• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp hope it doesn't end up like that.

I'd like to think that, given how connected to the fanbase Alex is, Disney would see it as a bad move to continue the series without him, as viewership would likely drop like a rock. So it's possible that, clause or not, he could say "It's gonna end now or I'll walk" and Disney will let him do it.

But I also know that while working for Disney, Tim Burton drew something resembling Edward Scissorhands on a scrap of paper and their legal team tried to sue the shit out of him for it.

If it got a movie would it be TV only or actually in cinemas you think?

Could honestly go either way. DuckTales was hugely popular, ran 4 seasons, and ended with a theatrical movie. Teacher's Pet only lasted 2 seasons, and ended with a theatrical movie, and it bombed. Recess lasted 6 seasons, got a theatrical movie, a DVD movie, and then a weird spin-off crossover with Lilo & Stitch. Disney's Doug lasted 2(?) seasons and got a theatrical movie.

I feel like it would have to be a TV movie because Duck Tales, Teacher's Pet, Recess, the stories in those movies are very self contained. You don't have to have seen the series to get into them. But the Gravity Falls movie is meant to end the series, a series with heavy continuity and lore, meaning they can't do a self-contained "if you haven't watched the show it's not a problem" story. You'd have to have watched the two prior seasons for it to make sense.

NEO0MJ

If they let him end it like he likes and have the new season start with next years summer I think it could work. Though doesn't Alex himself voice Soos and Stan? I wonder who they can replace him with.

If they let him end it like he likes and have the new season start with next years summer I think it could work. Though doesn't Alex himself voice Soos and Stan? I wonder who they can replace him with.

Well there's also the fact that it's very rooted in Alex's childhood, which is why Disney was so keen to greenlight it. Dipper IS Alex. Mabel IS his sister. And yes as you point out, Alex voices Soos and Grunkle Stan.

I don't know what they'll wind up doing but I do know that he really, really hates the way they're handling the release schedule.

aravuus

Well there's also the fact that it's very rooted in Alex's childhood, which is why Disney was so keen to greenlight it. Dipper IS Alex. Mabel IS his sister. And yes as you point out, Alex voices Soos and Grunkle Stan.

Sounds like Alex has had a pretty exciting childhood

I'm hoping for a third season with a weekly broadcasting schedule

Portman

why don't shows like this get proper DVD/Blu-Ray releases. Would love to watch this :(

That is something that has bothered me for a while. I've been buying the DVDs as they are released to show support for it after it was mentioned that Disney pays attention to stuff like that by the creator a while back. I just wish they would be faster with getting them out since season 1 isn't even complete on disc yet and here we are halfway(?) through season 2.

But if they were to suddenly wise up and release some type of box set I would buy it in an instant.

abundant

Doubtful that Disney would continue it. Look at the airing schedule. They already give no fucks about the show

I wouldn't say that, because they do this to piratically all of their shows (inconsistent schedule). Now if they move new episodes to Midnight, like they did to Tron, then yeah they don't give a fuck about the show.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Considering Disney XD ran Gravity Falls marathons the days the latest two episodes air, I'd say they do care about the show.

Hamlet

Doubtful that Disney would continue it. Look at the airing schedule. They already give no fucks about the show

I wouldn't quite say that. Despite the erratic schedule they really do market the hell out of new episodes and it seems to work pretty well for them as the show has been getting fantastic ratings for Disney XD.
I'm sure they would want to continue it considering its been propping up Disney XD quite a bit since the move there.
With series highs, last Monday’s momentous cliffhanger telecast of “Gravity Falls” ranked as Disney XD’s #1 series telecast in the network’s history in Total Viewers (2.057 million), its #1 animated series telecast on record among Kids 2-11 (1.021 million/2.6 rating), Kids 6-11 (824,000/3.5 rating), Kids 6-14 (1.147 million/3.2 rating) and Boys 6-14 (655,000/3.6 rating), and its #1 telecast of 2015 to date among Boys 2-11 (501,000/2.5 rating).
Link

KiN0

I hope we get a third season least not for the chance to make an awesome 3 volume dvd/blu ray box modeled after the 3 journals.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I hope we get a third season least not for the chance to make an awesome 3 volume dvd/blu ray box modeled after the 3 journals.

Season 1 = Journal 1
Season 2 = Journal 2
Movie = Journal 3

Or Alex could hopefully find some new ideas for a Season 3 because that would be awesome.

Pachinko

I think the thing I find most baffling about this shows popularity is that it seems like it hits so far above it's target audience. I started watching it because a friend of mine with a 4 year old son told me it was one of the things his kid watched that he could sit through.

I mean , it's not like it's aimed at adults or anything but it's rated TV7 and seems to be written for someone about twice that age.

Either way I really enjoy what I've seen of it so far (season 1 and 7 episodes of season 2). I just wish Disney would support it with a bluray release. Go all out with it too.

Conan-san

Been catching up between everything. It's sort of blatant that the shorts are written by the Homestar runner guy. I kinda want to hear the Mystery Shack advert voiced by Strongbad.

The continual struggle that is loving this show has passed onto my younger brother as well as a few of the guys I worked with last summer.
I'm happy to know it's doing well ratings wise however.

The continual struggle that is loving this show has passed onto my younger brother as well as a few of the guys I worked with last summer.
I'm happy to know it's doing well ratings wise however.

Hey there's nothing better than getting others to suffer with you. Like getting friends to read Berserk or A Song of Ice and Fire.

PensOwl

Banned
I know the next episode isn't going to be for a very long while, but every time this thread gets bumped my heart skips a beat.

Hamlet

Some new footage from the original Gravity Falls pilot.
Hmm.
tumblr_no4avx4HyE1tef55uo9_1280.png

It's probably Hirsch. I read somewhere that Gravity Falls was originally a student film he did at CalArts.

From what I've read, the pilot is just something they threw together as part of the process of getting the show picked up by Disney, and I think the thing with the voice might just be because they threw it in at the last minute and didn't have Kristen there to record the line, since she did apparently voice Mabel in the pilot going by this clip.

Yep, really neat to see this stuff continue to leak, but a quick note: the source that hosted this is now claiming the brunette is not Wendy. But if you look at the other prototypes, the poofy hat matches, so I don't know...

latest

Also, not to break topic, if any GF-GAFers can help with this, the last few times this topic has been updated, it doesn't appear as bold in my subs.? Any advice?

NEO0MJ

Yep, really neat to see this stuff continue to leak, but a quick note: the source that hosted this is now claiming the brunette is not Wendy. But if you look at the other prototypes, the poofy hat matches, so I don't know...

She was probably going to be the older female friend, but that's about it. She changed so much during development that she became a new character.

Was three episodes behind and finally caught up tonight, don't care for more relationship nonsense but whatever, it's not like you can make Robbie a good character anyway
even though they made Wendy an actual character from the start of S2.
The Pacifica development was nice I guess, looking forward to future episodes with her and that final episode was a big set up for things to come or arrived rather. After watching all of Parks and Rec and hearing Nick Offerman as that FBI Agent seems like... It's not the same as compared to how he sounds as Ron, I dunno. It's weird. At least I won't be waiting a long time or as much as most.

Swamped

Banned
Was three episodes behind and finally caught up tonight, don't care for more relationship nonsense but whatever, it's not like you can make Robbie a good character anyway
even though they made Wendy an actual character from the start of S2.
The Pacifica development was nice I guess, looking forward to future episodes with her and that final episode was a big set up for things to come or arrived rather. After watching all of Parks and Rec and hearing Nick Offerman as that FBI Agent seems like... It's not the same as compared to how he sounds as Ron, I dunno. It's weird. At least I won't be waiting a long time or as much as most.

But was that actually Nick Offerman? It sounded incredibly like him, so i carefully looked for his name in the credits but it wasn't there. Some other actor must have the same voice....

And great news about the return from hiatus!

The Usual Sources.

And just like that *blows hand*

the episodes were gone

Well,

This is Hirsch's official Twitter, confirming the news:

https://mobile.twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/601862231085559808

Themysteryofgravityfalls tumblr (the guys that usually leak upcoming previews and swag (also said to be even be Hirsch himself)) reconfirming it:

http://themysteryofgravityfalls.tumblr.com/post/119628868879/less-than-two-months-remain#notes

And the other leaker site, GFInfinite (the other half that leaks the other stuff (e.g. they were the ones with the protoype Dipper and Wendy above)) adding their two cents:

http://gravityfallsinfinite.tumblr....es-were-correct-as-you-may-already-know#notes

So, don't be blowing those episodes away just yet...looks like they're actually coming this time.

However, for details, we're probably going to have to wait for either SDCC or a DXD press release for new events that month (this is usually how one could tell how many new premieres are happening with a series for that particular month)

Heck, you think this is cryptic? It's been a year and we haven't heard crap about the console game...

So I watched the first 15 episodes of season 1, it was pretty funny but so far just seems like your typical lesson of the day cartoon with the occasional ominous hint at some sort of lore and your regular sitcom-esque drama. Due to all the comparisons to Adventure Time and Steven universe I'm assuming it starts off slow in terms of lore/drama and then ramps up later on and eventually has a mind blowing episode at some point. Im still watching it because its a good cartoon though.

RetroMG

So I watched the first 15 episodes of season 1, it was pretty funny but so far just seems like your typical lesson of the day cartoon with the occasional ominous hint at some sort of lore and your regular sitcom-esque drama. Due to all the comparisons to Adventure Time and Steven universe I'm assuming it starts off slow in terms of lore/drama and then ramps up later on and eventually has a mind blowing episode at some point. Im still watching it because its a good cartoon though.

Yes, this is correct.

Chariot

It starts like episodic fun with a few mystery parodies and plots here and there. It's not until season 2 when the mystery/horror part in the show really picks up.

Welcome! You gotta it mostly. The best advice is to avoid any/all spoiler/decoding sites until you catch up, 'cause they point out all the tiny little details that you might have missed upon initial viewing, and it ruins half the fun. (GF is LOADED with Easter eggs...)

Also, for some good news, presenting Gravity Falls Town in Disney Infinity 3.0!

Source: http://themysteryofgravityfalls.tum...9/explore-the-town-of-gravity-falls-in-disney

tumblr_nozvv1Elra1sbotlno1_r1_1280.png

tumblr_nozvv1Elra1sbotlno2_r1_1280.png

tumblr_nozvv1Elra1sbotlno4_r1_1280.png

tumblr_nozvv1Elra1sbotlno3_r1_1280.png

No word on GF figures as of yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom