• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, VB is the only show that can go toe to toe quality wise with GF, so I wasn't surprised...

Anyways, new snyposis get:

The Last Mabelcorn - September 7th - 8:30 PM ET
A new threat leads Mabel to venture into the enchanted realm of the unicorns. Meanwhile, Dipper learns an unexpected twist about the enigmatic Bill Cipher.

Roadside Attraction - September 21 - 8:00 PM ET
Grunkle Stan takes the kids with him on a road-trip to sabotage all the other tourist traps in Oregon.
*Chelsea Peretti (“Brooklyn Nine-Nine”) guest stars as Darlene.

I didn't expect for the present-day of the series to spend much time outside of Gravity Falls, let alone an entire episode. For the former episode, for some reason I'm expecting the unicorns to be presented in an Apple.MOV and/or Charlie the Unicorn fashion.

JCreasy

Did they do a send up of The Last Unicorn? Holy SHIT!

It's so surreal for me as an adult now to find out other people know about this cartoon. When I was a little kid, I felt like was the only person in the world who knew about it.

Here's a little prelude for tonight's episode. I guess a few days ago, Hirsch did a panel at the Amazing Houston Comic Con:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvYT4gQW2yw

Such interesting tidbits:

Wow at his response to "the baby".
Kinda figured about the McGucket and Lee thing.
Thought the gum thing was funny with the twins...
while the deleted Wendy/Stan caper is SUCH a fucking missed opportunity...
Last, but not least, anyone notice that he said, "If we decide to make more episodes..."

Silkworm

Wonder who Bill will use to attack the Pines now. Figured Gideon but I guess he can use practically anyone outside of the Mystery Shack. Was nice to see Wendy show up again and get some decent face time :)

edit: Also should have known never trust a unicorn ;-)

Silkworm

What happened in the post credits scene? My DVR cut it off half way.

Post credits was
Dipper and Ford finishing setting up the protection on the Mystery Shack and then Bill watching and claiming that if he can't possess anyone outside the shack then he'd just have to possess some one on the "OUTSIDE" *creepy voice*, while showing a montage of numerous Gravity Falls residents.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh fuck I forgot there was a new one. *checks Disney XD listings* Repeats in 3 hours.

Nah she's put out.
: ^)

Hey the show acknowledged Mabel treats Dipper terribly again.

Yeah, right! Like she put out for Robbie! ;P

I'm telling you guys, they keep replaying messages over and over. The one being that Mabel does treat Dipper like shit...

Wonder who Bill will use to attack the Pines now. Figured Gideon but I guess he can use practically anyone out side the Mystery Shack. Was nice to see Wendy show up again and get some face time :)

...and the other repeating the last few weeks was about Dipper's crush.
(No Pacifica in his thoughts, HAHA!
) And you guys have to ask who Bill is going to be gunning for?

But enough theorizing:

That pugs continuity from the last episode.
Still can't figure out why Wendy was walking about in her pjs. Also, may be weird but did anyone else think that the unicorn was gonna swipe their shoes? (Especially after Wendy's hesitation...)
Speaking of her, THIS is why we need more Wendy-based episodes. The girl doesn't take no shit from anyone! Candy, either (BMO!!!)
Surprised at no Lisa Frank references?
Stop doing stupid shit, Dipper!!!!
This may be a minor detail, but Fords memory gun was a different color (red instead of blue, right?). Wonder if it had a different effect.
Dat fucking gnome setup...
And getting major Splatterhouse vibes from Bill and his master plan (it's pretty much the same as the Terror Mask's)
The whole fight with the unicorn (the blood) and the ending with the girls being victorious was perfect! So, I guess this means Wendy has met Ford in some form...

Overall, great episode! One of Hirschs best!

Sou Da

Some of Ford's thoughts

Cranpelter! Cranpelter! Cranpelter! Cranpelter! Cranpelter!
I'm so sorry Fiddleford. I'm so sorry Fiddleford. I'm so sorry Fiddleford.
I miss Dimension 50. I miss Dimension 50. I miss Dimension 50.
He's too young he's not ready (or something like that)

Fantastic episode. Making the Unicorns be assholes was really fun especially with them getting beat up. It's also cool knowing that there is a even more secret room in the Mystery Shack. I'm really liking how there are these subtle splits between Dipper and Mable nowadays: Dipper's story being about the mind while Mabel's is about the heart. I still don't fully trust Ford even if he isn't being possessed although I do wonder who Bill is gonna take control of now.

Psxphile

inI4Igi.png
Geez, Pine Tree.

Geez, Pine Tree.

The whole list via tumblr...

Dipper’s thoughts:
-Oh man, I can’t believe I’m with the author!
-Gosh, I hope no one was looking!
-IS MY FLY DOWN?
-Maybe if I cross my legs, no one will notice!
-Kinda kinda hungry, but I could also not eat.
-DISCO GIRL!
-I should really try out the president’s key some time.
-I could probably rob a bank.
-COMING THROUGH!
-I miss Tyrone!
-That red bathing suit, man!
-WENDY! WENDY! WENDY! WENDY! WENDY!

tumblr_nuc3pd1V6Q1rz6w0do1_500.gif

tumblr_nuc3pd1V6Q1rz6w0do2_500.gif

tumblr_nuc3pd1V6Q1rz6w0do3_500.gif

Totally missed that bathing suit one the first time...

Now this was an episode. Both Dipper and Mabel's stories were great on their own, but I don't think they mixed together very well. When things started going crazy in Dipper's story, I did at first think that Bill was acting through Ford, but then realized that didn't make any sense, and then wondered if Bill was making Dipper hallucinate, which I was already thinking with the way the mind encrypting machine made that suggestion to Dipper. In Mabel's story, I was expecting that one of her companions, like Candy, to be pure of heart. The entire fairy dust deal was amazing, especially with the gnome cop getting his cut. The unicorn's name starting with "Celest" and especially her cutie mark were likely references to My Little Pony, though I'm disappointed that there weren't any specific jokes about that franchise's oddities like Heavenly Nostrils / Phoebe and Her Unicorn sometimes does. There weren't even any The Last Unicorn references besides the title, and I suppose the unicorn saying she was the last of her kind.

Also, good to see from Dipper's thoughts that they do remember that the President's Key exists.

By the way, not only do Candy and Grenda know about Ford, but now they also seem to know about Bill. Why haven't they reacted to the new uncle out of nowhere and the fact that they need protection from a dream demon? Plus, why does Ford not care that they know about him?

Psxphile

By the way, not only do Candy and Grenda know about Ford, but now they also seem to know about Bill. Why haven't they reacted to the new uncle out of nowhere and the fact that they need protection from a dream demon? Plus, why does Ford not care that they know about him?

Feels like the show is headed for a collision course with a Cosmic Deadline. Maybe the rumours of a planned 3 season arc being cut down to 2 are true.

EDIT: Almost there.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Watched the new episode. Really great. Both plots worked well, and we got more lore-building with Ford and Bill's relationship.

The finale is going to be the nightmare world breaking into the real world isn't it?

PaulloDEC

I've got nothing to say that others haven't already covered, but yeah. Best episode in a while, and it's not like this season hasn't delivered some great stuff.

PSqueak

Banned
[image]

Geez, Pine Tree.

"I miss Tyrone!"

Dear goodness, that's pretty messed up.

Solid episode, the unicorn was hilarious, the voice killed me.

Celestabelle had Rarity's cutie mark, Alex continues to know who best pony is.

My fave gag was crooked Gnome cop, that shit was hilarious.

Psxphile

I liked that Dipper acknowledged the nickname Bill has for him. I'm just wondering if its going to factor into the plot (pine tree, shooting star, question mark, etc. being representations of the people prophesied to help or hinder Bill) or just remain an Easter egg for subtext hunters.

Tuck

Man, I thought they were gonna go all the way with the
Stan is evil reveal
, kinda wish they did. Intense moment.

Great episode overall.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So, wait. About the newest episode and the next episode preview.

They just made the shack a safe-haven from Bill, and literally the first thing they do after this... Is go on a road trip?

Idon'tthinkthisisagoodidea

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The motor home also a metal plate to repel Bill.

I hadn't noticed that, but it probably still isn't the best idea. XD; Ah well, setting up the plot I know. Especially with the scene in the trailer, "Is everyone inside?", "Probably!", as if they're going to leave someone behind accidentally. But be fun to see play out~

NEO0MJ

This was such a great episode. I loved how
Celestebella or whatever was actually a dude in the end. or at least I think so based on what the other unicorns said.

PSqueak

Banned
This was such a great episode. I loved how
Celestebella or whatever was actually a dude in the end. or at least I think so based on what the other unicorns said.

I thought it was a bit hazy, they say something like "come on man", but it's hard to tell if they're reffering to celestabelle as a male or just like "aw man!" and such, Celestabelle's hilarious voice could be that its supposed to be a guy unicorn faking a girl voice or just joking about such a magestic creature having a dumb voice.

NEO0MJ

I thought it was a bit hazy, they say something like "come on man", but it's hard to tell if they're reffering to celestabelle as a male or just like "aw man!" and such, Celestabelle's hilarious voice could be that its supposed to be a guy unicorn faking a girl voice or just joking about such a magestic creature having a dumb voice.

They also refer to Celestabelle as dude. But yeah, either explanation works. I loved the expressions Celestabelle pulls whenever she/he neighs, it always slays me.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Am I seriously the only one mentioning that purple unicorn princess plushie's voice at the beginning sound suspiciously like Tara Strong's Twilight voice? Lots of references in this episode.

PSqueak

Banned
Am I seriously the only one mentioning that purple unicorn princess plushie's voice at the beginning sound suspiciously like Tara Strong's Twilight voice? Lots of references in this episode.

I actually checked the credits to se if it was her, but apparently it wasn't.

Toxi

Banned
So many great things about this episode:
Getting more Wendy, getting more Candy and Grenda, getting more Bill, getting more backstory, and RAINBOW UNICORN BLOOD.

I loved how Mabel's idealism and Wendy's cynicism were contrasted in how they tried to approach the unicorn problem.

Also, MONEY!!!

So, who do you speculate
Bill will possess in the show?

1. Wendy because Bill knows she can be used to deceive Dipper despite Ford's warnings. Plus the show's creators ignore Wendy anyway :p

2. Grunkle Stan. Whether he's already made a deal with the devil years ago like Ford did or will get possessed later on to trick the Pines family who knows.

3. Soos. All the hints of him knowing more than he's letting on (subconsciously or not), plus his gullible personality makes him an easy target for Bill

NEO0MJ

So, who do you speculate
Bill will possess in the show?

1. Wendy because Bill knows she can be used to deceive Dipper despite Ford's warnings. Plus the show's creators ignore Wendy anyway :p

That would be possible. I mean as we saw with this episode Dipper is still very attached to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom