• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT2| Life's A Beach

Ted

I've been playing around with the race aspect of the content creator today and it's pretty good. My only real complaint is the tiny limit to dynamic props and the relatively small limit of general props even when the model size stays really small.

I wanted to lay out some tracks using the concrete barriers at the airfield, essentially to layout a Top Gear test track type course but you quickly run out of ways to define the track.

Using the existing road layouts I did make a couple that I like:

Los Santos Scleife (CCW)
http://rsg.ms/1mmVOoB

Hot-hatch B-Road Blast:
http://rsg.ms/1mmWbzo

New one:

McKenzie Mule
http://rsg.ms/1mJKuDa

Just went onto the social club to see what people had created for the "Capture" mode. Seems like 90% of the capture modes that people created are all just for RP farming. "6K RP FAST," "Fast shootout unlimited RP!!" is every one.

I think this is as damning a verdict on GTA Online as there can be. Rockstar gives you tools to create missions and modes, and the only things people create and download are just ways to farm the arbitrary limits in the game.

there's always going to be people doing that. It doesn't matter what game it is. Anything with pvp is going to have people farming til they reach their comfort zone.

The roll out of the content creator has been handled really smart. I remember that pre-launch interview where Houser said it was going to be a step by step process leading up to mission creator. They didn't want to just dump all the tools out from the box at once.

Stat!

there's always going to be people doing that. It doesn't matter what game it is. Anything with pvp is going to have people farming til they reach their comfort zone.

The roll out of the content creator has been handled really smart. I remember that pre-launch interview where Houser said it was going to be a step by step process leading up to mission creator. They didn't want to just dump all the tools out from the box at once.

The thing is - it reveals an underlying problem.

Ive played a decent amount of GTAV online. Im level 21. Yet I still can't use a sniper or a rocket launcher. I can't afford (multiple or even one) super cars nor can I really do anything fun since if I blow something up, I have to spend 10 minutes replacing it or I am labeled a poor sport.

Thats the problem in GTA online. There are so many things that make it not fun and a chore to play.

if you need better weapons run a Survival game. Heavy Sniper rifle spawns at around wave 6-7, in the meantime u can gain ammo and RP from kills. (free aim nets more RP, plus headshot practice with free aim) The weapons u gain carry over to the free roam session, but you'll lose them if you change sessions or get killed while using them. I don't know if R* messed with that, they did cap the ammo u can pick up in survival tho. I use to see people farming ammo in survival all the time, especially sticky bombs.

If anyone in a super car is bullying u just put a bounty on them. $1k vs $9k? if you claim the bounty you don't pay the insurance bill.

Wolfe

It can definitely feel like an issue if you aren't playing regularly or doing lots of missions/races/etc, I guess I feel fortunate that GTAO fit well with me in that whenever I beat a GTA game I always end up spending countless hours just dicking around in the game doing whatever. I feel like I get to do that same thing but now online with other people in the game world, before I knew it I'm now rank 151. Shit like rooftop rumble or criminal records farming bores me to hell so while I may do a particular mission once in a while I'll follow it up by just doing random ones that show up in the post match voting screen.

I do appreciate that they're adding DLC weapons that don't have a level requirement, it's good to let lower rank people at least be competent to a degree (the available selection is sparse of course, you mentioned snipers which there hasn't been a DLC version of yet) when it comes to weaponry. I still remember being low rank before any of the DLC came out and having to run around with my SMG and now they've got a tommy gun and special carbine or whatever.

So I just started trying to play GTA: Online with a couple friends after a 5 month hiatus. But I have an issue. My game has a hard freeze within 10 minutes of joining a session, without fail. Sometimes seconds after joining a game. I've tried installing the discs on every combination of HDD, jump drive, etc., and cleared caches a million times... I don't know what to do. The game is literally unplayable. Ugh.

Wolfe

So I just started trying to play GTA: Online with a couple friends after a 5 month hiatus. But I have an issue. My game has a hard freeze within 10 minutes of joining a session, without fail. Sometimes seconds after joining a game. I've tried installing the discs on every combination of HDD, jump drive, etc., and cleared caches a million times... I don't know what to do. The game is literally unplayable. Ugh.

Since two patches ago the game has freezing issues for some reason while playing online with other people. I was getting it pretty bad a while ago but now I only get it occasionally (although today already I've encountered it twice). Some people report never freezing and then on the other end of the spectrum get it consistently like you have been. So far they haven't really said anything about it in the way of admitting it's a problem with the game and instead are telling people to do crap like you said "clear cache etc", I agree if fucking sucks and I hope they get it figured out before the next update.

Since two patches ago the game has freezing issues for some reason while playing online with other people. I was getting it pretty bad a while ago but now I only get it occasionally (although today already I've encountered it twice). Some people report never freezing and then on the other end of the spectrum get it consistently like you have been. So far they haven't really said anything about it in the way of admitting it's a problem with the game and instead are telling people to do crap like you said "clear cache etc", I agree if fucking sucks and I hope they get it figured out before the next update.
Yea, for PS3 I've been getting much more freezes lately.
I'm on PS3, but last I heard for XB you install the install disc, but NOT the play disc. Doing so will cause problems. But again, I don't play it on XB :D I have freezing problems as well, you are not alone, though mine aren't as frequent as yours.
The thing is - it reveals an underlying problem.

Ive played a decent amount of GTAV online. Im level 21. Yet I still can't use a sniper or a rocket launcher. I can't afford (multiple or even one) super cars nor can I really do anything fun since if I blow something up, I have to spend 10 minutes replacing it or I am labeled a poor sport.

Thats the problem in GTA online. There are so many things that make it not fun and a chore to play.
I just posted this in another thread, but will copy and paste it here too - Robbing stores, selling cars, doing the vehicle deliveries for Simeon, armored trucks and crate drops are great ways to earn money & RP outside of missions. I've always felt GTA:O was not a game that you could jump in and have awesome stuff from the get go. Even when it first launched, I could tell it was game that was meant to last a while. You want that awesome stuff? You gotta work your ass off, but the rewards are sweet in the long run.

It's not a game for those wanting instant gratification. I imagine R* has a very long life cycle for this game. Meaning if you put in the time, you WILL be rewarded. In one hour I can very easily make 150k OUTSIDE of missions. That is more than enough to buy a sports car. No, it's not a super car, but again, that is "End Game" like stuff. You are not supposed to be able to buy super cars quickly. You aren't given the best stuff immediately in other games, are you? Once you get your sports car, then you start the mods, little by little. Before you know it, you will be competetive.
What's the active GAF PS3 Crew? I'm in The Third Crew, but I doubt anyone is still playing. I've been messing around again since the capture stuff began.

Here's the three team capture I created: http://rsg.ms/RQSEiW
I've yet to even play a non R* capture, let alone make one -_- But if you want in the PS3 crew, it still has active players, send me a PM with your details. Likely send me a message on the Social Club, as well if you can please.

Ok, I get it now with Martin and his missions...

Rooftop Rumble:
Martin wants us to steal a secret pizza recipe from the FIB.

Mixed Up With Coke:
Martin wants us to destroy all the pizza supplies shipping of his enemies.

The Los Santos Connection:
Matin wants us to steal some special seasoning imported at the airport.

Judging the Jury:
Martin is now sued by the government, because he stole that famous secret pizza recipe and the government want their slice back, so Martin wants us to kill all the jurors.

It's all about the god damn pizza!

And the heist will be the next big thing:

One more time, Martin is going to need us to rob the IAA headquarter and to steal a new secret pizza recipe developed to take down the now weakened FIB.

Mastah

actual_1399016471.jpg

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...itter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=doublerp

Tawpgun

:( I wish I could play so bad. Been missing GTAO... Goddamn disc drive. I don't really
Want to buy the digital version of a game I already bought just so I can play...

*sigh*

MisterHero

oh wow I almost missed the event D:

By the way, has anyone found a legit Speedo van? Despite it becoming storable, I'm 99% convinced any videos and stories regarding it are hoaxes.

I've found Yougas, Rumpos, and maybe a Burrito but not a Speedo and it's killing me.

MisterHero

You need to be Level 75 or know someone who is Lv75 to access it.

