• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Huh, pretty surprised at this thread. I'm having a blast with the game, it's probably my favorite GT game since 3. Seems like they corrected a lot of the silly shit GT5 did wrong, the only thing I'm disappointed with is the lack of special events, so hopefully we see that start to roll out regularly soon.

Otherwise, I'm getting a steady flux of cars and money, loving the visuals and new tracks, and have only driven premium cars, now up to International B. I also feel like they've done a much better job of spacing out competitors on the track - past GT games I'd always blow by everyone in the first half lap, and spend the rest of the course on my own. Might just be their ramp up is better, and the regular use of rolling starts.

I love GT fans, but you guys can be pretty high strung.

Xanadu

Banned
Huh, pretty surprised at this thread. I'm having a blast with the game, it's probably my favorite GT game since 3. Seems like they corrected a lot of the silly shit GT5 did wrong, the only thing I'm disappointed with is the lack of special events, so hopefully we see that start to roll out regularly soon.

Otherwise, I'm getting a steady flux of cars and money, loving the visuals and new tracks, and have only driven premium cars, now up to International B.

I love GT fans, but you guys can be pretty high strung.

is there many night/weather races in career?

Emwitus

I think we are debating semantics at this point. Yes, if you would like to describe all racing AI as "on rails" sure have at it. The reason this makes sense is because of this invisible "rail" in racing called the racing line. Watch an F1 race, they seem so on rails most of the time don't they? Yeah, because they are all (for the most part) immensely talented drivers who are able to hit the damn near perfect racing line lap after lap. I don't think we had an official meeting, but the majority of GT fans and critics describe the AI behavior in GT games as "on rails" not because the basics of a racing AI routine must follow the "rail" that is the racing line, but because they are fucking glued to the track and immovable obstacles that don't adhere to the same physics engine that is affecting your car. That is all.
Now this where I mean its all subjective 44. I'll give you a link that shows gt5 ai noticed objects on the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKIy1Kja3eU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

benzy

Whoa, just realized you can adjust the soundtrack playlist in the gallery option under library. No more shitty rock songs during races.

Gran Turismo's AI doesn't even overtake or try and race though. There is no challenge whatsoever.

That wasn't true in GT5 Prologue, it's not true now. They just really suck at taking corners.

It doesn't help that most of the people race with overpowered cars compared to the AI because. I can't blame them considering the rolling starts and always starting last.

And if you bother to reply, try replying to what I said rather than the straw men you create.
Speak for yourself...

Personally I think that they reach core temperature too fast and its too easy to overheat them. But then I am happy to keep it this way because most races are only a few laps anyway and it adds another element to the driving. Perhaps they just need to couple that with the wear rate option.

But other than that (which many PC 'sims' dont even yet model), how is the tyre model stone age?
The vast majority of PC sims have tyre temperature and wear, what are you talking about? You told me we weren't supposed to talk about "peripheral things" like wear because it suggests we "judge a sim not by the driving model but by what surrounds it"?

Yes they do, I've spun out many times because I try to block them from overtaking me and they just wreck me.

I haven't seen it so far. In fact, I made a point of checking out starting order and comparing it to the finishing order - never seen it alter outside of my own position.

That's immediately telling me that there's something very poor about this AI.

Only time I've seen signs of life is during the mission races.

I try and use a fair and competitive car, yet the end result is always the same. Could it be down to AI taking corners at slow speeds? Sure. That's a flaw though.

Honestly, it'd be more fun for career to consist of time trial targets.

Okay guys, I got my copy today, and I have two questions:

-What's up with the Ayrton Senna thing? Is it already in the game or it's going to be DLC? His face and autograph is on the Brazilian edition (it's the one I have) after all.

- Does the soundtrack suck as much as GT5?

Now this where I mean its all subjective 44. I'll give you a link that shows gt5 ai noticed objects on the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKIy1Kja3eU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ok, I am going to have to stop engaging you. This shifting of goal posts makes any reply pointless. Again, you just pick up the discussion in a completely different place and in rebuttal to a statement no one was making at the time. A single youtube video proves nothing. My 250+ hours in GT5 A-Spec mode is a much better sample size. But please, continue to pick those cherries.

I haven't seen it so far. In fact, I made a point of checking out starting order and comparing it to the finishing order - never seen it alter outside of my own position.

On Gt5 if you raced 8 of the same cars on RouteX, the a.i. would form car centipedes with three car's engines all powering a single aero efficient block.
It must take a near sentient a.i. to come up with such a devious solution to winning a race.

_machine

As first time GT owner I'll post detailed impressions later on, but I just have to say that even with it's large list of noticeable of flaws and gripes there's just something that brings a smile to my face and makes me happy. It's one of the games that has got the soul of it's developers, in both good and bad and it's really great.

benzy

Okay guys, I got my copy today, and I have two questions:

-What's up with the Ayrton Senna thing? Is it already in the game or it's going to be DLC? His face and autograph is on the Brazilian edition (it's the one I have) after all.

- Does the soundtrack suck as much as GT5?

-Senna dlc coming later, but one of his racing outfits is in the game already.

-Yes

Morzak

That wasn't true in GT5 Prologue, it's not true now. They just really suck at taking corners.

It doesn't help that most of the people race with overpowered cars compared to the AI because. I can't blame them considering the rolling starts and always starting last.

Use an under powered car, and be amazed how you can make up 15-20 seconds on the last lap and overtake the leading car. The only way to loose is crashing bad in last lap or getting overtaken by a way more powerful car on the final straight. The AI basically lets you win and a low PP car makes it worse. Honestly the AI makes racing just no fun.

Korezo

I try and use a fair and competitive car, yet the end result is always the same. Could it be down to AI taking corners at slow speeds? Sure. That's a flaw though.

Honestly, it'd be more fun for career to consist of time trial targets.

Have you done a championship race? The only time I notice changed positions between the AI is when I see them recieve different points for different position finishes, but I never payed attention to AI grid finishes between AI in regular races.

I have dropped my PP even further below the competition in GT6 than I did in GT5. The problem now is not only are they poor at over taking, they are somehow enacting retribution for all of the years GT players have slammed the inside of the AI cars to cheat through corners and they are PIT maneuvering me like crazy. I know I am out braking them, in the same car, and I out braking them on say, turn 1 in Brands hatch when I pass them, easily. Queue up lap 2 with me in front, by several car lenghts, same corner, same exact cars, the AI is smashing into me from behind at a significant speed. It is like they created a "driveatar" system from GT5 A-Spec data and they are all behaving like the assholes we were to the AI all along.

I am all for the thrill of defensive driving, it is just as rewarding as over taking, but playing, "avoid the blinking red triangle of death" (the blind spot indicator) as to not be ass rammed off the track, is not my idea of challenging AI.

only the mclaren gear from 1988 is featured:

granturismo678uwi.png

granturismo6_1ghumx.png

granturismo6_2sluzl.png

senna18nr0o.jpg

senna2pwqub.jpg

no lotus 97t and no mclaren-honda in the game.

kaz said the they'll release some senna dlc in may 2014

so why put the lotus car in the intro if it's not currently in the game? what a crock of shit.

Scrap the main campaign altogether I say. Just leave the licenses, missions and special events (moon and goodwood), and focus on online.
I think there is potential for the campaign to involve real (online players) similar to how GTAV online worked. If you want to do a particular race, or championship, GT7 could automatically search out players interested in the same thing... bring everyone together, and initiate the race.

They need to revamp the AI, but at least we could have the option to progress through the career with other (real) players, instead of AI.

Korezo

I think there is potential for the campaign to involve real (online players) similar to how GTAV online worked. If you want to do a particular race, or championship, GT7 could automatically search out players interested in the same thing... bring everyone together, and initiate the race.

They need to revamp the AI, but at least we could have the option to progress through the career with other (real) players, instead of AI.

So you rather race with people that can't even stay on the road or obey race rules rather than the AI? It's near impossible to have a clean race with random online players.

dubc35

So you rather race with people that can't even stay on the road or obey race rules rather than the AI? It's near impossible to have a clean race with random online players.

I had more clean races online than not in GT5. That said, I went out of my way to only enter rooms with "Clean or kick" or similar tag lines which I'm not sure how that would work if the career was online based.

I don't play with random people online. I've got a group of about 10 solid racers. I would love to progress through the career with them as opponents. At least I'd have someone to vent to if they spun me out on the final corner of a race... As is, all I can do is curse the AI (repeatedly).

hort22

so, in license tests and seasonal events, you can follow your friend's previous driving line and try to beat their time...wonder if they could incorporate that into the ai somehow...isnt that sort of what forza's driveatar is?

couldnt you download a friends race style or something, and use that as the ai?

nfl 2k years ago had a VIP thing where it kept track of everything you did as a player and play caller...you could play against humans VIP and it would call plays and play the game like they did.

off topic: last night i couldnt fast forward replays, and today when i booted up i downloaded some small update, and played one quick race and was able to fast forward replays.

h3ro

Anyone else having an issue where the driving options keep resetting after every race?

I keep having to go back into the menus before every race to turn off TC and ABS. Really annoying.

Gonna echo what some one posted earlier, this game really makes me appreciate GT5 so much more. Got a really strong sense of community with that game. I'll never forget you, communal ho pickup truck.

As an option, it would be interesting. I'm not sure how it would work in the career mode as it is though. The AI is certainly dumb, but it is at least consistent. If you were to play against real people, your progress would be based entirely on the people you happened to be matched with - which would make the same race impossible to win at times, and then too easy.

However, they could do it like Wipeout 2048, which has a separate multiplayer career path, with varying objectives.

so, in license tests and seasonal events, you can follow your friend's previous driving line and try to beat their time...wonder if they could incorporate that into the ai somehow...isnt that sort of what forza's driveatar is?
Apparently clouds are next-gen only... the PS3 is only capable of blue sky... thinking...

Anyone else having an issue where the driving options keep resetting after every race?

I keep having to go back into the menus before every race to turn off TC and ABS. Really annoying.
It should remember unique settings for the cars you own. It resets each time in Arcade, or when you have to do a license test or special event though.

spwolf

i ended up on roof minute ago because AI clipped me on tight corner while trying to pass me... yes, the biggest "problem" is that we can customize our cars so we are a lot more powerful than them, but , they will overtake when possible.

that kind of reminded me how "big" problem few years back was no roll over with GT5... people made a lot of posts about that and how it is large issue with suspension model and proof how GT is not simulation, now that it is in, nobody cares anymore.

conman

I think this is going on a shelf for a while. I assume/hope it will get some substantial patches over the next 3-6 months. By then, it will be a much better game. I'd rather wait for those improvements so that it doesn't feel like "work" to slog through the career.

This.

And now I'm starting to have problems with it. Having problems with the fact that you have to basically handicap yourself to have a challenge. Last night I was replaying one of the beginner FR events over and over again. My car was way below the PP limit. I was so close to coming in first but just couldn't make it. I knew that If I just bought one more upgrade I'd probably come in first in another try or 2. This is a problem because I don't know when my inablility to succeed stops becoming a matter of skill vs a matter of the car just not being good enough.

This.

And now I'm starting to have problems with it. Having problems with the fact that you have to basically handicap yourself to have a challenge. Last night I was replaying one of the beginner FR events over and over again. My car was way below the PP limit. I was so close to coming in first but just couldn't make it. I knew that If I just bought one more upgrade I'd probably come in first in another try or 2. This is a problem because I don't know when my inablility to succeed stops becoming a matter of skill vs a matter of the car just not being good enough.

Wasn't this one of the biggest problems of the GT5 career? And they didn't do anything to remedy/fix it? Damn. That's kind of disappointing.

FrankWza

can we get a few comparisons on the installation from disc please?
here is where im at.

Game data utility shows 4275mb
GT6 Install size shows 1053mb
Game progress: 31%

They're on the disc just like I thought. Sorg, the guy from GTPlanet who found a bunch of hidden stuff in GT5, found them.

On the disc or on the updates? That's how GT DLCs always worked, they put them through updates so everyone can see them online.

Now the question remains if they're going to sell them or just unlock them.

The beemer will probably cost money, the Andretti mobile will most likely be free.

Yeah they probably were added in 1.01. The M4 is rumored to be coming on the 12th. Mario Andretti's Hornet will probably be coming sometime after the 16th when they reveal the rebuilt car to him.

Both will most likely be free.

The GT6 ads on Crackle solely feature the Andretti car, it better be free. That would be a shitty move. Spearheading your ads with paid DLC.

Top Bottom