• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

I wish this show was on a better channel. Disney is so fucking terrible when it comes to scheduling.

So hyped for the next episode.

Permanently A

So I'm guessing you have to be a regular viewer of this show to appreciate the most recent episode? The weird scheduling means its been impossible for me to watch episodes of this show with any regularity or in any order so if there's some larger narrative in place I'm ignorant to it. I heard this episode was hype so I tried to make an effort to see it but without that prior investment this didn't really do much for me. Like obviously it was well directed/written/animated but I was clearly supposed to be like "OH SHIT" when in actually I was just "that was cool I guess?".

Well yeah, throughout the entire series one of the big questions, if not THE big question, was "what is Stan up to?"

This episode gives us that answer, plus rewards fans who paid attention (there were tons of theories about the twist).

In a lot of ways this episode feels like a season finale (and I guess they're treating it as such if the new eps this summer rumor is true) so yeah, you're not gonna feel the full impact unless you were already along for the ride. This episode is the payoff, not the jumping on point.

It started out kind of slow but man it turned into one of the best animated shows out their when it comes to plot and continuity.

Yeah, I even recommend straight up skipping the first two episodes of Venture Brothers, since they are much weaker than the others in the season, IMO. Season 3 is also overall kind of meh, but it has important plot events.

Toxi

Banned
Hated by whom? That is some weird shit. I'm interested in hearing what it's doing on that list.
"However, it's also been called dark, stereotypical, and inappropriate for kids."

Nothing beyond that.

I consider Gravity Falls pretty good with stereotypes. Outside the Northwests, the people of Gravity Falls are all fundamentally decent people if not the brightest bulbs, and the show's humor often comes from subverting the stereotypes it does use (Such as Manly Dan being a fan of Sev'ral Timez).

abundant

I wish this show was on a better channel. Disney is so fucking terrible when it comes to scheduling.

Seriously. If this was on Cartoon Network, we'd be getting a new episode every Thursday until the season ends, followed by the post season break, then back to having new episodes every Thursday.

Chariot

Seriously. If this was on Cartoon Network, we'd be getting a new episode every Thursday until the season ends, followed by the post season break, then back to having new episodes every Thursday.
Pff. Cartoon Network. These fuckers would've treated Gravity Falls not very different. Just look what they did to Young Justice and the dozens of others good shows they killed.

Toxi

Banned
Pff. Cartoon Network. These fuckers would've treated Gravity Falls not very different. Just look what they did to Young Justice and the dozens of others good shows they killed.
Steven Universe is doing pretty well; we're in the middle of a week with new episodes every night, and they've renewed the show for two more seasons.

Young Justice died because of the Weisman curse anyway.

RetroMG

Well yeah, throughout the entire series one of the big questions, if not THE big question, was "what is Stan up to?"

This episode gives us that answer, plus rewards fans who paid attention (there were tons of theories about the twist).

It's even bigger than that. The other major question of the series has been "who wrote the journals, and where did he go?" which was also answered. (Well, kind of on the second one.) With that question answered, in addition to the one you mentioned, (because we've known Stan's had a secret since episode one,) this could have been a season finale.

abundant

First of all is Gravity Falls an action show? No.

Secondly, since last Summer, Cartoon Network has been airing new episodes of their shows every Thursday with little breaks for the holidays. The list of shows include Adventure Time, Clarence, Gumball, Regular Show, Steven Universe, Teen Titans GO!, and Uncle Grandpa.

They've changed. Yes they currently don't air action shows, but they've been treating their comedy lineup pretty good with a lot of advertising and a consistent schedule.

daydream

Banned
Woah, this really ramped up with the last episode. Looking forward to see where it all goes.

Loved the Pacifica episode, maybe my favourite one of the season.

Crayolan

Just caught up on the last two episodes. I know Not What He Seems was supposed to be the big hype episode, but I actually liked Northwest Mansion Noir more. Dipper and Pacifica actually work pretty well together, their relationship was really cute. As for Not What He Seems, it felt just a little too over the top for me (especially in the escaping prison scene), but I did like the scene at the end where Stan convinces Mabel to not push the button and I feel like this episode will give a great lead-up to an even better following episode, whenever that airs.

Hamlet

AV Club Interview with Alex Hirsch

AVC: Where are you planning to take the show from here? And how soon until a new episode airs?
AH: Networks are pretty tight lipped about programming strategies, but I’ve been told that Gravity Falls will return “This Summer.”

Disney!
tumblr_nbm1ruaGX81r45g3go1_500.gif

Summer is pretty weird. Maybe it's so they don't run into a problem of not being done with episodes, and running out of time?

The feeling I got from that interview is that the rest of this season's already finished, and the decision to delay the next batch of episodes was purely a network one.

UberTag

The feeling I got from that interview is that the rest of this season's already finished, and the decision to delay the next batch of episodes was purely a network one.
That's clearly the case. The 2014 copyright on this week's episode was proof enough of that.
Disney is actively going out of their way to fuck this show in terms of ratings, pacing and just about everything else.

Is there anyone else who watches Disney shows regularly? Are these baffling scheduling decisions only affecting Gravity Falls, or are a bunch of their shows getting fucked over by this bullshit?

I know for a fact they aren't completely finished with the season. But they do have episodes done.

That's what I said.

Is there anyone else who watches Disney shows regularly? Are these baffling scheduling decisions only affecting Gravity Falls, or are a bunch of their shows getting fucked over by this bullshit?

That's what I said.
You said they're done with the rest of the season. They aren't. They're done with some, but not all.

You said they're done with the rest of the season. They aren't. They're done with some, but not all.

No, I said that they've finished making the rest of the episodes for this season and they're ready to air, but Disney's holding them back for some reason. Sorry if I made a poor choice of words on that.

LuffyZoro

No, I said that they've finished making the rest of the episodes for this season and they're ready to air, but Disney's holding them back for some reason. Sorry if I made a poor choice of words on that.

And Ajemsuhgao is saying that they haven't finished making all of the episodes for this season, but that they have finished making some of the episodes.

I think I'm actually the one you're misreading. I'm saying they have not finished production on the remaining episodes, and only some of them are ready to air.

And Ajemsuhgao is saying that they haven't finished making all of the episodes for this season, but that they have finished making some of the episodes.

Yes. This.

I think I'm actually the one you're misreading. I'm saying they have not finished production on the remaining episodes, and only some of them are ready to air.

Do you have any proof of this, because, as I stated earlier, the interview poster earlier HEAVILY implies this is purely a network decision and not affected in any way by how many episodes of the current season are completed.

Ratings wise, Gravity Falls does really well for Disney XD. Northwest Mystery Mansion did really good numbers despite the long break.

Star Wars Rebels, a highly anticipated show that also aired on the network, isn't even close to passing some of the numbers Gravity Falls has and continues to do.

Neo Dark

AV Club Interview with Alex Hirsch

AVC: Where are you planning to take the show from here? And how soon until a new episode airs?

AH: Networks are pretty tight lipped about programming strategies, but I’ve been told that Gravity Falls will return “This Summer.”

Oh look we can use that gif already.
@Disney
vRpb.gif

Really sucks American TV channels love having mid season finale. Even worst when they don't tell you or just use the word "finale" when they do tell you without the words "mid-season"
Don't know if you guys watch GSN but they have a game show called "The Chase" and they promoted Tuesday's episode as the finale. I was like what? They're cancelling the series? I thought it was doing really well. Nope... it was a "mid-season finale"

Tuck

They wouldn't start airing a season until a sizeable portion of it is done. Then they'd work on the rest of the season as it aired - pretty sure thats how korra was done, and that aired on a weekly basis.

Considering the long breaks between episodes that are NOT normal, I'd say the season is very likely done. You don't need weeks between episodes to get things done on time. Thats not normal at all.

abundant

It's a mixed bag. Some shows like Phineas and Ferb & Wonder Over Yonder have a schedule similar to Gravity Falls while Star Wars: Rebels and their Marvel shows have a little more consistent schedule (but not by much, instead of one new show followed by month long breaks, they will have a string of new shows followed by month long breaks).

What the hell, it's off until SUMMER? I can barely remember what happened previously when there is a month or two between episodes. Sigh.

aravuus

It started out kind of slow but man it turned into one of the best animated shows out their when it comes to plot and continuity.

Yeah, I even recommend straight up skipping the first two episodes of Venture Brothers, since they are much weaker than the others in the season, IMO. Season 3 is also overall kind of meh, but it has important plot events.

The first couple of episodes were pretty boring but by ep5, I was totally sucked in. What a hilarious show, I'll easily waste at least.. A day or two with this while waiting for more Gravity Falls lol

kami_sama

Wait, what?!
I thought next chapter was going to be out tomorrow! D:
Right when I pick up the series, there's a (at least) 3-month hiatus.
Just my luck.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Finally catching up after neglecting like all of season 2. Just finished the one with the computer girlfriend. I'm not crazy, right? The scene where she takes over the TVs in the mall is an explicit reference to Shodan yeah? The cadence and structure of her speech is identical

SykoTech

First of all is Gravity Falls an action show? No.

Secondly, since last Summer, Cartoon Network has been airing new episodes of their shows every Thursday with little breaks for the holidays. The list of shows include Adventure Time, Clarence, Gumball, Regular Show, Steven Universe, Teen Titans GO!, and Uncle Grandpa.

They've changed. Yes they currently don't air action shows, but they've been treating their comedy lineup pretty good with a lot of advertising and a consistent schedule.

I believe all of those are shows with measily 11-minute new episodes, unlike Gravity Falls. And Gravity Falls isn't getting much better promotion on Disney XD than it ever would on CN. Instead of having to share most of it's promos with Uncle Grandpa, Clarence, and that other junk for a "New Thursdays" thing, GF gets plenty of ads/shorts/promos dedicated to it and it alone. Hell, before "Not What He Seems" aired, DXD did a marathon in which they showed every single GF episode to get people caught up CN would have never done that.

The airing schedule may be wonky, but Gravity Falls is good where it is. At least it's in no danger of getting Symbionic Titan'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom