• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsguy said:
I actually went way back to find this because it seems people are bringing it up again.

From the first big Gamespot preview:

There was alot of discussion about this, but only if there's a cop at said intersection will you gain a star. It would be absurd to have motorcycles and supercars in the city if you had to follow the rules in the game. R* wouldn't screw us like this.

Hopefully. Like I said in another thread, sometimes people just want to sit down and drive around in the game, and if you've always got to worry about the police chasing you down if you run a red light that's going to take away some of the enjoyment.

newsguy

SolidSnakex said:
Hopefully. Like I said in another thread, sometimes people just want to sit down and drive around in the game, and if you've always got to worry about the police chasing you down if you run a red light that's going to take away some of the enjoyment.

I agree, I would say it would take away alot of the enjoyment of driving. This actually may have worked in Sand Andreas since there was tons of open space and you could go out into the countryside and just drive. Unfortunately the "driving by the rules" theory doesn't lend itself well to Liberty City. It's not like you have an area that's just open road. We're talking heavily populated cities here. After all of these previews I do feel there would have been a big stink over this if it were an issue. I would say don't sweat it.

I remember it seemed like Driver's cops and FBI cars seemed to be sent from Satan himself, throwing them down at you from the sky like a child playing with his Hotwheels and Matchbox cars.

newsguy said:
I agree, I would say it would take away alot of the enjoyment of driving. This actually may have worked in Sand Andreas since there was tons of open space and you could go out into the countryside and just drive. Unfortunately the "driving by the rules" theory doesn't lend itself well to Liberty City. It's not like you have an area that's just open road. We're talking heavily populated cities here. After all of these previews I do feel there would have been a big stink over this if it were an issue. I would say don't sweat it.

Yep I was just playing GTA3 for example, after I completed a mission I just got in my car and started driving around for around an hour. I don't know how many times I would've been chased by the cops had something like that red light rule would've been in effect, but it would've been a lot. :p I can understand the cops chasing you if you hit a car or hit someone, like in previous GTA games, but they might be trying to be a bit too realistic with this red light stuff. Hopefully it's really no big deal and doesn't take away from the fun of just driving around the city. I find driving around in GTA games to be a lot more fun than in any other open world games, so having stuff like this have a big impact on that aspect would be disappointing to me.

Ploid 3.0

recklessmind said:
All that shit certainly didn't help the Driver games. It was alright in the first one, because the game was kind of built around all that. But when they tried to do the open world thing with the latter games... it became increasingly annoying and felt further and further out of place.

Seriously, I couldn't even make it to the golden gate bridge in drivers free ride mode without getting owned by the police even with trying to drive in the law to the best of my ability. I would either bump a car or get caught by the light. It was annoying. I'm talking about the first driver.

raYne

newsguy said:
There was alot of discussion about this, but only if there's a cop at said intersection will you gain a star. It would be absurd to have motorcycles and supercars in the city if you had to follow the rules in the game. R* wouldn't screw us like this.
Speed traps at the end of the month confirmed.

Dabanton

Verboten said:
I remember it seemed like Driver's cops and FBI cars seemed to be sent from Satan himself, throwing them down at you from the sky like a child playing with his Hotwheels and Matchbox cars.

I'll never forget the final level from the first game.

Damm near impossible.:lol

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
ElyrionX said:
The real question is: where the hell did the helmet come from? Did he yank it off the guy he stole the bike from?

Your guy is packed with massive guns, including miniguns, uzis, bats/katanas, grenades and snipers plus more....

...yet you wonder where the helmet came from?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Dabanton said:
I'll never forget the final level from the first game.

Damm near impossible.:lol

Yeah... and it was all in the rain. :lol

Damn masochistic developers.

newsguy

robertsan21 said:
I personally hope that we get to drive without a helmet if we want to

I think the helmet makes him look badass. I do think it's great how R* takes it into account, it's hilarious. You steal, kill, beat, stab and overall destroy everything, and when it's time to escape, safety first :lol Speaking of bikes, I love what R* did with the animations while on the bike. They've always been spot on. When you turn on a dirtbike, the character will slightly stick out his foot. On a sportbike, he angles his knee out like he's going to scrape it on the curb. So awesome.

FightyF

Banned
I loved the realistic rules in the Getaway, I'm all for them in GTA4.

I think you should be able to go through red lights no problem if there are no cops around. Just like real life...really.

And if you think about it, what made speeding through the city so fun was the fact that there were cops after you.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
FightyF said:
I think you should be able to go through red lights no problem if there are no cops around. Just like real life...really.
Please don't tell me you go through red lights. For the love of fucking god, don't tell me you do.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Too bad it seems that you can't knock your door open to knock off people who try to pull you out of your car. Would have been sweet.

Ploid 3.0

speedpop said:
Please don't tell me you go through red lights. For the love of fucking god, don't tell me you do.

I live in a small southern city in USA. Running redlights are no big deal, and not slowing down, or stopping at a stop sign when there isn't a car on the horizon don't seem like much of a crime either. Good stuff.

FightyF

Banned
speedpop said:

Oh no. Not even at 3am when there's absolutely no traffic.

But if I were in GTA, and it was 3am with little traffic and no cops, you shouldn't have to be chased by cops and have 1 star just because you went through them. Just like in real life.

Just read that Edge article. Big mistake. I gotta have my blood pressure checked one of these days...

Chris R

FightyF said:
But if I were in GTA, and it was 3am with little traffic and no cops, you shouldn't have to be chased by cops and have 1 star just because you went through them. Just like in real life.
You should only get a star if there is a cop waiting at the light or who sees it. If no cop is nearby, run that red :lol

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Linkzg said:
Vice City is only cool in the 80s.

I would like them to revisit San Fierro if anywhere.

I've always wanted to see a Rio/City of God style GTA. Gotta keep things fresh.

gdt

TONX said:

Damn... that would... be... AWESOME!

I dont think it would go with thier "satire of American life" thing though...

Zep said:
I would like if they went overseas...Anywhere.

My favorite would be if they did another huge game after GTA4 was more of a tightly pakced game. Cover the UK, France, Germany, Italy, and other places. It might be too huge, but I still would like to see it.

Zep

Banned
Linkzg said:
My favorite would be if they did another huge game after GTA4 was more of a tightly pakced game. Cover the UK, France, Germany, Italy, and other places. It might be too huge, but I still would like to see it.

Would love that also but can imagine this...

Player 1: Yo dude, come meet me in Dublin
Player 2: Hold on, the Sahara is kicking my ass

j/k but you get the picture :)

MMaRsu

-edit-

I've got some nice screens but the quality is kinda meh, so I don't know if they are cut from scans or anything, so I won't post them. Too bad cause they rock.

You can ride motorcycles without wearing helmets is confirmed by those screens at least.

2005153684971622408_rs.jpg

Awsome

raYne

MMaRsu said:
-edit-

I've got some nice screens but the quality is kinda meh, so I don't know if they are cut from scans or anything, so I won't post them. Too bad cause they rock.

You can ride motorcycles without wearing helmets is confirmed by those screens at least.
If it's the same screens I have:
-The above pic of him leaving the airport area on the bike.
-Niko jumping off building scaffolding w/ explosion behind him.
-Walking down stairs with shotgun.
-Speedboad near Statue of Liberty.

They look like scans to me. Someone also already posted them, but deleted them in a hurry. The ones I have are bigger than that bike pic above though.

Yasser said:
holy shit that's amazing! i could use some of those vouchers to get the ps3 version too, and still have enough to get some of their overpriced boxsets!

Im gonna bet that this voucher of theirs is a bunch of £2.50 off Fifa, £2.50 off Wii part games etc

I pre-ordered from there anyway. 1000 points is better than 500.

Zenith

Banned
FightyF said:
I loved the realistic rules in the Getaway, I'm all for them in GTA4.

Mafia and Driver 4 did the same thing. also if you were on wrong side of road/rear-ended a car next to the police you'd get arrested. not as fun as it sounds.

Dabanton

TONX said:

The thing with the GTA series is it will only work where there are a multitudes of gangs of different ethnicity's

So somewhere like London would work whereas somewhere like Japan wouldn't.

OMG, i know I am pretty late on this but I finally read about the Multiplayer stuff.. HOLY SHIT.

I was gonna buy this game anyways and didn't even expect ANY multiplayer at all, but damn, this is like icing on the cake.

free roam mode will be the fucking win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom