• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Be gentle with the helicopters, guys. You have to use the full range of the throttle and stick, they're extremely sensitive. Most of the time you want to be at about halfway on each, and anything more is for the seriously fast swooping manoeuvres. I spent hundreds of hours flying in the old GTAs, and the first Flight School chopper mission in V was a real shock. It took me about an hour to really get a handle on it, but now I can make those suckers go exactly where I want them. Once you master the controls you'll find that helicopters are faster and more manoeuvrable than they've ever been in GTA. Same with the planes.

The only thing I don't really like about GTA V's flight controls is the random buffeting from turbulence. It's nice that they tried to go more realistic, but it makes me wary about flying three feet above the ocean because I never know when my plane's going to dip without my input.

botty

Banned
For the people who beat the game... do you agree that this game is
Franklin's
story? More so than the other two's?

30 or so hours in and this game still manages to be consistently amazing. I'm gonna go ahead and say that while not perfect, this is a high water mark in gaming history. 98 Metascore totally deserved this time.

Trevor side mission question:
To kill Al Di Napoli or not to kill him? Does the payout differ?
If you're talking about the
one from the Nigel missions, the gold requirement requires killing him. Although if you don't, the Weazel News segment on the radio afterwards is different. You pass the mission regardless of which you choose (I let him go).

It kinda sucks how there are almost no cops when you're just driving around, but then once you're wanted, there's a dozen of them in your area.

I'm not as positive on the whole Wanted + police system as I was in the beginning. Line of sight detection still works for the most part, but the system as a whole is quite annoying sometimes. For example, 1 and 2 star wanted levels take FAR too long to go away, especially since 1 star can quickly be escalated to 2 for seemingly no reason other than the police grew to hate you more within the span of a second. With 2 stars there are at least 3 squad cars on you and oftentimes they'll wander right into your hiding spot cornering you and prolonging the chase that started initially because you stole a car and someone decided to call the police. When it works it's great, but when the game starts piling it on for "minor" offenses that you'll be doing every few minutes, it gets tedious.

And there's still the issue of getting stars when firing your weapon in desolate areas. Like these people out in the sticks care if I'm shooting at birds, or my own vehicles, or animals trying to bite my ankles. Gimme a break.

For all the hate Sleeping Dogs gets for it's driving model (getting lumped in with Saints Row is disrespectful) the ram maneuver that quickly got you out of low level chases was really, really useful. Even if GTA was to adopt it using a more physics based realistic take on the mechanic, it would really speed things along at low wanted levels.

Restrain This

Neo Member
For the people who beat the game... do you agree that this game is
Franklin's
story? More so than the other two's?

How would you figure that?
The game pretty much centers on Michael and Trevor's relationship. Franklin just sort of seems like the guy who gets stuck in the middle of that.

GenericUser

Can someone please tell me how I can see which of the available missions is the next main mission? I do rún into a lot of side missions where people want me to collect stuff and other things, hitting a main missions seems pure luck.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm not as positive on the whole Wanted + police system as I was in the beginning. Line of sight detection still works for the most part, but the system as a whole is quite annoying sometimes. For example, 1 and 2 star wanted levels take FAR too long to go away, especially since 1 star can quickly be escalated to 2 for seemingly no reason other than the police grew to hate you more within the span of a second. With 2 stars there are at least 3 squad cars on you and oftentimes they'll wander right into your hiding spot cornering you and prolonging the chase that started initially because you stole a car and someone decided to call the police. When it works it's great, but when the game starts piling it on for "minor" offenses that you'll be doing every few minutes, it gets tedious.

And there's still the issue of getting stars when firing your weapon in desolate areas. Like these rednecks care if I'm shooting at birds, or my own vehicles, or animals trying to bite my ankles. Gimme a break.

For all the hate Sleeping Dogs gets for it's driving model (getting lumped in with Saints Row is disrespectful) the ram maneuver that quickly got you out of low level chases was really, really useful. Even if GTA was to adopt it using a more physics based realistic take on the mechanic, it would really speed things along at low wanted levels.

They are easy enough to avoid once triggered. I don't see much of a difference between 1 and 2 stars tbh.

Only thing I hate is that when I drive normally, or just park and the polices crashes into ME while they chase someone else, I get a wanted level - wth.

Yeah, and that desolate area alarm. I'm literally on a mountain and get a star when I blow up my car with a grenade wth.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Can someone please tell me how I can see which of the available missions is the next main mission? I do rún into a lot of side missions where people want me to collect stuff and other things, hitting a main missions seems pure luck.

The letter icons without the question marks are the main missions. The "?" ones are counted as "Strangers & Freaks" missions.

Siegmeyer

Be gentle with the helicopters, guys. You have to use the full range of the throttle and stick, they're extremely sensitive. Most of the time you want to be at about halfway on each, and anything more is for the seriously fast swooping manoeuvres. I spent hundreds of hours flying in the old GTAs, and the first Flight School chopper mission in V was a real shock. It took me about an hour to really get a handle on it, but now I can make those suckers go exactly where I want them. Once you master the controls you'll find that helicopters are faster and more manoeuvrable than they've ever been in GTA. Same with the planes.

Same. Had real troubles on those first two trials, but after an hour or two, my skill is MUCH improved. It's still a bit janky, but at least it is now enjoyable, where it was sheer frustration before.

botty

Banned
How would you figure that?
The game pretty much centers on Michael and Trevor's relationship. Franklin just sort of seems like the guy who gets stuck in the middle of that.

Well I am thinking about the game in terms of growth and development:
Yeah we start out with the Michael/Trevor issue, but we're also introduced to Franklin as a, mostly passive, grunt. Throughout the story, you get to see Franklin developer a stronger voice under his mentors, and then by the end he is leading their actions and becomes the voice of reason between them. Michael has a bit of growth in regards to his family, but I don't think there is ever a sense of growth with Michael, and definitely not with Trevor. I can see this also being Michael's story, but I guess I am just looking for a cocktail of growth, significant plot points, and relationships with the characters.

Quick question: I bought a $250,000 car and stored it in my garage. I switched to Trevor then switched back to Michael and the car wasn't in the garage. Is this a bug or is there a certain way to save a vehicle?

I did that in GTA4 because of how boring the city was.

I drive everywhere in GTA5 myself. City is just that amazing.

I did a play through that was almost exclusively done by using the taxi to the mission location. I did another play through that was me driving everywhere on my own.

I preferred the taxi method, even though it wasted $$$$ that i could have used to buy armor and guns.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If you're talking about the
one from the Nigel missions, the gold requirement requires killing him. Although if you don't, the Weazel News segment on the radio afterwards is different. You pass the mission regardless of which you choose (I let him go).
Yeah
I ended up letting him go too. I'm all about the paper so I don't mind the cool $10k from it.

Pandemic

Anyone know how the fuel leak system works? How does a car start leaking fuel? I've fucked my car up yet they don't leak fuel..

Thought it was neat that GTAIV had Grover Washington Jr.'s "Knucklehead" on the radio and V has King Tee's "Played Like a Piano" which samples Knucklehead.

Quick question: I bought a $250,000 car and stored it in my garage. I switched to Trevor then switched back to Michael and the car wasn't in the garage. Is this a bug or is there a certain way to save a vehicle?

If you put it in the huge walk-in garage, each character has their own. Only "special vehicles" (once you have to press > on the d-pad to access) are shared between them, I believe.

If this was just a regular garage, the door of which opens when you approach it, then check the impound. Try not to steal/use other cars if you lose one though; the impound lot might have those instead.

Manic D

So do you get anything worthwhile for getting all gold on flying school? I completed it but had trouble on the helicopter lessons; what the hell have they done to helicopters in this game? I usually love flying them in most games, especially GTA, but these are arguably the worst I've ever used. Even with maximum flying skill they weave side to side when flying straight for example. I will avoid them at all costs; planes are good though, but the frequent turbulence is pretty stupid.

I got all gold and I didn't get any indication that anything was unlocked, so I guess not.
Enjoyed flight school but the turbulence/camera wobble still annoys me greatly sometimes.

Restrain This

Neo Member
Well I am thinking about the game in terms of growth and development:
Yeah we start out with the Michael/Trevor issue, but we're also introduced to Franklin as a, mostly passive, grunt. Throughout the story, you get to see Franklin developer a stronger voice under his mentors, and then by the end he is leading their actions and becomes the voice of reason between them. Michael has a bit of growth in regards to his family, but I don't think there is ever a sense of growth with Michael, and definitely not with Trevor. I can see this also being Michael's story, but I guess I am just looking for a cocktail of growth, significant plot points, and relationships with the characters.

Gotcha.
I see the argument, but whatever progression we see in Franklin feels tacked on to me more than it feels like a central thread of the narrative. His voice definitely changes throughout the story, but the game never puts direct focus on the underlying causes of that change. The plot still focuses on the whole Michael/Trevor side of things, and whatever development Franklin's character has seems to be a result of personal introspection rather than anything that happens in the game directly

I've just been screwing around with Michael for a few hours, and this game keeps finding ways to surprise and impress me. I absolutely LOVE the new wanted system and the random events.

I'm driving along the countryside in a stolen convertible after having
rescued a lady from some creeps
when I spot a Suburban, so I pull over to the parking lot and get out to shop for new sunglasses. I didn't realize that I still had my gun in my hands from the previous encounter. These three guys fall over themselves gawking my ride, saying how they don't see it very often, which makes me paranoid they're gonna jack my shit. One of them starts calling the cops over my handgun, so I walk up and knock him down with a right hook. His buddies come to try and take me down and I punch their lights out, but the first guy runs off and manages to call the cops.

Not wanting a protracted chase, I get back in my ride and drive to a nearby parking spot and turn off the headlights, hoping that the police vehicles will look past me. It works surprisingly well; two police cars show up and pull into the parking lot, and although they are near and I am inside the vision cone of one of them, they don't make me until one of them starts moving in my direction. There's a level of subtlety to the system I did NOT expect.

Zukuu

Banned
Hahahaha this mission with
Franklin, Lamar, and Trevor
is too good. The way they interact with each other is hilarious.

Just did that as well. I actually liked
Lamar
for the first time. He's like the embodiment of an idiotic player that asks the stupid questions so
Trevor
can give a story recap. xD

Pandemic

I don't know if that's in the game actually. At lesat, I've never seen that happening yet.

I do know it occurred in one of the first few missions, so I thought it was possible. And they mentioned it somewhere in an interview.

Also, is there an invincibility cheat yet? I want to go on a cop rampage but I only last with 3 stars.. :p

Zukuu

Banned
I only had Micheal in a suit at first, but I have to say, those up-tight suits, that can be bought in those cheap stores, where you see the socks, really suit Trevor. Looks like a freaking maniac-killer-psycho-clown in it.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| - U NO KEEP CUSTOM CAR

Gotcha.
I see the argument, but whatever progression we see in Franklin feels tacked on to me more than it feels like a central thread of the narrative. His voice definitely changes throughout the story, but the game never puts direct focus on the underlying causes of that change. The plot still focuses on the whole Michael/Trevor side of things, and whatever development Franklin's character has seems to be a result of personal introspection rather than anything that happens in the game directly

Yeah, he seems like the typical grunt gta character. I definitely see it as Michael and Trevor's story though. The heart of the story lies with them two. Franklin to me was just a character that was used to bring them together and help their relationship. If it had to be one individual character's story, I would say it was Michaels. The main points to the story deal with him, his past actions, and what he plans on doing.
Trevor was definitely my favorite though. I like how he was more than just the crazy guy. They were able to make me care about him

I only had Micheal in a suit at first, but I have to say, those up-tight suits, that can be bought in those cheap stores, where you see the socks, really suit Trevor. Looks like a freaking maniac-killer-psycho-clown in it.

Definitely. It's the flood pants.

Top Bottom