If you can't find anyone to team with there is Coveted at Lv36. Pays $18000 on Hard and is as brief as Rooftop, but decent sniping and Cargobob skills are recommended.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm level 120. Where is it? >__>

Edit: So I need to call Martin for it but I can't request a job from him?

Yes, it could randomly come up as an option to vote if the host is a high enough level. You can also call Martin and then delete until he offers it.

Flandy

Yeah I finally got it to show up. Played it with my friend for a while. Ended up making like 600k but then stopped because it was late and I was tired. Going to farm some more in a bit. He needs to farm RP and I need to farm Cash so it works out :p

JZA

Screw heists.

TWO APARTMENTS!!

Personally, I think it would be hilarious if instead they implemented a livable RV into this game in addition to your apartment. You could place it strategically around the map and save wherever.

I was hoping others wanted to discuss this GTAO review:

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/grand-theft-auto-online-updated-review/1900-6415752/

I do agree with the reviewer's contention that it is frustrating to play online in random sessions where it seems like players only want to attack each other, and it seems to be an incredibly toxic environment overall with nobody willing to cooperate or join jobs that you invite them to. However, I know there's an "invite-only" option, so other jerk players shouldn't be an issue if you really just wanted to play co-op with friends. How does GAF feel about GTAO?

Wolfe

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/grand-theft-auto-online-updated-review/1900-6415752/

I do agree with the reviewer's contention that it is frustrating to play online in random sessions where it seems like players only want to attack each other, and it seems to be an incredibly toxic environment overall with nobody willing to cooperate or join jobs that you invite them to. However, I know there's an "invite-only" option, so other jerk players shouldn't be an issue if you really just wanted to play co-op with friends. How does GAF feel about GTAO?

Saying that free roam is a toxic environment with nobody willing to cooperate or join jobs that you invite them to is an overstatement. Granted a majority of the time you will run into people that only want to partake in free roam deathmatches but I've seen people playing cooperatively on a fairly regular basis.

I don't deny that it gets tiring though running into people that are only interested in ruining other peoples enjoyment of the game through whatever means they can (camping/taunting over the mic/destroying PVs etc etc). And as you said private lobbies are a thing but personally I enjoy being in a lobby populated by people I don't know as well, helps the world feel more alive I guess.

i wonder if R* will add stats like hacking and safe cracking for the heists update. I remember doing a mission once where the hacking was glitched or someshit, it was going so fast i couldn't choose the right combination of numbers in time. I'd see them, but they would be gone before i had a chance to select the thread in time.

Wolfe

i wonder if R* will add stats like hacking and safe cracking for the heists update. I remember doing a mission once where the hacking was glitched or someshit, it was going so fast i couldn't choose the right combination of numbers in time. I'd see them, but they would be gone before i had a chance to select the thread in time.

Yeah I'm not sure what's up with the hacking mini games but I noticed in some missions they go at a decent pace (docks to stocks) while in others they go so slow (hack and grab) that it can hurt you. In the case of hack and grab (I think that's the name at least, the one where you steal the FIB cars from that garage for Lester) the mini games move so slow that the cops are shooting me by the time I finish them. Not sure why all of them aren't the same speed regardless of mission, I could see if it was difficulty dependent but I always play missions on hard so I have no idea.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Personally, I think it would be hilarious if instead they implemented a livable RV into this game in addition to your apartment. You could place it strategically around the map and save wherever.

The Invite Only option assumes you have a friend list who are all active GTA players and all available at any given time, and I think that would be rare, especially for adults who might not necessarily have an active roster of RL gamer buddies.

IMO, the beauty of GTAO is it's basically a massive trolling sim. And due to the law of internet averages you can bet that in a room of 16, about 13 of them will be educationally subnormal, half of those will be between the ages of 10 and 13, 1/3 will be stoned and blasting music, a couple will be doing stunts somewhere and a couple will be deadly dangerous GTA psychos. The joy comes in identifying targets and making their lives difficult. Judicious use of Lester's bag of tricks (remove from radar > all), explosives and sniper rifles mean that you can confound, torment and dominate a server for quite some time.

Sure, it's not the GTA game that R* designed or would like us to play, but for the main GTA players are bloody idiots and deserve a good trolling.

Top Bottom