• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Kukuk

Banned
By tweaking the transmission, using nitrous, going down hill, and utilizing slipstream, I was able to get my Ford GT to go this fast:
kn8x.jpg

And I think I might have been able to get it to go a little faster. lol

Ding-Ding

Had a quick look but couldn't see it here. In the News section of GT6. It says 1st January for 2nd Red Bull challenge was a mistake. It was supposed to be end of January.

They will change the date of the challenge in the next game update.

ruttyboy

Had a quick look but couldn't see it here. In the News section of GT6. It says 1st January for 2nd Red Bull challenge was a mistake. It was supposed to be end of January.

They will change the date of the challenge in the next game update.

Of course it was PD, of course it was...

TTG

Anyone know of some slow cars that are fun to drive? Noticed that the bottom of my favorites list is the M3, which is still 488pp. So, what are some fun 300-450pp cars?

Repo Man

For those asking about which car to use, 90% of the time, the answer is the Toyota 7. Seriously I think I've cleared more than half of the single player with it, just limiting the power as needs be, it's basically unstoppable.

a03_11_2_2_2.jpg

How is the 7 in GT6 ? From the limited go's I had with it in GT5 I seem to recall it being rather tailhappy and slippery so I went for the Chapparal 2J which is basically a caveman version of the Red Bull X's and its served me well so far.

ruttyboy

How is the 7 in GT6 ? From the limited go's I had with it in GT5 I seem to recall it being rather tailhappy and slippery so I went for the Chapparal 2J which is basically a caveman version of the Red Bull X's and its served me well so far.

It's absolutely fine so long as you don't mash the accelerator, especially when you limit the power to get into the lower class races, then it's just on rails. You can also increase the downforce to tame it completely.

Word of advice though, don't put a stage three turbo on it and expect things to go well :D

Anyone know of some slow cars that are fun to drive? Noticed that the bottom of my favorites list is the M3, which is still 488pp. So, what are some fun 300-450pp cars?

Ferrari 365 isn't ridiculously fast and great fun to drive ... also the Peugeot 205 T16 [road car, neither of the rally versions] is immense fun, you can seriously throw that car into corners!

Try the Toyota GT86. It received near-universal praise from motoring journalists at launch as a great 'driver's car', and it had some association with the Gran Turismo brand since the concept stage, so it's likely to be one of the more accurate cars in the game in terms of dynamics. It therefore baffles me why it appears to be on the wrong tyres by default. It is well-known that the GT86 was designed for fun at low speeds - underpowered and running on thin, non performance-orientated tyres that allow you to play around with the limits of traction at legal speeds on the road.

If you drive the GT86 in GT6, it seems horribly dull, with far too much grip on its default 'Sports Hard' tyres - really difficult to get it to move around at all, even with the aids off. (With the aids at default... well it just doesn't do anything, has no characteristics other than being slow, I don't understand why that is fun to anyone.) I thought they had totally messed it up. But no, you need to drop it down to Comfort Medium before it starts to behave like you'd expect. Even Medium feels like too much grip really - Comfort Hard is where the real fun is. Then it reveals itself as a really nicely-balanced, fun car.

Which leads me to wonder... if the physics guys at Polyphony took the time to give it this balance, why would they then hide it behind incorrect tyres? My first thought was that they are treating tyre options simply as another driving aid. I have found myself dropping the tyre option down a notch or two in several cars to make them move around as I'd expect, so perhaps that is the answer, but it's not consistent - some cars seem about right on their default tyres.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Wish they had included some sort of custom time trial mode, that would allow you to set a car (with locked down upgrades, but configurable) and track for you and your friends to compete for best times. The infrastructure is there for comparing efforts, but there are very few events to actually do so.

sCHOCOLATE

Try the Toyota GT86. It received near-universal praise from motoring journalists at launch as a great 'driver's car', and it had some association with the Gran Turismo brand since the concept stage, so it's likely to be one of the more accurate cars in the game in terms of dynamics. It therefore baffles me why it appears to be on the wrong tyres by default. It is well-known that the GT86 was designed for fun at low speeds - underpowered and running on thin, non performance-orientated tyres that allow you to play around with the limits of traction at legal speeds on the road.

If you drive the GT86 in GT6, it seems horribly dull, with far too much grip on its default 'Sports Hard' tyres - really difficult to get it to move around at all, even with the aids off. (With the aids at default... well it just doesn't do anything, has no characteristics other than being slow, I don't understand why that is fun to anyone.) I thought they had totally messed it up. But no, you need to drop it down to Comfort Medium before it starts to behave like you'd expect. Even Medium feels like too much grip really - Comfort Hard is where the real fun is. Then it reveals itself as a really nicely-balanced, fun car.

Which leads me to wonder... if the physics guys at Polyphony took the time to give it this balance, why would they then hide it behind incorrect tyres? My first thought was that they are treating tyre options simply as another driving aid. I have found myself dropping the tyre option down a notch or two in several cars to make them move around as I'd expect, so perhaps that is the answer, but it's not consistent - some cars seem about right on their default tyres.
I agree with this. And automotive reviews of the real GT86/BRZ/FRS are aligned with what you've described.

Auto journalists were able to get the car into easily controllable drifts because of the OEM stock tires. According to reviews, those OEM tires were hardly ultra-summer performance spec. For daily driving, and at stock power, the GT86/BRZ/FRS doesn't need more grip.

All that to say, what you've observed/criticised about the car in-game is in fact what you'd expect in reality. Putting sport tires on a GT86/BRZ/FRS with stock power would give you a lightweight, high grip, "dull" car to drive. The high level of grip overcomes the ability of the car to break traction under stock WOT.

In game, leave the SH tires but increase the HP to liven it up. Otherwise, CS tires are more than enough, and closer to reality at stock power.

Your optimism is inspiring :)

Heard anything?

Red Bull event planned for the end of the month in GT6.

X challenge pt 2 / launch of the RB 10, virtual Newey to present his new F1 baby to the GT world.

The first F1 test is on the 28th at Jerez.

Jerez is coming to GT6 as DLC. One track per month DLC? Jerez is our first track.

F1 mode with full flag system in GT6 code.

It's_happening.gif

Who else will join the GT6 2014 F1 party at the end of the month? McLaren, Ferrari?

You might consider reading two or three automotive reviews of the real GT86/BRZ/FRS. Auto journalists were able to get the car into easily controllable drifts because of the OEM stock tires. According to reviews, those OEM tires were hardly ultra-summer performance spec. For daily driving, and at stock power, the GT86/BRZ/FRS doesn't need more grip.

All that to say, what you've observed/criticised about the car in-game is in fact what you'd expect in reality. Putting sport tires on a GT86/BRZ/FRS with stock power would give you a lightweight, high grip, "dull" car to drive. The high level of grip overcomes the ability of the car to break traction under stock WOT.

In game, leave the SH tires but increase the HP to liven it up. Otherwise, CS tires are more than enough, and closer to reality at stock power.
Errrr... you have entirely misunderstood my post?

benzy

I notice that too. It sucks.

If you're just logging on and then turning the game off immediately without doing any races, then the game didn't save and doesn't remember you logged on for that day. You'll have to manual save if you're just going to sign on and then off.

TTG

How about the Lancia Delta Integrale?

I remember the 15th Anniversary car being all clown shoes and spinning bow ties. Not uncontrollable like GT5's iteration, but still sideways for half a lap. I'll give it another try though.

Ferrari 365 isn't ridiculously fast and great fun to drive ... also the Peugeot 205 T16 [road car, neither of the rally versions] is immense fun, you can seriously throw that car into corners!

I just bought the 365 yesterday, haven't driven it yet. In any case, you reminded me of the Dino! At 413pp it's almost exactly the type of car I was looking for. First Ferrari I bought, it just fell to the wayside for a while, fun to drive.

I haven't tried downgrading the stock tires, but a bunch of the GT3 cars suffer the same symptoms you describe. GTR, SLS, M3 and even the old IS-F; GT3 variants of those cars are always on rails, perpetually immaculately composed with only understeer to slow you down when you're really being an idiot. Not fun, probably too much grip. Z4 is the only one I've tried that's not antiseptic.

TTG

Who else will join the GT6 2014 F1 party at the end of the month? McLaren, Ferrari?

Doesn't hurt to dream, right? If the next Red Bull F1 car really comes to GT6 as part of the debut, that will absolutely move copies of the game. Much more so than a La Ferrari or any one particular car, probably as much if not more than the whole Porsche roster.

Kukuk

Banned
Welp, fuck the S license tests. Can't even get gold on the first one.

I'll do a super clean lap, clip corners as much as I can, get smooth turns around wide ones, feel like I did really good, and I'll be 3 seconds behind gold.

I've tried it, not even exaggerating, like 100 times, and at MOST, I'll be able to shave off like a second.

I recently played the Ascari 10-Lap Challenge (S) with a tuned Alpine A110 1600S and thought it was immensely fun. Should be fun without tuning too as long as the tires don't have all too much grip.

Welp, fuck the S license tests. Can't even get gold on the first one.

I'll do a super clean lap, clip corners as much as I can, get smooth turns around wide ones, feel like I did really good, and I'll be 3 seconds behind gold.

I've tried it, not even exaggerating, like 100 times, and at MOST, I'll be able to shave off like a second.

I'd like to give advice but maybe it's best to just watch a gold replay on Youtube or from your friends list. Imo it shouldn't be that hard if you managed to get gold in all the previous license tests.

Kukuk

Banned
One of my big problems is, when I try to take a turn like they do in videos, I come out waaaay too wide, and end up going off course. If I slow before going into the turn, I can't seem to pick up speed like they do. It's really frustrating.

EDIT: Got within half a second of gold'ing it. Not happy about it, but it lit a fire under me. Kind of amazes me how badly simply tapping your break kills your time.

One of my big problems is, when I try to take a turn like they do in videos, I come out waaaay too wide, and end up going off course. If I slow before going into the turn, I can't seem to pick up speed like they do. It's really frustrating.

EDIT: Got within half a second of gold'ing it. Not happy about it, but it lit a fire under me. Kind of amazes me how badly simply tapping your break kills your time.

Brake later? If you're following the driving line, it sometimes tells you to brake earlier than necessary. Sometimes it even tells you to brake when you don't need to brake at all (Apricot Hill is a good example of this). Also, try to keep a steady speed as you're going through the corner until the car is pointed where you want it. Then go full throttle. You're probably going wide because you're accelerating too fast and too soon.

I'm not the best driver, but I managed to gold all the licenses without too much difficulty. Hope it helps.

Kukuk

Banned
Brake later? If you're following the driving line, it sometimes tells you to brake earlier than necessary. Sometimes it even tells you to brake when you don't need to brake at all (Apricot Hill is a good example of this). Also, try to keep a steady speed as you're going through the corner until the car is pointed where you want it. Then go full throttle. You're probably going wide because you're accelerating too fast and too soon.

I'm not the best driver, but I managed to gold all the licenses without too much difficulty. Hope it helps.

Just beat it. Really the thing that helped me beat it is throwing yourself around corners. I only really had to use my brakes at a few areas.

The car takes way too long to accelerate, and braking absolutely kills your chances of winning.

Hopefully the next 4 tests don't give me as much trouble...

commedieu

Banned
The RS6 (standard) is so much damned fun. Such a big ass... Did the ring in 8:30(bumped wall once) I see there are official irl times around 8:10-8:20 for the rs6.. feels moderately good :)

And PD has done a remarkable job with the sensitivity of the DS3. I've never been able to tolerate playing with the controller.. But it feels very natural and responsive. Almost don't mind not using my wheel..

Not specifically related to the game but...

GT Academy Team Take Dubai 24h Class Victory

In what passes for a trouble-free 24 hour race, the #123 Nismo 370Z of the very newest graduates has taken a clear class victory – by a massive 25 laps.

With Lucas Ordoñez as the elder guiding hand, 2013′s regional winners – USA’s Nick McMillen, Europe’s Miguel Faisca (Portugal), Russia’s Stanislav Aksenov and Germany’s Florian Strauss – came home 25th on aggregate in the 77 car field, with 513 laps completed.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Though most are probably aware of this, just in case anyone didn't know: you can click through on individual names in the online rankings section of seasonal events for a lot more information. I see you bastards with your SRF on!

Repeating myself, but I really wish there were more opportunities to utilize the data comparison stuff they've built, with custom time trials for friends and stuff like that.

ruttyboy

OK, so the race cars have much stronger headlights than the road cars... Wish I'd known that before trying to win the Nurb 24hr with a McLaren F1...

Also begs the question, why can't you upgrade the lights of the road cars?

Goldrusher

OK, so the race cars have much stronger headlights than the road cars... Wish I'd known that before trying to win the Nurb 24hr with a McLaren F1...

Also begs the question, why can't you upgrade the lights of the road cars?
That would be interesting. Rally lights:

as_rally_nbb4_550.jpg

Ted

Does GT6 support multi screen like GT5 did. Becoming more appealing as PS3 hardware is cheap atm...

It's not in yet but it wasn't in GT5 from the get-go either, it was added in v1.06. For reference GT5 released end of Nov 2010, multi-monitor support was added February 2011.

Drive the Toyota FT-1 Concept Coupe in Gran Turismo 6
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/13/drive-the-toyota-ft-1-concept-coupe-in-gran-turismo-6/
Owners of Gran Turismo 6 will be the first to test-drive the FT-1 after a free online update that will be made available tomorrow, January 14th. After downloading the update, a unique seasonal event featuring the Toyota FT-1 will be made available in the game. If you receive a bronze or better in the FT-1 challenge at Laguna Seca, you will receive the car. Drivers will also be able to purchase the vehicle from the Toyota dealership without having to complete the seasonal event.

h3ro

M3 interior will also be included in 1.03 and it looks like there will be a new M3 seasonal to coincide with the update!

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/00_1527668.html

i12F4E9ET1FUAcE.jpg

On 13 January 2014, BMW announced the BMW M4 Coupé at the Detroit Auto Show.

In Gran Turismo 6, the BMW M4 Coupé was introduced earlier to the world with Update 1.02 (released in December 2013), making it possible to take the car for a virtual test drive. In the next Update 1.03 (planned for 14 January 2014) the interior of the car will be added to make the release complete.

Those who already have the car in their game garage will see their car updated automatically with a full interior. It is also possible to receive the car as a prize if you obtain a Bronze award or better in the Seasonal Event planned after this update.

h3ro

New news, new thread? Anyone have time to whip something up so those not always reading the OT are updated on this?

edit: just saw the thread in Gaming side!

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me right back in. I gotta say, that login bonus and new seasonals/cars every so often is doing a hell of a job of making me keep the wheel plugged in.

IISANDERII

First time since I bought the game I've let my login bonus expire. Loved GT5 for amazing online racing but GT6 is nowhere near as good for so many reasons. A real pity I think.

Zeth

I've only played GT6 because I recently got my first wheel. Is it recommended that I pick up GT5? Probably on PSN. Is the driving model majorly different? I really love plowing through the career in GT6 and I'm running out of stars to collect that I'm interested in, so I think the GT5 campaign might be worth it.

Top Bottom