• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

IISANDERII

If you look at the info page for the Ferrari Daytona in GT6, it explains the name.
Is the Forumula Gran Turismo worth buying? Or are there any other F1 cars available?

Also thanks to the person who mentioned the Nismo GT-R GT3 was a joy to a drive - think it's one of my new favorites.
I was wondering about this too: Is there even a series or a race where the Formula GT is used?

Am I the only person that prefers the R8 & Z4 GT3 cars. I just find the GT-R to feel like a tank after driving the others.

Yeah, I think there was one or two races where I switched to one of the GT-R GT3 cars because it had a higher PP rating, and I did miserably. Z4 was way more my style. Not totally sure why, GT-R might have had more understeer perhaps, but I felt more confident throwing the Z4 into corners.

Is the Forumula Gran Turismo worth buying? Or are there any other F1 cars available?
It's worth a buy versus buying a few more of the LMP cars that are also expensive that might be tempting you. Open-wheel is just a different experience. And endless fun. GT5 had the Ferrari 2007 and F10 (F1) but those are gone now for I assume some licensing reason.

Before leaping into the Formula GT I'd suggest working your way up to the driving physics. The Red Bull X2014 Jr is an AMAZING car to learn with. Just remember to turn all the assists off. It's easier to drive than you might think. If you enjoy that you'll enjoy the Formula GT. No harm in turning any assists back on for that thing, though. It's a beast. It's harder to handle than any of the others by far.

In terms of gaps in performance I'd say that 125cc Kart > Red Bull Jr > Formula GT > Red Bull X2010/11 are equally large and require a whole lot of driving time to get right. Even getting the later cars around for an entire clean lap feels like an accomplishment and it gets more and more satisfying the better you get. If you're struggling with the Formula GT tune down the power to 50% and add weight until you get more comfortable.

ruttyboy

So it appears both you and Amar think the ABS setting affects the entire grip characteristic of the cars, whether you're using the brakes or not. I haven't tested it extensively myself, but it hasn't become apparent yet. Anyone else notice this?

I've noticed this also. I've gone through the whole game with no ABS, and then when I turned it on in that Anniversary Seasonal to try and tame the Huayara a bit I could tell immediately, it felt like a form of traction control as not only could I mash the brake pedal but accelerating out of corners was much easier. The whole car felt more stable.

amar212

ABS is not ABS, it is braking assist only named by common reallife assist. And it does much more than assisting at braking, yes. In the same way ASM is doing more than lateral stabilization and TCS more than a traction controlling. SRF obliterates all of them since it practially delivers simple GT4 physics. Throw in Active Steering for wheel users and you have beautiful console simcade.

Now turn everything off, take stock Enzo on Sports Hard tyres and go to Willow Springs 20 minute race in S class. Another game.

BTW I so love Racing tires in GT6. Finally a proper tire and not a lateral G cheat.

I've noticed this also. I've gone through the whole game with no ABS, and then when I turned it on in that Anniversary Seasonal to try and tame the Huayara a bit I could tell immediately, it felt like a form of traction control as not only could I mash the brake pedal but accelerating out of corners was much easier. The whole car felt more stable.

You're sure that it might not be not due to less overheating of the tires after breaking when ABS is turned on..?
Just did a quick check myself. Up until now i always played with ABS on 1 (all other driving aids off). Honestly i didn't feel a difference in accelerating out of corners (at least not in corners that didn't require heavy breaking beforehand).

You're sure that it might not be not due to less overheating of the tires after breaking when ABS is turned on..?
Just did a quick check myself. Up until now i always played with ABS on 1 (all other driving aids off). Honestly i didn't feel a difference in accelerating out of corners (at least not in corners that didn't require heavy breaking beforehand).

You aren't alone. I don't get Amars magical transformation either. GT5 the 1 to 0 difference was much more noticeable. GT6 is seems to drastically vary from car to car and what tires you have on those cars. Some cars ABS 0 is complete broken shit and you have to turn down the brake strength to mush to get them to not lock up at the smallest dab of the brake. For the majority of the cars I drove, ABS 0 meant nothing more than being able to lock up your tires under braking at some point with very little feedback between near threshold braking, threshold braking and then finally the lock up with the tires screeching, having to full lift every time to unlock your tires which is the biggest offense to me with ABS 0, and spending way to much time fucking with the awful brake settings GT6 decided on where both your "bias" and braking strengths are combined into one shitty settings adjustment. Lastly, the FFB and sound feedback for threshold braking are awful making ABS 0 the same numb simplified braking experience as ABS 1. It is just retraining muscle memory to hold my brakes at 55% opposed to 90%. (G27 wheel and pedals here) You can definitely spend a bunch of time getting a little bit more out of the physics at ABS 0 for some cars, but this notion that it unlocks the true glory of GT6 is bullshit. The braking and physics still have a ton of issues no matter your ABS setting and the way GT deals with brakes/braking pales in comparison to some basic racing sims that came out over a decade ago. You shouldn't need a cheat sheet to make the braking system less broken. GT6 is still not great in almost all of the areas GT5 was not great in terms of tires, braking, transmission modeling, tire temp modeling, wear, tuning. Blah blah. Its fine though. The suspension was improved for sure. I had my fun with license tests, coffee breaks, missions races and the Goodwood shit but this isn't some revelation in driving experience, just another tiny step forward for PD with several other steps back or to the side. We got those real time star charts though guys, so it wasn't all for nothing. Sorry to continue to harp on that but I just still love that shit made the cut but not things that might have made GT6 a game changer like GPS track generator. I fear a lot of these promised systems are going to never make it to GT6 and will be lumped in some PS4 prolgue game to get the hype going on that console. Not the worst thing in the world, but the lack of info regarding why we still don't have simple Jan 1st redbull events yet, no indication of a DLC schedule or what will be in the DLC is a bit worrying.

amar212

I don't get Amars magical transformation either. ... but this notion that it unlocks the true glory of GT6 is bullshit.

I never said it is "magical transformation? I simply said - and I still stand by that - how full physics can't be experienced with brake assist - tentatively called "ABS" - enabled.

And fact how the actual feel of ABS0 is more natural on less powerful cars in GT6 compared to GT5 is only an improvement (I had a non-ABS Ford Fiesta when I was young and that car was perfect to drive even without ABS - only times when lack of ABS was noticeable was when braking heavy on the wet road IIRC).

Cars not having ABS in real life is not like driving a coffin, it is something that automotive industry coped with until very recently. However, real-life ABS absolutely does wonderful things when braking hard from high-speeds or on wet/icey surfaces, however even then it is not omnipotent at all - I don't know how many here had a chance to do a emergency heavy braking from high-speeds even on dry surfaces with ABS-enabled vehicle, but I can tell you it is not a nice experience by any chance.

And even ABS1 in GT6 is omnipotent.

So, yes, you can call it "bullshit", you have right to, no probs there. But it does not equate to "braking assist in GT6 that is tentatively called "ABS" delivers totally different driving experience than driving with that particular assist OFF". When you have ABS ON, the particular assist influences braking, braking threshold, braking distance and connected "behavior" of tires (heating and grip), suspension (longitudinal and lateral movement) and chassis. So IMO, it is a different experience.

Magical - probably not - but different - absolutely. As I already said to many times in this tread, Cizeta V16 on LeMans on Sports Hard in Supercars Festival. ABS ON and ABS OFF are two absolutely different cars. ABS ON car is heavy 80's supercar with heavy ass and lots of understeer when cornering, while ABS OFF car is a magnificent mean machine one can be feared to drive under full load where only the most subtle movements and full concentration can deliver a full thrill once the proper and expected oversteer and tire-torque-load becomes a reality because of the ABS0.

To each his own I guess.

I never said it is "magical transformation? I simply said - and I still stand by that - how full physics can't be experienced with brake assist - tentatively called "ABS" - enabled.

And fact how the actual feel of ABS0 is more natural on less powerful cars in GT6 compared to GT5 is only an improvement (I had a non-ABS Ford Fiesta when I was young and that car was perfect to drive even without ABS - only times when lack of ABS was noticeable was when braking heavy on the wet road IIRC).

Cars not having ABS in real life is not like driving a coffin, it is something that automotive industry coped with until very recently. However, real-life ABS absolutely does wonderful things when braking hard from high-speeds or on wet/icey surfaces, however even then it is not omnipotent at all - I don't know how many here had a chance to do a emergency heavy braking from high-speeds even on dry surfaces with ABS-enabled vehicle, but I can tell you it is not a nice experience by any chance.

And even ABS1 in GT6 is omnipotent.

So, yes, you can call it "bullshit", you have right to, no probs there. But it does not equate to "braking assist in GT6 that is tentatively called "ABS" delivers totally different driving experience than driving with that particular assist OFF". When you have ABS ON, the particular assist influences braking, braking threshold, braking distance and connected "behavior" of tires (heating and grip), suspension (longitudinal and lateral movement) and chassis. So IMO, it is a different experience.

Magical - probably not - but different - absolutely. As I already said to many times in this tread, Cizeta V16 on LeMans on Sports Hard in Supercars Festival. ABS ON and ABS OFF are two absolutely different cars. ABS ON car is heavy 80's supercar with heavy ass and lots of understeer when cornering, while ABS OFF car is a magnificent mean machine one can be feared to drive under full load where only the most subtle movements and full concentration can deliver a full thrill once the proper and expected oversteer and tire-torque-load becomes a reality because of the ABS0.

To each his own I guess.

First, I 100% agree with you on the ABS not being "ABS" and just another abstracted GT assist. That is fact. In regards to everything else, I don't know if it is our different pedals or the way we drive but ABS 1 in GT6 is much loser than GT5 and the jump to ABS 0 yielded much smaller corner entry rotation (the idea that ABS is affecting corner exit acceleration is insane to me, but who knows. Never put anything past PD) than in GT5 where ABS was full on ASM it seemed. As for the Cietza, perhaps you love the ABS 0 feel with that car because it is already loose as all hell, ABS 1 or 0. I also can't help but think there might be a placebo-like effect going on with ABS 0 sometimes or just by the nature of being more mindful of your braking foot instead of being able to thoughtlessly hold it at 100% braking before the need to trail brake just makes you more aware of the cars behavior once you tick it to ABS 0. The biggest tell for me with ABS 0 v ABS 1 was after trying it on a bunch of cars when you first posted, I now have a mix of ABS 1 and 0 settings across cars and I forget to change some back when I play now and I don't even notice the difference until I go to change tires or something. Like... oh shit, ABS was on 0 with that car still? That was the point in which I just stopped fussing with it and am just trying to grind through the rest of the events and see how DLC, Seasonals, Online Features and that god damn GPS track creator pan out. Otherwise the progression of "unlocking" GT physics where the lower powered street cars feel great and the RM,LMS etc cars on racing slicks still feel terrible with nonsense downforce etc was the same as in GT5. I really really wish the S level events an all the other high level events didn't always equate to 600 PP or higher cars. Why can't there be 350 PP S class events damn it! So much more fun driving street cars.

Kukuk

Banned
What is the best and cheapest car for the historic racing cup? I think all the cars in opponents list are 20million. :(

I'm assuming that's the International B one? I was about to recommend the GT40 MKI, because I thought I did it. Turned out I didn't, so I tried to do it. Nope. Car is too fucking slow off the line.

So I guess I could use help on this one, too.

I also can't help but think there might be a placebo-like effect going on with ABS 0 sometimes or just by the nature of being more mindful of your braking foot instead of being able to thoughtlessly hold it at 100%
Interesting theory. I'm somewhat inclined to agree but it's impossible for me to really experiment with since using the L2 trigger for braking isn't precise enough and the huge majority of turns it's impossible to variate. You lock up completely regardless of car and it's impossibly frustrating. On a real pedal set I'm sure it's quite interesting. Other games seem to get this right. In the current F1 series I realized it was faster (if not a bit more dangerous) to carefully modulate the throttle with TC off/low than having it higher and using 100% as much as possible.

One thing I've noticed that show that ABS isn't invincible-- On the higher-performance (generally touring/racing with meatier brakes) cars when you seriously push the things you'll eventually overheat the fronts. "Overheat" meaning the color never returns to any blue and it always has some orange in it. The more laps you do the more stubborn it gets and will never go away with idling for several minutes. Doing some time trials I find anything after lap 3-4 hard to get a fastest time on because the front washes away easily. Super-evident at Spa. Turns 8 through 14 all rough.

I really really wish the S level events an all the other high level events didn't always equate to 600 PP or higher cars. Why can't there be 350 PP S class events damn it! So much more fun driving street cars.
Oh god, so much this. The Kei cars are so, so much fun to throw around. GT5 had a few events and some seasonals using them. Each has something they're "good" or "bad" at (relative term at that low performance) and what it means on certain tracks. All drive a bit differently and the diversity is awesome. The Cappuccino will always win, mind you!

ruttyboy

Nah, even moving side to side on the straights it felt like the weight transfer was muted somewhat. At first I thought I must be imagining it, but I've since tried ABS again and the car always seems to be more 'grippy' than without it.

muteki

I'm assuming that's the International B one? I was about to recommend the GT40 MKI, because I thought I did it. Turned out I didn't, so I tried to do it. Nope. Car is too fucking slow off the line.

This championship was a mess in GT5 and it still is in GT6, but I just completed it. I did the credit glitch so I used the Ferrari 330, but it was still a challenge. The AI in the Toyota 7 was extremely fast in my races and is only 1.9 million, in comparison.

In GT5 I tried using a fully tuned Countach but was never successful.

I haven't had the chance to confirm it but when watching some replays after racing with my Yellow Bird the other night, I noticed my brake lights flickering on and off at some points of the corner where I am 99% sure I wouldn't not be touching the brake even for balance. I should have gone back and see what it show as my in car inputs. Could this be part of the magic ABS assist? Playback error of logged data since GT recreates the replay "live"? Curious if anyone else noticed this.

ruttyboy

I haven't had the chance to confirm it but when watching some replays after racing with my Yellow Bird the other night, I noticed my brake lights flickering on and off at some points of the corner where I am 99% sure I wouldn't not be touching the brake even for balance. I should have gone back and see what it show as my in car inputs. Could this be part of the magic ABS assist? Playback error of logged data since GT recreates the replay "live"? Curious if anyone else noticed this.

I've seen AI cars do that countless times in live racing so it could be.

I've seen AI cars do that countless times in live racing so it could be.

Totally. But they are likely actually braking since they go so slow at the apex and brake even at corner exit. I have definitely been accelerating out of a corner, closing on a AI car ready to pass the second I am straight, and they just brake and slow down so I smash in to them. The cornering speeds are maddeningly slow for AI. Wondering if that flickering brake part isn't so much the AI micro managing braking to maintain a predetermined speed or something like the ABS side effect. Need more data points.

The Stig

Totally. But they are likely actually braking since they go so slow at the apex and brake even at corner exit. I have definitely been accelerating out of a corner, closing on a AI car ready to pass the second I am straight, and they just brake and slow down so I smash in to them. .

all the fucking time.

every session.

remember in gt1/2 when you could do qualifying? and actually do a standing start?

i miss that badly.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
This championship was a mess in GT5 and it still is in GT6, but I just completed it. I did the credit glitch so I used the Ferrari 330, but it was still a challenge. The AI in the Toyota 7 was extremely fast in my races and is only 1.9 million, in comparison.

In GT5 I tried using a fully tuned Countach but was never successful.

The Ferrari 365 GTB4 '71 (Daytona :p) was a good one for me. Very quick and stable.

ruttyboy

Totally. But they are likely actually braking since they go so slow at the apex and brake even at corner exit. I have definitely been accelerating out of a corner, closing on a AI car ready to pass the second I am straight, and they just brake and slow down so I smash in to them. The cornering speeds are maddeningly slow for AI. Wondering if that flickering brake part isn't so much the AI micro managing braking to maintain a predetermined speed or something like the ABS side effect. Need more data points.

My guess is that ABS is really just traction control using the brakes to slow wheels down, (hence the flickering), as opposed to TC which is traction control limiting the power at the wheels. But as you say, who knows?

For those asking about which car to use, 90% of the time, the answer is the Toyota 7. Seriously I think I've cleared more than half of the single player with it, just limiting the power as needs be, it's basically unstoppable.

a03_11_2_2_2.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if it is due to limited replay fidelity rather than anything fishy going on with the ABS.

Kukuk

Banned
Just spent like half an hour just toying with my Ford GT. It can do silly stuff like go over 100MPH in reverse, and top out at 312MPH (though it's a long climb up the gears...)

I wouldn't be surprised if it is due to limited replay fidelity rather than anything fishy going on with the ABS.

That is what I am guessing is the case, it is just that the brake flickering looked exactly like the AI brake flickering as you are racing live. I need to test it by recording 3rd person cam live, and then replay. See how they match up.

Zeth

I've hit 299mph in the FXX thanks to others mentioning it. Tinkering with ballast weight and gear ratios but I never managed 300.

Purchased the Formula GT, and it seems pretty fun. I know it's not Premium but it has a fairly detailed interior/wheel (probably because there are no windows to tint) - only wish it had working tach LEDs. I think I managed a 1:48 at Spa with no assists after a 4 or 5 laps. I'll have to really put some time into it though; it's really fun. It's a shame it's too powerful for most of the single player races, even with 50% power limiter. Definitely more lively than the Redbull juniors.

I've hit 299mph in the FXX thanks to others mentioning it. Tinkering with ballast weight and gear ratios but I never managed 300.

Purchased the Formula GT, and it seems pretty fun. I know it's not Premium but it has a fairly detailed interior/wheel (probably because there are no windows to tint) - only wish it had working tach LEDs. I think I managed a 1:48 at Spa with no assists after a 4 or 5 laps. I'll have to really put some time into it though; it's really fun. It's a shame it's too powerful for most of the single player races, even with 50% power limiter. Definitely more lively than the Redbull juniors.

I hit 317. Drafting of course.... but I hit it.

Anyway...

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threa...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"How turning off all aids made me a better, faster driver."

Steroyd

Whats the PP limit and what year does it have to be? I haven't done that yet.

yup IB, 1979, 750PP.

Murdered it with the Toyota 7 for 1.9 million, and the car I got for all starring, the IB races was the Lamborghini Diablo 98' man that car takes me back to when I played one of the early Need for Speeds.

Your brake shouldnt flicker, i had a similar problem with csp pedals, and it was load sensor problem, maybe your pedals arent working properlly.

My guess is that ABS is really just traction control using the brakes to slow wheels down, (hence the flickering), as opposed to TC which is traction control limiting the power at the wheels. But as you say, who knows?

For those asking about which car to use, 90% of the time, the answer is the Toyota 7. Seriously I think I've cleared more than half of the single player with it, just limiting the power as needs be, it's basically unstoppable.

a03_11_2_2_2.jpg
How much does it cost?

God Damn. I just realized I've not been turning TC off on each car. I turned it off on the first race and never remembered it doesn't carry across cars.

I never altered anything on pedals regarding moving rods, they are default.

I really do not remember Silverstone event, it was not challenging as LeMans I suppose :)

Here, I exported a replay of the Cizeta on LeMans race, full stock car (no oil change), all aids OFF, ABS OFF, driven from the cockpit. Sports Hard compound, AI drives Sports Soft I think? Brake balance was 7 (front) / 1 (rear).

It is not 100% clean run, I bumped the FXX at the end, but if I didn't miss that braking point I would prorbably win. Also, the 612 bumped me earlier, so I didn't have an urge to restart because it was not my aggressive move.

IIRC You have to unpack it on the USB and copy it on the PS3 in order to get the main replay icon under the Game Save data in the GT6 XMB "folder" - and you will be bale to watch it in your GT6 Library/Replays.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2iw746qzx7romra/PS3.zip

sorry for late reply, thanks for the replay will check it out

anddo0

it was annoying me for a while. instead of braking, just back off the throttle and if you must brake just tap it

Annoying, frustrating.. It's not even racing. I feel more pressure during these "races" than licenses test. If you hit the wall and have to reverse, race over. The karts spin out too easily, they're twitchy as hell. If you don't drive a near perfect race you're not winning, playing catch up in karts is near impossible. I understand single races where the restart button exist. But it was a bonehead move by PD to make these series races.

Watevaman

Annoying, frustrating.. It's not even racing. I feel more pressure during these "races" than licenses test. If you hit the wall and have to reverse, race over. The karts spin out too easily, they're twitchy as hell. If you don't drive a near perfect race you're not winning, playing catch up in karts is near impossible. I understand single races where the restart button exist. But it was a bonehead move by PD to make these series races.

welcome to simulation

real karts are not easy:

karting_by_watevaman-d6beeqa.gif

anddo0

welcome to simulation

real karts are not easy:

karting_by_watevaman-d6beeqa.gif

lol. I driven karts before. It's just frustrating in this game. I've been at it since around 5:50 pm est. I finally golded the event ( gt kart championship 125) a few minutes ago. I've read the next kart event is even trickier. I can't wait :rolleyes.gif:

TTG

Finally got around to buying the Formula GT car, the transition to GT6 has not been kind to it. It was never anywhere as fun as the Ferrari F1 cars in GT5, but now it's just an on rails monster. How is it that I simply never get oversteer unless I'm intentionally forcing it(by inducing a slip angle when braking on the way into a corner) in a 935hp car? Turn up the downforce and you'll get the occasional insane, Red Bull-esque, lateral G in a turn that will light up the outside front tire to full smoke... and you'll still be perfectly stable if you just keep your foot in it.

It's still fun. Those moments when you have to steer, downshift 5 gears, get off the throttle to full brake and back on full throttle all in a quarter second are fun. I'm gonna go try it in Monaco, it's nice that it's not frustrating anymore, but I sort of miss the terror and challenge that it was in GT5.

I find myself having high hopes for the Red Bull standard car. I need something to replace the Ferraris, those were such a blast. You could steer your way out of trouble and the whole balance of the car was so rewarding to drive quickly.

Kukuk

Banned
Good lord, never realized what a monster the Toyota 7 was. I used it a little bit on GT5, but not really all that much. I feel like I actually missed out on something great, now.

On the historic racing cup races I'm coming out like 15+ seconds ahead.

EDIT: Hah, on the last race I came out 30 seconds ahead.

Zeth

Is there a better way to grind credits than the Redbull Junior thing? The credit exploit was patched, right?

Top Bottom