• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

paskowitz

I have discovered that just like in GT5, some cars are on the wrong tires and need to have comfort tires equipped to replicate realistic grip levels. Mostly older race cars and low power sports cars.

After 40 minutes, I can finally say it.

xgVXC3i.jpg

SUCK IT, GT-R MISSION B-5!

ruttyboy

OK, I'm not going to add to the pile on about the AI
(although I agree, it's shit)
, but here's what just happened to me.

Decided I'd try one of the seasonal events, the Honda Fit one. Set a time immediately that is just under the Gold time
(I also agree everything's way way too easy)

I decide to go see what other people on my friend's list set to check out if it shows the PP of the car you set it in (it doesn't, which is dumb) to find that it has put my real name up on the online leaderboards, the fuck?

I assumed that when it asked me to put my real name in that was just to add a little flavour to the single player, a nice touch, but why would they be stupid enough to put that info. online?

Even so, I can forgive all that, maybe I missed something saying it would be available for all to see, no problem I'll just go change it, and here's where it get's really fucking stupid:

1) Changing my name doesn't change the name on any records already uploaded so I had to go set another better time to overwrite it.

In this instance it wasn't difficult, (in fact I beat everyone on my friend's list with a totally stock car, so suck it crazy moving lines in the road ;-) ) but if you weren't able to beat the time or had set lots of times before realising it was using your real name... you're in trouble.

2) It sets a limit on how often you can change your name. WHY?

Everything is linked to your PSN anyway, so what the fuck does it matter what different names I choose to be displayed in a bloody racing game? Why the need for that level of control?

Anyway, still enjoying the game, but Christ if they haven't made some stupid choices.

You realise... it's always going to need the disc... even after it's fully installed?
I can understand the problem if it means extended load times the first time you do anything new (which will be often). Why not just have the option to do a full install so you take the hit all at once rather then each time the game does something new?

I have the digital download version BTW and load times have been very quick, throughout. If a full install option was made available to provide the same experience for disk buyers that'd be a great thing, right?

I asked this earlier but never got a response.

Anyone know why when I drive certain cars I hear a constant faint tire squeal sound? I'm talking about just plain driving, nothing crazy going on.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can understand the problem if it means extended load times the first time you do anything new (which will be often). Why not just have the option to do a full install so you take the hit all at once rather then each time the game does something new?

I have the digital download version BTW and load times have been very quick, throughout. If a full install option was made available to provide the same experience for disk buyers that'd be a great thing, right?

They probably remember all the complaints when GT5 came out. lol

I've also got the DD version and I have to say, I'd be hard pressed to complain about the load times. Obviously they're tucked well behind the race start splash screens, but has anybody done a straight up comparison between the two version? After getting jacked with GTA, it'd be nice to know if the DD is for once the better version.

Korezo

Damn now I remember why I always use to go super car OP in every GT game for all the races.... To not deal with the shit AI! was having fun in the IB night race nurburgring track with a car more than less than 100pp under limit. It made the race more intense overtaking my way to 1st until when I reach 1st it becomes impossible to stay there because the AI will ram you and spin you out since they have no brake button or knowledge of knowing you in front of them... Well I spun out and lost and ruined all the fun.

OFFIS

I assumed that when it asked me to put my real name in that was just to add a little flavour to the single player, a nice touch, but why would they be stupid enough to put that info. online?

It says this name will be used for leaderboards and online when you input the name.

ruttyboy

It says this name will be used for leaderboards and online when you input the name.

As I said in my post, fair enough I might have missed that, but why limit the number of times you can change it?

Anyone know why when I drive certain cars I hear a constant faint tire squeal sound? I'm talking about just plain driving, nothing crazy going on.

I've noticed it too, I think it's when the car has just enough power to make the tyres lose traction a little bit under acceleration, like a constant tiny tiny wheelspin, and because of the now greatly exaggerated tyre screech sounds it is audible. It's basically trying to warn you that you are on the edge of traction, all the time.

commedieu

Banned
Steering Wheel or Controller?

Got that gold very quickly with my controller.

i must say, im steering wheel-less for this GT, and god damn are the controllers buttery smooth this time around. I just use the analog thumbs for steering/brake/accel. It feels so good to be on the edge of traction, and its really sensitive to light touches. I almost can't dream of how well the wheels have been tinkered with.

I did the online special event, with the Vision concept, think i got 1:10 from 1:13, felt so good..mm..yeah.. fuck yes..

Looks like it should be going up any time now

As a celebration of this collaboration between BMW and Gran Turismo 6, a unique Seasonal Event featuring the BMW M4 Coupé is available on GT6 for two weeks, from today until 26 December 2013. The BMW M4 Coupé Superlap challenge will take place on the Nürburgring Grand Prix circuit and gives players the opportunity to buy or rent the car to complete the event, giving anyone the chance to experience this stunning new vehicle in the virtual world before it launches in the real world.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_5667014.html

The BMW M4 Coupé Superlap challenge will take place on the Nürburgring Grand Prix circuit and gives players the opportunity to buy or rent the car to complete the event, giving anyone the chance to experience this stunning new vehicle in the virtual world before it launches in the real world.
Stupid question time. Just to be sure, by the word "rent" there, they really just mean "borrow" right? We won't have to spend any credits to take the car out for this seasonal, correct?

This is the second time I've had to ask about renting cars in games this month, but I keep seeing that word being used.

I'm Sat driving it right now, it's a seasonal event. 1 lap of the nurburgring GP circuit.

Yeah, I just finished the International A Mission Races and went back out the main menu, and the news was just scrolling across the bottom of the screen. That's pretty cool.

EDIT: Oh wow, it has no interior. I thought this was the production model?

I feel this is going to be a relatively easy game to Platinum. Especially compared to GT5.

Only the licence tests require all gold. And as long as I don't hit a wall in IA or S I should be golden.

Dead Man

OK, I'm not going to add to the pile on about the AI
(although I agree, it's shit)
, but here's what just happened to me.

Decided I'd try one of the seasonal events, the Honda Fit one. Set a time immediately that is just under the Gold time
(I also agree everything's way way too easy)

I decide to go see what other people on my friend's list set to check out if it shows the PP of the car you set it in (it doesn't, which is dumb) to find that it has put my real name up on the online leaderboards, the fuck?

Even so, I can forgive all that, maybe I missed something saying it would be available for all to see, no problem I'll just go change it, and here's where it get's really fucking stupid:

1) Changing my name doesn't change the name on any records already uploaded so I had to go set another better time to overwrite it.

In this instance it wasn't difficult, (in fact I beat everyone on my friend's list with a totally stock car, so suck it crazy moving lines in the road ;-) ) but if you weren't able to beat the time or had set lots of times before realising it was using your real name... you're in trouble.

2) It sets a limit on how often you can change your name. WHY?

Everything is linked to your PSN anyway, so what the fuck does it matter what different names I choose to be displayed in a bloody racing game? Why the need for that level of control?

Anyway, still enjoying the game, but Christ if they haven't made some stupid choices.
That is pretty mad.

Damn!...wait...you're saying I have to buy games? Like I can't just rent them and install them all to my hard drive. Well that's stupid...I quit gaming. See you next tuesday;)
So you're being sarcastic now? And did you just call me a cunt? I mean I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to understand what kind of conclusion you're trying to reach by obsessing over the way GT6 uses the hard drive.

We've established that there is no option to fully install it in one shot. PD were heavily criticised for the painful install times for GT5, so they've hidden it completely, and done a great job of masking the loads and installs this time round.

You seem to be concerned that you're not getting the benefits of an install because it's always accessing the disc, or that you're only going to see speed improvements once everything is installed. This is not the case. I just tested it - I loaded a track that I have yet to visit in the game - Laguna Seca. I loaded it through Arcade Mode Time Trial, so that it wasn't installing any AI cars at the same time that might not have been accessed yet. I started the timer on initiating the track load, and hit stop when I saw the track animate for the first time (after the initial logos and flags, and the first shot of the track which I believe is a still image to make the load time appear shorter).

37.09 seconds.

I then quit, loaded another track to clear anything that might be in the RAM, and then loaded Laguna Seca again and timed it in the same manner.

19.16 seconds.

So whenever anything is accessed for a second time, you're getting the benefit of your hard drive speed. By doing it this way, PD is allowing you to enjoy the game immediately without an install, and you're getting the benefit of an install on the stuff that will be accessed multiple times at the start of your career (you'll visit the same tracks and drive against the same opponents regularly).

You're not supposed to worry about it. The game is installing steathily in an intelligent manner, and you are getting the speed benefits the more you play. If you're only going to play GT6 by accessing every item once, and then never touch it again, then you won't be benefiting from this system. But that would be madness (and would be equally pointless to install it all at once in that case).

alba

Little is the new Big
Perhaps nobody had seen the finalised interior until today? BMW just posted the official photos.

If the final interior was done, they'd have it in already. Although it's kind of annoying having a new car with the interior, I'm sure it'll come in an update eventually...

It does drive like crap, IMO. Only took me one try, thankfully.

Outside, it looks like it. But, it's a standard interior..

Edit: You can't tune the car at all. :|
The only thing you can do is put better tires on it. No wings, wheels, etc.

Yeah, it's obviously the concept car that BMW had at Pebble Beach this year. Not the production model.

flashmouth

Neo Member
Aw man, that sucks.
If it was a modeled interior at least, I can't take that blackened out ones anymore. All of these cars are completely useless to me caues I only race in cockpit view.

amar212

Just golded the M4 seasonal. You get 100k, a few paints and the car itself.

I am still mad I first went in Dealership to buy it only to realize Seasonal is actually driven with the loaner car and with actual M4 as prize.

Only better moment was confronting that glorious interiour.

@Gouda
It does not carry "concept" in title but full model name.

commedieu

Banned
PD needs a generic interior. the black shit is bullshit. Cant understand how the vision merc doesn't have one either and it was designed for the game. Really tacky.

PD's like the person with high standards that eats at arbys and wears dress barn clothing. Just doesn't add up.

I know I'll get fried for this, but I feel like the 30 fps, motion blur enabled, cockpit view replays look better than the main game. Like they look almost real. It's fucking ridiculous. I love the 60fps but I wouldn't object if the whole game looked like that.

Mobius 1

PD needs a generic interior. the black shit is bullshit. Cant understand how the vision merc doesn't have one either and it was designed for the game. Really tacky.

PD's like the person with high standards that eats at arbys and wears dress barn clothing. Just doesn't add up.

I'm like that :(

Anyway, let me go and try the M4. Also, did Metalmurphy get back and make the NRL thread yet? Almost a week in and no GAF online races.

ITs a real shame they abandoned the plans to make a PS4 version of this.

They could've done a quick HD version of it and sold even more on the new console.

conman

The frame rate inconsistencies tell you how hard the hardware is being pushed. In car view falls way short of 60fps unlike GT5. Thus added physics, rendering engine upgrades audio an AI improvements all cost cpu and gpu cycles and stretch the PS3.
Right. Exactly. So it's hitting the console's limits. It can't by definition go "beyond" them.

kafiend

If it's driving cars with Comfort Tires then that's the likely reason. All the cars I have driven with Comforts have made almost constant squeals and also the most godawful screech even on the straights while making small direction adjustments.

TheBear

How can you tell the difference between standard and premium cars? There There doesn't seem to be any obvious markers in tbe dealership

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just had a kart race bug on me. All of sudden I was 2 laps behind everyone for no apparent reason. Cost me the championship. :|

Top Bottom