• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

M76

Banned
I've seen quite a few complaints about this, I just don't get it. Snappy menus aside, putting all the cars in one list is the biggest improvement over GT5 for me. Are you seriously suggesting that the used car dealer, where you had to check constantly for cars appearing in rotation, was a better system? It basically prevented me from enjoying most of the cars in the game as I had no time to keep checking the availability of models I wanted.
I actually liked the previous system. It felt like real classifieds, where you had to look for great bargains, so it was worth to check back every now and then. And to me that's the heart of the game, or that's what supposed to be. Buy -> Tune -> Race -> Tune more -> Race more -> Buy more .... etc Brings back the memories of Street Rod.

You can't really get into that if all you can buy is brand new cars. And they're always there for the taking.

And this reminds me that the tuning options are lacking as well compared to GT5, there are less options. But you can choose from more fancy tyres and you can put oversized wheels on your cars now, yaaay.

You can tell a standard from a premium before you buy in GT6 - only premiums have the Gallery View.
I don't even know what's that and where it is, but I'll look for it. But still wouldn't a small S / P icon next to the car in the list be more neat?

This is incorrect, it remembers all settings including traction control for all the cars in your garage. You have to set everything in Arcade Mode, licence tests, etc where you are 'borrowing' a car. But yes, I'd appreciate a global traction control setting. I wouldn't want a global ABS setting however.
It remembers for that one car. But in this game you change cars more often than underwear. So it would be really nice to preset a default that it applies to all cars that's what I meant.

This is a big deal for a sim, not something I'd describe as "zero to no improvement".
We all know that Gran Turismo only likes to call itself a sim, but it's still very far from it. It's a great arcade racer. But this is certainly a step in the right direction, I was just trying to be overly dramatic with my opening statement.

M76

Banned
The game has been set to baby mode to appease the ADHD casuals and to the hell with the rest of us.

As for the 1.2GB patch, that's just PD all over, don't fix any of the issues just change the intro for some rubbish about senna with (currently) no connection to the game.

Well that just makes me even more annoyed. I thought at least they kept working on the game after it went gold, and came up with 1.2GB worth of patches.

Ted

Wow, night racing through to sunrise in the rain at Spa. What a buzz.

On the penultimate lap I was closing in on fourth on the way down in to the bus stop but had misjudged my earlier pit so I had to stop for a fuel splash and dash. As I sat in the pits the top four cruised off and fifth through seventh made good on my error. Leaving the pits I was cursing myself until coming to the end of the Kemmel straight I see a slow moving out of fuel car...

Cutting a long story short I got third and my headset was blue with the cursing.

On a different note, still no shuffle racing. Pull your finger out PD. Online without shuffle is like roast beef without Yorkshire puddings, good but not right....

Dits

Finally got my Super License and the game has properly started. Tire degradation, fuel usage and penalties for cutting corners.

I know its how GT does it but it is really bad game design, why not just enable all this before?

Well that just makes me even more annoyed. I thought at least they kept working on the game after it went gold, and came up with 1.2GB worth of patches.
The patches contain the DLC cars. And they are working on the game still. Expect similar changes as GT5.

IISANDERII

I feel that this game has zero to no improvements over GT5.

I hate the fact that using a manual clutch is still a disadvantage and not an advantage. It's just impossible to shift quick enough with it, because you have to completely depress the clutch and then start to shift, and you can only start releasing the pedal when you completed the shift. Otherwise you end up in Neutral, and have to start the whole depress shift release process from start while loosing a ton of time. It's totally unrealistic. And it's exactly the same as it was in GT5.

But moving on, at least GT5 presented some challenges. In GT3,GT4,GT5, but even in the PS1 games GT1, and GT2 which I played on emulators, It was really really hard to achieve gold in license tests. Now it's a walk in the park. Maybe 7 out of 10 times I end up getting gold for the first try, that's not my skill, that's how low they set the bar.

Same goes for races, I haven't gotten to the professional categories yet, but until now, every race had an insanely high PP limit. They're easily winnable with cars that have 100 less pp than the limit.

The only real challenge in the game so far were the driving missions where you have a fixed car and target, but even those have problems. In many cases I end up getting gold, while loosing to the opponents. They should have disabled catch-up for these. Well honestly they should've disabled it entirely, I hate that damn feature. You race on the edge for five laps, but you make a mistake in the last corner and bam you loose, because no matter how quick you are, you can't build gaps.

Another thing I dislike is that they mixed up standard and premium cars in the dealers as far as I can tell there is no way to differentiate them. You only find out after you bought it. And since I like driving from inside view it's real annoying to find out that I just bought a standard car. Well you can actually tell by looking at the model very closely in the dealership, but that's just not the way it supposed to be.

Oh and why on earth do I still have to turn off traction control for each car individually? Why can it remember everything else but not that?

The fact that it downloaded an 1.2 GB patch when I installed the game on release day didn't even surprise me, just annoyed me, since it took more than half an hour to get into the actual game after inserting the disk.

On the upside there is improvement in physics You have a much more direct feeling of the cars and tracks, you can almost feel the tyres rubbing against the tarmac while understeering in an ff car, and you can feel the tail wanting to skid before it actually happens with rear wheel driven cars.

I also like the race loading screens, but that's just cosmetics I would trade in anyday for better clutch simulation.
A 5 lap mission race? Which one is that?

Anyway, the real challenge is racing with human opponents. It's brilliant fun.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I don't even know what's that and where it is, but I'll look for it. But still wouldn't a small S / P icon next to the car in the list be more neat?

Click a car in a dealership, the button is there above the purchase button, below the select colour button. You can't really miss it.

I actually liked the previous system. It felt like real classifieds, where you had to look for great bargains, so it was worth to check back every now and then. And to me that's the heart of the game, or that's what supposed to be. Buy -> Tune -> Race -> Tune more -> Race more -> Buy more .... etc Brings back the memories of Street Rod.

You can't really get into that if all you can buy is brand new cars. And they're always there for the taking.
It's a nice concept, but in practice just frustrating. I'm not sure if they cycled it by rarity of the real car, but that would explain why I could never find the really interesting cars on the list. I wanted to drive the Yellowbird at the 'Ring. It was one of the main reasons why I bought the game. It never appeared, or I missed it when it did, so I gave up and never got to drive it in GT5. Ridiculous. By all means, make rare cars expensive. I will happily earn credits to get hold of them. But one layer of artificial restriction is enough, I don't need them to be expensive as well as hidden in a rotation. By contrast, I was able to purchase it as soon as I made enough money in GT6, and it's more fun than any Premium car I own.

This idea of classifieds has some appeal, but as discussed in this thread, the 'ownership' of cars in GT is incredibly limited and fairly pointless. If there was genuine, continuous damage/wear tracking for each car, and you could sell on these cars as 'used' and they went into some global classified system that would be fantastic. But even with 1200 cars there isn't enough to make this interesting compared to browsing classifieds in reality. And the whole concept is flawed anyway - if you've got enough money in real life, you can find whatever car you want, at any time. The only time you can't do that is if the car is incredibly rare and the few examples remaining are tied up in private collections and only appear in auctions once every 10 years or so. For example, the Ferrari 250GTO. It's very difficult to buy one of those in real life, even if you have unlimited money. And yet.... it's a Premium model in GT, and therefore would not be part of this 'used car' system and is available to buy at any time.

Same can be said for a huge number of old cars modelled as Premium in GT5. It is only the fact they are modelled in higher detail that they appear as 'new' in the main dealership. These old cars would never be available 'new' in reality, yet you can by them at any time. By the same token, there are some newer models which you can probably still buy 'new' in reality in the 'used car' section of GT5, simply because they weren't modelled to Premium quality. It's an artificial system, and makes no sense. The split was only due to model quality, not the age of the car - if you wanted it more like real classifieds, Premium and Standard models would be mixed together in a 'used car' section too.

emiliano

Among the miriad of bug/problems mentioned until now, there are a couple of little stupid things that annoy me a lot:
-The garage screen doesn't remember the last used order setting, it always resets to "last used".
-The music in the pre-race menu can't be configured, this has forced me to mute the music menu entirely, just because I can't stand Daiki Kasho's songs.
-In the car settings, some configuration in the weight and power management sections will change globally across all the tabs. I'm still not sure if this problem affects all the cars or just some.

Anyway, I'm having really good time just running all my cars at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, without map radar. It's tough but I've learned to adjust my driving in relation to what i see.

Does the login bonus reset each week or something? I was at 170% (or whatever) yesterday and now it's at... 130%??

edit: unless it's some time zone bullshit or something like that. Should be synced to my time zone though, I would hope.

dc89

They haven't finished the interior yet, but wanted to put the car in the game at the same day it was unveiled by BMW, so they could get a little marketing push out of it.

On a side note, this OT seems kinda dead compared to the first two GT5 OTs.

The GAF photo thread it also really quiet. :(

M76

Banned
It's a nice concept, but in practice just frustrating. I'm not sure if they cycled it by rarity of the real car, but that would explain why I could never find the really interesting cars on the list. I wanted to drive the Yellowbird at the 'Ring. It was one of the main reasons why I bought the game. It never appeared, or I missed it when it did, so I gave up and never got to drive it in GT5. Ridiculous. By all means, make rare cars expensive. I will happily earn credits to get hold of them. But one layer of artificial restriction is enough, I don't need them to be expensive as well as hidden in a rotation. By contrast, I was able to purchase it as soon as I made enough money in GT6, and it's more fun than any Premium car I own.

This idea of classifieds has some appeal, but as discussed in this thread, the 'ownership' of cars in GT is incredibly limited and fairly pointless. If there was genuine, continuous damage/wear tracking for each car, and you could sell on these cars as 'used' and they went into some global classified system that would be fantastic. But even with 1200 cars there isn't enough to make this interesting compared to browsing classifieds in reality. And the whole concept is flawed anyway - if you've got enough money in real life, you can find whatever car you want, at any time. The only time you can't do that is if the car is incredibly rare and the few examples remaining are tied up in private collections and only appear in auctions once every 10 years or so. For example, the Ferrari 250GTO. It's very difficult to buy one of those in real life, even if you have unlimited money. And yet.... it's a Premium model in GT, and therefore would not be part of this 'used car' system and is available to buy at any time.

Same can be said for a huge number of old cars modelled as Premium in GT5. It is only the fact they are modelled in higher detail that they appear as 'new' in the main dealership. These old cars would never be available 'new' in reality, yet you can by them at any time. By the same token, there are some newer models which you can probably still buy 'new' in reality in the 'used car' section of GT5, simply because they weren't modelled to Premium quality. It's an artificial system, and makes no sense. The split was only due to model quality, not the age of the car - if you wanted it more like real classifieds, Premium and Standard models would be mixed together in a 'used car' section too.

Well I didn't say that system was perfect either. I just liked the idea of classifieds, yes the drawbacks you mention are there. I was looking for the yellow bird for a long time in GT5 as well. But when I finally got it it was all the more rewarding. Except I actually hated driving it, it handled like a pig :) The system that was actually good that was in GT4, where cars were really split like that. You could buy old ones used and modern cars as new. I think GT5 was a step back from GT4 in many aspects. Actually until now the first game on the latest console generation was always inferior to the earlier game. So GT2 is way better than GT3. GT4 is way better than GT5. So I had really high hopes for GT6 but It doesn't feel as big an improvement as the earlier games showed on ps1 and ps2.

To me GT4 is still the best game of the series, with GT2 a clear second (racing mods for all cars imagine that)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Still looks too fat to me, in your shot it looks like they've taken the tread texture of the 3rd tyre in my picture, flipped it and whacked it on the sport tyre.

quick and dirty shop:

granturismo6_18o6pln.jpg

My WR Subarus need that tuning part Pirelli tyre in GT5 Prologue quality banderas.gif
That is horribly thin. Now upon googling, they're pretty thin. Wow.

ibkZvomvkvYr3e.jpg

sCHOCOLATE

...I don't even know what's that and where it is, but I'll look for it. But still wouldn't a small S / P icon next to the car in the list be more neat?...
The next time you visit the GT Dealership look closely at the car images.

Standard car dealership pictures have tinted(opaque) windshields. You can't see the dashboard and steering wheel in the dealership image.

Premium car dealership pictures have visible interiors.

Haven't paid attention to the convertible vehicle images to know if it's consistent for them as well.

nicolajNN

What were the prizes, besides the credits, for the Mito and Round 2 Anniversary cars seasonal events? Went to do them today, but apparently missed the registration periods.

Man, the GT6 physics go to shit just like GT5 when it comes to modeling downforce. Good ol' full down force always faster than any other setting. It no longer effects your PP rating as well. I was faster with full down force with a NASCAR around Indy than a drafting pack, simply because I could corner full speed and full downforce barely adds any drag to your car. Well it certainly makes setting up cars easier. Put all wings to the max for mega grip with very little top speed trade off.

Dead Man

I think if they had turned down the utter rarity of some of the cars and kept gifting available for all cars then it would have been a much nicer implementation of the system. I can't support keeping the ucd as it was in 5.

amar212

I think if they had turned down the utter rarity of some of the cars and kept gifting available for all cars then it would have been a much nicer implementation of the system. I can't support keeping the ucd as it was in 5.

Introduction of the OCD - Online Collector Dealership - solved all issues regarding UCD system IMO

darkwing

Finally got my Super License and the game has properly started. Tire degradation, fuel usage and penalties for cutting corners.

I know its how GT does it but it is really bad game design, why not just enable all this before?

I don't get this either

Dead Man

Introduction of the OCD - Online Collector Dealership - solved all issues regarding UCD system IMO

You mean the OCD in 5? It certainly helped, especially always having a formula car in there. It also helped since it was often keyed to the seasonal, which was clever. But there were some cars which were still damned hard to find.

Kukuk

Banned
Man, I'm having the hardest time driving my Ford GT. It just wants to flip every time I get knocked by another car. Not spin out, actually roll like a barrel. It's getting kind of old, I've had to restart a race like 10 times because AI drivers just tap me, and the car goes into zero gravity mode. I haven't had this problem with any other car...

I easily golded all of them....but the X1 challenge....damn I still didn't manage to finish ONE run. I get disqualified after the first corner. It's so damn fast and the road too narrow.

X1 isn't too bad, just keep practicing. In my opinion the Quattro is the worst.

Toxa

over here

Lotus Elise Bathurst

YXEcf.png

Reproduce that famous race an win it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmIKKZv0J7w

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
When we'll get enough players this time

Allowed cars:
Lotus Elise 111R RM '04

Tuning allowed:
no
Tyre Selection
TBA​
Track:

Mount Panorama​
Laps:
5 laps
Pit Stops:
Yes
Damage
Light​
Assists
TCS, ABS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (0 / 16):
  • 01 -
  • 02 -
  • 03 -
  • 04 -
  • 05 -
  • 06 -
  • 07 -
  • 08 -
  • 09 -
  • 10 -
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 -
  • R2 -
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:
Always make sure at least one pair of wheels are inside the white lines! Using the run-off areas as "long-cuts" or short-cuts is not allowed and will be strictly enforced.
Missing a brake point and thus overshooting into run-off areas is ok, but when you rejoin the track you must wait until cars close behind you has passed.
Missing a brake point is a mistake and should lead to you having less speed out the corner, not more.​

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.
important.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735653&highlight=gran+turismo

Vorg

Banned
I played this at a kiosk today and holy shit at the incredibly distracting dithering on those trees. I hope they patch that, because the game looked great otherwise.

I played this at a kiosk today and holy shit at the incredible distracting dithering on those trees. I hope they patch that, because the game looked great otherwise.
I imagine they wouldn't have allowed that dithering to happen in the first place if it was avoidable - it is apparent that they have made tradeoffs and compromises in certain aspects of the rendering in order to improve others. Overall, I think they've been successful - it generally looks better than GT5 and is more consistent in quality. It's unlikely they can squeeze any more juice out of the PS3 at this late stage - the remaining work to be done on GT6 is to add those features that were promised, plus bug fixes and new DLC (paid and free). I suspect most of PD's graphics engine wizards will have been concentrating on PS4 for some time already - I'm not holding out any hope for significant graphical improvements in GT6.

I played this at a kiosk today and holy shit at the incredibly distracting dithering on those trees. I hope they patch that, because the game looked great otherwise.

It doesn't look nice, but imo it's easier on the eyes than the extensive flickering most other games have on their alpha test vegetation.

benzy

It's noticeably worse at 720p than 1080p. I wonder what the display was set to.

Finally back from my trip and started playing. Not feeling this game so far. Carrear mode is the same old shit, lunar missions are a bad joke thrown at me and online without matchmaking is crap.

I''m sure it will get better with time and Neogaf/GTPlanet leagues, but this barely feels like and expansion pack for GT5. FFS they couldn't fix the clutch in this game and yet they waste time with random crap.

bud

i remember when gt5 came that, kaz would tweet every now and then to answer questions about possible updated and whatnot. he's not doing that this time around; he's only tweeting whenever a new trailer comes out.

IISANDERII

Fuck the Matterhorn. Every race has people piled up into the barriers or spinning right in the middle of the track. Haven't seen a single race there without carnage.

It's like nothing in this game is ready. The biggest feature they could have to make our lives a little easier (matchmaking) we still don't have any idea if and or when we will get it.

I'm losing patience with having to switch cameras everytime i turn the system on, and with changing the TCS settings for every fucking car i get because the game refuses to know my preferences.

They can't fix some bugs that are in the game since the 90's, i'm just really pissed at some choices for this game.

It's like nothing in this game is ready. The biggest feature they could have to make our lives a little easier (matchmaking) we still don't have any idea if and or when we will get it.

I'm losing patience with having to switch cameras everytime i turn the system on, and with changing the TCS settings for every fucking car i get because the game refuses to know my preferences.

They can't fix some bugs that are in the game since the 90's, i'm just really pissed at some choices for this game.

Welcome to the pain. Overall it is just another bullshit effort from PD. Head in the fucking sand. Just trying to finish it off and platinum it and probably will never touch it again. Hope I can finish it before the next season of iRacing starts.

To help ease the pain, two words. Yellow Bird.

XJF

I like the Mercedes Benz VGT, it has crazy grip thanks to its fat tires. The race car versions of the McLaren F1 and Corvette are great too.

Ill have to try the Benz VGT. I have the F1 Stealth Edition but it's just not getting the job done. Used the LCC Rocket '07 for the Willow Springs race in the Super set and killed it.

Not even sure why I'm still playing this game, since I beat the World Championships and don't really feel like battling with the AI anymore, but: any tips for setting up the Veyron on the S-5 license test? That car is such an asshole I want to set it on fire.

As an aside, Gran Turismo 6 would be a much, much better game if you had the option during/after a race to pull everyone into the pits and pull out, like, a flamethrower or a rocket launcher or something. Destroying the other cars over and over again would be so therapeutic after they fuck you over for the hundredth time.

nasanu

Banned
Man, the GT6 physics go to shit just like GT5 when it comes to modeling downforce. Good ol' full down force always faster than any other setting. It no longer effects your PP rating as well. I was faster with full down force with a NASCAR around Indy than a drafting pack, simply because I could corner full speed and full downforce barely adds any drag to your car. Well it certainly makes setting up cars easier. Put all wings to the max for mega grip with very little top speed trade off.

NASCAR?.. Try with a car that actually has downforce. LMPs around La Sarthe are faster with lower downforce due to the long straights. There is a considerable difference it top speed depending on the downforce.

Also how did you test, what slipstream setting did you use? Plus your knowledge of GT5 is not what you think it is. Cars under 600pp were faster with no wing, above that faster with one. Though less skilled drivers were always faster with more downforce.

Top Bottom