• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

I don't see how having weekly episodes is a detriment to you.

I do see how ridiculously spaced episodes is a detriment to everyone else, though.
Main problem with having the episodes so spaced apart is that Season 2 is struggling significantly in the ratings department compared with Season 1.

Hamlet

Main problem with having the episodes so spaced apart is that Season 2 is struggling significantly in the ratings department compared with Season 1.

It's actually doing fantastic though in the ratings department. It's only down because it premieres on Disney XD which has a much smaller audience than the main Disney channel.
"Not What He Seems" broke records for Disney XD.
At Disney XD, Monday’s cliffhanger episode of “Gravity Falls” became the network’s most-watched series telecast ever by drawing 2.06 million viewers in Live+3. It’s also the net’s No. 1 animated series telecast to date in kids 2-11 (1.02 million), kids 6-11 (824,000), kids 6-14 (1.15 million) and boys 6-14 (655,000). In total viewers and these key kids demos, it grew by more than 30% from its same-night averages.
Variety

Yesterdays episode got 1,911 Million viewers and a 0.4 in the demo rating which is fantastic for Disney XD. For comparison Star Wars Rebels and Star vs. the Forces of Evil usually average below a million viewers for new episodes.

tumblr_nrhdh86E9q1rdlfnuo1_500.png
tumblr_nrhdh86E9q1rdlfnuo2_500.png
tumblr_nrhdh86E9q1rdlfnuo3_500.png
tumblr_nrhdh86E9q1rdlfnuo4_500.png
tumblr_nrhdh86E9q1rdlfnuo5_500.png
tumblr_nrhdh86E9q1rdlfnuo6_500.png
tumblr_nrhdh86E9q1rdlfnuo7_500.png

God dammit moringmark ;-;

Wait. What is this? Is this official?

NotLiquid

Kinda weird that McGucket gets one glimpse of the portal and goes mental, yet Ford lives thirty years and seems to be fine...

I think it might have to do with McGucket having less exposure to the weird phenomena. He was only called in to build the portal while Ford spent the better number of years researching Gravity Falls and at some point even seemingly having a run-in with Bill Cypher. That and thirty years inside the portal has probably desensitized him to the cosmic horrors.

gurudyne

Trying to see who can devise the most hyper-maudlin scenarios based on kid-targeted TV shows is one of the things I hate about Tumblr the most

I agree in principle, but if it's well grounded, it's fine.
Faking your death and taking on the identity of your twin brother is some heavy stuff. Fallout like the comic works on some levels.
Hell, as far as these things go, it's pretty restrained.

It's stuff like "Angelica from Rugrats hallucinated the other babies and all the (non)parents are dealing with the grief from their respective miscarriages, infants' deaths and abortions when she's around" or "Helga Pataki from Hey Arnold was sexually abused later in life by Big Bob after Miriam committed suicide" or "Ahh! Real Monsters! characters are the restless ghosts of a serial killer's child victims" that makes me roll my eyes.

nT0b.gif

I enjoyed the episode, though I have a sneaking suspicion I'd have enjoyed it even more without the ludicrous gap between it and the episode prior. I might do a S2 rewatch before I watch it again to get myself back in the Gravity Falls groove.

Glad to see you did the gif! Can't wait to see it in a drunk thread hopefully. If you dont mind me asking, how did you crop the image?

The Wendy bit was funny, but also kind of annoying. She should have been there with them.

100% right, but at this point, I consider us lucky that she was there period, as terrible as it sounds...sigh

YOU GUYS AND GALS
STAN'S TATTOO!

Yeah; was surprised dIsney let them show that happening...(I think someone on 4chan/reddit called it earlier)

Wait. What is this? Is this official?

Man, glad I wasn't the only one that ever thought so. GF-GAF is how I stumbled onto Mark's works in the first place. Although I liked this one of his a bit more:

tumblr_nrgjrdw7HT1rdlfnuo1_500.png

tumblr_nrgjrdw7HT1rdlfnuo2_500.png

I agree in principle, but if it's well grounded, it's fine.
Faking your death and taking on the identity of your twin brother is some heavy stuff. Fallout like the comic works on some levels.
Hell, as far as these things go, it's pretty restrained.

It's stuff like "Angelica from Rugrats hallucinated the other babies and all the (non)parents are dealing with the grief from their respective miscarriages, infants' deaths and abortions when she's around" or "Helga Pataki from Hey Arnold was sexually abused later in life by Big Bob after Miriam committed suicide" or "Ahh! Real Monsters! characters are the restless ghosts of a serial killer's child victims" that makes me roll my eyes.

Ugh! I hate that kinda shit! Makes me think of the game theorists stuff (like Dr. Light is the ultimate villain of the Megaman series, etc.; though they totally called Mario and Paper Mario being two different entities...)

Still, I think Moringmark adds layers to an already established fact or idea, rather than go batshit fanfic crazy (like Soos) and pulled theories out of their ass.

July 13th. It's... the 14th.

This is good to know.

I could have gone forever without knowing this. Wanna put next episode air dates in the OT for us less tuned in? All it takes is a mod PM =]

Lastly, didn't mean to double quote, but I finally got off my lazy ass and updated the OT with the new episodes. Synopsis for both will be added ASAP. Guys, if you ever see something fucked up in the OT, please feel free to send me a quick PM to go fix it. I'm on GAF almost every day...

UberTag

It's actually doing fantastic though in the ratings department. It's only down because it premieres on Disney XD which has a much smaller audience than the main Disney channel.
"Not What He Seems" broke records for Disney XD.

Variety

Yesterdays episode got 1,911 Million viewers and a 0.4 in the demo rating which is fantastic for Disney XD. For comparison Star Wars Rebels and Star vs. the Forces of Evil usually average below a million viewers for new episodes.
Breaking records for Disney XD is still far below the numbers it used to do for premieres on Disney Channel.
Granted, the cable penetration of XD is below what Disney Channel has so I'm sure they're happy regardless.

Hamlet

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/26402/gravity-falls-alex-hirsch-season-2-all-will-be-revealed/

New interview states Weird Al will be in next episode!
and who the hell is Chelsea Peretti?
She's great in Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Weird Al as
lunatic Wizard
sound like a ton of fun.

Breaking records for Disney XD is still far below the numbers it used to do for premieres on Disney Channel.
Granted, the cable penetration of XD is below what Disney Channel has so I'm sure they're happy regardless.
Yeah it's holding up remarkably well since the move to Disney XD, so they should be pretty happy. Though I do wonder how high the ratings would be now if it was still premiering on Disney and not Disney XD.

Just watched it about an hour ago. The latest episode that is and man it was worth the wait. My Stan isn't the real Stan but that's okay. It makes for an interesting dynamic.

PaulloDEC

Glad to see you did the gif! Can't wait to see it in a drunk thread hopefully. If you dont mind me asking, how did you crop the image?

No probs! Wasn't sure if I should include the facepalm at the end, but I figured an endless loop might be more fun.

As to your question, I do all my video editing in Adobe After Effects and then drop the edited clips into Animation Shop to actually produce the final GIF.

Hamlet

Gravity Falls - Dungeons, Dungeons, and More Dungeons Teaser
"Fireball"
Looks like this is the episode that accidentally got aired early in the UK.

Deadline - ‘Gravity Falls’ Climbs To Disney XD Record Highs In Live+3
Disney XD’s Gravity Falls midseason debut has clocked that network’s biggest audience to date for a regular series telecast, in Live+3 ratings. The episode that premiered last Monday averaged 2.32 million viewers. It also logged a network best among kids 2-11 (1.04 million/2.6 rating), boys 2-11 (686,000/3.4).

Overall, Gravity Falls now accounts for Disney XD’s Top 7 regular animated series telecasts of all time in kids 6-11, the Top 4 in boys 6-11 and Top 5 in kids 2-11.

Gravity Falls ranked as the No. 1 program in its Monday 8:30 PM time period in all of television, across all kids and boys 2-11, 6-11 and 6-14 demographics. It was cable TV’s No. 1 scripted telecast in total viewers.

So the devs of Disney Infinity are holding a poll for potential upcoming characters, and Mabel is in it.

I'd tell you to vote for her, but it appears that 4chan has that covered.

About time they do something positive, but those numbers man...

tumblr_inline_nbebb9vQ8D1r8l6sh.gif

(Expects a SSJ3 Mabel gif if she wins it)

Still, nice selection of characters. Shoulda been like this in the first place instead of all the Star Wars stuffs (and Inside Out)

KHlover

Banned
Real talk: I'd buy that figure even though I have zero interest in Disney Infinity, just to support Gravity Falls. WHERE ARE THOSE BLU-RAYS, Disney??

KHlover

Banned
GF blurays would be godlike. They used to put out super uncompressed versions of the episodes through streaming during S1.

So cleannn

Deadalic Point and Klick adventure game set in the GF universe. I need it right now o_O

goodbyedeponia_screenshot008.jpg

92462336-vollbild.png

goodbye-deponia-screenshot-ME3050191236_2.jpg

Those 1080p Gravity Falls screenshots reminded me of the truth that such a cooperation has to happen. Daedalic would fucking NAIL Gravity Falls o_O

Chariot

I don't really like daedelic. Their crude humour wouldn't fit Gravity Falls either. They could nail the look though. But so could other, better companies. Daedelic can't be the only Point and Click company left.

KHlover

Banned
I don't really like daedelic. Their crude humour wouldn't fit Gravity Falls either. They could nail the look though. But so could other, better companies. Daedelic can't be the only Point and Click company left.

I honestly wouldn't be able to name any Point and Click adventure studio from the last 3-4 years besides Daedalic and Telltale. Between those two Deadalic would win every time for me. And while true that their humor was pretty crude in their games so far I'm sure some writing input from Disney could help. Otherwise their games are pretty good imo, which is reflected in the ratings. Realistically the bigger problem is that probably neither Disney nor Daedalus are actually interested lol

Deadalic Point and Klick adventure game set in the GF universe. I need it right now o_O

[MG]http://deponia.de/wp-content/gallery/screenshots/goodbyedeponia_screenshot008.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://static7.fore.4pcdn.de/premium/Screenshots/e1/70/92462336-vollbild.png[/IMG]

[IG]http://cdn-static.gamekult.com/gamekult-com/images/photos/30/50/19/12/goodbye-deponia-screenshot-ME3050191236_2.jpg[/IMG]

Those 1080p Gravity Falls screenshots reminded me of the truth that such a cooperation has to happen. Daedalic would fucking NAIL Gravity Falls o_O

Just keep them away from the writing. That fucking ending was horrible.

Because that's what Disney ( & Nickelodeon) do.

The reason why they do this, I suspect, is because they cater to kids, who will watch their shows, even if they're repeats. Plus they make more money from merchandise sales.

To be fair, it does also appear to be the case that this show takes an especially long time to make and they fall behind schedule often; I remember this being brought up in an interview, but I have no sources to cite.

KHlover

Banned
To be fair, it does also appear to be the case that this show takes an especially long time to make and they fall behind schedule often; I remember this being brought up in an interview, but I have no sources to cite.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gravityfalls/comments/31u5yj/seems_like_s2_just_finished_production/

Well here Alex states that production for season 2 is finished, that was some time ago and we still have 10 episodes, I think? That was relatively early in the hiatus, so production problems are very likely not the reason for the airing schedule. If you look at the new records in viewership on Disney XD each new GF episode sets I think you have your answer. Disney ran the numbers and determined the current schedule maximises viewership.

As much as I love Gravity Falls, I'd much rather have Darkwing Duck in. He was actually leading the polls at first. :(

I'd also rather have a Gravity Falls play set than a stand alone Mabel figure.

ChrisD

Literally just saw the commercial on TV as I read the post hah.

Already getting Ford in as a fully-fledged character is great!

Wait, no ones seen the episode yet?
just watched it on directv

Good episode
especially the fourth wall plot twist joke

Thought it was okay. Nice to have a change to a less serious pace after those last two dramatic episodes. Didn't really like it when the
infinite dice spawned the d&d creatures to life
, felt it was a little too cheesy for my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom