• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

TheBear

Why does PD refuse to put in a hood cam? They have a fucking roof cam ffs which is useless, why not a hood cam like most other games on the market

bud

what's even worse is the behind-the-car cam which looks like it's mounted onto the car.

who comes up with this shit?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
As for your test.. The same thing that happens in GT happens in real... The car turns. So?

Which way does it turn and how quickly does it turn?

FYI, half the time there is no turn what so ever in this test

what's even worse is the behind-the-car cam which looks like it's mounted onto the car.

who comes up with this shit?

Some people like a solid chase cam while others like a looser one.

Games really should have the option for both.

Most likely because a livery editor is in the works and they want to implement it before tackling car sharing. Pure speculation on my behalf.

No way. They still have to finish half of the features they said are in GT6 but "released at a future date" Such as Bspec and GPS track creator. However, it wouldn't be the first time PD completely abandoned bullet points that were "guaranteed" to be in the game but never happened.

DinnerRevealer

Neo Member
I guess I understand why the Top Gear track isn't in 6, but no Fuji Speedway? Feels like a step back, for a supposed sequel to no have what the previous game had. Also the GT Auto theme in 5 was awesome, and gone in 6 :(

I miss the prize cars :( I don't get the carrot on the stick feeling of progressing through the single player at all. My main reason I am trying to advance quickly is so I can complete all of the license tests (my favorite) and all of the other fun coffee breaks and mission races.

But seriously, I am golding shit left and right and getting fuck all in return. I don't even know what things give you cars and what don't, because the prize cars are so sparse.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I guess I understand why the Top Gear track isn't in 6, but no Fuji Speedway? Feels like a step back, for a supposed sequel to no have what the previous game had.
Fuji Speedway is definitely in there, you race on it rather early in the game as well (First Onemake Event in National B with the BRZ/GT86/FRS iirc).

I just realized how thankful I am that I haven't had to race Cape Ring 3,000 times in the first half of A-spec mode. GT6 is doing a much better job at using more track variety, but I still feel like they need to mix it up even more. I understand the inclination to lean on the new tracks and throw them in as many early events as possible, but I am done with Willow Springs and Materhorn already. Willow Springs is sooooo borning (not Motegi boring though) and I like one or two of the Materhorn layourts but I don't feel like it is a great track to race on since the AI just act dumb as always. I have only been on Ascari once, and that was a mission race i believe. I would like to see more of that track. Also just realized I raced my first race on GVS last night too, hello old friend! Bathurst, whatever, give me a race there in every series, such a good track.

Speaking of Bathurst, re: frame rate issues. I get frame drops and tearing the pretty much every time you go down the mountain in any car in both cockpit and hood cam. Was there ever a consensus on what the graphics option do in the settings menu for flicker and sharpen? I am still in 1080p btw. The frame rate and tearing issues seem about on par with GT5 in that when I want to notice them, they are every where, but when i am racing, I have better things to focus on. The certainly need to fix it on the PS4, no excuses there.

flashmouth

Neo Member
Just did the Goodwood 5-3 with the Redbull, even that one is ridiculously easy.
Took me 20min with controller, I put sensivity to 5 because I felt it was kinda laggy on 0.
Finished with 28:431 and the gold requirement is 31:000, that kinda says it all...

MaDKaT

I miss the prize cars :( I don't get the carrot on the stick feeling of progressing through the single player at all. My main reason I am trying to advance quickly is so I can complete all of the license tests (my favorite) and all of the other fun coffee breaks and mission races.

But seriously, I am golding shit left and right and getting fuck all in return. I don't even know what things give you cars and what don't, because the prize cars are so sparse.

Yeah, the prize cars are thinned out. Prize cars seem purposely directed since you win just about everything you need to advance through the career. Golds also seem easier to get (except that damn Mission B-5) along with the new AI that slows down the last lap. Very much feels like the game was toned down to be more accessible.

I am definitely having the most fun on the license, seasonal and anything else where I can see my friends race line and hope to see more of that implemented into this game.

spwolf

list:
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threa...edits-win-cars-incl-bmw-m4-2013-12-12.291615/

Yeah, the prize cars are thinned out. Prize cars seem purposely directed since you win just about everything you need to advance through the career. Golds also seem easier to get (except that damn Mission B-5) along with the new AI that slows down the last lap. Very much feels like the game was toned down to be more accessible.

I am definitely having the most fun on the license, seasonal and anything else where I can see my friends race line and hope to see more of that implemented into this game.

Pre GT5 it was easy to go almost the entire game without ever having to buy a car. That was always a fun second play through of GT games I would do. Start by golding all licenses and go from there to see how far you can go without spending a dime.

The restrictions are far more open in GT6 which is great, but I just wish there was more reward for each individual series. If you are going to section off these races and say, "this is Japanese Historic cars" obviously we are on the same tracks as always, but the field is going to be old japanese cars. It seems fitting that by winning that entire event you would win a.... old japanese car! It has been like that forever I feel. It just gives the event some extra flavor and helps add some unique cars to your garage that you may have overlooked buying or would likely never buy unless you go all pokemon on the game.

Thanks, that explains the drought. I have been jumping around golding series but not clearing IB and A out yet.

nib95

Banned
I just realized how thankful I am that I haven't had to race Cape Ring 3,000 times in the first half of A-spec mode. GT6 is doing a much better job at using more track variety, but I still feel like they need to mix it up even more. I understand the inclination to lean on the new tracks and throw them in as many early events as possible, but I am done with Willow Springs and Materhorn already. Willow Springs is sooooo borning (not Motegi boring though) and I like one or two of the Materhorn layourts but I don't feel like it is a great track to race on since the AI just act dumb as always. I have only been on Ascari once, and that was a mission race i believe. I would like to see more of that track. Also just realized I raced my first race on GVS last night too, hello old friend! Bathurst, whatever, give me a race there in every series, such a good track.

Speaking of Bathurst, re: frame rate issues. I get frame drops and tearing the pretty much every time you go down the mountain in any car in both cockpit and hood cam. Was there ever a consensus on what the graphics option do in the settings menu for flicker and sharpen? I am still in 1080p btw. The frame rate and tearing issues seem about on par with GT5 in that when I want to notice them, they are every where, but when i am racing, I have better things to focus on. The certainly need to fix it on the PS4, no excuses there.

Switch your display output to 720p. Should fix the frame rate issues at least. Not sure about 720p. I prefer to play in 1080p myself as the frame rate drops don't bother me, but if you want basically a solid 60fps, stick with 720p.

Animal

Banned
Just did the Goodwood 5-3 with the Redbull, even that one is ridiculously easy.
Took me 20min with controller, I put sensivity to 5 because I felt it was kinda laggy on 0.
Finished with 28:431 and the gold requirement is 31:000, that kinda says it all...

I pulled that off with a DFGT wheel set to sensitivity zero. /insanewolf.jpg

DinnerRevealer

Neo Member
Huh, still working through B, and hadn't seen Fuji yet, my bad. Still bummed about the top gear track though.

Edit: messing around in Google Earth, a bunch of the Japan tracks Suzuka, Tsukuba, Fuji, and Motegi are viewable in Street View. Kind of cool to see the real thing.

Xanadu

Banned
And there are 2 Veyrons and they seem to be exactly the same bar the model year. Any real differences?

its definitely not supposed to be used on a track lol

It will be very interesting when project cars gets released. Actually no it wont' Because no matter what its physics engine is like, PC sim racers are going to say its unrealistic simply because it will be ported to console. This I can gurantee, PC sim racer blinkers are quite strong.

holy shit you hate PC gaming dont you

Sorc3r3r

Having less cars as prizes is making me to appreciate way more the cars i buy or win, in GT 5 the game flooded you, and it was just another one in the mass.
The problem i have, is that, this system has been planned to incentivate microtransactions most likely.

And Sony pushing a microtransaction model within their most iconic and biggest franchise is like spitting to their core gamers in my opinion, and worrisome for the future.

Bah.

Just unlocked the lunar mission and they were pretty enjoyable. It feels like the total opposite of what racing has been in the game and yet still similar. Is there just 3 missions or is there more?
Cause I want more :D

Steering Wheel or Controller?

Got that gold very quickly with my controller.

Steering wheel with all assists off.

Grats!

I've been stuck on this mission for the past 3 days. Can't even get silver =(
What was your split time? Sub 1:40? I need to figure where to make up lost time.

My split time was around 1:40,2xx and 1:40,5xx.

I had problems with that mission too.

The AI would always try to spin me out in the corners at around the 2 minute mark...

I didn't really have any problems. In fact, I had some great fun with that mission. It took me ages until I finally completed my first lap without getting disqualified and then I only finished around 2:25. Seeing that time was a bit of a bummer and I thought I'd have a hard time hitting the 2:20.800. But as it turned out, I had a much harder time not to get disqualified, rather than finishing fast enough. Over 99% of my attempts were in vain, because I got too wide in some corners. After I turned off the ghost and started to ignore the AI car, I just threw the car around the corners and was surprised how well it still drove. I got my first gold with 2:19.396, but my happiness about it faded quickly, when I noticed that there was still so much more time to be gained. It really fired me up to try the mission over and over again. Just like before, it was more difficult to finish a lap, than to beat my time. And then I finally did it and finished with 2:18,545. It really wasn't that hard at all. I'm actually confident that I could probably go even faster. The rubber banding AI can be annoying, but when you're fast enough, it never touches you and you can easily ignore it. I felt it was important to pass it right between the first and the second corner, though.

Is it possible to watch replays of that mission from the people in my friends list?

I was talking about them simulating overheating. I cant think of any PC sim that does it right.

And no, tyre temp does not go from max to normal is a few seconds. What you see is a flash over of surface temp, exactly like when you see the infrared F1 TV shots. When you spin up the wheels the tyres will flash red then in a few seconds return to normal. This is exactly how real world tyres behave.
Once again, you seem to be making definitive statements about a very technical aspect of the sim, based on some basic visual feedback. How you can be so sure about GT's physics accuracy, when PD have never made such details public is beyond me.

What I see is a simple display of temperatures, which we can assume is an approximation of surface temperature as you say, due to the speed at which it goes up and down. It seems fairly reasonable. But what about the core temperatures? Pressures? If you heat the surface of the tyre in this manner for long enough, it raises the overall temperature of the tyre too. I see no evidence of this. Could it be there? Certainly, but I haven't done a race that is long enough to feel the effect, nor is there any data to show it happening. Most PC sims model the surface temperature fluctuations as well as the core temps and pressures, which causes grip levels to vary considerably during a session. The raw data is there, measurable, in many PC sims, which you confidently dismiss as incorrect, and yet you are so sure that GT has it right, despite there being only a vague colour representation of some kind of data.

GT might have a great model now. It might be getting a whole lot of stuff right. But without hard numbers, you are just guessing like the rest of us, and yet you make such confident statements.

And you are outright lying about no transition from grip to slip. Try iRacing for no transition.
I agree that SatansReverence is wrong for saying there is no transition. The tyres are nicely controllable in GT6. The tyre squeal seems to start too early, at barely any slip angle, so he might be talking about that, but I guess that's either poor audio or an attempt to help inform the driver with an exaggerated tyre noise. But I don't agree that iRacing has 'no transition' either. This is typical of your dismissive assessments of sims you don't like, and totally unfair on the great work that the iRacing team have done. I get a fantastic feel of slip in iRacing, so much detail and subtlety going on. I guess you are referring to the problems it has over the limit where the tyre seems to give up grip too quickly. It is unusually hard to hold certain cars in continuous drifts in iRacing, most people will agree with that. But the detailed feel you get from shallow slip angles, long before you get into this drifty territory, is superb.

Another example, SatansReverence said there is no tyre flex in GT6. A definitive statement that baffles me. How does he know? Because it's not visually represented? There are plenty of sims that model tyre flex with no visual representation. GT might do this, it might not. I don't think PD have ever confirmed or denied it. I certainly can't 'feel' tyre flex - I can't feel it in real life either, nor can I feel it in AC or iRacing, both of which are confirmed to model it. I find it impossible to single-out the feel of tyre flex when there is so much other movement happening in the rest of the suspension... the only time I feel specific tyre flex in reality is on a pushbike with no shocks.

I was trying the Pagani Huranioya and I think it had the hood/bonnett cam.
Unfortunately not. The camera is still too high. I think it varies based on the height of the car, so some seem pretty low, but it's not a proper hood cam. I don't think it matters now that there is cockpit view for all cars, because that is the height I want the hood camera at, but I can understand how it would be annoying for some people.

Dibbz

Once again, you seem to be making definitive statements about a very technical aspect of the sim, based on some basic visual feedback. How you can be so sure about GT's physics accuracy, when PD have never made such details public is beyond me.

What I see is a simple display of temperatures, which we can assume is an approximation of surface temperature as you say, due to the speed at which it goes up and down. It seems fairly reasonable. But what about the core temperatures? Pressures? If you heat the surface of the tyre in this manner for long enough, it raises the overall temperature of the tyre too. I see no evidence of this. Could it be there? Certainly, but I haven't done a race that is long enough to feel the effect, nor is there any data to show it happening. Most PC sims model the surface temperature fluctuations as well as the core temps and pressures, which causes grip levels to vary considerably during a session. The raw data is there, measurable, in many PC sims, which you confidently dismiss as incorrect, and yet you are so sure that GT has it right, despite there being only a vague colour representation of some kind of data.

GT might have a great model now. It might be getting a whole lot of stuff right. But without hard numbers, you are just guessing like the rest of us, and yet you make such confident statements.

I just want to point out something. I don't have the game yet but put time into the GT6 Academy demo. I done something like 10 lap stint in the GTR at Silverstone and can tell you that the core tire temp was rising lap after lap. The car was understeering a lot and I had to slow down for a lap to let the temps drop. I was actually stunned when I realised what was going on. Unless something has changed in the retail game I'd say the new tire stuff is a pretty complex under the surface, mind the pun.

I just want to point out something. I don't have the game yet but put time into the GT6 Academy demo. I done something like 10 lap stint in the GTR at Silverstone and can tell you that the core tire temp was rising lap after lap. The car was understeering a lot and I had to slow down for a lap to let the temps drop. I was actually stunned when I realised what was going on. Unless something has changed in the retail game I'd say the new tire stuff is a pretty complex under the surface, mind the pun.
Really? that sounds awesome, but can't say I've noticed that in the full version.

Are you sure? I'd have expected that kind of thing to be disabled for the Academy, so that you could do your fastest lap immediately, rather than allowing those who could be bothered the heat the tyres for many laps to have an advantage.

IISANDERII

I'm doing events that permit up to 550pp and I'm still easily winning with a car which is 386pp. How low do you need to go before you're challenged?

otapnam

I'm doing events that permit up to 550pp and I'm still easily winning with a car which is 386pp. How low do you need to go before you're challenged?

haha damn. what class are u up to?

didnt get to play last night but i passed all the national Missions relatively easy. Also slaughtered the first set of races with the NSX

ruttyboy

As far as I can tell, the weaker your car, the slower the AI goes (especially on the last lap(s)), so I wouldn't pat yourself on the back too much ;-)

The cars used to slow down a bit on the final lap in GT5, but 6 has taken it way too far. I was used to GT AIs just giving up once you pass them, but for them to give up so much even before you pass them is pretty saddening.

IISANDERII

haha damn. what class are u up to?

didnt get to play last night but i passed all the national Missions relatively easy. Also slaughtered the first set of races with the NSX
Still very early, International B I think. Think I'm only up to the first mission, GTR at Silverstone and that was very good.
Edit: National B, not International B oops

Try racing with harder tires and assists off and you'll quickly find how challenging it can become
I have all assists off except ABS, but good idea on the tires, I'll try that.

As far as I can tell, the weaker your car, the slower the AI goes (especially on the last lap(s)), so I wouldn't pat yourself on the back too much ;-)

The cars used to slow down a bit on the final lap in GT5, but 6 has taken it way too far. I was used to GT AIs just giving up once you pass them, but for them to give up so much even before you pass them is pretty saddening.
Yeah I noticed that too but I wasn't sure. On lap 1 they disappear on the straights but then on the final lap I don't think they're even flooring it anymore even on the straights.
I'm going to try to downgrade my car even further and see if the AI comes to a complete standstill.

commedieu

Banned

I mean the GTR race's A.I was aggressive and awesome, I was on the edge of my.. thumbsticks, with that race.

The rest..well..

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Another example, SatansReverence said there is no tyre flex in GT6. A definitive statement that baffles me. How does he know? Because it's not visually represented? There are plenty of sims that model tyre flex with no visual representation. GT might do this, it might not. I don't think PD have ever confirmed or denied it. I certainly can't 'feel' tyre flex - I can't feel it in real life either, nor can I feel it in AC or iRacing, both of which are confirmed to model it. I find it impossible to single-out the feel of tyre flex when there is so much other movement happening in the rest of the suspension... the only time I feel specific tyre flex in reality is on a pushbike with no shocks.

Tyre flex can be felt in the real world (to claim otherwise means you have never once had a car on it's absolute limit) and simulators that simulate it.

All of that post mentioning detail and subtlety on the edge in iRacing, that is tyre flex. It's so mind numbingly obvious GT6 does not simulate it. Hell, in GT6 a Honda Fit, Ferrari F40, Jaguar XKR-S and Z4 GT3 all produce the same g force @ 100kph with the same tyre compound. How anyone can act as though it's some sort of advanced simulation is beyond me...

I've got to say, this is the most fun I've had with Gran Turismo since GT5 Prologue. 6 is very accessible from the first race, loading times are leaner compared to 5, and I could even buy the car of my choice earlier on. Even the license tests seem better. There's a challenge without the frustration that I had in 5 when trying to complete similar tests to progress in the game. Last night I started the 2nd Now, I'm on the National B section, using my car and having a blast filling up the gold stars for the available events.

ruttyboy

I mean the GTR race's A.I was aggressive and awesome, I was on the edge of my.. thumbsticks, with that race.

The rest..well..

Even that AI was pretty shit, on the back straight it would just drive into the back of you even if you were going in a perfectly straight line all the way down.

In fact at the time I assumed it could catch me on the straights because it had been given a more powerful car, but from other people's comments, was that actually rubber banding?

Outside of the missions and special races, I am enjoying using my volvo c30 for all the races it qualifies for.

My collectors project right now is to have all the cars used in the fast and the furious franchise in my garage lol

Top Bottom