• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT2| Life's A Beach

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
So, apparently when Rockstar said this:

Players in Tanks now have more protection from other players attempting to deliberately give them a Bad Sport rating.

they meant that players in tanks can now destroy personal vehicles by firing upon them, and face no consequences? My brother and I both had our cars blown up by a tank yesterday, and the player in the tank paid nothing towards the insurance. (This could mean that the player had no money, but that seems unlikely, given that he had money to obtain a tank.)

jtrov

Just returned to GTA Online after a bit of a hiatus and damn does it feel good. Having a ton of fun so far just re-exploring the world doing random missions, gang wars, robberies, etc. Looking to enjoy some cooperative action online though if anyone is still around playing on the 360. If anyone is interested in adding me, my GT is: jtrov

Also I'm having no trouble finding Free Aim lobbies, but the second I try searching for a match or job, I can't find a soul to join. Is this becoming another Max Payne 3, where I should just change my aim settings?

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So, apparently when Rockstar said this:

they meant that players in tanks can now destroy personal vehicles by firing upon them, and face no consequences? My brother and I both had our cars blown up by a tank yesterday, and the player in the tank paid nothing towards the insurance. (This could mean that the player had no money, but that seems unlikely, given that he had money to obtain a tank.)

Yep, tanks can do whatever the hell they like without consequences now.

plainr_

I had enough of the constant freezing and textures not loading so I went and traded in my physical copy of GTA V for PSN credit towards getting the digital version. On top of that I threw in a spare SSD in the PS3 and holy cow! No more momentary freezes when driving fast and the textures does not pop in anymore. Also jumping between sessions takes half the time now.

I don't know if it was the switch to the digital version or the SSD or both but whatever it is, made a huge damn difference. No more freezes during car chases for me. Watch out punks. ;)

I had enough of the constant freezing and textures not loading so I went and traded in my physical copy of GTA V for PSN credit towards getting the digital version. On top of that I threw in a spare SSD in the PS3 and holy cow! No more momentary freezes when driving fast and the textures does not pop in anymore. Also jumping between sessions takes half the time now.

I don't know if it was the switch to the digital version or the SSD or both but whatever it is, made a huge damn difference. No more freezes during car chases for me. Watch out punks. ;)

It's the SSD.

E92 M3

Pretty much me and E92 M3 are mucking around with a tank and cargobob right now, it's hilarious. We've just set bounties on each other whilst flying its great.

Yes! Having the tank attached to bobby and using it as a mobile turret is great - especially when we set bounties on each other and everyone flows in. The only thing that sucked was the low health of the helicopter, but if this can be perfected, it's the perfect way to troll others.

At one point I was in the helicopter and a dude came flying in the Buzzard and I just used the tank as the wrecking ball lol.

Mistel

Banned
Yes! Having the tank attached to bobby and using it as a mobile turret is great - especially when we set bounties on each other and everyone flows in. The only thing that sucked was the low health of the helicopter, but if this can be perfected, it's the perfect way to troll others.

At one point I was in the helicopter and a dude came flying in the Buzzard and I just used the tank as the wrecking ball lol.

No mention of my great piloting abilities :'(. We should have two pairs of us doing that. I was in the tank, did you see me take out all of those people at that heliport?

It is great fun to muck around with, especially after the tank pinging into the air at one point.

E92 M3

No mention of my great piloting abilities :'(. We should have two pairs of us doing that. I was in the tank, did you see me take out all of those people at that heliport?

It is great fun to muck around with, especially after the tank pinging into the air at one point.

Yes, it was hilarious. And your piloting skills are too great to be talked about here -- I didn't feel worthy.

Mistel

Banned
Yes, it was hilarious. And your piloting skills are too great to be talked about here -- I didn't feel worthy.
Says the person who crashed into more buildings :p.

How many gaf people are still active on both consoles? We should have like freeroam, and player mission customs days for both of them. It was mentioned in the OP but they haven't posted in a while.

How many gaf people are still active on both consoles? We should have like freeroam, and player mission customs days for both of them. It was mentioned in the OP but they haven't posted in a while.

I play practically every weekend on the 360.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You will probably enjoy this example.

http://youtu.be/OaRwRHDtZLY

Tank air battle.

That's fucking amazing.

Please, for the love of all that is pure and holy in the world, tell me you are on 360.

E92 M3

Every master makes a few mistakes here and now - not easy doing low altitude flight with a tank attached while chasing a sports car :D

Please, for the love of all that is pure and holy in the world, tell me you are on 360.

Indeed I am - what is your GT I'll add you.

Also, Stormtrooper, the bad sport is almost nonexistent when getting kills with the tank. And In any case they toned down massively for destroying personal vehicles. Personally, I don't think there should be any bad sport at all in this game. Chaos and craziness is the only thing that keeps free roam fun.

Mistel

Banned
I'll add you as well more people the merrier, I'll be online in about 2 hours if anyone wants to play.

Bad sport is always full in the lobbies from my brief stint in them, such a stupid mechanic for the game.

Edit: my gamer tag would help its deadly bl0ss0m just send me a friend request.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I did a Gang War near the gas plant and was killed inside a tank. I have no idea what happened. Tank was fine. It's like a bullet said fuck this armor and killed me.

Keasar

Decided to finally give GTA Online a try after avoiding its initial slow start. Got through the tutorial and did a matchmake. Got put alone against a team of two rank 10s with automatic weapons, got murdered. Decided to never play this again.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Decided to finally give GTA Online a try after avoiding its initial slow start. Got through the tutorial and did a matchmake. Got put alone against a team of two rank 10s with automatic weapons, got murdered. Decided to never play this again.

You never have to play DM or LTS again at least. Plenty else to do in the world that isn't pure pvp.

Keasar

You never have to play DM or LTS again at least. Plenty else to do in the world that isn't pure pvp.

Gonna give it another shot sometime, first experience though left a bit of a sour taste. It was a mission where I was gonna pick up a package of weed from some hippies and then deliver it, the other team do the same. What happens is that I get the weed, they stop on the road, shoot me dead with automatic weapons and then glide off. I try chasing after them but since they actually have a dedicated gunner, they just shot me down constantly when I got near.

Tawpgun

GTAO for late new players is brutal. It's
Straight up horrid multiplayer design. Thankfully we can now force weapons on the custom maps.

Mistel

Banned
Straight up horrid multiplayer design. Thankfully we can now force weapons on the custom maps.
It surely is the gap between the first two weapons, you unlock is far too big. Why the micro smg is not given to you is baffling, or at least lower the level requirement, so your not stuck with that pistol for so long.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Yeah, it is a bit hard, but the learning curve isn't too bad. Doesn't take you long to realise that you can get out of your car to autoaim, a good ambush will work 90% of the time and to pick your battles. Or, something I learned on day one, don't do PvP modes because they're not very fun.

Tawpgun

Yeah, it is a bit hard, but the learning curve isn't too bad. Doesn't take you long to realise that you can get out of your car to autoaim, a good ambush will work 90% of the time and to pick your battles. Or, something I learned on day one, don't do PvP modes because they're not very fun.
Auto aim zzzzzzz why do you guys insist on playing an inferior version of the same game?

PvP is a lot of fun if you play free aim.

So....

Just got this game last night. Tried out GTA Online, don't think I get it.

A buddy (lvl 38) and I spent half the night loading (and waiting, waiting...) in lobbies just to get 2v2 deathmatches.

Any quick tips for how to actually have fun in the online mode? Seems like there's potential but I kind of hate Rockstar's job system. With only 18 people in an instance and a bazillion possible jobs, what are the odds of getting anything like a full job, you know? People are just dicking around doing whatever.

Keasar

I thought auto-aim would be disabled in multiplayer (hated it in GTAIV, killed the whole point of using vehicles), I was wrong. :(

Mistel

Banned
So....

Just got this game last night. Tried out GTA Online, don't think I get it.

A buddy (lvl 38) and I spent half the night loading (and waiting, waiting...) in lobbies just to get 2v2 deathmatches.

Any quick tips for how to actually have fun in the online mode? Seems like there's potential but I kind of hate Rockstar's job system. With only 18 people in an instance and a bazillion possible jobs, what are the odds of getting anything like a full job, you know? People are just dicking around doing whatever.

Getting a full group is pretty hard most of the people would much rather muck around in free roam. As death match isn't that fun and the player vs AI missions are spoiled, by god mode AI with ridiculous accuracy.

I don't mind doing some missions with you if your're on 360.

Striker

I thought auto-aim would be disabled in multiplayer (hated it in GTAIV, killed the whole point of using vehicles), I was wrong. :(
Free aim should be mandatory in free roam, but turned on for missions. Because in missions the AI can shoot a Pistol from good distance and headshot you, and that's where the BS line begins.

Either way, the moving/shooting mechanics need an overhaul in the next GTA installment. It's terrible at this point.

Getting a full group is pretty hard most of the people would much rather muck around in free roam. As death match isn't that fun and the player vs AI missions are spoiled, by god mode AI with ridiculous accuracy.

I don't mind doing some missions with you if your're on 360.

This might sound really dumb, but what do people do in free roam? Just screw around and kill each other?

This might sound really dumb, but what do people do in free roam? Just screw around and kill each other?

Mostly. Easiest way to have fun is go in with friends and make up your own dumb rules, explore, find enemy groups to befriend / murderfy, etc.

Due to my friends almost always being offline sans Daedalos and such, I generally just watch Achievement Hunter's GTAV let's plays for fun and then spend my personal time on it driving around and trolling.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

It is the worlds greatest trolling game. Just pick someone and let your imagination go wild as you fuck each other up. I like to collect bounties on players in fun ways (like crashing a plane into them, or trying to kill them by parachute or sniping them from miles off). Great fun to be had in grabbing a cargobob and causing mayhem - good for abducting players and taking them to cool places/dropping them from a great height, or maybe dropping cars on people if you're good. Sometimes when there's a 'wanted car' you can have epic fights and griefing opportunities when it comes to delivering it.

And now everyone has billions of dollars from the giltchers there are tanks everywhere, which is fun I guess...

If you're new I'd suggest doing as many missions as you can - they pay well and you'll rank up quickly to start getting the fun stuff. If you care about cars, get into the racing so you can get unlocks for upgrades and earn decent money if you're good. IMO you want to have a decent sports car which you can steal for free and upgrade it ASAP so you can race with it. I had a Sultan as my starter car and it lasted me ages and was really competitive.

I usually split my GTA time between free roam madness, missions and races, both of which I find can be joined in matchmaking with a fair degree of success. Survival is good if you have the time for it as well. Tbh I've gotten about 150 hours out of just that, there's a lot to do in the game.

Mistel

Banned
Yep me and E92 where mucking around with the tank and cargobob. Generally it's random stuff like jumping onto that cargo train, or being dropped on top of a dump truck from the top of the world. It really depends on the lobby as some people will go out of their way to cause havoc/kill you.

I generally just watch Achievement Hunter's GTAV let's plays for fun and then spend my personal time on it driving around and trolling.
I watch them as well but mainly because there hilarious, irregardless of what they are doing. I'd play with you all you need to do is ask :).

Is there any way to manage the cars you want in your garage, or at this point should I just buy another copy of the car I want and put it in there?

My cars aren't actually being deleted when I replace my garage-bound ones, right? They just end up in GTAO hyperspace?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is there any way to manage the cars you want in your garage, or at this point should I just buy another copy of the car I want and put it in there?

My cars aren't actually being deleted when I replace my garage-bound ones, right? They just end up in GTAO hyperspace?

afaik if you replace a car in your garage it's gone forever.

afaik if you replace a car in your garage it's gone forever.

I don't really care considering I only really want / need 5 or 6 cars in the first place, but that seems like a major oversight.

Can you use / purchase additional garages in addition to the one attached to your property?

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Well, I finally got to rank 70 and bought the tank. Of course, the first time I called up Pegasus to get it, it spawned right next to another player. Who, of course, took it.

But, my brothers and I spent last night doing races until they were both also rank 70, so now all three of us have access to tanks. We went on an epic cop-killing spree.

In other news, I tried selling my Infernus last night, and received the message that only cars worth less than $50,000 can be sold. However, I then tried to sell one of my many Adders, and didn't receive that message--I would have been able to sell it if I wanted to. I think this might have something to do with when the car was purchased. I purchased the Infernus back when the stimulus money was released, which was (if memory serves) before the patch that permitted selling super-valuable cars. Every other car I've sold over $50k was purchased the weekend before Christmas, which was after that patch. Anyone have any insight on this?

Well, I finally got to rank 70 and bought the tank. Of course, the first time I called up Pegasus to get it, it spawned right next to another player. Who, of course, took it.

But, my brothers and I spent last night doing races until they were both also rank 70, so now all three of us have access to tanks. We went on an epic cop-killing spree.

In other news, I tried selling my Infernus last night, and received the message that only cars worth less than $50,000 can be sold. However, I then tried to sell one of my many Adders, and didn't receive that message--I would have been able to sell it if I wanted to. I think this might have something to do with when the car was purchased. I purchased the Infernus back when the stimulus money was released, which was (if memory serves) before the patch that permitted selling super-valuable cars. Every other car I've sold over $50k was purchased the weekend before Christmas, which was after that patch. Anyone have any insight on this?

Based on my past experiences, it's very much time-dependent.

Top Bottom