• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil smoke

Banned
My brother was watching a Twitch.tv stream earlier and a few people in the chat were saying how they hate Franklin's missions because they can't relate to all of the "ebonics".

This really is San Andreas 2!

I think Franklin is a bit over the top. I'm cringing my way thru it.

Madness

I'm not black so I can't really speak for this, but I like Franklin and Lamar and how they are portrayed. The voice acting is superb and it really captures the essence of where they live and the relationship between them.

Anyone who says they can't relate is being dumb. How many of us could relate to John Marston in the old west? Or as Tommy Vercetti in Miami etc.

Edit: I can see where people would say it's stereotypical, but I also feel it's authentic in a sense. I'd hate the future of games were everyone sounds, walks, looks, talks the same.

Ploid 3.0

PSN download at 56%...really need to stop reading this thread. How does the game handle character switching by the way? Is it one of those zoom out to satellite view, pan, zoom into next character loading tricks?

Yes it's that and it loads at the max zoom out. Driver SF is instant from what I remember.

Franklin is the best character in the game yall.

Don't dispute.

I like him the most too. His ability is very useful for doing stuff that don't involve killing.

What an incredible world. Staggering in breadth. Earlier I parked a boat at the end of the runway and bobbed up and down in the waves as planes took off above me. Now parked at the Vinewood sign watching the city at night. Amazing that if you see it you can go to it. And likely have something to do when you get there too.

Oh, anyone figured out how to bunny hop on a bike? If they took that out then booooo!

IMACOMPUTA

What an incredible world. Staggering in breadth. Earlier I parked a boat at the end of the runway and bobbed up and down in the waves as planes took off above me. Now parked at the Vinewood sign watching the city at night. Amazing that if you see it you can go to it. And likely have something to do when you get there too.

Oh, anyone figured out how to bunny hop on a bike? If they took that out then booooo!
R1/Rb
Depending on the bike that will make you crouch forward/bunny hop/do nothing

I cannot comprehend how my favorite hobby has progressed in such a short time to a point where something like this game is possible

11 hours clocked in today so far. I had to take a break now to like eat some bread and excrete the past 20 hours of waste buildup, but now I'm getting ready to head back in.

Does anybody know what the blue bar is beneath the minimap? Green is health, yellow is special ability, and blue is... ? Once I realized it wasn't the stamina bar (I don't even think there is one), I realized I don't even have a lead as to what the bar represents.

Ploid 3.0

My brother was watching a Twitch.tv stream earlier and a few people in the chat were saying how they hate Franklin's missions because they can't relate to all of the "ebonics".

Hah I remember that gaf thread. So bad.

First heist spoiler...

I went will all the cheapest guys.... I've made a grave mistake lol.

Hah I just picked one
gunner because he wasn't needed, and he still screwed up while non gunners survived on the thing he messed up on. :\

Derrick01

Banned
So I was on my way to see how this movie theater thing works in a video game when I drove by a tour bus with some lady with a megaphone shouting about it. To my surprise the game let me get on and I'm sitting here actually taking a guided tour of Vinewood (with a first person view option!).

This is the kind of attention to detail I was talking about in that one thread.

That candy bar billboard with the person hanging off of it is great. If you've seen it you know what I'm talking about. I was really confused for a second.

ultrazilla

So has anyone tried running into their garage door while it's opening and run full
speed at it when it's about half way up? I lost it!!! Soooo good!!!

t26

Man the story so far is so much better than GTA IV. Are the story of Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony good enough for me to go back?

Norns

Man the story so far is so much better than GTA IV. Are the story of Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony good enough for me to go back?

I love Lost and Damned, but it would be really hard to go back now that I've played V.

Ploid 3.0

That candy bar billboard with the person hanging off of it is great. If you've seen it you know what I'm talking about. I was really confused for a second.

Yeah, same. I saw it on a stream first, and wondered why the guy didn't check it out. Then I saw it in my playthrough and found out.

I tried playing through them the week before GTAV but I couldn't do it. I used youtube. There's a cutscene only video that's like 1hour long.

Madness

Holy shit, it's amazing just using the tow truck at an intersection, grabbing someone's car as they try to escape and then dropping it somewhere else and taking another. Doesn't even give you a wanted level. Just got a lambo this way and stored it.

Zukuu

Banned
Btw, the beer brand "Pißwasser" means "piss water" in german.

Also, the cursor flips you the bird instead of using the index finger, when accessing the internet x)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not black so I can't really speak for this, but I like Franklin and Lamar and how they are portrayed. The voice acting is superb and it really captures the essence of where they live and the relationship between them.

Anyone who says they can't relate is being dumb. How many of us could relate to John Marston in the old west? Or as Tommy Vercetti in Miami etc.

Edit: I can see where people would say it's stereotypical, but I also feel it's authentic in a sense. I'd hate the future of games were everyone sounds, walks, looks, talks the same.

Exactly. The idea of someone dropping the controller in disgust when they play as a character even a little bit outside of their ideals is ridiculous.

Who would want 100% "authentic" characters in GTA (let alone many other games) anyway? Even if you can't relate or they're a little stereotypical, you have to admit the banter between Frank and Lamar is gold.

That part in the dealership when
Franklin gets employee of the month... Lamar's face/reaction cracked me up. He just looked so hard done-by!
It's sometimes like watching a really good comedy show without the terrible canned laughter/audience.

Gorillaz

2004: "Can't relate to thug culture"
2013: "Can't relate to all the ebonics"

we have come full circle

So I was on my way to see how this movie theater thing works in a video game when I drove by a tour bus with some lady with a megaphone shouting about it. To my surprise the game let me get on and I'm sitting here actually taking a guided tour of Vinewood (with a first person view option!).

This is the kind of attention to detail I was talking about in that one thread.

That’s so awesome. I’m gonna go and check out the movie theatre right now!

MercuryLS

Banned

Franklin missions are the best, the back and forthers between him and Lamar are so good.

Is there no way to turn off camera auto-center? It was pretty much essential for me in RDR and would make shooting while driving feel much less terrible

Reule

About Chop and controls..

How do you actually play with him? I've seen controls to make him sit or to pet him but I've got nothing. All I can do is play fetch with the ball. That's not all tied to the iOS app, right? I also have no idea how to raise happiness.

Ploid 3.0

I'm black and live in the south. They are characters and they can be written however the writer wants. I like the characters. I also like the characters in the movie Friday, and Boys In The Hood.

Also about people not being able to relate, that sucks for them. I love stories about things that I can't really relate to, like the life of a prisoner, the life of a rich guy that is bored with being rich, the life of a geisha, and the life of batman!

Edit: This GTAV pause music sounds like Tron.

Zeliard

About Chop and controls..

How do you actually play with him? I've seen controls to make him sit or to pet him but I've got nothing. All I can do is play fetch with the ball. That's not all tied to the iOS app, right? I also have no idea how to raise happiness.

I haven't used the app to train Chop yet but you can sic him on people by pulling the aim button (L2 by default or L1 with Alternate controls) in their direction.

Reule

I haven't used the app to train Chop yet but you can sic him on people by pulling the aim button (L2 by default or L1 with Alternate controls) in their direction.
Yeah, I've done that too. I've tried everything to get him to do something else but nothing. Hmm.

ElfArmy177

Game is fun, but Im not gonna lie.. it looks like utter dog shit. When you start putting in nice lighting and increased polygons you gotta sacrifice some things.. in this case they completely cut out AA. I feel like Im gonna cut myself on the jaggies of this game.

If they announce the next gen version in less than a month Im gonna throw a bitch fit.. and then buy it like a god damn lemming. God damn it Rockstar, so close to next gen... so close. Why didn't they wait 2 months?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom