• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

raYne

Ploid 3.0 said:
I have done it in GTA:SA actually. Train and bike, trains and bike, train and vehicle, trains and vehicles, jetpack and trains, etc etc. In tunnels of course.
Agreed, so I'm not seeing the "omg awesome!".

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
raYne said:
What's so special about the train pic? Haven't you guys done that in the other games?

Well it depends on the game for me. Basically, I love it in first person, but it always comes across stupid in third person games.
Water splashing the camera makes more sense in third person games, because it's possible that someone is chasing your character around with a camera. It doesn't make sense that you're carrying a camera and a gun. The helmet in Metroid Prime was a nice touch though.

raYne

SapientWolf said:
Water splashing the camera makes more sense in third person games, because it's possible that someone is chasing your character around with a camera. It doesn't make sense that you're carrying a camera and a gun. The helmet in Metroid Prime was a nice touch though.
Perhaps, but in first person it pulls you into the environment. Water splashes and not so much lensflare, but bright/dark exposure transitions etc.

It doesn't actually make more sense in 3rd person, since there isn't actually someone with a camera following you. So if you want to reach that far, you can also pretend that in first person, your character is wearing glasses. :lol :p

Agreed about the MP helmet interaction.

raYne said:
Perhaps, but in first person it pulls you into the environment. Water splashes and not so much lensflare, but bright/dark exposure transitions etc.

It doesn't actually make more sense in 3rd person, since there isn't actually someone with a camera following you. So if you want to reach that far, you can also pretend that in first person, your character is wearing glasses. :lol :p

Agreed about the MP helmet interaction.
Just pretend you are seeing from the view of a Lakitu dangling a camera from his fishing pole.

Himuro said:
That Houser quote didn't impress me. They've been chasing you when you jack their cars for the longest.
That was only the set up. The point was that the chaser got randomly run over by a car crashing through shops as soon as Houser turned to fight him.

raYne

rogue_pigeon said:
That was only the set up. The point was that the chaser got randomly run over by a car crashing through shops as soon as Houser turned to fight him.
Even that isn't anything special. It happens a bunch of times in many sandbox titles.

Random craziness is a staple of the genre.

raYne

oneHeero said:
Does anyone know about the special edition? I just saw what it is, but wasnt sure if already mentioned.
Meaning if it's new news? Nah, it's been known for a long time.

Metal box w/
-Game
-Rockstar duffel bag
-Soundtrack
-Keychain.
-Art book

oneHeero

raYne said:
Meaning if it's new news? Nah, it's been known for a long time.

Metal box w/
-Game
-Rockstar duffel bag
-Soundtrack
-Keychain.
-Art book
Perfect, just making sure, hadnt seen what it was yet. Thanks! Its pretty good for 90bucks.

raYne

Kafel said:
You can still find the LE ?
Saw the pre-edit pics. :p

It'd be hilarious if you can trip over stuff or drop down the stairs if you're in too much of a hurry. :lol

oneHeero said:
Perfect, just making sure, hadnt seen what it was yet. Thanks! Its pretty good for 90bucks.
gta4-sp_360_lg.jpg

gta4-sp_ps3_lg.jpg

Your choice. :D

So you've been talking about the GAME for months, wishing you could play the GAME, then the day comes when the GAME is released, you buy the GAME, you take the GAME home and put it into your GAME console and play the GAME with your hands.

But water splashing on the screen is the unrealistic part :lol

The game is made as a movie would be made, in the same style, just like an interactive movie. And as an interactive movie, it will (and should) have camara flares, water splashing on the screen and depth of field.
Actually, water on the screen isn't a movie thing, but a game thing. You can make a game that is too movie like, so it is needed to bring you back into the game. The same with blood.

It's not supposed to be a sim.

This may seem kinda random, but will the cops finally give chase if you're speeding or running a red light? Will we have to observe the rules of the road?

Verboten said:
This may seem kinda random, but will the cops finally give chase if you're speeding or running a red light? Will we have to observe the rules of the road?

I haven't heard that will take place, thankfully. Leave that shit for other games.

painey said:
what is so impressive about that particular picture? You could ride your bike alongside trains in previous GTA games..

Personally, what tickles me about this pic is what it may portend- a completely explorable network of underground subway tunnels. Imagine riding your bike on the tracks, following an above-ground train in Broker into the darkness, barreling alongside it, then veering off at a fork in the track. Maybe you pass a few mole people, crazy hobos living underground, then have to swerve into them to avoid an oncoming train. You finally reach a station, grind your bike up some steps, and cruise out into Star Junction.

Or the cops chase you down into a subway, and you hop onto the tracks to get away. They hop down after you, only to be crushed by an oncoming subway train while you roll onto the next track.

I'm really excited about this feature.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Verboten said:

i think i heard somewhere that it will happen, some magazine.

newsguy

The edge article was good. I enjoy reading what Houser has to say about the series. It's funny cause when he hypes things like Euphoria I know with any other developer it's PR speak. When I read what Houser says it sounds genuine, like this is his baby and they finally got to use a tech that takes it to another level. Overall there wasn't much new stuff in the article though. As for the car crashing through a shop and killing the guy chasing Niko, I think the important part there is that it's assumed these things are happening more often. Even totilo from MTV mentioned that there's more random stuff going on this time around.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Gexecuter said:
i think i heard somewhere that it will happen, some magazine.

Well then, I guess that settles it... :lol

just messin with you man

newsguy

Actually it was mentioned early on, and somewhere in this thread a few of us had the discussion. If you run a red light and there's a cop in the vicinity you will get a star. I was against it, well, because I don't stop for no one bitch. I'm bummed that it's in, but as long as there's not cops on every street corner it shouldn't get annoying.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
recklessmind said:
Well then, I guess that settles it... :lol

just messin with you man

:lol yeah i dunno if its true or not but the edge interview where they mentioned you can either pay a toll bridge or smash the barrier (which i assume will get the cops on you) will probably mean that this time there will be more real life rules to follow or break.

Gexecuter said:
:lol yeah i dunno if its true or not but the edge interview where they mentioned you can either pay a toll bridge or smash the barrier (which i assume will get the cops on you) will probably mean that this time there will be more real life rules to follow or break.

Yeah but that really won't interrupt the joy of driving. That's a big part of GTA for many people and I think adding in running red lights is something that could tick people off.

Tr4nce

kylej said:
I think I have hit my saturation point. Might take a break from the news and leave some surprises for myself now.

I also said that a few days ago, but this game just won't leave my head alone. It's like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHH GET OUT OF MY HEAD

RumFore

Banned
Gexecuter said:

Speaking of tolls, I had no idea GTA:SA had them until a few days ago. I was driving around and was crossing over a bridge from a small town and was amazed that every car slowed down to a stop for the toll. There were a bunch of cars in front of me so I sad the hell with it.

Evolved1

SolidSnakex said:
Yeah but that really won't interrupt the joy of driving. That's a big part of GTA for many people and I think adding in running redlights is something that could tick people off.

All that shit certainly didn't help the Driver games. It was alright in the first one, because the game was kind of built around all that. But when they tried to do the open world thing with the latter games... it became increasingly annoying and felt further and further out of place.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
RumFore said:
Speaking of tolls, I had no idea GTA:SA had them until a few days ago. I was driving around and was crossing over a bridge from a small town and was amazed that every car slowed down to a stop for the toll. There were a bunch of cars in front of me so I sad the hell with it.

you didn`t stop for the booth?, did you get a star or something?.

dejay

Banned
notjackbauer said:
Personally, what tickles me about this pic is what it may portend- a completely explorable network of underground subway tunnels. Imagine riding your bike on the tracks, following an above-ground train in Broker into the darkness, barreling alongside it, then veering off at a fork in the track. Maybe you pass a few mole people, crazy hobos living underground, then have to swerve into them to avoid an oncoming train. You finally reach a station, grind your bike up some steps, and cruise out into Star Junction.

Or the cops chase you down into a subway, and you hop onto the tracks to get away. They hop down after you, only to be crushed by an oncoming subway train while you roll onto the next track.

I'm really excited about this feature.

Speaking of hobos living underground, I wonder if that group of 4 hobos you see underground in GTA III will make a cameo.

Evolved1

dejay said:
Speaking of hobos living underground, I wonder if that group of 4 hobos you see underground in GTA III will make a cameo.

I can't remember... was that the mission where you were supposed to kill them with a molotov cocktail?

Or was that just me being creative... :lol

X26

Banned
recklessmind said:
I can't remember... was that the mission where you were supposed to kill them with a molotov cocktail?

Or was that just me being creative... :lol

Sounds familiar...I think they spawned close by...coincidentaly

newsguy

How do you guys even remember that far back? I'm convinced my memory was burned by the time I was out of high school. I don't even remember specific things about San Andreas let alone part 3. The only speicific thing I remember about the subway tracks in the original was taking cops through chases down there.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
newsguy said:
The edge article was good. I enjoy reading what Houser has to say about the series. It's funny cause when he hypes things like Euphoria I know with any other developer it's PR speak. When I read what Houser says it sounds genuine, like this is his baby and they finally got to use a tech that takes it to another level. Overall there wasn't much new stuff in the article though. As for the car crashing through a shop and killing the guy chasing Niko, I think the important part there is that it's assumed these things are happening more often. Even totilo from MTV mentioned that there's more random stuff going on this time around.
I know the term is being tossed around a lot now, but this sounds like true emergent gameplay.

Verboten said:
I hope not, that would take away a lot of the fun.

newsguy

MrTroubleMaker said:

I actually went way back to find this because it seems people are bringing it up again.

From the first big Gamespot preview:

As Niko came upon a toll booth on his way to the bar, our demonstrator slowed down and allowed him to pay. As with most things in the game, normal acts like stopping at red lights and paying tolls are optional but can affect your wanted level if you don't abide by them.

There was alot of discussion about this, but only if there's a cop at said intersection will you gain a star. It would be absurd to have motorcycles and supercars in the city if you had to follow the rules in the game. R* wouldn't screw us like this.

newsguy said:
I actually went way back to find this because it seems people are bringing it up again.

From the first big Gamespot preview:

There was alot of discussion about this, but only if there's a cop at said intersection will you gain a star. It would be aburd to have motorcycles and supercars in the city if you had to follow the rules in the game. R* wouldn't screw us like this.
That's an interesting quote, but yeah, I hope it's reasonable like you stated.

ascii42

MrTroubleMaker said:
Yeah, that was a lot of what made Driver and Driver 2 so freaking hard. I remember honking my horn in Driver 2, behind a cop stopped at a traffic light. Then my wanted bar went up and the cop then attempted to destroy my car with his.

X26

Banned
I can see traffic laws being enforced by cops against peds, but the player not so much, would be a bit silly

ascii42 said:
Yeah, that was a lot of what made Driver and Driver 2 so freaking hard. I remember honking my horn in Driver 2, behind a cop stopped at a traffic light. Then my wanted bar went up and the cop then attempted to destroy my car with his.
yeah, that's bad :( there is no fun in that

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Another question comes to mind...would cops throw you out of the car with guns blazing just for running a red light?

It'd be cool to have a cop pull you over, come to your car, go back to his patrol car to run your tags...and have a random chance of having your stars go up or disappear altogether. Or you could just pull a Fargo. :D

chubigans said:
Another question comes to mind...would cops throw you out of the car with guns blazing just for running a red light?

It'd be cool to have a cop pull you over, come to your car, go back to his patrol car to run your tags...and have a random chance of having your stars go up or disappear altogether. Or you could just pull a Fargo. :D
:lol wow

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
chubigans said:

While we're on that subject, Driver had the most ridiculously aggressive cops... It wouldn't take much to set them off and they would not stop until your car was a smoldering pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom