• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

eek5

Not sure if the helicopter camera is terrible or if the controls are terrible but flying it is not fun, at all. =(

Any idea how you steal the dude's golf club? I've been trying to move in with stealth, but I get spotted from every angle. Plus, I don't even know what I'm looking for. I can't possibly be going for the club he's using, right?
I don't think you just sneak up on him - completing the mission with a gold rating involves
headshotting him and killing everyone, I believe. He's holding the club, and seems to spend his time practice swinging or something.

To get the club,
after you kill him, he'll either drop the club (if you kill him while he's swinging) or it'll be in the cart (if you surprise the guards and he jumps in the golf cart trying to escape). There'll be a little green icon wherever it drops.

I just beat that infamous mission that gained a lot of ire from gamers. That's it? That was so tame and wasn't disturbing in the least. It wasn't serious, everyone was wise cracking jokes, and the whole "You never asked", came off as funny. I was expecting it to be more...disturbing.

Tonight was my favorite night so far with the game.

I dug into the radio more. Really like Mirror Park and Vinewood Boulevard but dipped my toe into Worldwide FM.
I'm still not crazy about it, especially the excellent shit in IV, but it's growing on me.

I sunk a couple of hours in and then realized I had only done 2 missions.
Mostly I went around killing people who pissed me off, running from cops, and (gameplay spoiler)
robbing liquor stores
along the coast.

There's still parts of the map I haven't seen or filled in.

This game is quite awesome.

Zukuu

Banned
Any idea how you steal the dude's golf club? I've been trying to move in with stealth, but I get spotted from every angle. Plus, I don't even know what I'm looking for. I can't possibly be going for the club he's using, right?
Yes you are. Try to scare him / kill (the guards) with a sniper and then just run him over and collect the club.

Midway story question.

Why do we steal all the cars? And why did we only steal 4(?). Is Franklin's friend now alone and does the job? Played plenty further (~70%) and it never got picked up again.

wizzbang

Banned
I just beat that infamous mission that gained a lot of ire from gamers. That's it? That was so tame and wasn't disturbing in the least. It wasn't serious, everyone was wise cracking jokes, and the whole "You never asked", came off as funny. I was expecting it to be more...disturbing.

That's because you were expecting it or you're a sociopath.
I stayed out of most of the threads and news, I had no idea it was coming and it turned my stomach sour.

Derrick01

Banned
So far Ive put in 19 hours. I checked out my mission progress...and holy shit.. this game is fucking huge.

Completed
missions and there are still
left! What the fuck! Not to mention the rest of the stuff, holy moly.

If you want to see how much is actually in the game don't look at the 100% checklist, look at the social club site. There's waaaay more in the game than you're required to do to get 100%.

wizzbang

Banned
Hey how many motorbike races were there for people? I did 4 car ones then a 5'th motorbike one for Hao - and then they've disapeared :( - I'd love for them to be doable again.

Did I "break" something? I had a mission with Barry also go weird. (Never turned up at the court, said he'll be there soon, never showed)

I would just really like a mission where there's a giant facility you have to infiltrate, no weapons, no alarms raised. I really liked playing out some missions in game like this - from going up on some game targets with a headshot from a silenced pistol, or that last mission where you have to
kidnap that guy - I pretty much took all the guards down by knocking them out from behind

Zukuu

Banned
Hey how many motorbike races were there for people? I did 4 car ones then a 5'th motorbike one for Hao - and then they've disapeared :( - I'd love for them to be doable again.

Did I "break" something? I had a mission with Barry also go weird. (Never turned up at the court, said he'll be there soon, never showed)
Only available between 20:00-6:00

Wish flying was more like San Andreas. Maybe it gets better when you improve the stat.

Anyways, I'm ready to start comparing the GTAs... In terms of atmosphere, I still think San Andreas is king. 90s + thematic regions (Desert, Country, Woodland, Urban) + Music. It's all so good.

GTA IV's theme is so good. I was actually disappointed in GTA V's. It's nowhere close.

So I just came across a
"No Country for Old Men" event. I was way up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere, when I hear a permanently "stuck" car horn. Go to investigate and see several trucks in a clearing, dead guys, a dead dog, etc. all lying around in a circle. A drug deal gone wrong. Two of the guys are almost dead and they tell me not to touch "that case". I stab them both to put them out of their misery, then I track another guy who is stumbling along ahead of me and falls down underneath a tree. He's got a silver case with $25,000 in it. I kill him, take the case, and leave. Not long after I'm chased by two guys with guns on dirtbikes. They were easy to take out. Easiest $25,000 I've ever made.
If you've seen the movie, you'll know the reference.

So, so awesome.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It sucks people seem to be having such issues with the plane and helicopter flying, I think my years of Ace Combat and other like games have prepared me plenty for the controls, lol, I don't have any issues flying or driving anything in the game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It sucks people seem to be having such issues with the plane and helicopter flying, I think my years of Ace Combat and other like games have prepared me plenty for the controls, lol, I don't have any issues flying or driving anything in the game.

I've had little issue with the flight controls, passed flight school with little difficulty. Heli trials were definitely the hardest but only took a few tries each, everything else took one try save for landing on the bridge thanks to traffic screwing me up.

I absolutely love cruising around in a copter. just soaking it all in.

terrible

Banned
Lots of traffic but less parked cars than ever.

I wonder what Rockstar expects players to do after these missions or transitions where they put you out on the sidewalk with no wheels nearby.

Stand in the middle of the road waiting for someone to drive by so you can steal their car?

I had to do that after almost every mission it felt like.

I wish they just stole BF3's controls for jets and choppers, at least as an alternate control scheme. I'd settle for Saints Row 3's controls as well though they were pretty dumbed down.

todahawk

Yeah, same here.
Did my first flight mission with Trevor and had no issues at all. Flight school has been easy peasy so far. Can't wait to steal a military fighter.

I've had little issue with the flight controls, passed flight school with little difficulty. Heli trials were definitely the hardest but only took a few tries each, everything else took one try save for landing on the bridge thanks to traffic screwing me up.

I absolutely love cruising around in a copter. just soaking it all in.

Flying Helicopter in GTA fucking sucks. I wish they flew like choppers in ArmA :(

Fjordson

Once Trevor enters the picture and you open up activities out in the country the game opens up beautifully.

And I love using a plane basically as a car with Trevor :lol I'm flying almost everywhere.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

No problems here either. I love flying in this game. In fact it's one of the first GTA games where I've really liked everything from a core gameplay perspective - shooting (free aim), driving, jet skis/boats, diving, parachuting and flying (boats and planes) - all great fun for me. It's why I'm actually very interested in GTA Online.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Flying Helicopter in GTA fucking sucks. I wish they flew like choppers in ArmA :(

I'm an expert at both so it doesn't matter to me. The only thing I don't like about the copters here is the landing on a dime is a bitch, it's easier in ArmA but overall the arcadey nature allows for more leisurely rides where in ArmA you have to be a bit more careful cause you can flip over, descend too fast and all sort of other ways that can quickly wreck your shit.

eek5

I don't have issues with it but I don't like how the camera bobs once I let off the LS. It seems like the helicopter goes from tilting forward to tilting back instead of returning to a level rotor blades. Makes no sense to me and feels really finicky.

Not sure if the helicopter camera is terrible or if the controls are terrible but flying it is not fun, at all. =(

I don't know what it is but I've never had this much trouble flying a helicopter in a GTA game before. Made getting through flight school unbearable.

GQman2121

Banned
These undercover cops are on the look out.

0_0.jpg

reeaaallly game?

giving trevor some people that need a ride all the way at the bottom of fucking los santos?

Would take me a hour to drive to the occult place >.>

Moaradin

Is there any way to get rid of that stupid flash every time you kill something? It's starting to bother me.

Trevor is like the greatest character in video games by the way.

SlickVic

Not sure if I'm missing it somehow, but did they do away with the GPS navigation voice in cars? Don't think it was quite as effective as the in-game GPS arrows in other games, but I liked the variety in voices you'd hear depending which car you were in.

YuShtink

Just did a cruise around the entire island's coast on a waverunner. So fun. And I didn't know that swimmers are actually treading around in the water at vespuccio beach, I ramped off a wave at top speed and landed right on some woman's face LOL. God I love this game.

Pity there's no way to play custom music in this. Don't get me wrong the soundtrack is fantastic, especially the original score (love me some Tangerine Dream) but I wouldn't mind playing even more Tangerine Dream in the shape of the Thief soundtrack or something :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hZWvsB-8ZA

It's Tangerine Dream? I did not know that. It's been pretty great so far. I really like the music that plays during "The Long Stretch" (spoilers for anyone who hasn't played that mission, although it's fairly early on.)

Oozer3993

I got out of my car near the Vinewoods Tours bus to listen to an aging actress give a spiel. When she finished, I turned around to get back into my car, but a guy ran in front of me, hopped in and drove off before I could. I was shocked. In a GTA game, I was a victim of grand theft auto.

The helicopter controls are just... not good. They're way too "loose," for lack of a better term. It's hard to do anything precisely or quickly. The helicopter just bobs all over the place no matter what you do and no matter your flight skill rating.

I've already put way too much time into this game. Around 26 hours. And I'm only 50% of the way through. The map is HUGE.

XgVZgN4.jpg

That's just a fraction of it. I've heard the map is 49 square miles, and according to the physical map included with the game that seems to be a relatively accurate measurement. That size makes the GTA V playable area larger than 5 actual countries: San Marino, Tuvalu, Nauru, Monaco, and Vatican City.

P.S. Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Thread Title Down For Maintenance>

GQman2121

Banned
Speaking of stealth how do you do the execute again?

I really wish there were stick-up/human shield options here.

L3 to go into stealth mode and then R1 or O when behind someone to knock them out.

Also, directly from the strategy guide:

INCREASING STEALTH STAT said:
Using Stealth mode and performing Stealth takedowns increases the Stealth stat, which allows for quicker movement while in Stealth mode and quieter movement in or out of Stealth mode. This skill increases by 1% for every 45 meters (49 yards) walked in Stealth mode, and 1.5% for every 2 stealth kills. Increasing your Stealth ability reduces the noise radius while in Stealth mode and also when moving normally.

I think this may be mentioned randomly on the left-hand side of the screen while the game loads. I didn't know about it at all and will be taking people out with stealth moves more often now.

Fjordson

Just did a cruise around the entire island's coast on a waverunner. So fun. And I didn't know that swimmers are actually treading around in the water at vespuccio beach, I ramped off a wave at top speed and landed right on some woman's face LOL. God I love this game.
Yeah, those are actually pretty fun to cruise around on. You can hit some decent waves in spots. And it's great that they have a radio. I was listening to WCTR for like 45 minutes the other day just riding around on a jetski.

Ardenyal

I hate how the game throws enemy WAVES at you. way too many targets...

Yeah I hated that aswell later in the game. Had to switch from free aim to the auto aim bullshit. Free aim is easy if you can keep a bit of distance but if you spend a couple seconds too long in close quarters it's an instant trip to the hospital.

Dead

well not really...yet
I saw that truck zoom by as I was getting in a cab and was like fuck I want that! Speaking of cabs, I use em to go everywhere, way too convenient especially if you skip the trip.
I did that in GTA4 because of how boring the city was.

I drive everywhere in GTA5 myself. City is just that amazing.

amnesiac

It kinda sucks how there are almost no cops when you're just driving around, but then once you're wanted, there's a dozen of them in your area.

Top Bottom