• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
My custom car order finally came through from the iFruit app, and the gold collar I earned and Chop being able to sit came through as well. Hopefully iFruit has finally started working. Just picked up my customized car. It's pretty cool.

RDreamer

Played the shit out of this yesterday, and was loving it. Now I have two 16+ hour days of work ahead and I won't be able to play much until Friday... and even then the new iphone is launching, so I'll be doing that.... /firstworldproblems

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm playing with free aim, but DAYUM that reticle is tiny!

Makes it really hard to aim!

Any solutions? Except "buy a new TV". (It's a 42")

You can choose "complex" in the options!

Lima

MAN!

So simple, yet I haven't thought of it. Thanks!

I assume it looks the same as in GTA IV then?

It is pretty much the same deal as in Max Payne 3. Every weapon category gets a different reticle. It is definitely bigger though. Can't remember GTA 4.

My copy just came through the letter box. This time last week my cynical self was convinced I would just wait a few weeks after the game came out to hear some reasonable impressions free of the inevitable gushing hype, and also to get it at a cheaper price.

So much for that plan. Please be better than IV, please be better than IV, please be a lot better than IV.

Sushigod7

I'm playing with free aim, but DAYUM that reticle is tiny!

Makes it really hard to aim!

Any solutions? Except "buy a new TV". (It's a 42")

Same here turned off the other stuff for free aim the reticle is annoyingly small. I put about 4 hrs in the game last night and it's GTA but with a few upgrades. I'd have to say the Franklin parts are painful to listen to the dialoge is worse than a Jon Singleton movie from the 90's seriously stereo types way over the top. I'm hoping all of his friends die so I don't have to listen to them anymore. Hopefully things improve drastically.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Nice detail: When you have a Wanted level and drive a car, your character always looks nervous over his shoulder.

Longshot

So apparently if you wait for someone to use an ATM you can rob them later, can someone confirm this? I'm trying to work out new ways to make some quick money, seems to be much harder to make in this game than the previous titles.

Fjordson

Oh man, I think when you spin your tires a bunch at a light next to someone in a fast car they try to race you. Could just be me scaring the pedestrian, but it's only happened to peds in sports cars. Also saw a guy standing at the corner where I was doing it once whip out his phone and start filming me :lol

These little details are just crazy.

So apparently if you wait for someone to use an ATM you can rob them later, can someone confirm this? I'm trying to work out new ways to make some quick money, seems to be much harder to make in this game than the previous titles.
Yes. You wait until they're walking away for a little bit and stick them up.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Wow! Someone confirm O_O

edit: Btw, I give $100 to a hooker... then I drive over her and get $70... WHRYYYYYYY :(

Pachimari

Something went wrong here haha - I thought I would have room for both but one of them were gone the next time I came by, maybe Michael went for a drive.

xsXEqww.jpg

By the way, I thought the police would follow me into the water in a chase? Not only that they would send boats. Don't the officers jump into the water and swim and everything?

elektrixx

Banned
I don't like Trevor. It's like his story and dialogue are written by other people for another game. He's some sort of fake cartoon character.

What I hate is how he easily establishes dominance over [intro/early]
Johnny Klebitz. Somehow I'm supposed to believe this obviously mentally handicapped man can get the better of the much more intelligent character from Lost & Damned.

I think I've only played as this fool for 45 minutes or so, but this might be enough to make me hate this game. I can't fathom how the other two characters would want anything to do with this idiot.

Trevor's friends are even worse. Are there really people who talk like this in America? I thought it was just a stereotype. How can your government allow people to remain uneducated and undiagnosed of a mental illness?

Denzar

It is pretty much the same deal as in Max Payne 3. Every weapon category gets a different reticle. It is definitely bigger though. Can't remember GTA 4.

Weird thing is, I never used Complex aiming in MP3 but the reticle was way more visible in that game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Why would anyone use free aim with a controller.

Because it gives you much more control. I want to shoot the guy who is shooting at me from the back or even the explosive barrel next to him, not the mug running across for cover. I hate auto-aim.

Also? It requires skill :p I got my golds on the firing range legitimately.

Yoshichan

Something went wrong here haha:

xsXEqww.jpg

By the way, I thought the police would follow me into the water in a chase? Not only that they would send boats. Don't the officers jump into the water and swim and everything?

Bwahahahahahah

Its really minor, but I hope they patch in an option to either let your characters keep the clothes you put them in, or choose from a chosen varity of outfits

Do all Bincos sell the same clothes?

I was just driving around this morning. Did a tour around the island and drove up a mountain with a fake Porsche. That was pretty fun. But i find its way to hard to actualy destroy a car. Its like you drive around in a tank.

NeoGaffer

Neo Member
A bit of background information on myself concerning the GTA games - I have played/completed the original GTA upon its initial release, as with GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas. I purchased GTA IV on day of release, but didn't get into it (strangely), and sold it very soon after without having played much of the game.
Fast forward to the present time, and GTA V sounded like the perfect opportunity to reignite the spark I once had for the long-running series. I have to say, I even got wound up in some of the hype myself. Because of my diminished desire after GTA IV, I knew I'd have to at least play GTA V to really tell whether it would make a comeback for me.

I have played maybe 5 hours with the game, so I'm not sure if all my opinions will still be accurate until I've at least played more and/or completed the game. This game is obviously doing so many great things, that I simply cannot mention all of them. I will mention a few of them, however: the graphics are very nice, sharp, crisp and very colourful, and has very detailed textures and all kinds of unnecessary attention to detail. The sheer size and scope and long draw distance and you have a game that excels in this department. I think the time of day and weather influence how great the game can look, as it's not always consistent, when there's times of day that are foggy and dark, making it look as though you're playing familiar GTA games of the past. I have yet to see rain in the game, but I have heard good things. One noticeable improvement over GTA IV is the lighting, as I found GTA IV to be very dark (disturbingly so).

I'm having a gripe over the car engine sounds and the SFX in general - they appear to be very low-sounding, even when cranking up the SFX volume under settings. This is also in compliance with the car handling, where I feel like the cars do not feel meaty enough. Sure the controls have a weighty feel to them, but this is the overall impression I get out of the game. The game feels smooth and solid, and for that, a bit too effortless for a feel- of-control. I could go into more detail on the handling and physics of the cars, but then I would start to sound contradicting; it's a bit complicated to judge and explain in a coherent manner, which I am not willing to personally debate at this moment in time. Another issue I have with the game is the unsettling use of violent language being repeated over and over, to the point where it becomes repetitively annoying.

As much as the game is a great and ambitious one, that succeeds in many aspects, I cannot help but judge the game critically from a technical standpoint, as I do with most games; I'm simply stating my opinion and following my feelings. There is an awful lot to say about this game, but as it stands, I have mixed feelings about the game, despite it having lots of elements to enjoy. To add to this, I think all the game's hype and expectations aren't doing myself any favours in regards to my own enjoyment from the game.

Installing my PS3 copy... unhh unhhh

Come to think of it, I never went back to GTA4 after completing it the month of its release, and my last sandbox game was RDR.

Hype. Unh unhhh

Because it gives you much more control. I want to shoot the guy who is shooting at me from the back or even the explosive barrel next to him, not the mug running across for cover. I hate auto-aim.

Also? It requires skill :p I got my golds on the firing range legitimately.

I can do what without free aim and does it matter if you got gold legitimately if its never a challenge in the first place?

Artex

Banned
I hope this has been addressed already, but to those claiming there is input lag don't belong on this forum. Your wheels are turning, it's the perspective that's throwing you off. Drive in first Person view and tell me again about this input lag.

Septimius

It's a pain in the ass... I can't focus at all and GAF ain't helping! Shouldn't be more than 3 hours till I can start playing again! What about you man, how you holding up?

Much the same. I've done 2 of the 4 tasks I have set forth for me today. Almost 3. Hopefully I'll be able to leave in in an hour and a half.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME.

EDIT: iFRUIT APP WORKS!!!

daakusedo

Weird to begin with a shooting section when the mechanics are not really good and limiting your moves for the story sake, and a disc error during the car chase, off to a good start!

Sonix90

Neo Member
There's literally one thing that bugs me in GTA V and it's related to driving. I totally dig the driving model, even though I loved how cars handled in IV, this is completely different but very enjoyable. But there's something wrong with how some of the cars (most of them actually) behave when their wheels meet the sidewalk or anything where there's a sudden elevation change. Whenever I ride up on a sidewalk the car sort of immediately jumps up, as if there was nothing in between (I don't know if I'm describing it well), it looks very stiff and unnatural. Funny thing is, when you go down i.e. from a sidewalk onto the road, the suspension works as it should, car bounces a little, it looks proper.

I noticed that if you try to climb slowly, sometimes you can see the wheel sort of merging with the sidewalk (or whatever) until the car finally climbs up which looks really sudden, so it may have something to do with collision detection. It's a tiny worry, but I've noticed it immediately and it still bugs me a little. Other than that, the driving is great.

Yoshichan

Much the same. I've done 2 of the 4 tasks I have set forth for me today. Almost 3. Hopefully I'll be able to leave in in an hour and a half.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME.

How far into the game are you? How much are you enjoying it?!
Why is my character randomly jumping from vehicles when I press L3+R3 ?
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

SRTtoZ

Played a couple hours yesterday and then stopped to get some of my WoW shit done, so I just ate breakfast, grabbed a drink and its time to go balls deep into GTA5.

Yoshichan

When I try to activate the special ability when I'm in a vehicle sometimes my character just jumps out of the car.
This is weird as hell... and you're positive you're not accidentally triangle/Y? :lol (Sorry, just making sure!)

Why is my character randomly jumping from vehicles when I press L3+R3 ?

I was having this problem early on. I thought it was my controller so I switched it up, and the problem hasn't occurred again. I've seen a few people mention it in here though so it must just be a bug. You can try switching controllers or perhaps a game/console restart.

Fjordson

I've seen a few complaints about all the swearing, it kinda surprises me. Haven't people seen any worthwhile crime movies? Pretty sure there are like 3-4 fucks a minute in Reservoir Dogs.

Not saying cussing makes something inherently "cooler" or whatever, but this is really the only time I've seen people complain about this in entertainment. Well, maybe this and Deadwood :lol

Daffy Duck

I was just driving around this morning. Did a tour around the island and drove up a mountain with a fake Porsche. That was pretty fun. But i find its way to hard to actualy destroy a car. Its like you drive around in a tank.

Mine seem to blow up so easily, I drove over the freeway edge and into the storm drains and my car went boom.

:(

Septimius

How far into the game are you? How much are you enjoying it?!

TOO MUCH! I.. I haven't done that jewelry mission people talk about. I guess that's next for me. So I'm about there. I've been cruising around a lot, though.

I can play around with the iFruit app, though. I guess I won't get any more work done!

Sushigod7

I don't like Trevor. It's like his story and dialogue are written by other people for another game. He's some sort of fake cartoon character.

What I hate is how he easily establishes dominance over [intro/early]
Johnny Klebitz. Somehow I'm supposed to believe this obviously mentally handicapped man can get the better of the much more intelligent character from Lost & Damned.

I think I've only played as this fool for 45 minutes or so, but this might be enough to make me hate this game. I can't fathom how the other two characters would want anything to do with this idiot.

Trevor's friends are even worse. Are there really people who talk like this in America? I thought it was just a stereotype. How can your government allow people to remain uneducated and undiagnosed of a mental illness?

Great so two of the 3 are awful? I already have trouble listening to the thug conversations but get to look forward to Trevor now. I kind of wish Michael was the main character his story is somewhat interesting at least Franklin so far has zero interest.

SRTtoZ

I've seen a few complaints about all the swearing, it kinda surprises. Haven't people seen any worthwhile crime movies? Pretty sure there are like 3-4 fucks a minute in Resevoir Dogs.

Not saying cussing makes something inherently "cooler" or whatever, but this is really the only time I've seen people complain about this in entertainment. Well, maybe this and Deadwood :lol

Deadwood and the Wire are pretty bad (or good depending on how much you like cursing :D )

Also, if you've watched Mafia/Gangster documentaries the wire taps are full of fuck fuck shit shit, mfer etc.

Yoshichan

TOO MUCH! I.. I haven't done that jewelry mission people talk about. I guess that's next for me. So I'm about there. I've been cruising around a lot, though.

I can play around with the iFruit app, though. I guess I won't get any more work done!
Dude, that's awesome! We've got so much shit to look forward to, it's crazyyyyyy.

I played for a few hours last night. I gotta say, the opening did not amaze me. Thankfully, the story picked up when Trevor was introduced.

Also, I don't know if I'm used to the aiming, but I liked aiming/shooting in GTA IV more. I'm gonna see if there's some settings for target assist or something.

The driving is really fun, especially the muscle cars. Trevor's ability is very cool and useful. I just wish it was mapped to one button, though.

I think the coolest thing I've seen are the cops tactics. I got a 3 star rating for invading restricted air space with my hilarious blimp. I tried outrunning the cops for 20 minutes or so. They will bump and push you off the road. It's very aggressive and it ramps up the fun factory by a lot.

Dizzle24

I am amazed at how clean the game looks, compared to GTAIV. I mean, its pretty much night and day. GTA V is so clear and crisp by comparison, I almost feel like I am not playing a GTA game.

Also, I just started playing as Michael, and while I am not far into the game yet, I am already feeling overwhelmed about the size of the map and all the locations I can visit.

I want to venture out and go to random places, but I don't know where to start.

I'll give it another go tonight after work.

Sonix90

Neo Member
If you hit that curb at speed you would go flying into the air.

The thing is it doesn't, most of the time it stays flat on the ground, like there's too much grip. I guess I didn't describe it well, what I meant is that when you hit a curb the car sort of immediately changes elevation while still being glued to the ground, normally you would expect it to jump a little, bounce up, some feedback. There are some vehicles that behave properly, for example riding a pickup truck felt right.

Well I might be going in the hospital today for a week or two and I've fallen in love with this game since I got it at midnight launch. I know I need to get better and it will be here when I get back, but still it's just that great.

Anyway sure there are some aliasing issues, but the graphics are seriously amazing for a world this huge and realized. The lighting shaders are a huge part of that. Earlier today I found myself on the coastal highway as it transitioned to night time and I was blown away. It might seem like a little thing, but the lighting in the tunnels with other cars was something out of this world. I'm enjoying this far, far more than GTA IV already. I can't wait for Online to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom