• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Pffft, I dressed Franklin and right after the first time I control Michael he shows up in a different outfit. That's BS Franklin. Wear the shit I want you to wear please :(

One mildly disappointing thing that's not actually to do with the game is for the first time since GTA III at least there's no tourist guide acting as the manual. Instead the manual is just a thin pamphlet detailing the controls and warranty info. At least there's still a map.

RIP awesome Rockstar manuals.

Also my Atomic Blimp PS3 code doesn't work.

You can download the manual online.

nib95

Banned
OMG I that shit cracked me up. You know that GIF of Michael jumping in to the sea (doing a dive)? If you don't jump at the right time he does some weird twisty belly flop and fails miserably. Had me in stitches.

Dukey

Banned
Pffft, I dressed Franklin and right after the first time I control Michael he shows up in a different outfit. That's BS Franklin. Wear the shit I want you to wear please :(

At least he keeps the Ice Cube haircut and facial hair that I gave him.

Timu

6870726e_MediaCaptureGame1X2013-09-1714-18-10-200.png

Looks sweet at night.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The missions in this game pretty much blow any other open world game out of the water, even if they're not all shootbang.

Just did the
Apple HQ mission lol

Labrys

Okay, I've never ever played a GTA before. Like, ever. I'm really interested in this one, though, because it looks really good. I just had a few questions though, if you guys don't mind.

Do you need to play/know anything about the previous games in order to understand what's going on in this one?

Which version runs better for the most part, 360 or PS3? I have Gamefly so I could get the 360 version, but a Redbox by my house has the PS3 version in stock.

What can I expect from the overall game? It's been getting 10/10s and 5/5s all over the place, so it's apparently very good, but I'd like to hear some other opinions.

Thanks, guys.

K don't try sneaking into the military base lol I did an amazing stealth job somehow avoided stars past the gate then ran into a tank that blew me apart. I want to steal a jet but guess I'll wait till I can parachute in.

And anyone see the billboard with a dude that looks like jack thompson? lol actually he doesn't look that much like him he looks more like Joe Biden.

Re5Iw1C.jpg

kendrid

Banned
BOOOOOOOOOOOSH

Amazon release day delivery came through for me. Just arrived in my hands moments ago.

Even better, the tracking page on the Amazon website still shows tomorrow as the estimated delivery date.

All of my recent Amazon orders show the items showing up +1 days from when it should. If you take the tracking number and go to UPS' website it will show the accurate delivery date. I am not sure what Amazon is doing.

jet1911

Wanted level at 3 stars. In a police chase. I use Franklin ability to make a sharp turn in some alley, I park my car in an empty garage and turn off the lights. 3 police cars pass right in front of the garage, not one saw me. My brain went booooooooom! Dat game.

Gorillaz

Okay, I've never ever played a GTA before. Like, ever. I'm really interested in this one, though, because it looks really good. I just had a few questions though, if you guys don't mind.

Do you need to play/know anything about the previous games in order to understand what's going on in this one?

No
Which version runs better for the most part, 360 or PS3? I have Gamefly so I could get the 360 version, but a Redbox by my house has the PS3 version in stock.

Its a wash ps3 in gameplay but 360 in cinematics iirc

What can I expect from the overall game? It's been getting 10/10s and 5/5s all over the place, so it's apparently very good, but I'd like to hear some other opinions.

its an adult playground. Best way to sum it up tbh
Thanks, guys.

NP

Linius

Wanted level at 3 stars. In a police chase. I use Franklin ability to make a sharp turn in some alley, I park my car in an empty garage and turn off the lights. 3 police cars pass right in front of the garage, not one saw me. My brain went booooooooom! Dat game.

Good to know. I just drive away like some crazy fool normally :lol

antitrop

The Next Episode from Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg could not be more perfect on this soundtrack.

That shit just came on at the absolute perfect time, I'm having such a fucking blast with this game.

I promised myself I'd be a stone cold bad ass in this game (eg. never taking the 'good' option in random events), well last night I witnessed a woman having her handbag snatched in one of the posh areas. I picked up the handbag after taking out the perp and there was only $12 in it. I decided, what the hell, it's only $12, I'll return it to see what happens. The victim gave me a reward of $2,000! So I shot her and took the $12 too. $2,012 baby!

Tobor

Got my fully charged A-50s on, got my Sam Adams Octoberfest ready, and I'm installing like a motherfucker!

Lets do this!

char0n

Mine just got here in the mail thanks to Amazon! I only got to play 30 minutes because I have out-plans for the night but I've got mostly positive/semi mixed impressions.

• Playing on PS3, holy crap these graphics are mindblowing, especially for a console game! Honestly better looking and better performing than vanilla GTA4 on PC! Really stable 30 fps and clearly full 720p. Reflections on buildings have some pop-in but that's the only thing I've noticed so far.
  • Shooting feels too easy... I actually like GTA4 where it was still easy (just LT aim to auto-center-of-mass then ~3/4ths the left stick up, instant headshot with RT) but this is like I don't even have to fine tune aim. I basically was 1-2 shotting guys at a rate of ~2/sec by pretty much pressing LT then tapping RT over and over at a rapid pace.
  • Driving in the opening sequence felt fine... When I got to Franklin though... it was weird, turning was like I was pivoting on ice then taking off in that direction after I stopped turning. I can see how this is easier/more arcadey but it just doesn't feel right/momentum based at all, I hope this is something that doesn't persist/happen for everyone when their driving skill goes up or I'm REALLY going to miss the "boat" physics.

This is so great.

One of the first things I did was drive out of the city towards Blaine County (as Franklin). I saw a gas station off the freeway and decided to pull in to see if there was anything interesting there. There were at least 3 choppers parked outside, and I could see a small group gathered under the veranda outside, arguing. As it turned out, it was a group of three male bikers and a blonde girl, who they were arguing over. As soon as I got over there, the blonde turns around and says, "Excuse me, did you just look at me?". I had read on GAF that pressing the right directional button responds to NPCs, so I tried it out here for the first time. "Lame-ass bitch", snarls Franklin. Before I could react, all four of them (including the girl) whipped out pistols, and killed me on the spot.

What a game.

As Franklin I was driving around then overheard two people saying they forgot about a getaway van so I picked em up and drove them to the spot and then once we got there they shot me instantly.

Cudder

1. Where are the clothing stores? They're not marked on my map, do I need to progress the story a bit first?

2. Where are the tattoo parlours?

3. Is switching characters supposed to change characters' outfits? I got my Franklin and Michael set up the way I like but the game just changes their clothes automatically.

Linius

I promised myself I'd be a stone cold bad ass in this game (eg. never taking the 'good' option in random events), well last night I witnessed a woman having her handbag snatched in one of the posh areas. I picked up the handbag after taking out the perp and there was only $12 in it. I decided, what the hell, it's only $12, I'll return it to see what happens. The victim gave me a reward of $2,000! So I shot her and took the $12 too. $2,012 baby!

I like your style :lol

eso76

It's a shame there is next to no point in exploring los Santos on foot because that's by far the most interesting, varied, believable, immersive game environment since yokosuka and yoiu'll completely miss the atmosphere driving through it.

They need to think of ways to reward players taking their time to explore the surroundings, and ways to make driving feel less detached from the scenery.

Heimbeck

Banned
So my copy hasn't arrived yet but I have a question for those who have played it

Is the shooting as good as MP3? I haven't heard much about the shooting TBH.

It keeps hitting me that I haven't even scratched the surface of this game, and yet we still have Gta Online coming out in two weeks. Sorry Puppeteer, Killzone: Mercs, Watch Dogs, PS4, etc. I have extremely limited free time now, and these other games just make me want to boot up Gta V when I try to play them. Only thing that would catch my attention is another Saints Row in the vein of the second game.

ekim

1. Where are the clothing stores? They're not marked on my map, do I need to progress the story a bit first?

3. Is switching characters supposed to change characters' outfits? I got my Franklin and Michael set up the way I like but the game just changes their clothes automatically.

1 and 2: play further. They will unlock later.
3: they have a simulated life if you don't control them. Maybe they don't like your taste. ;)

Labrys

This is amazing. I'm quite jealous. Hope GTAV is your first, as it feels like a good jumping-in point.

I didn't know this was possible. Are you from this planet?
As far as I know, yes, yes I am from this planet. I was just restricted from any game like GTA or Saints Row while growing up, thought I may as well give this one a shot.

And, it's looking like V's gonna be my first experience with the series, so I'm pretty excited now.

Thanks! I think I may just go for the PS3 version for now, and if it runs too shit on my Phat I'll just wait for the 360 copy.

ViviOggi

Yes

Same as above

Sadly it is, it likes to remove the slick suits I bought and dress Michael in worn-out shirts and shitty shorts.

Played about 3 hours and on the first lester mission.

The introduction and first hour was perhaps one of the greatest tutorials abd openings to a game I have ever witnessed. Really blew me away. Just perfectly paced, and incredibly well structured and planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom