• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven77

Is it just my controller or is there a very large "dead zone" on the analog sticks? I feel like I have to move the stick a good quarter inch before anything actually happens.

Is it because its a wireless controller or something?

Omni

Helicopter mechanics are awful. What the hell happened. Can't remember them being this bad in IV...

wobbling all over the damn place

ehm, it's a parachute

Parachute?

Ah, okay. I guess I have to progress further to use it. Thinking about it, if these can be used in multiplayer, I hope we can shoot holes in them when anyone uses it and watch them fall full speed to the ground.

There are a bunch of collectibles in this game, huge amount some sound crazy eg
space ship parts! submarine parts.
they seem to go toward a common completion goal, and some are worth a ton of money

Welp... there goes a ton of more hours to put in this game!

Am I crazy or is the framerate lower in the desert? I just started the Trevor missions, and I find the controls aren't nearly as fluid anymore. Is Trevor just clunkier in general? (playing on 360)

The only disappointment I've had so far is that they changed the manual. It doesn't look like a tourist guide anymore. I thought I could count on you Rockstar. Otherwise I'm at least 10 hours in and I've yet to be let down, and I disliked GTA4 a whole lot.

todahawk

Thanks, I've been grinding the intro story missions so far... Tonight i'm gonna let loose in the open world, and robbing stores is at the top of the list.
*EDIT: Can you buy masks somewhere? Or do i just rob places with my face exposed?

Not sure if you can buy masks (edit: seems you can via Kris.) but I just walk in and pull my gun... no mask. i've been having the shotty ready when i walk in the door lately, trying to improve my odds of getting them to cough up the cash, which seems to give more.
hilarious that I now park my car right outside the door, angled towards my getaway route. love franklin's car bullet time, has helped me a ton with evading cops and crashes.

Actually, now that i think about it, i walked into a store last night and i must have robbed it before because he screamed "NOT YOU AGAIN" and ran away.
After I robbed the place and was making my getaway via the onramp (going the wrong way) I saw him still running along the fucking expressway guardrail.

this fucking game.

Arcteryx

Anyone know if the BAWSAK(or whatever the name of the second stock exchange) is tied to the Social servers or is it just "down for maintenance" until I get further in the story.

Also, I noticed a number of different sites in-game had non-functioning videos/pages that said "down for maintenance" :(

Dave_6

I went to one of the Ammu-Nation stores last night to try and up Franklin's skills. I couldn't figure out where to go to the shooting range though; guess I was overlooking something?

Alienous

A few other things

I love Franklin's special ability! It feels so awesome to be going 90-100 then weaving in between a slew of cars and coming out unscathed. Awesome addition !

The way that Rockstar makes this game world feel alive is just incredible. Case in point; I had just finished a freaks and strangers mission for this one woman. Franklin tells her after the mission that he is busy with some stuff and needs to get going. She gets on her cell and starts talking and I decide I want to stick around and listen to the conversation. When she wraps up the call, she notices I am still there and says "Didn't you say you had someplace to be ?" Wow! It's little things like this that just make this overall package shine.

It's that 5 year iteration.

Watching my own playthrough, and my brother's playthrough, simultaneously is a blessing. Characters will sometime respond to your apperance, if you did listen to them, if you didn't. Unique responses depending on many variables.

It's really rich with detail.

btkadams

this is a great game. so much to do. one thing has been bugging me though.

does anyone else feel like rockstar focuses a little bit too much of its energy on all the little things in these games that they ignore the core game issues? the controls are a definite improvement from previous games, but i still find myself occasionally fighting with them, much more than other similar 3rd person games. i also find that the character's interaction with the environment is kind of hit & miss. i'll try to jump/climb and while most of the time it will work, other times the character will vault into whatever i was trying to climb and become a ragdoll for 5 seconds.

i'm loving the variety in the missions and the more forgiving checkpoints. it's great how they consistently improve on the mission system with every title.

NIN90

Is it possible to install the game to an external HDD, similar to installing it to a USB drive? Will I have to format it in the process?

Denzar

Why can't I enter clothing stores?

I decided to get some new threads, checked the map, went to a shop, only to be confronted with a closed door...

todahawk

There's a place on the boardwak somewhere in southwestern LS, if I remember correctly. You can buy them
when setting up for heists
but I dunno if they're available during free play. I assume they would be though.

FUCKING AWSOME, see my last post about how one the clerks reacted to me later..

Arcteryx

Why can't I enter clothing stores?

I decided to get some new threads, checked the map, went to a shop, only to be confronted with a closed door...

Have to progress the story. Once you do, like 3 different brands open up right away though.

I too am having a much harder time shooting while driving than i remember having with past GTA's. Is there a way to am your gun out the window without also pulling the trigger.

Whenever I aim out of the car window the gun is also simultaneously shooting... would rather aim... then pull the trigger when i want to. Am i doing something wrong?

Nope. I think the tooltip text is wrong, as it says "hold L1 to aim", but L1 just starts shooting for me.

Just had a random encounter mission with 2 guys robbing a pharmacy and they ask me to be their get away. I do it and once I drop them off they cap the shit out of me....

:(

Weird lol. I did that one as Franklin and got like $2000.

Am I the only one who cant drive and shoot, for shit? God do I suck at that
I too am having a much harder time shooting while driving than i remember having with past GTA's. Is there a way to aim your gun out the window without also pulling the trigger.

Whenever I aim out of the car window the gun is also simultaneously shooting... would rather aim... then pull the trigger when i want to. Am i doing something wrong?

Just had a random encounter mission with 2 guys robbing a pharmacy and they ask me to be their get away. I do it and once I drop them off they cap the shit out of me....

:(

Can't wait to get home and play some more! My all day session yesterday was not nearly enough.

I love diving off/into stuff (jump then attack with B button)

I went to one of the Ammu-Nation stores last night to try and up Franklin's skills. I couldn't figure out where to go to the shooting range though; guess I was overlooking something?

Not all ammu-nations have shooting ranges.. perhaps you were at just a store (not also a range). They are differentiated on the map (the icons are slightly different).

bud

this is a great game. so much to do. one thing has been bugging me though.

does anyone else feel like rockstar focuses a little bit too much of its energy on all the little things in these games that they ignore the core game issues? the controls are a definite improvement from previous games, but i still find myself occasionally fighting with them, much more than other similar 3rd person games. i also find that the character's interaction with the environment is kind of hit & miss. i'll try to jump/climb and while most of the time it will work, other times the character will vault into whatever i was trying to climb and become a ragdoll for 5 seconds.

i'm loving the variety in the missions and the more forgiving checkpoints. it's great how they consistently improve on the mission system with every title.

i feel like i have to press too many buttons to do what i want to do.

x to run? x to select the map to view it? left and the stick to change the radio channel? stuff like that.

Two random thoughts:

• It's uncomfortable holding down the R2 button on the PS3 to drive.
  • There should be a "quick map" button. Too many button presses and waiting to get to the map.

Unicorn

Anyone know what this bag is? I just found it along with a note while driving a dirt bike up a huge mountain. It's in my inventory and I can't select it.

3CNH9iy.jpg
Parachute

NIN90

I too am having a much harder time shooting while driving than i remember having with past GTA's. Is there a way to am your gun out the window without also pulling the trigger.

It's completely baffling when they just could have used LB for aiming and RB (which is handbrake for some reason when the A button already does that) for shooting.

Liberty4all

Banned
So I pop in the game last night for the first time and I'm doing Franklin's first mission. How crazy could it get?

Here's a hint. Trying to evade cops using train track tunnels is a BAD idea. Hilarious start to my GTA adventure.

depths20XX

Two random thoughts:

• There should be a "quick map" button. Too many button presses and waiting to get to the map.

Yeah, the R2 button kinda sucks for driving. I keep wanting to press X to go and square to break. Shooting out of the car window seems like a real pain in the ass also. I don't remember it being that bad in the previous GTA's.

Case in point; I had just finished a freaks and strangers mission for this one woman. Franklin tells her after the mission that he is busy with some stuff and needs to get going. She gets on her cell and starts talking and I decide I want to stick around and listen to the conversation. When she wraps up the call, she notices I am still there and says "Didn't you say you had someplace to be ?" Wow! It's little things like this that just make this overall package shine.
I know exactly the mission that you are referring to.

This got me to be mind blown as well.

God, I need to get my ass home from work + the gym later to play this game...

U2NUMB

Headphones are a good idea, not sure how I didn't think of that :\

Also, has anyone used this thing?

Use an XBOX 360 controller on your PS3

They aren't available on Amazon currently but they are available on Ebay. Anyone use one? The PS3 controller is just terrible imo and I would love to use my wired 360 pad instead.

Yes I have used it for years and I love it. It works great... only a couple times did the game not like it. But the ability to adjust the triggers and just overall it performs great.

Edit: You can use it to do some six axis things that do not need to be fast paced. Like in killzone the turning doors thing but anything that needs to be done quickly the six axis feature is just not good. How it works is you flip a switch and then it uses I think the RB LB buttons to go left or right.

Are these required to get 100%?

at work so dont have at hand, but I know a lot of activities have to be done at least 1 of that type to get 100%

there are a ridiculous amount of collectibles and missions.

in addition you can buy properties and typically there will be missions custom for each property. some real nice varied properties too, they arent all regular buildings

What's the number on each character when you're toggling to select between them?

missions available to that person

according to the guide, the mission will give different intro based on the character if more than 1 can do it (eg if its person x's family then you want to be that character when starting that mission)

btkadams

i feel like i have to press too many buttons to do what i want to do.

x to run? x to select the map to view it? left and the stick to change the radio channel? stuff like that.
completely agree. it all seems a little bit over-complicated.
Two random thoughts:

maybe you can move around the accelerator in the driving control options. i know that you can at least flip the r1/r2 buttons in the walking control options.

The game is more realistic than I thought.

Playing as Michael, got a text from his wife that she needed money and 75% of my money was taken out.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I played for about 3 or so hours last night. I completed a few story missions, and tooled around the city for a bit.

I think the thing about this game that blows me away the most is how accurately it apes Los Angeles. While I was playing last night, my wife was like, "Didn't we drive past that area? Isn't that where we live?" I felt the same way. The atmosphere just screams Los Angeles.

So far, I'm really enjoying the story. I've been spending most of my time as Franklin (what can I say, it feels good to be able to play as a black guy again), but I like all the characters I've met so far. Lamar is a moron, but I find him hilarious. The music, gunplay, driving, all feels incredibly polished and clean. The game isn't flawless, but it is definitely a evolution of GTA. I still love San Andreas with a passion, but I'm thinking this one may, in the end, beat it out.

I haven't even explored the countryside and wilderness yet. My 3+ hours were confined to a rather small part of the city (looking at the map, I've barely uncovered a fraction of the city areas).

f0nz0

I'm so bummed right now.... I went and bought the game yesterday for my ps3 (og phat) and played it for about an hour...

Today I turn it on and the game loads up but stays on the loading screen for about 10 minutes..

I reset the system, turn it back on, now my ps3 won't read the disk..

I tried setting the ps3 back to factory settings, cleaning the disk, cleaning the vents, still won't read the disk..

Ahhhhhhhh, man this sucks.. The system is def out of warranty, I have no money to get it fixed... I just spent 60$ on the game...

And I barely have any miles on this system!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom