• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

Thought it was okay. Nice to have a change to a less serious pace after those last two dramatic episodes. Didn't really like it when the
infinite dice spawned the d&d creatures to life
, felt it was a little too cheesy for my tastes.

Agreed. It felt a bit... out of place? I think the previous gamer episode was done better.

That said, this episode was still very funny. Mabel at the beginning "Why isn't he quacking?" and the OoT Navi reference were great. Oh and that meta joke about the twin brother being a lame twist in ducktective. And we did get that ending bit hinting at things to come.

Probably the weakest episode of the season on a conceptual level, but I still enjoyed it.

Yeah, the episode got much worse once the DDnD characters came to life. Not only was it a played out concept, but it felt like a retread of earlier episodes like the first Bill story and the pinball machine story. Before that, though, the episode was pretty good; I liked seeing Dipper and Ford get along. That boy really needs friends around his age, though.

I liked the self-referential Duck-tective jokes.

Lijik

I didnt mind the
DND characters coming to life
, but I felt like they didnt give themselves the time to really make the concept work.
Having to come right out and explain why Mabel and Grunkle Stan can have a good time with the game and it instantly clicking because theres only two minutes left felt really hamfisted compared to something like the DND episode of Community which handled the "People who dont like DND warm up to it" thing a lot better

ducktective jokes were A+

I dunno.

This was like as if Deadpool was hired to direct an episode; there were so many fourth wall breaks that it was almost nonsensical. It seemed to piggyback a lot off the ending of the last episode; yeah, we all can guess that
the two Stans are going to treat each other like shit for the long run, and sooner or later, it will trickle down to Dipper and Mabel eventually.
. At the same time, we finally did receive undeniable, canon based proof that
Mabel treats Dipper like shit...a lot

latest

A lot of folks quote this image, saying that Mabel worries if something will happen between the younger Pines twins that will sever their relationship, and yet, I can say, what if she's reflecting on all she has already done?

DD&MD also touched a personal nerve with me. My younger brother has time and time again, tried to explain D&D and MTG to me,,only for it to go over my head.
Dipper's explanation to Mabel about the game(and watching her face fall) brought back the memories for me

Anyhoo, lots of goodies to be noted:

Anyone see Soos's note about getting stuck before Dipper fell into the basement?
Ford's squid monster was definitely giving me Half-Life vibes...
3. While GF-GAF bitches about Dipper finding a friend his age, it's nice to see where his intelligence/personality comes from...
After everyone rebukes him, I wondered why Dip didn't ask Wendy, but after he geeks out a bit further, I'd say, good call, kid...
I can already picture Mabel eating that "tear in the bottle..."
6. Speaking of, anyone else can
see "everyone ignoring Dipper when he goes to ask a supernatural question" coming back to bite everyone in the ass a la "Lemony Snickett." I hope that and the constantly fighting Stans don't become the new recurring themes for the rest of the season...

Overall, I dug the fact that this episode wasn't afraid to take pot shots at itself, but nerd culture as a whole
(Ducktective, the Navi fairy, Ford poking fun at Stan watching kids shows)
. This alone makes it better than "Golf War" or "Love God" IMHO. Definitely not GFs finest hour, but far from its worse...

where

is

wendy

6843642283_9be6141119.jpg

Hamlet

Fun episode.
Quite liked all the meta jokes throughout the episode. Especially the Ducktective twist haha. Also loved how Grenda used the sofa to knock out the goblin guard.
Sad to see more of a rift starting to form between Dipper and Mabel, though not that unexpected considering the recent episodes. Wonder how far the show will take it.
Ford and Dipper bonding was nice also. No Wendy though :(
Community's D&D still reigns supreme as the best D&D focused episode.

KHlover

Banned
Where's Wendy? Probably in hospital like any other citizen of Gravity Falls who didn't have the luxery of being in an underground basement when the biggest gravity anomaly hit during the finale of NHWS. We haven't seen the rest of the town since that incident at all, have we? (Disregard this if we have in DDnD, couldnt catch up yet since I'm at work :( )

EDIT: lol for some reason I forgot the credits scene of AToTS. Still...

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE WENDY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

The hidden message of this episode's end screen is FUN AND GAMES ARE GREAT DISTRACTIONS, BUT SMALL THINGS CAN HAVE CHAIN REACTIONS. Now, the die coming back is an obvious choice, but what if the small thing is Mabel writing to their parents about Ford? After all, you'd think their father would care a lot that one of his brothers isn't dead, and it's not the brother he thinks.

Veelk

Banned
So, I always thought that Dipper and Mable having 4 fingers instead of the full hand of 5 was insignificant, but ever seen Stanford having 6 became significant, I was wondering if it meant something. Grenda has 5 fingers. I don't have access to my other episodes at this time, but did anyone ever comment on Dipper and Mable's hands?

Edit: Lazy Susan has 4 as well...but the mayor dude and the random worker have 5. Maybe it's just random then...

UberTag

So, I always thought that Dipper and Mable having 4 fingers instead of the full hand of 5 was insignificant, but ever seen Stanford having 6 became significant, I was wondering if it meant something. Grenda has 5 fingers. I don't have access to my other episodes at this time, but did anyone ever comment on Dipper and Mable's hands?

Edit: Lazy Susan has 4 as well...but the mayor dude and the random worker have 5. Maybe it's just random then...
It's random.
It shouldn't be random because Ford having 6 fingers is relevant. But it's random.

PSqueak

Banned

Staff adressed this on twitter, wider characters like Grenda have 5 fingers because it looks better design wise, while smaller characters like Dipper and Mable have 4 for the same reason, basically they give the number of fingers to a character on a design basis, sorry to burst that bubble.

It does make it weird that they decided to give Ford 6 fingers and make it sort of a plot point, because it only drew attention to this inconsistency.

KiN0

The hidden message of this episode's end screen is FUN AND GAMES ARE GREAT DISTRACTIONS, BUT SMALL THINGS CAN HAVE CHAIN REACTIONS. Now, the die coming back is an obvious choice, but what if the small thing is Mabel writing to their parents about Ford? After all, you'd think their father would care a lot that one of his brothers isn't dead, and it's not the brother he thinks.

Do we know if Stan and Ford have a brother or a sister?

Do we know if Stan and Ford have a brother or a sister?

Definitely a brother. First of all, Dipper, Mabel, Stan, and Ford all have the last name "Pines", which usually means the former two are connected via their father to the latter two. Plus, Stan tells Ford that Dipper and Mabel are Shermie's grandkids.

KiN0

Definitely a brother. First of all, Dipper, Mabel, Stan, and Ford all have the last name "Pines", which usually means the former two are connected via their father to the latter two. Plus, Stan tells Ford that Dipper and Mabel are Shermie's grandkids.

Thanks. I didn't realize Shermie was a boy's name.

ahahahahahaha

the commentary on the show is great

"well at least I'm not all excited to watch a kid's show"

"I'll have you know that ducktective has an element of mystery, and a lot of jokes that go over kids' heads!"

aett

I was watching "Dreamscaperers" with my son just now and just after they enter Stan's mind, the camera pans by a now-familiar-looking swing set:

GzdWco2.jpg

Of course, a quick Google search shows that I'm not the first person to notice this, but what a cool bit of foreshadowing.

Sou Da

I was watching "Dreamscaperers" with my son just now and just after they enter Stan's mind, the camera pans by a now-familiar-looking swing set:

GzdWco2.jpg

Of course, a quick Google search shows that I'm not the first person to notice this, but what a cool bit of foreshadowing.

There was a lot more Ford in that episode than that.

Damn, I should go back and rewatch the series. Just got a bunch of iTunes credit to buy the recent episodes.

Anyways, any word on any kind of official music releases? I find myself watching the recent S2 trailer just for the really cool remix of the opening.

Hamlet

Damn, I should go back and rewatch the series. Just got a bunch of iTunes credit to buy the recent episodes.

Anyways, any word on any kind of official music releases? I find myself watching the recent S2 trailer just for the really cool remix of the opening.

No words on an official soundtrack release. Though Brad Breeck the GF composer did put up a bunch of season 1 music on his soundcloud.
So hopefully he does the same for season 2 at some point like he promised ages ago heh.
Gravity Falls Season 1 - Soundtrack Excerpts Vol1
Gravity Falls Season 1 - Soundtrack Excerpts Vol2
Gravity Falls Season 1 - Soundtrack Excerpts Vol3

Great Uncles would be their grandfather's brothers.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

GzdWco2.jpg

Kinda looks like a place from Limbo.

Does anyone not really like Stan's voice actor? Doesn't quite fit in with everyone else, I feel.

linkboy

Now, check this out:

tumblr_inline_nszj56b90E1rfnywh_500.png

This listing has been floating about the net today, taken from zap2it.net, which was pretty trustworthy concerning season 1 leaks.

TWO NEW GF shows on the SAME day?!

CJCtC2YUsAAvpFU.jpg

That's not possible, I refuse to believe it.

Oh no, what if we've crossed into the portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom