• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

paskowitz

I just want to say, Matterhorn is by far the best fictional scenic location in GT history. The long track is simply phenomenal.

commedieu

Banned
This is how i feel watching all of you enjoy GT6..

cat-snow.gif

stupid work :\

Ted

I've got a little further now so I think it's only fair to update the list I made on launch day:

Positives:

- Physics, and hence cars, seem more alive. This is particular apparent in the effects on the car of weight transition both caused by the car and the driver (e.g. braking hard, turning etc) and that caused by the environment (e.g. going light over a crest).
- The speed/sense of navigation is vastly improved and this makes a huge difference but there are still some glaring annoyances like not being able to skip to the next license test after completing the current.
- Some mandatory assist settings in licenses.
- Frame rate seems smooth at 720p settings.
- A few surprises in the car list for me.
- Friends trace line type thing on the license tests and Seasonal Event time trials is really cool. I'm glad there is an option to make all ghosts, including your own, appear like this is as I find a full ghost car a distraction when hot lapping.
- Premium car models are gorgeous.
- Event variation, even at this early stage, seems better than GT5.
- Blind spot indicators.
- Karts are still in and are as awesome as ever. Shifter karts are also in now which is even better. Cockpit view in a full room of karts at the Nordschleife is just amazing online.
- Some of the new and updated not-in-GT5 tracks are really nice, some are going to work really well for online racing, some are just going to be nice to have a blat around for some scenic spirited driving. All the new tracks are catching me out, it's good to have a challenge. It's also great to see some of the DLC tracks from last time round finally in career mode. I'll race at Spa all day long for free but getting paid is even better!
- With the right car selection, limited knowledge of a new track, some events can be quite challenging. Getting first in the National A 500pp Clubman Cup in a stock Evo X cleanly on Matterhorn was great fun and a fairly decent challenge.

Negatives:

- Jaggy straight edges, particularly noticeable for example on the white lines in the amateur kart race at the GT Arena, eek. It's not the end of the world and sometimes I barely notice it, at other times though it is shocking (until you put it in perspective with the hardware it's running on.
- Have to play a lot of SP to even unlock MP (around an hour or two I reckon - 2 of three events in the novice class plus the nat. B license, 7 races (across any events ) in the amateur class plus the nat. A license). And then when you do get online there isn't even any shuffle racing! What on Earth PD? Seriously? 3 years after the release of GT5 there were still a shit load of regular, clean shuffle lobbies and now it's cut? A mode that encourages adaptability and puts the onus on the driver not the car and you couldn't get it in day 1? Programmatically it's a few lists of comparable cars and a half decent selection on past performance algorithm. Really disappointing.
- Common opponents list on the info screen before entering a race doesn't list PP/HP/weight/tyres for these potential opponents which can make judging the right car to use for a challenge a little harder.
- This is exacerbated as in a few of the races I've been in there is same old problem where if I select a car to have to fight through the pack right from the start the one or two rabbit cars at the front of the pack will be long gone by the time you reach third.
- The dealership definitely overwhelming, particularly when you can't immediately tell standard from premium and there is no way of knowing at a manufacturer screen level of knowing whether there are any premium cars of that make. The upside of this is that it makes the near-duplicate car issue very very obvious if PD bother to look.
- Car list available in arcade mode is way too small and doesn't have many obvious car match ups for split screen.
- Same old sounds/damage model. And similar bugs in the sound, put a sports exhaust on an Evo X and listen to the sound magically disappear when you hit 6k rpm.
- Seasonal event payouts are comparatively low and the gold times aren't particularly difficult to achieve. If they could make repeated payout based on moving up the leaderboard or your friends list a la Rivals that would be great as that should be half the fun.
- No community tab like GT5. I like being able to see the lobbies my friends are hosting but I also like seeing if I might want to join them in a random room they are in and I'm not sure that is covered by the friends room tick box in the lobby filters.
- Not being able to enter photomode in the mandatory post race replay is a mild annoyance.
- No taco stand at the 'ring or on the Moon.

So far I'll stand by my original thoughts:

I have absolutely no doubt I'll sink many many happy hours into it but the PS3 is starting to show it's age a little now.

OmegaDL50

Higher res, but they removed the MSAA? Did they use some form of FXAA now? MSAA is expensive, they must have needed the bandwidth elsewhere.

GT6 has a higher res of 1440x1080 and uses MLAA.

GT5 had "baked" pre-computed lightning to free up GPU resources without effecting the performance, wheras GT6 has far more real-time rendered lighting for the new time of day and changing weather conditions.

GT6 having a higher resolution, more real-time lighting, and dynamic weather and time of day cycles, not to mention adaptive tessellation over GT5, I'd say loss in MSAA, is more then made up all things considered

GT6 with all of it's additions being at a higher resolution, day/night cycles, weather changes, real-time lighting changes. I'd say the loss of MSAA was to not lose framerate.

Having high framerates is especially important for a racing game in which the illusion of speed is crucial.

Jezbollah

Enjoying GT6 so far. Am a bit frustrated at the recommended line brake zone popup - i.e. you are going into a corner, then it suddenly performs a calculation that informs you that you're in fact deep into a braking zone when it didn't indicate otherwise before (this happens when you go into clear ways at Brands Hatch when running the Indy circuit.

Also, would like to see native Dual Shock 4 support - I could navigate the menu but couldn't drive it with my DS4 connected via USB.

Apart from that, enjoying it. It feels dumbed down to an extent but I think it's more intuitive to play than GT5.

Gestault

GT6 with all of it's additions being at a higher resolution, day/night cycles, weather changes, real-time lighting changes. I'd say the loss of MSAA was to not lose framerate.

Having high framerates is especially important for a racing game in which the illusion of speed is crucial.

Have you had a chance to play GT6 yourself? The framerate seems less consistent, from a pretty wide base of responses.

Enjoying GT6 so far. Am a bit frustrated at the recommended line brake zone popup - i.e. you are going into a corner, then it suddenly performs a calculation that informs you that you're in fact deep into a braking zone when it didn't indicate otherwise before (this happens when you go into clear ways at Brands Hatch when running the Indy circuit.

FYI, the recommended driving line and braking spots aren't necessarily going to give you the best lap time. They're generally a good guide, especially if you aren't entirely comfortable with the track or car yet, but you can often find a better line, and you can almost always brake later or less than recommended.

Jedi2016

Yes haha, is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VAF-4Er7_A
(Snoop Dogg Ft. The Doors - Riders on The Storm)
THANK YOU. So I wasn't going crazy, it was from NFSU2.. lol. Played the hell out of that game.

Anyway, back to topic... does anyone else find it annoying that there's a little pop-up in the corner that tells you what button you're pushing? "Accelerate, brake", etc. And no way to turn it off that I can find.

I've also noticed an annoying little hiccup in the license trials. When you get to the finish, there's a slight pause while the game calculates whatever it's calculating, but the clock keeps ticking. So it always adds about a tenth of a second or so to your actual time. You can see it stop when you cross the line, so you know what your "real" time was, and then it shows the time that counts. When you're 0.03 seconds off from a Gold, that gets real annoying real fast.

flashmouth

Neo Member
Starting to dig this game, slow but steady. Today it "clicked" during some nightracing at Bathurst and afterwards Matterhorn with the KTM X-Bow - really sweet.

Would like to test it with a proper wheel, there's barely any feedback with DS3.

spwolf

Have you had a chance to play GT6 yourself? The framerate seems less consistent, from a pretty wide base of responses.

framerate at 1080p is certainly better than before... did you play it yourself? It seems like most of people who complain did not play GT6 at all, but are watching youtube or relaying someone else's complaints.

In GT5 there were tracks where you would get tearing even on bumper cam, even on 720p... i am playing 1080p in GT6 and I have yet to see tearing after 10hrs of gameplay.

i think it is replays that have most of these issues and people watch replays on youtube and think thats how it looks when you are racing, well, it does not.

spwolf

Anyway, back to topic... does anyone else find it annoying that there's a little pop-up in the corner that tells you what button you're pushing? "Accelerate, brake", etc. And no way to turn it off that I can find.

you can easily turn it off in options, there are HUD options and you can turn a lot of things off.

someone also asked few pages back if you can adjust FF on specific wheels, you dont adjust it on specific wheel, there are wheel options that apply for any wheel, and that includes FF as well... just like before, i have put my G25 on Simulation and +10.

Another thing to note, GT6 is best played with all assists off. Previously you would have to leave some at +1 to have cars playable.

i guess due to improved suspension model, now even cheap cars are fun to drive... again, unlike before where I felt like i was driving box on wheels.

Gestault

framerate at 1080p is certainly better than before... did you play it yourself? It seems like most of people who complain did not play GT6 at all, but are watching youtube or relaying someone else's complaints.

In GT5 there were tracks where you would get tearing even on bumper cam, even on 720p... i am playing 1080p in GT6 and I have yet to see tearing after 10hrs of gameplay.

i think it is replays that have most of these issues and people watch replays on youtube and think thats how it looks when you are racing, well, it does not.

I haven't played 6 yet myself. I'm going based on a few hours worth of livestreams from the night before release, and the fairly consistent mentions in the written reviews, as well as comments from other players. Are you saying you didn't encounter any tearing or framerate problems on tracks like Bathurst? I saw it myself, and saw the players in those streams comment on the same thing. I mean, if you're somehow right, that's good news. It's just so at odds with so many other voices and my own eyes.

I haven't played 6 yet myself. I'm going based on a few hours worth of livestreams from the night before release, and the fairly consistent mentions in the written reviews, as well as comments from other players. Are you saying you didn't encounter any tearing or framerate problems on tracks like Bathurst? I saw it myself, and saw the players in those streams comment on the same thing. I mean, if you're somehow right, that's good news. It's just so at odds with so many other voices and my own eyes.

Isn't the game vsync now? Also was the stream even 60fps? Haven't seen a GT6 one that was yet.

paskowitz

Just spent all my money on the LFA Nurb Edition... money well spent. Car is stupid fast. It goes through the high speed sections of the Nurburgring at insane speeds. It does not like curbs though.

Megasoum

Banned
The only issue I have with the new menus is that it's not very good at telling you the car requirements before entering a racing. Right now I have to get into the pre-race screen to see the car and then if I decide I want to buy a new car for that race then have to back all the way out.

Not the end of the world and at least the menus are super quick this time around but still.

nataku

"The package was missed at the UPS facility, UPS will deliver on the next business day."

Damn you UPS. I knew I should have just ordered in on PSN instead of Amazon. Worst part is the Friday delivery now becomes Monday.

FrankWza

The only issue I have with the new menus is that it's not very good at telling you the car requirements before entering a racing. Right now I have to get into the pre-race screen to see the car and then if I decide I want to buy a new car for that race then have to back all the way out.

Not the end of the world and at least the menus are super quick this time around but still.

Yup.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
GT6 has a higher res of 1440x1080 and uses MLAA.

GT5 had "baked" pre-computed lightning to free up GPU resources without effecting the performance, wheras GT6 has far more real-time rendered lighting for the new time of day and changing weather conditions.

GT6 having a higher resolution, more real-time lighting, and dynamic weather and time of day cycles, not to mention adaptive tessellation over GT5, I'd say loss in MSAA, is more then made up all things considered

A few things I have a problem with.

-1440x1080 vs.1280x1080, not a upgrade worth mentioning. Definitely not worth the huge downgrade in the AA, that makes it look as jaggy a a 360 launch game.

-I don't know what baked" pre-computed lightning is, but it was real time day cycles for some tracks in GT5. Who cares how it was achieved, it looked amazing & standard setting in GT5 for the tracks that had it.

-I have not seen ANY indication of adaptive tessellation in use or any instance where it shows any kind of improvement from GT5.

-Having MORE real-time lighting, and dynamic weather and time of day cycles should not affect performance. It already existed in GT5, they are just adding more of the same in the next game.
By this logic, if they released GT7 on the PS3 & had all of the tracks with the above features in them, but nothing else would be added graphically, the game be downgraded even more.

A few things I have a problem with.

-1440x1080 vs.1280x1080, not a upgrade worth mentioning. Definitely not worth the huge downgrade in the AA, that makes it look as jaggy a a 360 launch game.

-I don't know what baked" pre-computed lightning is, but it was real time day cycles for some tracks in GT5. Who cares how it was achieved, it looked amazing & standard setting in GT5 for the tracks that had it.

-I have not seen ANY indication of adaptive tessellation in use or any instance where it shows any kind of improvement from GT5.

-Having MORE real-time lighting, and dynamic weather and time of day cycles should not affect performance. It already existed in GT5, they are just adding more of the same in the next game.
By this logic, if they released GT7 on the PS3 & had all of the tracks with the above features in them, but nothing else would be added graphically, the game be downgraded even more.

don't know if serious at all.

spwolf

i am saying play the game and tell me it runs worse - it doesnt, it looks better, runs better. most people complaining are watching youtube videos of replays or glitches.

I only played 10hrs and no screen tearing that i saw... In GT5 it was much easier to see screen tearing, for instance race in London, you would get screen tear every time you end lap - this was 720p bumper cam. Or Trial Mountain, last corner where everyone bumps together.

Now if you try to look for problems, i am sure you will be able to find some... I entered replay by mistake and it was laughable buggy crap that you see on youtube - it looked low res, glitchy AA and bad framerate when i entered cockpit. But this is not gameplay.

Gameplay i raced in London, no screen tearing, much nicer standards and much better track overall with better textures and lighting. Much better suspension and driving feel as well... much faster to get into the races, prettier menus, etc, etc.

I am not really sensitive to frame rate, and I didnt mind occasional screen tear in GT5, it didnt really bug me, i put hundreds of hours if not more in that game and Prologue.

When I remember flickering shadows of GT5 that were everywhere, and standards that looked like someone stuck decals on a cardboard box, it is really funny to read how GT6 runs worse. Well it does not. And if some cockpit view on some race does drop a frame or two at 1080p and you are annoyed by it, drop the darn game to 720p. It is not magic, next gen consoles dont run PS3/360 ports at 60fps.

Sorry haven't been keep up with this, but is there still that level up system in GT5 where you have to be a certain level to drive certain cars for career?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wait a second, so it's no longer possible to see saved replays at 60 fps when using normal driving views?

Wait a second, so it's no longer possible to see saved replays at 60 fps when using normal driving views?

I think someone said that they've added the extra visual effects (like motion blur) to the cockpit view during replays, so that eliminates 60fps. Although it's probably a taster of what to expect in terms of effects with GT7 (that'll be at 60fps).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think someone said that they've added the extra visual effects (like motion blur) to the cockpit view during replays, so that eliminates 60fps. Although it's probably a taster of what to expect in terms of effects with GT7 (that'll be at 60fps).
That's going to make comparisons more difficult. :(

Top Bottom