• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

I feel like I am the only person who really does not like the T500RS. I find the pedals to be almost unusable after getting used the Fanatec CSPv2s. The wheel itself feels very cheap and just overall nasty to the touch. The FFB and speed of the wheel is impressive, but I find the way the wheel produces effects leads me to be less precise in my steering inputs. Mostly, it does not feel like a real car.

That being said... I have gone through 5 Fanatec CSW bases and not a single one has lasted longer than 8 months. I guess this is how a Ferrari owner feels...

Try the Basher brake mod. It is very cheap.

All this stuff sounds great, thanks everybody. I used to love drifting for the leaderboards.

edit- speaking of T500, this thing is incredible, set it up with my Wheel stand pro and am loving it. Will eventually upgrade to a cockpit. I also noticed there was some sort of iRacing 3 month trial through cadillac or something? Anybody play that at all? And finally Grid 2 is a bit difficult to play on the higher levels with the t500, seems the game was more built around the controller.

Just a few laps in practice mode. I can confirm the free 3 months works though. All you have to do is give your email basically, and a valid payment method. Just remeber to cancel so they won't bill you.

That's really weird, after installing a few parts on my Delta (have to check which exactly, I know I only put on a twin plate for example but I may have been more aggressive with the parts otherwise) I found getting gold pretty easy. It's the only one of the three new events I managed it in, too. The S2000 one, on the other hand, just reminds me of why I hate the S2000.

I have gold every other event (thought I think I used SRF on the Andretti and one other one because I didn't want to fuck with it), but I can't seem to get this one at all. Should I not use hard suspensions? Probably causing too much understeer...

Apparently the PP limit is 450... I was at 401 =/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I bought a used Logitech Driving Force GT (which thankfully takes the 360 wheel power adapter since it didn't come with one) and I was just wondering... how viable is it to play with this on a lap? My one desk is too thick to use the clamps on it and I don't have another surface I can easily use.

That said, boy the game plays completely differently with a wheel!

Watevaman

I bought a used Logitech Driving Force GT (which thankfully takes the 360 wheel power adapter since it didn't come with one) and I was just wondering... how viable is it to play with this on a lap? My one desk is too thick to use the clamps on it and I don't have another surface I can easily use.

You can widen the clamps (not my picture)

2013-12-29%2003.22.00.jpg

try that first

How does it compare to gt?
It is as serious as sim racing gets, which doesn't necessarily make it better/more enjoyable (and people will argue about its realism all day) - only that you have to approach iRacing with a certain mindset. There's a driving line in the rookie series, and you are allowed shifting aids, but that's it. There is no AI - you must race against other people - and you are expected to be clean at all times. No contact, no cutting, fair racing - you will never make progress if you drive like it's a 'game'. Some people see that as nofunallowed.jpg (although there is a Test mode where you can muck about all you like), while others appreciate this approach and treat it like a real racing career/hobby, looking for the same type of 'fun' that you'd have in a sanctioned race series in reality.

It is less 'pick up and play' than GT - there is a calibration wizard to help you set up the controls if you want to jump in quickly, but that is just the beginning - there's a huge number of settings that you might want to test out to improve the feel to your tastes. In terms of physics the cars will initially seem unforgiving compared to GT - this is apparently down to the tyres, which are simulated in a unique way, and struggle over the limit, meaning slides are difficult to save once they are beyond a certain slip angle. The benefit of this tyre model is in the detail it offers over long runs - they evolve and behave differently depending on your driving style, how your car is set up, etc - but there is still a lot of room for improvement. I would say GT6's tyre improvements made a step towards iRacing's tyre characteristics of fast, unsavable grip loss at high slip angles, but they are still move forgiving in comparison.

In terms of how it feels with a T500, I'd say all PC sims with a T500 have the potential to feel better than the T500 on the PS3. Being an official wheel, GT6 is calibrated pretty nicely with it, but it comes alive on PC - it simply feels more responsive, and the driver options and individual sim options allow very fine tuning to your tastes. iRacing's FFB in particular is superb - linear mode is a revelation, even though the T500 isn't really powerful enough for it. I recommend seeking out the tips for FFB calibration in the iRacing forum if you're going to give it a try.

I think you can only answer that yourself. I would imagine it's a very difficult thing to do, particularly if you're fighting against the feedback. It will want to rotate its base while you're holding the wheel - you can't just rest it on your lap, you'd have to grab it between your thighs... which would then make pedal control kinda challenging too... if you put the strength to its lowest setting in the game you might be able to do it, but it's far from ideal. I think some very weak wheels came with lap clamps/supports for this purpose, but none of the powerful ones do because it would be wayy too uncomfortable.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It is as serious as sim racing gets, which doesn't necessarily make it better/more enjoyable (and people will argue about its realism all day) - only that you have to approach iRacing with a certain mindset. There's a driving line in the rookie series, and you are allowed shifting aids, but that's it. There is no AI - you must race against other people - and you are expected to be clean at all times. No contact, no cutting, fair racing - you will never make progress if you drive like it's a 'game'. Some people see that as nofunallowed.jpg (although there is a Test mode where you can muck about all you like), while others appreciate this approach and treat it like a real racing career/hobby, looking for the same type of 'fun' that you'd have in a sanctioned race series in reality.

It is less 'pick up and play' than GT - there is a calibration wizard to help you set up the controls if you want to jump in quickly, but that is just the beginning - there's a huge number of settings that you might want to test out to improve the feel to your tastes. In terms of physics the cars will initially seem unforgiving compared to GT - this is apparently down to the tyres, which are simulated in a unique way, and struggle over the limit, meaning slides are difficult to save once they are beyond a certain slip angle. The benefit of this tyre model is in the detail it offers over long runs - they evolve and behave differently depending on your driving style, how your car is set up, etc - but there is still a lot of room for improvement. I would say GT6's tyre improvements made a step towards iRacing's tyre characteristics of fast, unsavable grip loss at high slip angles, but they are still move forgiving in comparison.

In terms of how it feels with a T500, I'd say all PC sims with a T500 have the potential to feel better than the T500 on the PS3. Being an official wheel, GT6 is calibrated pretty nicely with it, but it comes alive on PC - it simply feels more responsive, and the driver options and individual sim options allow very fine tuning to your tastes. iRacing's FFB in particular is superb - linear mode is a revelation, even though the T500 isn't really powerful enough for it. I recommend seeking out the tips for FFB calibration in the iRacing forum if you're going to give it a try.

I think you can only answer that yourself. I would imagine it's a very difficult thing to do, particularly if you're fighting against the feedback. It will want to rotate its base while you're holding the wheel - you can't just rest it on your lap, you'd have to grab it between your thighs... which would then make pedal control kinda challenging too... if you put the strength to its lowest setting in the game you might be able to do it, but it's far from ideal. I think some very weak wheels came with lap clamps/supports for this purpose, but none of the powerful ones do because it would be wayy too uncomfortable.

Sounds like I have a long way to go.

ruttyboy

My friend has one and he literally uses a piece of wood to attach it to that he then settles on his lap. Seems to work for him.

I have gold every other event (thought I think I used SRF on the Andretti and one other one because I didn't want to fuck with it), but I can't seem to get this one at all. Should I not use hard suspensions? Probably causing too much understeer...

Apparently the PP limit is 450... I was at 401 =/

Oh yeah, I definitely modded my car more heavily than you did. Full list of parts:

Hard racing suspension
Racing brake kit
Full transmission with max speed at 124mph
Twin plate clutch
Carbon drive shaft
Stage 1 engine tuning
Sports exhaust
Isometric intake manifold
Intake tuning
Stage 2 weight reduction

Car PP is 447. Skid recovery force and ASM are off but TCS is set to 5. I just tried it with TCS off, though, and after 8 laps I was back under 1:10. Maybe the above settings will work for you? If you've got gold in everything else you have to be a better driver than me.

Jabba

Banned
Anybody else have trouble with Nascar oval races? I know about and how to use the draft but the constant you spin we don't stuff bothered me a bit.

I wasn't going to bother with Nascar but after golding the 15 minute IA races and ended up with Gordons 2013 car, I was like well WTF, go for it. It was fun though I have to admit. Even though the AI not spinning in situations was head scratching.

benzy

Anybody else have trouble with Nascar oval races? I know about and how to use the draft but the constant you spin we don't stuff bothered me a bit.

I wasn't going to bother with Nascar but after golding the 15 minute IA races and ended up with Gordons 2013 car, I was like well WTF, go for it. It was fun though I have to admit. Even though the AI not spinning in situations was head scratching.

Yup. I end up spinning out because the car behind rams in my ass every time. After that there's just no way to catch up.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I just did the 24 minutes of Nurburgring with the escudo pikes peak. It got tough on the second lap considering it doesn't have lights. I ended up driving by going off the track map.

Repo Man

My PS3 must be on it's last legs. Pretty much every race on GT6 now runs significantly less than 60fps, particularly those with 15 other, usually "premium", cars on track. Even in 720p and using bumper view some races are atrocious, such as Bathurst. Barely above 30 in some cases.
Either my PS3 is slowly dying or people are'nt being completely honest about frame rate. And some of the races begger belief, mainly due to seemingly pre-set AI and conditions. All too often I shake my head in disbelief. Oh well.

If you havent done it yet, try going to the options and in the image quality settings set it to sharpen. I felt that it made the framerates a bit better but increased flicker and aliaising which I personally can live with.

Kukuk

Banned
Pshew, just got all gold in the Goodwood Festival of Speed. That was intense, especially the Red Bull one. Still, as tough as that one was, I think the one with the Aston Martin was worse. Damn car is as wide as a four lane highway, and has a habit of turning into a spinning top when turning.

ethomaz

Banned
Pshew, just got all gold in the Goodwood Festival of Speed. That was intense, especially the Red Bull one. Still, as tough as that one was, I think the one with the Aston Martin was worse. Damn car is as wide as a four lane highway, and has a habit of turning into a spinning top when turning.
I couldn't do the Red Bull one... all the others was easy than that one... 200ms to get Gold.

amar212

Key for Goodwood is braking, not accelerating.

The main point is to brake very, very, very early for the Molecomb corner and sharply-brake for The Wall:

03.jpg

If you manage to make proper "slow in-fast out" for that corner, you should have no problem with any of the runs (including X1).

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Not to sound smug, but I thought the Goodwood challenges were a bit too forgiving. I definitely left the track on a couple of attempts getting used to the various cars, but I got gold first time on almost every single attempt that saw me reach the finish line. The target times allow for a fair bit of caution in your driving; you really don't have to do anything like a perfect run to get gold.

I agree. I'm not that quick, yet it feels like at least 1 second should be removed from all the times to present a challenge worthy of a 'gold' award.

conman

I agree. I'm not that quick, yet it feels like at least 1 second should be removed from all the times to present a challenge worthy of a 'gold' award.
Pretty much cruised through (mistakes and all) for every Goodwood challenge... except with the X1.

Not to sound smug, but I thought the Goodwood challenges were a bit too forgiving. I definitely left the track on a couple of attempts getting used to the various cars, but I got gold first time on almost every single attempt that saw me reach the finish line. The target times allow for a fair bit of caution in your driving; you really don't have to do anything like a perfect run to get gold.

At first i thought they were challenging, but i just got back to them after 3 or so weeks and they were piss-easy. Either i got used to the new physics engine or PD made it easier.

dalin80

Banned

As soon as you realize that you don't need to be greedy and can actually take your time then they are pretty easy. I struggled with a few before deciding to just brake a little earlier and drive a bit steadier, then I soon realized that all you need to do most of the time is reach the finish line and be a second clear of gold anyway, crashed off far too many times chasing hundredth's that I really didn't need.

ruttyboy

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have massive slipstream effect AND rubber banding should be ashamed of themselves.

Anyway, they have ice tires now, wooo!

Chamonix-Main.jpg

Deadman

I got up to the junior red bull x challenge today and that car is so much fun to drive. Still has the insane grip but without the almost undriveable insane speed of the full x cars. After I finished the championship I went to 4/5 tracks in free run just to enjoy driving it.

Ding-Ding

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have massive slipstream effect AND rubber banding should be ashamed of themselves.

Chamonix-Main.jpg

I wouldnt call it rubber banding, more like the opponents decide that the penultimate lap is a parade lap before deciding 'oh shit, I forgot we were racing'

Honestly though, I dont notice it as much now as I drive hud off. With that gone you dont notice till you get close to them (instead of seeing sector times fall rapidly).

In a certain way, I like the fact it brings alot more cars to drive, into possible winners (GT5 and only a few stock cars being able to win drove me nuts).

There must be a better way though. Something like matching opponents cars to your entry (so no Ferrari FXX 20 seconds up the road when I choose the Alfa)

Chamonix-Main.jpg

still too fat and disgusting:

untitled-1xskat.jpg

why don't they just make the tuning part graphic tyre and stop fannying about?

and they better drop this fixed ffb setting for rally in the next update, i'm having to unplug my wheel to play ffs, it's too strong and absolute shit.

hardvibes

The main point is to brake very, very, very early for the Molecomb corner and sharply-brake for The Wall:

03.jpg

If you manage to make proper "slow in-fast out" for that corner, you should have no problem with any of the runs (including X1).
I easily golded all of them....but the X1 challenge....damn I still didn't manage to finish ONE run. I get disqualified after the first corner. It's so damn fast and the road too narrow.

Kukuk

Banned

Overall, I agree. Most of them were pretty easy, it was just a couple of them I really struggled with, manly because the cars used have really odd turning. The Red Bull one I struggled with because I have crap reflexes, but it became a little more manageable when I got used to it, and when I figured out to coast through the turns.

ruttyboy

I wouldnt call it rubber banding, more like the opponents decide that the penultimate lap is a parade lap before deciding 'oh shit, I forgot we were racing'

Honestly though, I dont notice it as much now as I drive hud off. With that gone you dont notice till you get close to them (instead of seeing sector times fall rapidly).

In a certain way, I like the fact it brings alot more cars to drive, into possible winners (GT5 and only a few stock cars being able to win drove me nuts).

There must be a better way though. Something like matching opponents cars to your entry (so no Ferrari FXX 20 seconds up the road when I choose the Alfa)

I was talking about the last driving mission in S Class really. The AI is slow and shit until you pass him (which is difficult to do without him ramming you because he can't handle not being on the racing line, him smashing you off the track, thanks to his magic tyres, and hitting a barrier, or you hitting him thanks to his ridiculous mid-corner braking), and then thanks to the rubber banding he's keeps up with you enough that when you reach a straight he can just slipstream past you, meaning you have to go through the same shit all over again to overtake him and it just repeats again.

still too fat and disgusting:

untitled-1xskat.jpg

why don't they just make the tuning part graphic tyre and stop fannying about?

and they better drop this fixed ffb setting for rally in the next update, i'm having to unplug my wheel to play ffs, it's too strong and absolute shit.

They look about the right width in the picture I took, not sure where those are from in your picture though, maybe you were talking about those?

Jabba

Banned
Yup. I end up spinning out because the car behind rams in my ass every time. After that there's just no way to catch up.

I ended up finishing one of the races in 1st and it was like the 3rd attempt after completely lowering the car and lowering downforce to minimum. I did this gradually initially as I thought the car wouldn't stick full throttle in corners at Daytona, even though I hit the corners correctly much of the time.

If you haven't tried the above and you haven't finished yet, try it. I still have a few races to do in this part. I'm afraid if the other ovals have less banking than Daytona, I'm in for a long night.

Jedi2016

...if the other ovals have less banking than Daytona, I'm in for a long night.
Yeah... that would be Indianapolis.

The road courses don't seem like they'd be as difficult (I haven't tried them yet) because of the AI's tendency to brake early for corners. I tend to take a more aggressive approach to braking.

God I hate the X2010!!! I want to punch the whole designers in them face (and the nuts) for creating it, the steering its so twitchy, I spend 2 hours of continues attempts to finally beat the gold medal in the Goodwood.
The only good thing I can say about the car is that driving any other car in feels like driving in slowcam and its much easier after getting use to the X2010.

Most of the other cars in the festival were pretty good.

03.jpg

Molecomb is the devil.

deim0s

I got up to the junior red bull x challenge today and that car is so much fun to drive. Still has the insane grip but without the almost undriveable insane speed of the full x cars. After I finished the championship I went to 4/5 tracks in free run just to enjoy driving it.

Almost everytime I boot the game, I run the race for kicks to have some fun and cash too.

So good.

They look about the right width in the picture I took, not sure where those are from in your picture though, maybe you were talking about those?

Still looks too fat to me, in your shot it looks like they've taken the tread texture of the 3rd tyre in my picture, flipped it and whacked it on the sport tyre.

quick and dirty shop:

granturismo6_18o6pln.jpg

My WR Subarus need that tuning part Pirelli tyre in GT5 Prologue quality banderas.gif

Kukuk

Banned
Wow, I really hate kart racing.

Like, really, really hate it. It's easily the least enjoyable part of this game so far. I can't even manage 3rd place on the second set of kart races you do. It's just impossible to take the turns the AI takes, at the same speed they take them, and not spin out.

Any tips?

EDIT: Beat the first and third levels of the 100cc kart races. Thought I had the technique nailed down, but the second race thoroughly kicks my ass. It's just so fucking hard to apply acceleration with any nuance. You're either applying 100%, and spinning out, or you're applying like 60%, and you can't catch up. Not sure if it's the game, or the PS3's controller, but it makes it really infuriating.

EDIT again: Pshew, finally beat it. Found out that softly tapping gas when coming out of a turn helps a lot. Also put 9kg to the front of the kart to make it balanced, and set the trans to lowest top speed.

onken

You forgetting a certain little racing Toyota that comes in at under 2mil-)

You can easily beat the Ford's and the Ferrari and other super expensive cars with just a tuned up Cobra 427.

The really expensive cars are not the ones to worry about. It is the Toyota 7 and tthe Chaparrel 2J that are the truly quick cars on that event.

Toyota 7 is not "that" expensive though relatively. So you can just save up for that one. It basically a bargin. it's less than half the price of the 2J and about 10x cheaper than the super expensive race cars. But arguably one of the fastest cars in the whole damn game.

Cheers. I bought the Toyota 7 and beat them easily enough (CPU T7 still gave me a run for my money.) Embarrassed to say I had to set traction control to 1. I don't know what Faustian pact is required to keep that car from spinning out when breathing on the pedal but apparently I haven't made it.

M76

Banned
I feel that this game has zero to no improvements over GT5.

I hate the fact that using a manual clutch is still a disadvantage and not an advantage. It's just impossible to shift quick enough with it, because you have to completely depress the clutch and then start to shift, and you can only start releasing the pedal when you completed the shift. Otherwise you end up in Neutral, and have to start the whole depress shift release process from start while loosing a ton of time. It's totally unrealistic. And it's exactly the same as it was in GT5.

But moving on, at least GT5 presented some challenges. In GT3,GT4,GT5, but even in the PS1 games GT1, and GT2 which I played on emulators, It was really really hard to achieve gold in license tests. Now it's a walk in the park. Maybe 7 out of 10 times I end up getting gold for the first try, that's not my skill, that's how low they set the bar.

Same goes for races, I haven't gotten to the professional categories yet, but until now, every race had an insanely high PP limit. They're easily winnable with cars that have 100 less pp than the limit.

The only real challenge in the game so far were the driving missions where you have a fixed car and target, but even those have problems. In many cases I end up getting gold, while loosing to the opponents. They should have disabled catch-up for these. Well honestly they should've disabled it entirely, I hate that damn feature. You race on the edge for five laps, but you make a mistake in the last corner and bam you loose, because no matter how quick you are, you can't build gaps.

Another thing I dislike is that they mixed up standard and premium cars in the dealers as far as I can tell there is no way to differentiate them. You only find out after you bought it. And since I like driving from inside view it's real annoying to find out that I just bought a standard car. Well you can actually tell by looking at the model very closely in the dealership, but that's just not the way it supposed to be.

Oh and why on earth do I still have to turn off traction control for each car individually? Why can it remember everything else but not that?

The fact that it downloaded an 1.2 GB patch when I installed the game on release day didn't even surprise me, just annoyed me, since it took more than half an hour to get into the actual game after inserting the disk.

On the upside there is improvement in physics You have a much more direct feeling of the cars and tracks, you can almost feel the tyres rubbing against the tarmac while understeering in an ff car, and you can feel the tail wanting to skid before it actually happens with rear wheel driven cars.

I also like the race loading screens, but that's just cosmetics I would trade in anyday for better clutch simulation.

dalin80

Banned
. Now it's a walk in the park. Maybe 7 out of 10 times I end up getting gold for the first try, that's not my skill, that's how low they set the bar.

The fact that it downloaded an 1.2 GB patch when I installed the game on release day didn't even surprise me, just annoyed me, since it took more than half an hour to get into the actual game after inserting the disk.

The game has been set to baby mode to appease the ADHD casuals and to the hell with the rest of us.

As for the 1.2GB patch, that's just PD all over, don't fix any of the issues just change the intro for some rubbish about senna with (currently) no connection to the game.

Another thing I dislike is that they mixed up standard and premium cars in the dealers as far as I can tell there is no way to differentiate them. You only find out after you bought it. And since I like driving from inside view it's real annoying to find out that I just bought a standard car. Well you can actually tell by looking at the model very closely in the dealership, but that's just not the way it supposed to be.
I've seen quite a few complaints about this, I just don't get it. Snappy menus aside, putting all the cars in one list is the biggest improvement over GT5 for me. Are you seriously suggesting that the used car dealer, where you had to check constantly for cars appearing in rotation, was a better system? It basically prevented me from enjoying most of the cars in the game as I had no time to keep checking the availability of models I wanted.

You can tell a standard from a premium before you buy in GT6 - only premiums have the Gallery View.

Oh and why on earth do I still have to turn off traction control for each car individually? Why can it remember everything else but not that?
This is incorrect, it remembers all settings including traction control for all the cars in your garage. You have to set everything in Arcade Mode, licence tests, etc where you are 'borrowing' a car. But yes, I'd appreciate a global traction control setting. I wouldn't want a global ABS setting however.

On the upside there is improvement in physics You have a much more direct feeling of the cars and tracks, you can almost feel the tyres rubbing against the tarmac while understeering in an ff car, and you can feel the tail wanting to skid before it actually happens with rear wheel driven cars.
This is a big deal for a sim, not something I'd describe as "zero to no improvement".

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Another thing I dislike is that they mixed up standard and premium cars in the dealers as far as I can tell there is no way to differentiate them.

I agree with a lot of your points, but you can tell if a car is premium before buying by checking the "gallery view" (or however it's worded) button. If it's grayed out and unclickable, the car is standard.

I also wish I could set TCS to 0 as a global setting.

dc89

This has probably already been asked but what's with the BMW M4 Coupe being some sort of premium and standard hybrid!

The exterior looks really nice but it doesn't have a properly modelled interior.

:(

This has probably already been asked but what's with the BMW M4 Coupe being some sort of premium and standard hybrid!

The exterior looks really nice but it doesn't have a properly modelled interior.

:(

They haven't finished the interior yet, but wanted to put the car in the game at the same day it was unveiled by BMW, so they could get a little marketing push out of it.

On a side note, this OT seems kinda dead compared to the first two GT5 OTs.

Top Bottom