• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really starting to enjoy the game now.I have a big smile on my face just exploring. Did I mention the world is absolutely massive?

The map opens up as you explore new areas.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Sure there's some slow down but for what they've done this thing's still a bit of a marvel.

Love the transitioning into/out of mission cut-scenes, seamless.
Tried a bit of tennis, that was surprisingly good too.

Time to hit the hay, get some bacon & eggs in the morning and carry on.

Been playing on PS3 here for a while. Slow pacing is really jarring after Saints Row 4, but it's pretty good so far, despite shitty looking jaggies on the cars.

Also, I hope to be seeing more of Chop throughout the game.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Going to stay awake to start the download, and then go to sleep. Hope it's done by the time I get up for work. If not.. man.. so much heat while downloading. Not good for the console.

Soupstorm

Neo Member
What does the blue bar in the HUD do? the green one is the health bar and the yellow one is the special ability bar.

armor whenever you buy it or get it

Damn, I thought they were health bars for all 3, double size for the character you're playing as. Would have been cool to look at your map, realise Trevor's in a shootout or a car chase on the other end of San Andreas, and switch right to him. Green for Franklin, blue for Michael, orange/yellow for Trevor.

I got too hype to pay attention to the HUD in all the prerelease media I guess.

matthieuC

It's odd. It's like some GAF members are playing a completely different version of GTA V to me. I'm a third of the way through the game on the PS3 and it's been perfectly fine all the way through. There's a bit of aliasing but on the whole it looks brilliant and the controls are responsive.

It's a shame you guys aren't enjoying the game.
I think performance is really dependent on one's console. Not 360 vs PS3, but the different iterations of each console. Also, one guy's console might be a little newer than another's so it might run better. Little factors that affect the game's performance are really skewing everyone's impression imo.

impressions before release said it was 30 a lot of the time with dips to 25, and now its suddenly changed to 25 with dips to 20? Lol. The odds of every single person before release being wrong is kinda nutty.

Fjordson

Tom Chick's review isn't up yet, but he's posted some thoughts on it. Brace yourselves boys and girls, he absolutely....loves it?

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/09/16/grand-theft-auto-v-review/#more-25697

So this isn’t a review. But at this point I know enough to tell you — enthusiastically and without reservation — this is a game that deserves its inevitable commercial success, the adoring reviews that have probably just now been posted, and however many hours you can spare it.

All you saps waiting for PC/PS4.... smh

I will happily double dip when the time comes. But for now, I can put aside my arrogance from the Master Race and enjoy the FUCK out of this game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Witness the arrival of the latest in lowered standards: "25fps most of the time" is now 'fine and perfectly playable.' Christ.

Hey, in five years, will 20 or 15fps be perfectly playable as well? Do we have a floor on these standards or is it open season?

I can't believe people lashing out at those who have higher standards than this. WE are not the problem.

The game is obviously too ambitious for current gen. What do you expect from 2005 hardware?

Ya no

Called closest game stop to me a minute ago and they assured me I'd be able to come pickup a copy even though I didn't preorder... hearing about the massive lines everywhere though has me concerned. Guess I'll find out soon when I head over.

Madness

Yup. I bought PSN version but I doubt it's as terrible as people make it sound.

I don't know, reports still coming in as the game launches, but a longtime fan has said he noticed more pop-in, textures and frame dips than the disc version. Make of that what you will.

CF22

Anybody know if with PS+ cloud saving I can save GTA V in one PS3 and load in another? Same Account, I'd like to play in my bedroom or the living room.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing on PS3 here for a while. Slow pacing is really jarring after Saints Row 4, but it's pretty good so far, despite shitty looking jaggies on the cars.

Also, I hope to be seeing more of Chop throughout the game.

How far into it are you? I found that it kicks off properly once all three characters are introduced (which was further in than I expected). My 7.9/10 went straight to 10/10 after that and it hasn't wavered since.

Chop is a classic. He's made me laugh out loud on two occasions now.

I will happily double dip when the time comes. But for now, I can put aside my arrogance from the Master Race and enjoy the FUCK out of this game.

/brofist

I'll be double dipping as well. It looks great on my PS3 and it'll be god-tier on the PC with mods. Enjoy!

I think performance is really dependent on one's console. Not 360 vs PS3, but the different iterations of each console. Also, one guy's console might be a little newer than another's so it might run better. Little factors that affect the game's performance are really skewing everyone's impression imo.

Yeah that could be the case. It's always a shame when you're enjoying something and no one else is.

ViciousDS

Banned

already beat ya.....i accidentally already doubled because of forgetting to cancel my PSN pre-order in time and my amazon order shipped hahahaha.

Anybody know if with PS+ cloud saving I can save GTA V in one PS3 and load in another? Same Account, I'd like to play in my bedroom or the living room.

Cloud saving applies to all game saves even those that can't be transferred to an external flash drive or device.

Dingotech

So is it like a bit over an hour before we can start downloading the US PSN version?

Also do you download it from your 'download list', because my purchase isn't currently listed there.

Shadows have received a face lift.

Camera blur has improved the shadow a bit, but greatly improved over IV.

hy9avupy.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
The game is obviously too ambitious for current gen. What do you expect from 2005 hardware?

I expect a relatively stable 30fps. That's not really too much to ask. If a game is causing a system to explode, then either tone down the vision for the game to get it to not run like ass or make sure you release a PC version day and date so those who can't stomach such a framerate don't have to suffer :p

In any event, it is what it is. I was waiting for the impressions before biting down on the console versions or waiting, so that's why I commented. It's just a little surprising anyone feels such a comment isn't warranted. If a game is consistently below 30, it's worthy of criticism. I don't care what your pedigree is, really.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Witness the arrival of the latest in lowered standards: "25fps most of the time" is now 'fine and perfectly playable.' Christ.

Hey, in five years, will 20 or 15fps be perfectly playable as well? Do we have a floor on these standards or is it open season?

I can't believe people lashing out at those who have higher standards than this. WE are not the problem.

Based on my 8 or so hours of time on the 360 version, I really don't think it's as bad as you fear. I'm a pretty big framerate whore. I do all my gaming on a pretty decent gtx 670 based pc and I always adjust my settings to maintain 60fps. I have bought one console game in the last 2 years before this (Forza Horizon) because I can't stand playing at 30fps or lower. I admit there was an initial feeling of ugh when I started the first mission, but after getting through it and getting to the point where I could actually free roam and do what I wanted, I was really blown away by how damn good it looked on this archaic hardware. Framerate didn't really even bother me once I adjusted to it. I'm by no means saying it's going to be acceptable to you, but I am seriously impressed with how good this game runs on this hardware while looking like it does.

If you have the patience to wait for the pc version, then by all means go for it. I'll be buying it as soon as it's out on pc, but this is a great game and it runs very well considering the hardware it's on. It absolutely feels like a solid 30 when roaming on foot. Maybe a bit less when driving in heavy traffic. I've seen a few drops on some scripted missions, but man it really isn't that bad. It's quite good and vastly superior to the mess that gta4 console version was.

How far into it are you? I found that it kicks off properly once all three characters are introduced (which was further in than I expected). My 7.9/10 went straight to 10/10 after that and it hasn't wavered since.

Chop is a classic. He's made me laugh out loud on two occasions now.

Haven't gotten to all 3 characters being introduced yet. After that first Chop mission I'd just spent a bunch of time exploring and messing around really.

Fixed1979

So is it like a bit over an hour before we can start downloading the US PSN version?

Also do you download it from your 'download list', because my purchase isn't currently listed there.

It should say what time you can download after clicking the Download button on the games page...for some reason Canada is getting screwed with a 12PST time.

gosox333

Aww yeah, my copy has been shipped. It's only a matter of time now.

Hopefully UPS has their stuff together and I get it at a decent time tomorrow. I wanna be able to install my 8 gigs before my only class tomorrow and come back and play all day by 3.

Dingotech

It should say what time you can download after clicking the Download button on the games page...for some reason Canada is getting screwed with a 12PST time.

Crap mine says that as well.

So another 4 hours then, plus download time. Guess I'm not playing it today. (1pm here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom