• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Impressive how unimpressive this shit look from both graphic and gameplay point of view.

collapse silo GIF

I don't think I've ever seen an action Star War games video push me off like this one did. WTF is this shit. The grenade scene with her jump is downright comical, who at Ubisoft said this scene is fine?

GymWolf

Gold Member
collapse silo GIF

I don't think I've ever seen an action Star War games video push me off like this one did. WTF is this shit. The grenade scene with her jump is downright comical, who at Ubisoft said this scene is fine?
it's on par with boss lady putting down a trooper with a slap from behind.

I have no fucking idea how the people behind division 2 are behind this piece of shit.

Look at 7:50 that goofy ass delayed enemy death animation :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

JCreasy

The performance concerns have to be the underlying reasons as to why Firewalk skipped Lumen and Nanite.

The curated baked lighting looks good. The beta was a blast and it ran silky smooth for me.

The performance concerns have to be the underlying reasons as to why Firewalk skipped Lumen and Nanite.

The curated baked lighting looks good. The beta was a blast and it ran silky smooth for me.
Lol, seriously? Its a simple shooter, not HellBlade 2 lol.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No Mans sky's next gen update has some striking visuals at times. Other planets dont look as good but they have improved the tech quite a bit since last gen.

usN0f0E.gif

czZ0lzI.gif

KOwI3lp.gif

I compare this to sports games like MLB that have remained stagnant since 2016. yes, no mans sky launched in a bad state but they have continued to improve it and now they are back porting tech from their new next gen only game to this 8 year old game.

Meanwhile, simply updating a config file to run games like bloodborne, driveclub, kzsf at 4k 60 fps is too much for studios with hundreds of employees who could probably do all that on a lunch break or over a weekend. You have games like GOW ragnorak that brought nothing next gen wise to their PS5 version. No RT, no fancy water exclusive to the PS5 version, no character model improvements, nothing. At least GG added hero lighting and next gen clouds to the ps5 version. i bet the horizon remake will be a copy pasta of HFW with no new features just like TLOU1 was a TLOU2 copy pasta with same exact assets and no next gen tech.

This is why im not too harsh on games like Avatar, Star Wars Jedi and Star Wars Outlaws. at least those devs are trying to push the system with RT features, higher quality assets, draw distance and improved lighting we simply couldnt get last gen.

Last edited:
No Mans sky's next gen update has some striking visuals at times. Other planets dont look as good but they have improved the tech quite a bit since last gen.

usN0f0E.gif

czZ0lzI.gif

KOwI3lp.gif

I compare this to sports games like MLB that have remained stagnant since 2016. yes, no mans sky launched in a bad state but they have continued to improve it and now they are back porting tech from their new next gen only game to this 8 year old game.

Meanwhile, simply updating a config file to run games like bloodborne, driveclub, kzsf at 4k 60 fps is too much for studios with hundreds of employees who could probably do all that on a lunch break or over a weekend. You have games like GOW ragnorak that brought nothing next gen wise to their PS5 version. No RT, no fancy water exclusive to the PS5 version, no character model improvements, nothing. At least GG added hero lighting and next gen clouds to the ps5 version. i bet the horizon remake will be a copy pasta of HFW with no new features just like TLOU1 was a TLOU2 copy pasta with same exact assets and no next gen tech.

This is why im not too harsh on games like Avatar, Star Wars Jedi and Star Wars Outlaws. at least those devs are trying to push the system with RT features, higher quality assets, draw distance and improved lighting we simply couldnt get last gen.
Gears of war , gta 6 and fable are coming to save us from this garbage gen

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Bought nobody wants to die because its only $20 and UE5.

Looks good but the first area didnt impress me much. some nice volumetric effects but other than that, it looked fairly last gen.

its when you go to your apartment building where we see some really good lighting and level of detail.

6r19YPT.gif

NKuq4Nl.gif

Game is very boring though. i dont know why we cant have nice graphics and fun gameplay. alan wake, hellblade 2 and now this.

mrMUR_96

EA FC 25 has ray tracing
“FC 25 will have ray traced and occlusion as part of enhanced visuals,” Muoio explained. “We'll have full cloth sim on the jersey and the shorts during gameplay, self-shadowing at all times of the day, rim lighting on the players. So what that does is the closeup shots will really punch out from the background, and give you more depth to the frame. And then we will have 3D pitch divots and puddles as well.

“Particularly with shadowing, we see the shadowing on the pitch, on the player, even in the crowd we see that impact of the shadows there.”

Nice to see a sports game finally try and push graphics a little bit, guess we'll have to wait to see the actual results though.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Bought nobody wants to die because its only $20 and UE5.

Looks good but the first area didnt impress me much. some nice volumetric effects but other than that, it looked fairly last gen.

its when you go to your apartment building where we see some really good lighting and level of detail.

6r19YPT.gif

NKuq4Nl.gif

Game is very boring though. i dont know why we cant have nice graphics and fun gameplay. alan wake, hellblade 2 and now this.
Looks like Observer, is it game like that too?

SlimySnake

Looks like Observer, is it game like that too?
Never played it.

Gameplay basically revolves around scanning items then reversing time, scanning more items, reversing time some more until the game tells you to stop.

its just boring. for a game that spent so much time on the graphics, im surprised at how little effort was put into gameplay.

SlimySnake

EA FC 25 has ray tracing
“FC 25 will have ray traced and occlusion as part of enhanced visuals,” Muoio explained. “We'll have full cloth sim on the jersey and the shorts during gameplay, self-shadowing at all times of the day, rim lighting on the players. So what that does is the closeup shots will really punch out from the background, and give you more depth to the frame. And then we will have 3D pitch divots and puddles as well.

“Particularly with shadowing, we see the shadowing on the pitch, on the player, even in the crowd we see that impact of the shadows there.”

Nice to see a sports game finally try and push graphics a little bit, guess we'll have to wait to see the actual results though.
its crazy to me that no one has thought of doing hero lighting on players before. I know they do it in cutscenes but they need to stand out on the pitch during gameplay too.

Self shadowing will help a lot on the faces. The RE4/RE3 path tracing patches show just how poor the character models look without proper selfshadowing on the faces. character models need extra lighting to bring out that detail.

Cloth sim is something we had in the ps3 era. I think the 2K games were doing it. They had these great wind physics in some baseball games. The show was always behind but its now like 10 years behind on some of this tech.

I think ray traced AO will ground the players better, but they need ray traced shadows as well. They said the shadows affect the pitch so maybe he just misspoke and they have RT shadows AND RTAO. I think they should have RTGI, shadows and AO as a must in these sports games to ground the players better and give the grass more definition. Drop down to 1440p 60 fps if you have to. A lot of these games are targeting native 4k 60 fps since the PS4 Pro and X1X came out and im like why? Just improve visuals. 1440p is perfect for sports games because you dont move around the camera as often in Fifa, MLB, NBA and Madden. at worst its a slow pan. So you wont be getting those blurry artifacting from upscaling in those games anyway. The crowd might suffer from noise but its rare to see them outside of cutscenes anyway.

SlimySnake

Why? it's the pattern you would expect..
i guess this is why i was a sony fan. they spend time on both graphics and gameplay (combat, their puzzles are trash). these indie studios just want to create walking simulators with pretty graphics and call it a day.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It was worthy for quite some time already. The story is shite, but sandbox and exploration is S-tier. It also has support for VR if you are into that.
What do you do in the sandbox and what do you find during exploration?

Is there a strong focus on combat or you just find stuff to build more stuff like new spaceships or bases?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Could never get into NMS somehow and I'm quite a space-sim junkie. It always felt like a nifty minecraft in space.

Why are you base building when the goal of the game is to explore? Always felt like it inherently didn't know what kind of game to be.

I'll try again I guess maybe when world part 2 drops, but I've been on like 6 attemps so far and always bored me out to tears. I keep buying survival sandbox games and I drop them out. I should stop :lollipop_neutral:

Lethal01

i guess this is why i was a sony fan. they spend time on both graphics and gameplay (combat, their puzzles are trash). these indie studios just want to create walking simulators with pretty graphics and call it a day.

They are indies, after all, can't expect them to regularly deliver graphics close to AAA companies in addition to gameplay on par. Not impossible, but if they could regularly do it in a workable timeframe that would take a miracle.

Audiophile

Two things that'd truly elevate No Man's Sky would be virtualised geometry and RT water reflections.

The hard draw-in and pop-in; and the screen space reflections on the water completely destroy the coherency of the image and undermines the sense of wonder or scale you feel when looking out across the land, travelling across water or when you come into the planet and just see large hard-edged tiles of land loading in with no transition. These things are so poorly handled.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Two things that'd truly elevate No Man's Sky would be virtualised geometry and RT water reflections.

The hard draw-in and pop-in; and the screen space reflections on the water completely destroy the coherency of the image and undermines the sense of wonder or scale you feel when looking out across the land, travelling across water or when you come into the planet and just see large hard-edged tiles of land loading in with no transition. These things are so poorly handled.

Hard to really know how viable this is when they have their own custom engine focused on procedural generation.

Elog

Meanwhile, simply updating a config file to run games like bloodborne, driveclub, kzsf at 4k 60 fps is too much for studios with hundreds of employees who could probably do all that on a lunch break or over a weekend.
Fundamentally I agree with you but it is not fair to put Bloodborne on that list. The old FromSoft games used a frame as the time unit for everything in the game. In other words, all animations/animation assets and balancing was made with 30 FPS as a hard-lock. You need to redo every animation in the game including the creation of new assets to change framerate. That is alot of work. For the vast majority of games that is of course not true and your point fully stands.

hlm666

Other forms of raytracing normally gets called out for it's performance cost. This video shows lumen has the same dilemma. The performance hit is up there with full path/ray traced costs.

winjer

Gold Member
Other forms of raytracing normally gets called out for it's performance cost. This video shows lumen has the same dilemma. The performance hit is up there with full path/ray traced costs.

But Lumen has 2 render paths. One using SDFs and another using ray-tracing.
They are both called Lumen.

SlimySnake

Fundamentally I agree with you but it is not fair to put Bloodborne on that list. The old FromSoft games used a frame as the time unit for everything in the game. In other words, all animations/animation assets and balancing was made with 30 FPS as a hard-lock. You need to redo every animation in the game including the creation of new assets to change framerate. That is alot of work. For the vast majority of games that is of course not true and your point fully stands.
Even bloodborne runs fine at 60 fps. no extra work needed for animations.

hlm666

But Lumen has 2 render paths. One using SDFs and another using ray-tracing.
They are both called Lumen.
I'm assuming he is using software lumen where it uses sdf's but it doesn't really matter, hardware lumen is only slightly faster if at all (unless you murder it with kitbashing), it basically just has better gi/shadow/reflection quality/distance. But my point still stands ~150fps to ~50fps is the kind of performance hit you see in stuff like alan wake 2 where we had debates about if it was really worth it.

If we are debating that software lumen is not raytracing, you can take that up with epic because they use the term software raytracing in the docs and lumen settings.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Lmao at Zelda popping up here. Super mediocre games from a technical standpoint. Better than your average game type physics doesn't make up for the rest of the technical mediocrity of these Nintendo games. I salute Sony and MS for always pushing the technology forward in the videogame industry with each generation of consoles. Nintendo can kiss my ass with these school tablets.
I agree you can't really push graphics when your hardware is so old.

SimTourist

Raytracing is such an easy way to sag performance for years to come it's kinda funny. Once the GPU can at least manage 1 bounce of rays at decent framerates, boom, make it 2 bounces, performance down once again, repeat over and over again. Much easier than making high quality models or good physics.

winjer

Gold Member
I'm assuming he is using software lumen where it uses sdf's but it doesn't really matter, hardware lumen is only slightly faster if at all (unless you murder it with kitbashing), it basically just has better gi/shadow/reflection quality/distance. But my point still stands ~150fps to ~50fps is the kind of performance hit you see in stuff like alan wake 2 where we had debates about if it was really worth it.

If we are debating that software lumen is not raytracing, you can take that up with epic because they use the term software raytracing in the docs and lumen settings.

SDFs are usually faster than hardware RT, by a significant margin. But it's also less precise.
That is why consoles almost always use software Lumen.

SlimySnake

Raytracing is such an easy way to sag performance for years to come it's kinda funny. Once the GPU can at least manage 1 bounce of rays at decent framerates, boom, make it 2 bounces, performance down once again, repeat over and over again. Much easier than making high quality models or good physics.
It has other benefits. Right now high or ultra screenspace shadows and screenspace reflections have a massive cost on PCs. iirc, cyberpunk's ultra screenspace reflections have a 35% cost on the gpu and shadows have always been a massive 10-20% hit if you push them to ultra.

yes, ray tracing is killing framerates but its offering way better quality shadows and reflections at slightly higher costs. shadows actually dont have a high cost if you pair it with other features like rtgi or rt reflections. ive seen just a 3-4% drop in performance when i enable rt shadows in cyberpunk after enabling other reflection settings.

yes, higher quality models are hard work because you need artists to go back and remodel everything, but baking in GI, and reflections are still time consuming. thats why you are seeing more and more developers embrace ray tracing. even mark cerny was surprised by this but the time saved is a handy bonus when the results speak for themselves.

i do agree that character models and asset quality should be prioritized over rt effects, but im not unhappy with the focus on RT either. its made so many average looking games look so much more realistic. dragons dogma, star wars outlaws, avatar. these games arent even targeting photorealistic but the lighting and shadows just look right.

i wonder how much of this scene in nobody wants to die is being enhanced by rt effects, but man it looked amazing because nothing felt like it was being lit incorrectly or not being lit correctly. it just looked right.

xpE35Y7.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Apparently Konami is making a baseball game using unreal engine 5 and it looks fucking insane. set to release on pc and ps5 only in september. meanwhile sony san diego is busy making ps4 and switch versions. The lighting, the materials, the level of detail in the stadiums all look fucking phenomenal. Even the animations look way better than the ones ive been playing in mlb the show which still have that stiff ps3 era feel to them.

JGGNzxh.gif

jLCK4SG.gif

cjPdRON.gif

USqmu1U.gif

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Apparently Konami is making a baseball game using unreal engine 5 and it looks fucking insane. set to release on pc and ps5 only in september. meanwhile sony san diego is busy making ps4 and switch versions. The lighting, the materials, the level of detail in the stadiums all look fucking phenomenal. Even the animations look way better than the ones ive been playing in mlb the show which still have that stiff ps3 era feel to them.

JGGNzxh.gif

jLCK4SG.gif

cjPdRON.gif

USqmu1U.gif

Damn, that looks amazing!

Top Bottom