• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

Just caught up with the show The Jinx and now this..

UImwBIZ.gif

Neo Dark

Oh haven't gotten to talk about this yet. Ex suddenly started messaging me while I was watching.

Anyways, this episode was all over the place and was glorious. I actually thought
Stan was actually the author and actually lost his memory and the 6 finger thing was just to throw us off and he was actually trying to recover his memory. Should have expected a twin brother thing. Not sure why I didn't.

Either way, was a great episode. We still have a few more episodes in the season right? No long gap like season 1 and 2 happening again right? Definitely needs to see where this is going to go from here on out.

Edit:
Oh guess there is more coming since we haven't had the character that won't survive the season yet right? Unless I missed something lol.

G-0ff

Neo Member
This season has just been phenomenal so far. some of the funniest episodes in the entire show alongside some really great character and plot development - often in the same episode. This is by far the best of the bunch though, and easily my new favourite episode of the series. The adult-tinged humor is pitch black and pitch perfect (I'm alone, I can swear for real!), the twists and turns the plot takes are super smart, and the final scene is incredibly well-done both in terms of writing and animation. The best thing on television keeps getting better.

Tizoc

DAT ENDING!

Also 'SUNUVA-', man I love this show.
I also liked the taxi part "DEFINITELY follow that cab!"

arumisan

"Is the the part where one of us faints?"
"I'm so on it dude."
Oh my... I lost it there...

The final scene (and credits) was completely heartbreaking.
Agreed with other posters how the dynamic between Dipper and Mabel will be played out in the future episodes. The fact that Mabel placed her belief that Stan treasured her and Dipper (and regardless of his lies, he was doing what he did with them out of harm's way) over the possibility that it was a doomsday device? That it was completely believeable and over the space of 20-ish minutes? I love Gravity Falls.
In fact - the AV club review of the Pines siblings relationship with Stan was so on point. Her and Stan's relationship would be irrepairable if she pushed the button: she believed in the best of people and if she pushed it, it meant that there was doubt in her heart and would have gone against what she believed in.
Even though I want to know what the writers are going to do with Stan's Twin, the most I'm interested in is how they are going to deal with the aftermaths of Dipper and Mabel's relationship. Though Hamlet's theories on future plot points sounds what they would probs go for.
Such great character work throughout the episode. And in an episodic type show there was an immense amount of forward movement with the plot too!

On another note, the background art is completely gorgeous - the prison break scene was beautifully animated too. I'm hoping there's not another long wait for the next episode as I need more Gravity Falls. Like now.

Tuck

Only real flaw with this episode was the lack of Wendy.

Wendy is to Gravity Falls as Asami was to the Legend of Korra. So often, forgotten.

KHlover

Banned
Of course this episode airs when I'm 200km away from my flat and won't come back until the weekend. All I have is 64kbit internet on ny phone since I already blew through my data volume. Great... :/

Keasar

Holy shit that was amazing.

Didn't someone theorize
that Stan had a brother? I am so sure I read it in last seasons Gravity Falls thread that Stan had a brother that he was trying to get based on symbols found around that lab.

Aki-at

Amazing episode, this show continues to deliver. The music really is topnotch at times, I could listen to the soundtrack!

Between Gravity Falls, TMNT and Gumball, it almost feels like there hasn't been a better time to be a fan of animation.

Good episode. I just recently got Disney XD so the marathon helped catch me up.
I thought the brother thing was already confirmed somehow so it wasn't much of a shock.

Toxi

Banned
Holy shit that was amazing.

Didn't someone theorize
that Stan had a brother? I am so sure I read it in last seasons Gravity Falls thread that Stan had a brother that he was trying to get based on symbols found around that lab.
It's been a popular theory for a while, mainly based on the different appearances of Stan in his flashback and past-Stan in The Time Traveler's Pig. I just never expected it to actually be true.

KHlover

Banned
Found a reupload of the episode on youtube. Took four hours to download, but it was totally worth it. Such a great episode, Top 5 of the entire series so far for sure *-*

PensOwl

Banned
Wow that episode... I really don't have anything coherent to say right now except so many of the scenes were just gorgeous

Specifically
the zero gravity prison break and Mabel at the portal

I'm slightly disappointed that the theory
about Stan's brother turned out to be true, but I'm going to blame that one of the fan base figuring it out ahead of time. Really excited to see where they'll go with this. Why six fingers...?

aravuus

GOD

DAMN

What an amazing episode, I really, really, REALLY can't wait for the next one

It was even better to me since I don't read any theories or anything like that

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't feel as though I've enjoyed the episodes of this season as much as the first, but that's maybe because they're so spread out. I basically binged on the first season.

However, this episode was exactly what I've been wanting for a while.

Chariot

Yeah, Asami's greatest flaw was actually not being where the action was. It wss liked the plot was hiding from her after season 1 and before the finale. It's very sad.

UberTag

One extra amazing thing - the swingset that the kids are sitting on over the credits appears in the background of the dreamscape episode... With one broken seat. Someone on youtube called it out in a video at the end of 2013. I'm on my phone right now, so I can't link it, but it blew my mind when I saw it tonight.
cfe.png

They called out the twin theory based on a busted swing set image?
That's ballsy.

Guess we'll find out more... in 4 months or so. Give or take.

I just saw the episode last night

haven't watched much this season but i really need to catch up, holy shit at that ending D: D: D:

Soos the god

Chariot

They called out the twin theory based on a busted swing set image?
That's ballsy.
Somebody called the whole middle story arc of Attack on Titan one year before the first reveals. Thread was funny, people were laughing about him and were eating big crows when the called twists came true one after another. This is from 2012 [spoiler for Attack on Titan obv.]

People are weirdly correct some time.

I don't mind spacing episodes out and taking a break but Disney is really inconsistent. If they have around the same amount of episodes from last season they could do 1 new episode every 2 weeks, take a 3 month break and go back in to new episodes on the same spacing and have content for a year.

Season 2 is suppose to be between 20 and 22 episodes long, and "Not What He Seems" is the 11th episode of this season, so why couldn't they just have cut out the couple of gaps they had in the fall so we could have gotten to this point before the holiday break and then air the back half of the season after the new year started? Or, in layman's terms: WHY THE FUCK CAN'T DISNEY JUST SCHEDULE SHIT LIKE A NORMAL FUCKING TELEVISION CHANNEL?!?

Crocodile

So I'm guessing you have to be a regular viewer of this show to appreciate the most recent episode? The weird scheduling means its been impossible for me to watch episodes of this show with any regularity or in any order so if there's some larger narrative in place I'm ignorant to it. I heard this episode was hype so I tried to make an effort to see it but without that prior investment this didn't really do much for me. Like obviously it was well directed/written/animated but I was clearly supposed to be like "OH SHIT" when in actually I was just "that was cool I guess?".

wwm0nkey

So I'm guessing you have to be a regular viewer of this show to appreciate the most recent episode? The weird scheduling means its been impossible for me to watch episodes of this show with any regularity or in any order so if there's some larger narrative in place I'm ignorant to it. I heard this episode was hype so I tried to make an effort to see it but without that prior investment this didn't really do much for me. Like obviously it was well directed/written/animated but I was clearly supposed to be like "OH SHIT" when in actually I was just "that was cool I guess?".

Yeah you NEED to watch shows like this, Venture Brothers and Steven Universe in order or else you miss a lot of things that lead up to the hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom