken core functions.

I get lock up feedback from a G27 wheel, I almost twisted my wrist.

So if I'm correct, one of the main differences between this and Forza is that Forza will pretty much immediately throw you into a supercar and teach you from there, while GT forces you to start out in regular "consumer" cars until you've learned the fundamentals?

There are a lot of differences... but I suppose. Though, there is also a thread for these type of questions. Mods don't like a lot of this cross game talk in these threads because they can devolve quickly into shitposts.

Doesn't Forza do that too?

I actually wish there more events for lower PP classes in this game. Race cars are so boring to drive.

Re-watching the "true ending" video I am thinking there is so much room for improvements in the graphics to make GT7 or whatever comes out on next gen closer to real life.

Car detail is already where it needs to be for next gen. But it is really in the lighting model where they could make some huge improvements. The environments could stand some small improvements. But I don't actually care about how the trees etc. I want the lighting to get a huge focus for the next version.

Dumb question: I got the Finale trophy a few days ago for finishing the GT All-Stars Championship in IB (3rd place, because apparently I can't drive the Aventador very well). I looked up the trophy and it says I get it for unlocking the ending movie. Only problem is, I never actually saw it! I did get an animation of my driver shaking the 3rd place trophy and a message about finishing the GT All-Stars event, but I hit Start out of habit and I guess skipped the movie. Only thing is, I can't even find it in my Gallery so now I'm wondering if I imagined the whole thing. Maybe it's a glitch and I actually need to finish all the IB events first?

Jabba

Banned
That's shit. It needs to be fixed.

Tire degradation, at least in the endurance races is fucked up I think. Just ran the 10 lap Suzuka challenge about 30 minutes ago. Same thing happens. Only had to pit once as I ran the R18 TDI. LOL

Pit on lap 6, coming out to finish lap 7. At the finish of the race, my fronts were a little over half worn, rear tires were half gone. Funny thing is, I was able to do 6 laps starting on a set of softs.

As you stated earlier phosphor112 They need to address this.

I knew it was wrong when it happened in the Le Mans race, I just wasn't sure if it was in more than one race or not.

Prophane33

Dumb question: I got the Finale trophy a few days ago for finishing the GT All-Stars Championship in IB (3rd place, because apparently I can't drive the Aventador very well). I looked up the trophy and it says I get it for unlocking the ending movie. Only problem is, I never actually saw it! I did get an animation of my driver shaking the 3rd place trophy and a message about finishing the GT All-Stars event, but I hit Start out of habit and I guess skipped the movie. Only thing is, I can't even find it in my Gallery so now I'm wondering if I imagined the whole thing. Maybe it's a glitch and I actually need to finish all the IB events first?

I believe that IS the movie. I had the same situation (and came in 1st). There is another MUCH longer movie to be unlocked later.

That one is the Finale. It's just your racer dude shaking a trophy.

The real ending is the Grand Finale. You get it after clearing IA. That is the one you get the movie on.

Crashing troubles update:

I've blown out my PS3 with compressed air, and it's definitely quieter now, but it still crashed and turned off. Reinstalled and re-downloaded the patch, and I managed a couple of races but then it crashed again.

I'm so frustrated. It's testament to how much the game has sucked me in that I keep coming back to it after the crashes!

I'm just going to borrow somebody's PS3 for a bit.

Xun

It's apparently exclusive to Forza 5 for a period of time. So, it'll probably come whenever that is up (i'm not sure how long that'll be though).
That's a shame, but I figured it probably would be (much like the McLaren P1).

It's a shame the Ferrari F1 cars are missing this time as well.

In a few hours the next red bull challenge unlocks!

I have saved up 600mil to buy the X car. But I have been holding off for the chance to get it free with this challenge.

ruttyboy

In a few hours the next red bull challenge unlocks!

I have saved up 600mil to buy the X car. But I have been holding off for the chance to get it free with this challenge.

The description of the Red Bull Challenge says that it is designed to teach you to drive 'an authentic Formula car', for a second I was ready to jump on the RB9 being in the game wagon, then I realised there's two events left and two more X cars (X2014 Standard and X2014 Fan) to win :(

I do not understand this. How do you mean "why can't we just have a fucking brake bias setting"? There is brake bias setting - you just have to determine which one is corect for the particular car.

Also, there is no way some "default" bias could be implemented, for a vast number of reasons. First, every compound asks for a different balance (comfort, sports, racing). Second, installing different types of suspension (default, racing, fully adjustable) changes suspension behavior and influences brake-bias settings. Third, the "Racing Brake Kit" has obviously changed BB settings again. And fourth, BB settings are vastly individual matter. What I find good for me is not good for somebody else. For instance, my friedn (who also uses CSP pedals) uses lower settings for the front axle than me because he does not want lockups to occur. On the other hand, friends with T500RS wheel are using drastically lower settings for both axes, where I use 5-1, they're using 3-0 for example. In the same time, some experienced controller players are using 9-2 settings for controlling high-powered MR cars on Comfort compound. It is all a matter of preference, and it is great we have a choice to use BB setting as way to individually determine the behavior of the suspension/brakes.

I have no real problems with the way GT does this, because it is a very fast procedure once you get used to it. Get into some car for the first time, glance at weight and I instantly know basic BB setting depending on the weight and compound I am using. I set it up in 3 seconds and commence to race where I just have to disable ABS for that car for the first time and I am ready to go.

I really find it no hassle.

Yes, I am using Fanatec CSPV2 with the load-cell. I am using a maximum array of travel available, so I can actually have lockups. I do not like limited travel setting, it is unnatural and I want lockups from various reasons.

Because it isn't a proper bias setting. A brake bias is the percentage of the cars braking system between front and rear brakes. GT has all cars at 5/5 based on the brake settings, but they are definitely not at a 50%/50% brake bias. A car still starts with a 5/5 brake setting, but has a huge front bias already "hidden" in the cars setup. With a production car, it isn't so much "hidden" as it is the fact production cars have bigger front rotors than rear rotors to create a permanent front bias. Racing brakes setups, or the upgrade in GT's case, tend to put four equal sized rotors across all wheels. Even with the four equal sized rotors after the upgrade in GT6, you have a front bias "hidden" with the settings at 5/5. The fronts always have locked up well before the rears in my tests. With equal sized brakes at all wheels and a true 50%/50% bias setting, you would tend to lock up the rears first as the weight transfers forward under braking. That is why once you have the bias setting, it is almost never at 50%/50%. The reason why GT is bullshit, is because you are not adjusting the bias of a set braking system, you are changing the total braking potential at each end which in turn creates the effect of a bias adjustment.

E.g Say we have a car starting at a 50%/50% brake bias and we are going to use an arbitrary measurement of 100 "braking units" to say that these cylinders are set to their absolute highest pressure for maximum braking potential. Both the front and the rear brakes are now going to be getting 50 "brake units" Changing the brake bias changes the ratio of this 100 units. but you are always still getting 100 BUs as you adjust the bias. In GT, you are actually individually setting the "braking units" at the front and the back, which can be skewed to create a bias, but you are also messing with your total "braking units" as you adjust your bias. (There might be some new 100% computer controlled brakes with 4 master cylinders out there but I don't know them off hand and they definitely aren't in most race or production cars) In a real brake bias example, I can adjust it to 90%/10% but I still am playing with 100 BUs at all times. In GT, if I set brake balance of 4/1 to get the right bias for my setup, I have now reduced my BUs to 50. If you set it to 7/4 for your pedals, you now have 110 BUs on that same car. We are both adjusting a "bias" but we are also resulting in vastly different BUs. This is why the GT system is deeply flawed. The same braking setups found in almost all other racing sims needs to happen. Where you can change the total breaking strength setting or BUs implied in my example, in addition to having a brake bias setting permitting the car or the upgrades installed allow for it.

IMO GT should have two brake upgrades. Stock production cars should not be able to adjust the bias or the strength. Kind of like stock suspensions and transmissions that can't be changed. The first upgrade enhances production cars total braking potential and unlocks the strength adjustment. This would be higher quality, larger rotors and calipers. However, this would only add the option to adjust brake strength, not bias. You would still have to deal with the cars natural front brake bias from having smaller rotors at the rear. The racing grade brake upgrade now would give even more braking potential, the brake strength setting as well as the on the fly brake bias setting. All racing cars would come with this brake package.

Gutterboy / Malyice, I finally get what you mean.

I finally took Huayra for a ride and it is absolute crazyness. With Racing Brake Pads, braking without ABS is pure nonsense.

Travel of pedal is 20% max, changing bias doesn't do anything for the actual travel and what I think is how Racing Pads are great problem for nonABS driving. I have to try more cars, but I agree that something is deeply wrong in that area.

Ok, thank god. I was starting to feel like I was going insane with some of the brake shit because I was having a horrible time with it in some cars. Glad to see we are all getting on the same page despite still having some different impressions of it. Regardless of ABS, the braking adjustments and upgrades are deeply flawed in GT6.

So I started the "Dream Car" tournament, or whatever it's called. And while everyone else used GT and LMP class cars, I used the X2014 Junior. Had to down tune it to 95% power. Anyway. I almost got first in the championship. Couldn't win 1st on le Sarthe (got second) simply because those straight aways are just way too slow with that 250hp car... Also, nurburgring was also a win... those tight turn sections are a real easy way to pass the competition, but the inside high speed area before coming up to the carrousel is hard to keep up with. Anyway, I was on the last straight and I was about 8 seconds ahead because of all the turns, and I'm cruising at 159, topping out on this tiny engine, and this fucker flies down the straight at 220+ mph and plows my car in the ass.

I got in second place on that race, but the extra 25points was what I needed to go for the championship win.

So bitter.

Crashing troubles update:

I've blown out my PS3 with compressed air, and it's definitely quieter now, but it still crashed and turned off. Reinstalled and re-downloaded the patch, and I managed a couple of races but then it crashed again.

I'm so frustrated. It's testament to how much the game has sucked me in that I keep coming back to it after the crashes!

I'm just going to borrow somebody's PS3 for a bit.

Dude, man, like I said, make sure you back up ALL your saves to the cloud if you haven't already. And if you have games installed, you're going to have to redownload them, because your PS3 is going to die.

Dude, man, like I said, make sure you back up ALL your saves to the cloud if you haven't already. And if you have games installed, you're going to have to redownload them, because your PS3 is going to die.

I honestly don't think it is! It works fine in every other game. If it starts doing it in other games, I'll agree with you, but I'm convinced it's some weird glitch with GT6.

Gigarator

Oh dear my PS3 just shut itself off and is blinking red at me. Had it since launch and never had a problem, looks like this may be the beginning of the end.

amar212

so i was trying your challenge a few pages back with the cizeta, i re entered the race over ten times to get the huyara/enzo combo but it never happened so i did it with fxx/huyara.

...can you remember the time you got for superbar festival silverstone challenge?

I never altered anything on pedals regarding moving rods, they are default.

I really do not remember Silverstone event, it was not challenging as LeMans I suppose :)

Here, I exported a replay of the Cizeta on LeMans race, full stock car (no oil change), all aids OFF, ABS OFF, driven from the cockpit. Sports Hard compound, AI drives Sports Soft I think? Brake balance was 7 (front) / 1 (rear).

It is not 100% clean run, I bumped the FXX at the end, but if I didn't miss that braking point I would prorbably win. Also, the 612 bumped me earlier, so I didn't have an urge to restart because it was not my aggressive move.

IIRC You have to unpack it on the USB and copy it on the PS3 in order to get the main replay icon under the Game Save data in the GT6 XMB "folder" - and you will be bale to watch it in your GT6 Library/Replays.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2iw746qzx7romra/PS3.zip

RedSwirl

Maybe it already has one and I didn't notice, but the dealerships section of the game should have a search function based on PP, HP, and price range. The recommended cars section is a great feature, but feels a bit limited.

Skunkers

Maybe it already has one and I didn't notice, but the dealerships section of the game should have a search function based on PP, HP, and price range. The recommended cars section is a great feature, but feels a bit limited.

You can go to the top left within a dealership and change you the cars are sorted. Can't search across multiple dealerships though. Dunno if that helps.

Calabi

Its like they expect you to have an Encyclopaedic knowledge of cars. All these manufacturer names are meaningless to me.

Korezo

wow I did my first S class endurance race which was the 10 lap Suz race and damn what terrible fps performance... Game had to be going @ single digit fps, my car would keep freezing on the screen like if someone was pausing a video over and over and omg the pitstop lag... Terrible. First time I experience fps problems.

-Amon-

Happy new year gentlemen :)

With wife and little boy on vacation i finally had the chance to drive a little in GT6, finally with my G27.

Made some runs in GT5 too while i was at it, i was courious about some posters in this thread that said that GT6 is a graphical downgrade over 5.

I have to say that they were right, memory served me bad. GT5 has a cleaner look to me. The difference is not that big but it is there i feel. Nothing that big but it's there.

Speaking of driving, it looks like that even with ABS etc etc off, and using the gated shifter of the G27, they left in some auto throttle blip while downshifting. In GT5 with ABS off you where forced to blip the throttle while downshifting, or rear axle lockup occurred while shifting from 3rd to 2nd, when you disengaged the clutch. I find this a good thing, being too difficult do heel and toe with the g27 pedals.

Apart from that, i like driving in Gt6 more than in 5. Can't really pinpoint why, that's the problem :) I used my go to cars ( the yellowbird and the F40 in stock form ) in both sims at suzuka for comparisons. The RUF is easier in GT6. Her ass feels less snappy on corner entry and exit. The F40 has more general understeer in GT6, but can bite harder when you play too much with the trottle mid turn to help her rotate.

Other thing i noted is that now bumps and curbs really upset the grip of the car. In GT5 you could ride almost all the curbs ( only exeption if i remember well the inside curb of lesmo 1 in Monza ). In GT6 you have to pay great attention when coming off of every curb.

Nice.

Feels nice using a wheel in Gt after so many months... i'm having fun.

-Amon-

However after playing some PS4 games i have to say that GT needs PS4. GT6 feels really on the limit on the triple. Can't wait for GT7 or a prologue on Ps4.

The GT-R R35 Touring Car just might be the best car in the game.

It's almost broken it's too good... Almost every event in IA can be cleared with ease. And it is a relatively cheap car.

onken

What cars did everyone use to beat the historic racing car cup in iB? The top 3 cars are the most expensive in the game and I don't feel like paying for that.

Ding-Ding

Past 1am EST, Jan 1st... no event. =[.

Kind of have the feeling its a big update today. PD did say there are two in January. The longer we wait the chances are we are waiting on the update to go live.

Doubt its the 1st DLC though as that usually comes with forewarning to get our wallets ready.
What cars did everyone use to beat the historic racing car cup in iB? The top 3 cars are the most expensive in the game and I don't feel like paying for that.

You forgetting a certain little racing Toyota that comes in at under 2mil-)

i don't like this 500 garage limit and stockyard shit, what was wrong with the way gt5 handled the garage? it's too much faffing about and once in the stockyard they aren't checked off in the dealership.

the buying process is also too slow, i want to go all out and buy as many cars as possible in one go, so let me select them and add them straight to my garage instead of forcing some shit mini intro onto me and asking if I want to use the car - fuck!

661 cars acquired, 500+ more to go :(

Science experiment!

So, grip improves (slightly!) with higher track temperature. Realized it in my heap of X2011 testing a bit ago. Measuring time to the 10000m mark on SSRX there was about a ~.03s improvement per 1 degree (F) of track temp with the top speed a bit more than 1mph higher at 80F than 70F. This is actually nice to know is in the master grip formula somewhere. However engine performance does not increase as the temperature goes down. If there were any single car where this would be noticable it'd be the X2011 where realistically you could be talking +-50hp across the 10(F) bottom and top of Special Stage Route X. That would result in a much more than ~0.03 gap per degree and would offer a top speed several ticks lower. I have a feeling the game takes your power from the tuning screen and doesn't update in realtime like it does with grip which I now know includes a variable for temperature.

I understand that power could be going up as grip goes down but the ratio should not be such a precise nearly 1:1 ratio in pace change and as I said the hp gap should be much larger than the few hundredths if it were factored in. Oh, and for control purposes I did an oil change immediately before my tests and ran each temp at least 3 times to make sure there wasn't some random variable involved. The run to 10000m is the only entirely reliable test you can do in GT6. With a car set to AT and since it's a straight line it's the only way to assure quality control. The variations are all very small but I could recreate them all repeatedly. When I have time the next few days I'll try it with some other cars.

What top speed can people get with the X2011, I'm curious? Did something big happen in 1.02 that messed with top speeds on things? Pre-1.02 I could get the thing to almost 360mph/580km/h but I can't coax it over 335 now. Did they turn it down a bit perhaps so the 2014 fancar can end up with the fastest speed in a straight line? I know I'm not imagining this because my max speed recorded on my stats screen is 359 and I have a 3:10:xx save on SSRX.

You can easily beat the Ford's and the Ferrari and other super expensive cars with just a tuned up Cobra 427.

The really expensive cars are not the ones to worry about. It is the Toyota 7 and tthe Chaparrel 2J that are the truly quick cars on that event.

Toyota 7 is not "that" expensive though relatively. So you can just save up for that one. It basically a bargin. it's less than half the price of the 2J and about 10x cheaper than the super expensive race cars. But arguably one of the fastest cars in the whole damn game.

Science experiment!

So, grip improves (slightly!) with higher track temperature. Realized it in my heap of X2011 testing a bit ago. Measuring time to the 10000m mark on SSRX there was about a ~.03s improvement per 1 degree (F) of track temp with the top speed a bit more than 1mph higher at 80F than 70F. This is actually nice to know is in the master grip formula somewhere.
How do you know it is the grip? The increase in speed due to temperature could be related to air density - as temperature increases, air becomes less dense, reducing aero drag. I don't know whether GT6 models air density, but it's another variable to consider...

Honey Bunny

My login bonus seems to be borked. I've logged in every day for over a week and it only registered the login once or twice. Did a race and manually saved every time, and yes I'm online when I do it. Frustrating. I'm just going to forget about them and the play the game when I feel like it, I suppose.

The Stealth Fox

My login bonus seems to be borked. I've logged in every day for over a week and it only registered the login once or twice. Did a race and manually saved every time, and yes I'm online when I do it. Frustrating. I'm just going to forget about them and the play the game when I feel like it, I suppose.

Try saving when you get your bonus.

You guys need to stop pretending that rolling starts instead of standing starts have anything to do with performance.

It has everything to do with shit AI.

red731

Never had a problem.
Log in, play a race - doesn't matter if you win lose or just race time trial with any car.
I log in everyday, do a race and be ready to hold the upped% for logins.
Not saving manualy either.

Top Bottom