• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was really good.
Only thing I didn't like was how they got rid of the government guys. They kind of just pressed a 'win' button. And even if they got their memories wiped they wouldn't be that stupid. Maybe that's the joke though.

That was the best Gravity Falls episode

Fixed.

It's amazing how much they manage to cram within a half hour timeframe. So many things answered/resolved (obviously there's still many unanswered stuff)

i love all the cameos/appearances by characters and events from previous episodes dating from the beginning

It's gonna be a long wait, but if they do another commercial free GF episode, I don't mind the long wait.

Just wow!

Totally knew Grunkle Stan was gonna get popped in the face at first glance with the brother.
Noted the "Blendin was here" and the initials carved on the boards at the abandoned cave in the beach.
Ford's college days kinda hit home for me ; had a calamity myself and had to forego my first choice/settle for less
Kinda weird that McGucket gets one glimpse of the portal and goes mental, yet Ford lives thirty years and seems to be fine...
I found it neat that Stanley was to Ford as Mabel is to Dipper. Kinda surprised they ignored the choice made earlier, but gave a hint about the future.
All of the cameos (anyone see the red-headed lumberjack wearing a familiar brown trapper hat building the Mystery Shack?)
A downer ending, but the Wendy epilogue made it much better.
That scene NEEDS to be a gif specifically for drunk-thread-GAF.

https://mobile.twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/620428911659192321

Also, thought this was classy, from a guy who says Mario RPG is his GOAT game...

Tuck

Great episode. Though I have to wonder if that bit between Mabel and Dipper at the end hints towards a bittersweet ending for the series. I imagine they'll go somewhere with it.

Really liked the self-aware humour. Soon' line about the backstory needing to live up to his fan fiction was fantastic.

PensOwl

Banned
Great episode. Though I have to wonder if that bit between Mabel and Dipper at the end hints towards a bittersweet ending for the series. I imagine they'll go somewhere with it.

Really liked the self-aware humour. Soon' line about the backstory needing to live up to his fan fiction was fantastic.

It's been building for a while. In the end, the show is really about Dipper and Mabel's relationship so expect the possibility of a rift between the twins

I think the show will end on a happy note though

PK Gaming

3111801037_1_31_rn8EVfDz.gif

That was the greatest. Not even the greatest episode, just... greatest.

Ambitious and resonant. I mean Jesus Christ if you have a brother your own age this episode hits hard.

That episode reminded me of the Beginnings episodes in Korra, probably the best and super convenient to all the questions most fans have... also,
another brother though slightly younder

Sad to see that it's gonna be more serialized than before but it's probably for the better, all good things must come to an end.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
https://41.media.tumblr.com/167e67816a81a91b848eac2bf834515b/tumblr_nr6y71t7dN1qjdpcho1_540.jpg[/IM]
[URL="http://arythusa.tumblr.com/post/123587343782/its-coming-this-monday-july-13th-a-tale-of"]Sabrina Cotugno[/URL][/QUOTE]
July 13th. It's... the 14th.
[quote="TheGreatLugia, post: 171432953"][URL="https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/619232861309132800"]Two new episodes in August. One on the 3rd and the other on the 24th.[/URL][/QUOTE]
This is good to know.

I could have gone forever without knowing this. Wanna put next episode air dates in the OT for us less tuned in? All it takes is a mod PM =]

Great episode. It's been so long that I forgot how amazing the animation was in this show. Of course, now it'll be another month or so before the next episode *shrug*.

I was surprised that they went into so much detail about the Stans's background. I admit, I was getting a bit bored during the high school years, especially when we were getting drama and little comedy, but it was all good besides that. Their parents were interesting, though surprisingly little was done with the mother. It was great seeing all of the Gravity Falls cameos, including the store owners that were killed by rap music. It was kind of odd how Dipper and Mabel's actual grandfather was almost an afterthought, but at least they acknowledged his existence. That said, I'm surprised we learned nothing at all about what Ford saw on the other side. But hey, he's sticking around, so I'm sure we'll learn more soon.

It was kind of cheap how the government guys were handled, but whatever.

The ending scene with Mabel was pretty sad. At least Soos trying to explain things to Wendy made for a nice lighter moment.

July 13th. It's... the 14th.

This is good to know.

I could have gone forever without knowing this. Wanna put next episode air dates in the OT for us less tuned in? All it takes is a mod PM =]

If any mod is interested, let me know and I'll double down on securing the correct dates on the first page ASAP! It's my bad; been caught up in a lot of crap lately...

Sorry you missed the episode; if it helps...

Tuesday: (all times central)
10a, 8:15p, 11:15p,

Wednesday:
8:30p,

Friday:
10a, 11:30p,

Saturday:
11a,

Sunday:
1p, 7p,

Monday:
10a

So, yeah, the nice thing about Disney XD is that they pimp the crap out of the new episodes....

Hamlet

Fantastic episode and it sure went by fast for an extended one.
Watching Stanford and Stanley drift apart from each was pretty heartbreaking to watch and not to mention the downer ending between the two of them. Same with Mabel getting worried about her future friendship with Dipper. Good thing Soos gave us one of the funniest tags so far to alleviate it haha. Also loved this meta line from Soos "I'm hoping all this all aligns exactly with my fanfic Stan. If not I will be very disappointed."

Nightbird

Just watched it.
It was amazing. I loved every bit of that Episode. Gonna watch it again later!

Also that ending with Wendy had me rolling

PaulloDEC

nT0b.gif

I enjoyed the episode, though I have a sneaking suspicion I'd have enjoyed it even more without the ludicrous gap between it and the episode prior. I might do a S2 rewatch before I watch it again to get myself back in the Gravity Falls groove.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
What a great ep. Frickin long wait though. Jeebus.

nT0b.gif

I enjoyed the episode, though I have a sneaking suspicion I'd have enjoyed it even more without the ludicrous gap between it and the episode prior. I might do a S2 rewatch before I watch it again to get myself back in the Gravity Falls groove.

This bit had me giggling way too much lol

UberTag

Yeah that was a negative of the episode for me, why make 6 fingers a plot point if Pines twins do the "four cartoon fingers" thing?
We're supposed to look at the characters with four fingers and assume they have 5 and they've only been drawn with 4 because it's aesthetically pleasing.

Whereas Stanford Pines has 6 fingers and that's uniquely his own thing.

And yeah, this is a big leap of logic that would have been otherwise avoided had they simply been consistent with the finger count to begin with but Hirsch kind of boxed himself into a corner here.

Sou Da

We're supposed to look at the characters with four fingers and assume they have 5 and they've only been drawn with 4 because it's aesthetically pleasing.

Whereas Stanford Pines has 6 fingers and that's uniquely his own thing.

And yeah, this is a big leap of logic that would have been otherwise avoided had they simply been consistent with the finger count to begin with but Hirsch kind of boxed himself into a corner here.
Given your avatar I gotta point this out. Have you noticed how similar the comedy feels to Golden age simpsons?

UberTag

Given your avatar I gotta point this out. Have you noticed how similar the comedy feels to Golden age simpsons?
Unquestionably. I'd say that's a big reason why Gravity Falls boasts such crossover appeal with the fan demographic that was raised on classic era Simpsons. Both shows are driven by their strong characterizations and how they play off each other... or, at least, the Simpsons was in its prime. Gravity Falls just does a better job of layering on top of that foundation with lore and a cohesive narrative.

Couple that with the sibling relationship at the core (albeit Dipper-Mabel have a much different dynamic than Bart-Lisa do) and that one could objectively argue that both series take place in Oregon (Springfield was based off Portland where Groening grew up) and it's hard not to draw parallels.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think there's one thing that everyone overlooked.
The Stans have a third brother! Shermy, and he's Dipper & Mabel's grandfather.
Now we just need the parents.

Tuck

Grandfather? I thought he was their dad.

The two Stan's are old, but not that old.

Squalor

There's going to need to be some serious retconning to make up for that fact, too.

When Stan gets kicked out, his mother is holding a baby. If that's Shermy, chronology is getting a little tight to go from that point in the sixties to growing up and having a whole generation between then and Dipper and Mabel.

Unless Shermy was an older sibling and the baby is Dipper and Mabel's dad, some of this doesn't make much sense.

Still, there's verbiage used by Stan and Ford about only having each other. They leaned on that pretty heavily, which wouldn't make much sense if there were another sibling around older or younger. Shermy would have to be much, much older if he wasn't around during Stan and Ford's childhood.
Grandfather? I thought he was their dad.

The two Stan's are old, but not that old.
You already saw his past. How would he have had time to have kids? Ford has been gone for almost thirty years. The second Pines twins are only twelve. The show has implied pretty heavily that Stan never had kids, and it makes sense that Ford never did either.

Tuck

Stan tells Ford that Dipper and Mabel are Shermie's grandkids.

Yeah you're right. I thought he said kids. Tbh I'm not sure why he didn't say kids - the math would be much less tight and iffy, I think. Unless Shermie is much older, as the post above me says.

UberTag

Gravity Falls also has (at least) one writer from the classic Simpsons era - Josh Weinstein - and it shows.
Clearly he made a favorable impression on Alex with his script for The Love God as he's made a point of utilizing Josh for the last two mythology episodes as well.

Yeah you're right. I thought he said kids. Tbh I'm not sure why he didn't say kids - the math would be much less tight and iffy, I think. Unless Shermie is much older, as the post above me says.
They also wouldn't be "great uncles" if they were Shermy's children. They'd only be uncles. You sort of need the 'gr' from great to make the Grunkle Stan name work.
Does that mean Grunkle Stan is 15-16 years older than the grandfather of 12-year old twins? Yes, yes it does. Dude's in his 60s.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Let's try to sort the timeline.
The entire series takes place in 2012 so we'll use that as a jumping off point.

Early 1960's: Stanley and Stanford were at least 7 or 8 (they looked younger than Dipper and Mabel)
1972: Stanley accidentally sabotages Stanford's chances of getting into an Ivy League school and gets kicked out of the house. The two brothers don't speak to each other for 10 years.
1982: The two reunite, but end up having a fight which leads to Stanford getting trapped in another dimension. Stanley takes his name in order to gain money to try and get him back.
2000: Dipper & Mabel are born.

If we assume the baby shown in 1972 was Shermy, that gives 28 years for him to have children, and for those children to have their own. ... The math doesn't really add up. So it's likely Shermy is an older brother.

Squalor

Does that mean Grunkle Stan is 15-16 years older than the grandfather of 12-year old twins? Yes, yes it does. Dude's in his 60s.
I think you have it backward.

Shermy is likely the older sibling. The chronology doesn't add up if he's the baby in 1972.

It's also pretty obvious that Stan and Ford are meant to be about Dipper and Mabel's age when we first see them.

Order

I just rewatched the flashback during Dreamscapers. It's weird knowing that Stan used his brother's story to inspire Dipper.

It's clearly Ford in the flashback because we know Stan was tough at a young age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom