• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Just tried the Kart World race in the 100cc kart championships.

Okay, Polyphony, I get it, I'm not good at video games, please stop rubbing it in :( :( :(

Megasoum

Banned
Just tried the Kart World race in the 100cc kart championships.

Okay, Polyphony, I get it, I'm not good at video games, please stop rubbing it in :( :( :(

Yeah the Karting stuff sucks... the only thing I have skipped so far in the career (well that and the cone challenges).

ethomaz

Banned
This so far has been the only challenging gold for me. Every other mission/license gold is a cakewalk compared to prior GT games.
Well I will give a break with this gold.... when I install my wheel I will do it. I agree with you... I'm on middle of International B and even the licenses test are easy.

GT5 is a hell of difficult compared with that one :D

conman

Yeah, Karts were fun. Challenging, but in a good way. Taught me to me much more attentive to understeer (brake early and exaggerate the out-in-out line).

lem0n

Been banned for a month, so I haven't been able to contribute here. Been loving the game since it came out, went and bought a PS3 just for it! Found a sweet backwards compatible PS, even! Score!

Anyways, been noticing how much easier the license tests are now compared to 4 or 5. Do they start to get impossible soon? Been breezing through them lately, but I'm now having to take much more time with the iB ones... Do they just get impossible higher up? Worried because I love completing games but never being able to gold the later licenses in GT games has always bugged me. It's the OCD haha.

Yeah, Karts were fun. Challenging, but in a good way. Taught me to me much more attentive to understeer (brake early and exaggerate the out-in-out line).

The Junior karts I found fantastic, they were stupid fun. The 100cc karts, though, I spin out all the time at seemingly random intervals. Once I even spun out while going around the big carousel turn in Kart World. I haven't even made it to the third race yet. I might have to move on and give up getting every star if this keeps up.

I did take the advice from people giving me tips on proper S2000 driving, as I figured something similar would be at work here--I've been feathering the throttle more and generally trying not to slam the accelerator to the floor very much. But then I can't seem to catch up to 1st place within the allotted five laps. And even trying to be careful, I still spin out or rub a wall and at that point I basically have to restart.

ethomaz

Banned
The Junior karts I found fantastic, they were stupid fun. The 100cc karts, though, I spin out all the time at seemingly random intervals. Once I even spun out while going around the big carousel turn in Kart World. I haven't even made it to the third race yet. I might have to move on and give up getting every star if this keeps up.
For the 100cc karts races buy the "Racing Kart 100" without any other works at the end... the "Racing Kart 100 SPL" is slow (I don't know why).... and to make it easy downgrade the max speed to 100km/h (I don't know how much in miles but it is the lowest speed) so you have better acceleration but lower top speed (the karts tracks have few spots to reach top speed).

That's make these races easy for me... like I got first in the second lap or early.

TTG

The Diablo GT2 is an early candidate for the most finicky, bite your head off widow maker in the game. On race hards it gives you just an inkling, the sense that you can manage, and you will for a number of laps, but it will have you in the end.

Still, if anyone is looking to learn delicate car control in the game, give the lambo a try for half an hour or so(again on race hard). Any stab, correction or otherwise, sends you flying; you have to be really reserved and patient with it while it careens sideways off the track.

red731

6d5.jpg
I should buy a wheel...
This game deserves it...and ETS2 deserves it too.

televator

So far this game is looking better than GT5. I'm not too far in however and who knows what sort of things I'll notice. One thing I did notice is the lack of brake distance being calculated for you. GT4 did this and its absence since still baffles me now. So far it's just one small thing, but the way I like to describe my issues with GT5 was that it was like death by a thousand small cuts. So I hope GT6 isn't going to have much more of these little irksome omissions.

Things that really pleased me were that all factory colors have returned, it's much easier to test drive your modifications, keep different tunes, and wheels, wheels, WHEELS! OMG Advan RGIIs and Rays CE28s are fucking sex on my Hondas! As much of a performance guy that I am, being fast is partly ruined if you don't look goooooooooood doing it. LOL!

TTG

The Mclaren F1 GTR is so different from GT5's road car(don't have one in GT6 yet), it couldn't be any more precise and stable. Honestly, the confidence it inspires is something else. Quick comparison around Spa:

Honda HSV-010 Anniversary - 2.13.983 - 600PP, 591hp, 1100kg, 300 and 550 aero
Mclaren F1 GTR - 2.11.977 - 618PP, 600hp, 1050kg, 400 and 550 aero
Audi R18 TDI Anniversary - 2.08.031 - 631PP, 552hp, 900kg, 450 and 680 aero

I meant to throw the FXX in the comparo, but GT apparently thinks it's a road car, street brakes and all. So I went with the monster Audi instead. Everything is bone stock and the Mclaren has A LOT of room to grow, max aero is a whopping 500 front and 700 rear. With that kind of chassis and down force I'll bet it can handle all of 850ish possible hp without going all looney toones. Really impressed with it.

If you find the times embarrassingly slow, I didn't spend all night hammering them out. Just a clean lap without major mistakes... and I leave skid recovery off and bla bla bla excuses

EGOMON

Been banned for a month, so I haven't been able to contribute here. Been loving the game since it came out, went and bought a PS3 just for it! Found a sweet backwards compatible PS, even! Score!

Anyways, been noticing how much easier the license tests are now compared to 4 or 5. Do they start to get impossible soon? Been breezing through them lately, but I'm now having to take much more time with the iB ones... Do they just get impossible higher up? Worried because I love completing games but never being able to gold the later licenses in GT games has always bugged me. It's the OCD haha.

No they don't get impossible but a bit harder especially the S license but still manageable i found the challenges more difficult to finish

Ty4on

TTG

Yep, modified F1 GTR = 2.05.8 I do believe I'm on the space needle folks. If you find a faster car shaped car in GT6, let me know. This looks like it's it. To reiterate: Mclaren F1 GTR at Spa on race hard tires runs in 2:05's, that's driven by a dope with a ds3 mind you. And it's rock solid.

668 PP, 866hp, 632 ft-lbs, 1050kg, 500 and 700 aero, tweaked trans and that's it, the rest I left untouched.

Anyone can answer this about the Bathurst track?

Is there a V8 Supercar or Touring Car race on the circuit as part of the single player? Thinking of picking up a used copy of GT6 if I can see it cheap. Was hugely disappointed with GT5 but Bathurst is really hard to resist.

Eusis

Can anyone explain why the damage system is as bad as it is in GT? I figured initially that being licensed cars they weren't really allowed to show how they'd get wrecked (doubly so if they accurately figure it out and DON'T want that shown to the world) but games like Forza and Need for Speed clearly go with it, so maybe I'm wrong.

Then again I'm seeing comments about Forza's not being remotely right either and Need for Speed notably does NOT play like Burnout despite Hot Pursuit implementing Burnout-style Takedowns, so maybe it's just they're pushing for SOME damage even if they're not being accurate with it and sort of avoiding it.

Can anyone explain why the damage system is as bad as it is in GT? I figured initially that being licensed cars they weren't really allowed to show how they'd get wrecked (doubly so if they accurately figure it out and DON'T want that shown to the world) but games like Forza and Need for Speed clearly go with it, so maybe I'm wrong.

Then again I'm seeing comments about Forza's not being remotely right either and Need for Speed notably does NOT play like Burnout despite Hot Pursuit implementing Burnout-style Takedowns, so maybe it's just they're pushing for SOME damage even if they're not being accurate with it and sort of avoiding it.

Simple answer is that it's something that PD didn't want in the series in the first place. It's there because fans requested it.

Eusis

Simple answer is that it isn't something that PD wanted in the series in the first place. It's there because fans requested it.
Ah, kind of surprised given how they want to be so realistic, but then I guess they want to recreate the best of driving, not letting a car easily get totaled as would happen in real life.
you're not supposed to crash. if you do, you should restart the race >_>
And I guess that's true too. If you want to be authentic you hit restart right then and there, because no one's going to keep racing after crashing their cars.

Ah, kind of surprised given how they want to be so realistic, but then I guess they want to recreate the best of driving, not letting a car easily get totaled as would happen in real life.

I just remember Kaz saying that he doesn't like seeing cars smashed up. With that said, I think that it'll improve with GT7. They were pushing the PS3 to the brink with GT6, so calculating improved damage would've likely resulted in a performance hit. They did a good job at listening to general feedback after GT5, so i'd expect the same to be the case with GT6 and the lack of visual and mechanical damage is probably the biggest complaint with GT6.

TTG

Simple answer is that it's something that PD didn't want in the series in the first place. It's there because fans requested it.

That's my impression as well. Fans.. well to be fair a significant part of that contingent were people using a lack of damage as ammunition, so not all fans, howled and moaned before the release of GT5 and this is the result.

They just need to clean up the dents, abrasions and the SOUND of collisions most of all and call it a day. It's fundamentally useless to really simulate damage because I doubt most of the audience would even stand for limping to the pits with a flat tire, forget the DNFs that would rain down. That's why GTA is already ahead of them in that department.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I would be against it as well unless it meant big changes for the career mode. I slam into the back of some 10th place moving road block going about 20mph faster through a corner on a regular basis. You're already fighting through that bullshit to get to the front of the pack within the time allotted, it would mean retrying every race nearly as often as license tests.

Dead Man

Anyone can answer this about the Bathurst track?

Don't know about touring cars, but there are no current V8 Supercars in the game. So no V8 race at the home of the V8's :(

That's my impression as well. Fans.. well to be fair a significant part of that contingent were people using a lack of damage as ammunition, so not all fans, howled and moaned before the release of GT5 and this is the result.

They just need to clean up the dents, abrasions and the SOUND of collisions most of all and call it a day. It's fundamentally useless to really simulate damage because I doubt most of the audience would even stand for limping to the pits with a flat tire, forget the DNFs that would rain down. That's why GTA is already ahead of them in that department.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I would be against it as well unless it meant big changes for the career mode. I slam into the back of some 10th place moving road block going about 20mph faster through a corner on a regular basis. You're already fighting through that bullshit to get to the front of the pack within the time allotted, it would mean retrying every race nearly as often as license tests.
All they have to do is a have an option to toggle it off.

JamboGT

Well, there is one V8 Supercar but it is an old one. There is a Touring Car race there, in the 550 and 600PP Touring Car championships but as stated, not specifically a V8 one.

Don't know about touring cars, but there are no current V8 Supercars in the game. So no V8 race at the home of the V8's :(

All they have to do is a have an option to toggle it off.

Thanks for the reply. So what do they use the Bathurst track for in the single player?

ethomaz

Banned
The spl versions of the Karts have a different paintscheme.
I think it is not only paint because I bought it first and can't even get close to the first place (even giving my better the first positions started to put some gap over me)... so I just bought the normal version and for my happiness in the first race I always was racing close to the 1st place... so with the normal what matter was just my skills.... with the SPL even if I did some kind of miracle I think I will only get 2nd or 3rd.

Changing the top speed just make more easy to win the races but I can do that with the default top speed too.

Mathezar

Up to now (National A) I have managed to gold everything (including Kart events and the infamous B-5 GT-R battle), but I am having difficulty with the Coffee Break Drift Challenge (on Autumn Ring Mini). I can't seem to do a proper drift and keep spinning out or end up off track with no points for the time I actually did sort-of drift. So far I can only reach enough points for a bronze.

Any tips please? Especially on (controller) settings, I only use a Dual Shock 3...

JPodz

Banned
Thanks for the reply. So what do they use the Bathurst track for in the single player?

You said you played GT5 so I assume you know how single payer works.....Bathurst is just another track you race races on during events in career mode, that's all.

The Aventador LP700 with no TCS... mwwaa! Fun as shit to drive. Just the right amount of slide and white knuckling on the edge. Doesn't sound half bad for a GT car either.

Stop listening to people who say the AI gets better. "More aggressive" is the absolute last thing you want with this idiotic AI. My most recent new benchmark in shit AI was at Route X for the Like the Wind event. I was about 5 seconds ahead of the pack, checking my rear view mirror. Oh what is that? A Veyron. No need to draft doge, plenty of track left I can re-pass it once it gets past me. Ok.. getting closer.... closer. Ok there is like 7 open lanes of track to pass me on to might right and 9,000 on the left. I am going as dead straight as humanely possible. Annnnnnnnnnd up the ass blast spin out pit maneuver. Fucking classic. The AI has no awareness of the increased speeds from drafting. In braking after straights or on the biggest, widest god damn straight away in the game they still just smash right into you. Sooooo much fun repeating the route X event because you got spun out on the GT equivalent of the salt flats. But yeah, the AI is lacking aggression. Enjoy that.

IISANDERII

Up to now (National A) I have managed to gold everything (including Kart events and the infamous B-5 GT-R battle), but I am having difficulty with the Coffee Break Drift Challenge (on Autumn Ring Mini). I can't seem to do a proper drift and keep spinning out or end up off track with no points for the time I actually did sort-of drift. So far I can only reach enough points for a bronze.

Any tips please? Especially on (controller) settings, I only use a Dual Shock 3...
You don't have to do 90 degree drifts, even some angle can net you goods points. And don't use the e-brake or if you do, use it very conservatively. Also, you probably need to go slower and in fact a slower drift will net you more points.

Just getting the first license tests done for online play.

It is pretty cool, I think, watching your friends license replays simultaneously. RounD ahead as usual!

Morning, GT GAF!

I wanted your reaction to something I heard Garnett Lee say during a recent Weekend Confirmed podcast, in which he heaped praise on GT6, in regards to the AI.

Somebody asked about the AI and Garnett pointed out GT remains a "driving simulator" and not a "racing simulator." He said the real battle is the player versus the track and that other computer controlled cars exist as a barometer of the player's performance. He actually compared it to golf. Each computer controlled car is setting a pace and the real battle is against the clock.

And for the first time, it clicked. I think he may be right and I wanted to know what you thought. I know GT has been criticized for its AI, but in this context, it makes a lot of sense.

BTW, I have not played a GT game since 4 on the PS2. I did not (and do not) own a PS3 and have been a member of Forza GAF for the past four years, but I am reacquainting myself with GT because I bought a PS4 instead of a XONE.

I am very excited to get my hands on a PS4 version of GT and hope something releases soon-ish, even if it is a teaser of a few tracks and a dozen cars.

DEO3

I'm surprised how easy the last Goodwood event was, I think I earned the gold by a couple seconds on my 6th or 7th attempt.

Morning, GT GAF!

I wanted your reaction to something I heard Garnett Lee say during a recent Weekend Confirmed podcast, in which he heaped praise on GT6, in regards to the AI.

Somebody asked about the AI and Garnett pointed out GT remains a "driving simulator" and not a "racing simulator." He said the real battle is the player versus the track and that other computer controlled cars exist as a barometer of the player's performance. He actually compared it to golf. Each computer controlled car is setting a pace and the real battle is against the clock.

And for the first time, it clicked. I think he may be right and I wanted to know what you thought. I know GT has been criticized for its AI, but in this context, it makes a lot of sense.

BTW, I have not played a GT game since 4 on the PS2. I did not (and do not) own a PS3 and have been a member of Forza GAF for the past four years, but I am reacquainting myself with GT because I bought a PS4 instead of a XONE.

I am very excited to get my hands on a PS4 version of GT and hope something releases soon-ish, even if it is a teaser of a few tracks and a dozen cars.

For some time now the strength of the GT franchise has definitely been in the driving simulator realm more than the racing simulator one. I think they need to play to this strength waaaaay more. The coffee breaks, special events, license tetst, etc are all great ways to enjoy driving that isn't exclusively racing. However, the majority of the single player experience still consists of races and they are garbage. Horrible AI, bullshit spread out rolling starts, no qualy, and always starting in last. If GT races are like like golf, the AI is wallowing in the bunker, not a establishing "par".

PD needs to put a lot more emphasis in online racing. Cultivate clean competitive behavior and you will always have more rewarding racing experiences against real life counterparts than all the cloud driven AI you could ever muster. Single player should be all about driving, not unimaginative races that we have been doing since GT1.

ethomaz

Banned
The AI is not bad...
The AI in the Carree Mode is... it didn't show the maxed AI of the game... just low level AI.

If you set the highest AI difficult in others mode it is good.

MisterM

The AI is pretty dull but its the rolling starts that turn it into a 'smash your way to the front in 2 laps' race.

Its slightly less painful when you're doing more laps but having 1st place halfway round the first corner as you cross the starting line every time is a piss take.

Morning, GT GAF!

That actually makes a lot of sense. A lot of high end sims don't even have an option for AI simply because it's so hard to make a "good" AI.

The AI is pretty dull but its the rolling starts that turn it into a 'smash your way to the front in 2 laps' race.

Its slightly less painful when you're doing more laps but having 1st place halfway round the first corner as you cross the starting line every time is a piss take.

What bothers me the most is the AI doesn't challenge each other. Always a perfect single file into turn one, which give the player the classic GT express lane down the inside and smash cars at will with zero penalty or detriment.

conman

I wonder if some of the issues folks are having with Karts has to do with whether or not they play with or without Traction Control on other races (this might also apply to the poster above who is having problems with drifting). Because there is no Traction Control on the Karts, it might be the only vehicle that some people are playing without TC. Just a guess, but those of us who regularly play without assists might not be having the same issue. The Kart events took more tries than usual, but only on the order of 2 or 3 instead of 1 try.

Also, anyone else find it annoying that you constantly have to reset the Traction Control to 0 for every new car and mission? Seems like that should be a no-brainer for a universal setting.

Top Bottom