• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I wonder which dipper he is.

Also, Bill is by far one of the creepiest antagonists of any cartoon I've ever watch.

That end was reminiscent of the End of Evangelion.

Psxphile

I wonder which dipper he is.

Think it's pretty obvious it's the Big Dipper (Wendy even calls it that when she first sees it). Didn't make the connection with the alien ship coordinates. Also: anyone else think that prison pod-ship looked like the spaceship from Flight of the Navigator in Gotta Go Fast™ mode?

I didn't see any orange juice!

RM3WFqO.jpg

NEO0MJ

It wouldn't surprise me that Bill is going to double-cross Gideon, because that's how most demons roll in fiction.

Gideon is no slouch, either. I bet he has a few plans to take out Bill himself. Whether or not they'd work on Bill in the real world is another matter.

Blues1990

Gideon is no slouch, either. I bet he has a few plans to take out Bill himself. Whether or not they'd work on Bill in the real world is another matter.

It all depends, really. Unless if Gideon had done his homework (or has figured out a way) to neutralize Bill's omnipotent abilities, I can't see him putting up much of a fight. It's very much like beating up a baby seal by blowing at it.

dity

Bill has access to his weird cross-dimensional army now. Not sure how useful Gideon will be, if at all, honestly.

Calling a shot of Gideon in jail freaking out as a monster breaks down his wall. That'll be what we see of him next ep.

UberTag

If that's true then it will be out of the top 50 cartoons ever made list. Because right now the episodes feel rushed. I hope they pick up again and actual deliver something good.
Yeah, the pacing in the back half of the 2nd season has effectively killed this show's legacy for me. It's turned from a show I would happily recommend to anyone to one where I'll recommend it for the beginning and then caution people against expecting much from the ending.

Sort of like Lost.

dity

Yeah, the pacing in the back half of the 2nd season has effectively killed this show's legacy for me. It's turned from a show I would happily recommend to anyone to one where I'll recommend it for the beginning and then caution people against expecting much from the ending.

Sort of like Lost.
I believe Rick and Morty suffered from the same thing. I'll happily recommend season 1, but season 2 is pretty ehhh and the ending is EHHHHHH. Gravity Falls seems to be turning out the same way.

Sort of like Lost.
I guess for shows that hype up a mystery its really hard to make that mystery pay off. The whole 'end of the world' thing is a little generic for me. Although we still don't know why gravity falls is so weird. There's still 3 episodes left so I think they can deliver something satisfying.

Hamlet

Xpcveaoqfoxso - Broken Barriers
Oh my

I believe Rick and Morty suffered from the same thing. I'll happily recommend season 1, but season 2 is pretty ehhh and the ending is EHHHHHH. Gravity Falls seems to be turning out the same way.

Eh season 2 of Rick and Morty is still pretty darn good even if the second half is a tad uneven at times. Still those first four episode alone are some of it's best episodes ever and the quality still remains very high even for the lesser episodes.

dity

Eh season 2 of Rick and Morty is still pretty darn good even if the second half is a tad uneven at times. Still those first four episode alone are some of it's best episodes ever and the quality still remains very high even for the lesser episodes.

S2 of R&M is largely unmemorable for me. It all kinda ran together for me despite watching it weekly. Other than the very first episode I don't even remember what episodes 2-4 are. Then there's Get Schwifty, then at some point Tiny Rick, episodes with Rick's ship killing everyone while protecting Summer, Marriage counselling... and the final ep.

Uh, that was pretty damn predictable. Well they had to get someone to stupidly betray the family and doom them all. Also the fear thing was dumb when After-Earth did it.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from a kid's show.

Really? I thought the sequence was supposed to be ripping off of Man of Steel?

Hands down one of the best episodes yet. That ending credits scene with
the townfolk screaming in the background
.... that was something. Holy fuck.

Damn skippy! It was even cooler with surround sound (you heard it coming from all directions, plus
the arrival of a helicopter...

Ford has such an aura of dickhead about him.

He does in the way he automatically presumes that Dipper and Mabel's relationship is the exact same as his and Stanley's.

Unless there's some even greater threat out there, then what Alex said about the show ending this season is likely true. Two seasons of very high quality episodes is a good run.
Plus, apparently Disney is very difficult to work with. Especially when they won't release the series on DVD.

Got a feeling that, even if Hirsch want to end it after this season, Disney will probably go ahead with another season, with or without Alex.

If this is the final set of episodes, I have this horrible feeling that after everything has been said and done, Hirsch is gonna get on the horn the next day and tear Disney a new one in a way of "John K/Nickelodeon" proportions.

Even worse is if Disney has the option to make more GF without Hirsch's consent. Imagine a third season of Gravity Falls similar to nature to that of the fourth season of Boondocks - stripped of any soul it had left...

But we barely got any Pacifica or Wendy :(

This...

Wendy getting almost nothing this season makes me :(

And this...

We've heard more about cancelled Wendy stories (through Hirsch's con-visits and the AMAs) than there has been in the fucking series altogether!

This should really happen. Or at least with Candy. Or anyone.

God damnit, give Dipper some Girl to love please!

And fucking this, too!

In the final episode, Dipper encounters Alien Wendy. She's really a giant slug monster but she falls in love with him. The credits roll.

It reminded me of the ending to ep 10. It was like they had a whole episode of something unrelated just to have the actual "plot" rear its head in the last 5 seconds of footage. Kinda sucks.

I'll do you one better if we're thinking batshit crazy theories:

OX4ajCL.gif

Don't think like Bill fucking with her. Think like Lois Lane in All-Star Superman
where she gets one day to be Superwoman...

And I totally agree with you about
Blendin
. Totally out of nowhere, considering how many hints the show was dropping about
Wendy (or Soos even).
Jesus mabel. I never really liked you. But now i hate you. Well done.

Kinda of a moot point here, since she had no idea about any of the rift stuff, plus she isn't exactly the brightest bulb out there. Not really a difference between here and when Wendy was fucking with her in Boss Mabel
(despite the end of the world thing...)

While I understand how it can feel like Stan has taken a little of a backseat to Ford, I think the severity of it is a bit exaggerated. Since a Tale of Two Stans we've had 5 episodes:

Dungeons, Dungeons, & More Dungeons- Mostly Ford, with some Stan

The Stanchurian Candidate- All Stan with some Ford cameos

The Last Mablecorn- All Ford, with like 10 seconds of Stan

Roadside Attraction- All Stan

Dipper & Mabel vs the Future- All Ford with some Stan cameos

So it seems like Alex has been alternating which brother gets more screen time every episode. I think the catch is the Ford appears in the plot oriented episodes which makes them more memorable for some. The reason we haven't really got any Stan and Ford episodes is because their still mad at each other and they probably want to save their reconciliation for the end.

As for the rest of the town, yeah they've been left behind (especially Wendy) but I'm still hopeful for them to get some great moments in these final episodes (Wendy looks ready for action in the preview for next episode).

Look at it this way - we had a season and a half to see who Stanley really is deep down. The last few episodes focus on Ford to let us know what kind of person he is behind the intelligence (which points to, not exactly a kind or caring one).

Remember, the girls' quest for the unicorn hair was meant as a diversion. He knew who Mabel was in personality, and sent her on a fool's errand, never expecting her to come home successful...

Tons of cool shit here if you slow it down:

-Manly Dan shielding the two younger boys from harm, then later fighting back against something downtown.

-The Manotaurs running for the hills!

-Mabel being taken away as a restored Blendin (with hair!) looks on in horror. Was this the deal Gideon made with Bill?

-A magic wave hitting the town before Soos's grandma is transformed.
-Dipper and Wendy to the rescue? Facing off against an lineup right out of Maximum Overdrive!

jokerturningout.gif

There's also the issue of Gideon. Wasn't he planning on striking a deal with Bill just a few episodes ago?

See above...

Also, one last little detail about this episode:

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tv/gravity-falls-weirdmageddon-part-i/EP015662900058?aid=dxd

dity

Don't think like Bill fucking with her. Think like Lois Lane in All-Star Superman
where she gets one day to be Superwoman...

And I totally agree with you about
Blendin
. Totally out of nowhere, considering how many hints the show was dropping about
Wendy (or Soos even).

The whole final scene of the latest episode reeked of
"We need something time related to happen for Mabel, oh I know bring in the time travel guy!"
It sucked bad as a resolution, especially since
he was supposed to have hair, which made the whole thing kind of obvious

PaulloDEC

I think for some reason I thought he had more.

Probably because it's been ages since we saw the damn character.

Eh. Nine episodes isn't such a long time.

I'm also a little curious as to why you disliked
Blendin being Bill's puppet
at the end. Kinda seems to me like he was the most perfect possible character for the job:

1) He doesn't know
Bill and would therefore be unprepared to resist him
2) He's known to Mabel as a friend (or at least, not a villain anymore)
3) He's one of like three named characters on the show with access to
time travel

Like, who else could it have been? He was literally the only sensible choice.

dity

Eh. Nine episodes isn't such a long time.

I'm also a little curious as to why you disliked
Blendin being Bill's puppet
at the end. Kinda seems to me like he was the most perfect possible character for the job:

1) He doesn't know
Bill and would therefore be unprepared to resist him
2) He's known to Mabel as a friend (or at least, not a villain anymore)
3) He's one of like three named characters on the show with access to
time travel

Like, who else could it have been? He was literally the only sensible choice.

Nine episodes isn't a long time if the show was properly airing on a weekly schedule. But, it's not. It's ages since the last episode with him in it aired on TV.

I didn't like it because I thought it was the equivalent to pulling a rabbit out of a hat. He was the "perfect possible character" because he was the only possible character. In the space of a few minutes we go from Mabel wanting Summer to repeat forever to him appearing and wow convenient plot twist look who shows. It's pretty crud IMO because it was so perfectly convenient. It's not what I really expect of the series.

S2 of R&M is largely unmemorable for me. It all kinda ran together for me despite watching it weekly. Other than the very first episode I don't even remember what episodes 2-4 are. Then there's Get Schwifty, then at some point Tiny Rick, episodes with Rick's ship killing everyone while protecting Summer, Marriage counselling... and the final ep.
Those were all awesome. You smoking. Only bad episode was the purge episode.

PaulloDEC

Nine episodes isn't a long time if the show was properly airing on a weekly schedule. But, it's not. It's ages since the last episode with him in it aired on TV.

I didn't like it because I thought it was the equivalent to pulling a rabbit out of a hat. He was the "perfect possible character" because he was the only possible character. In the space of a few minutes we go from Mabel wanting Summer to repeat forever to him appearing and wow convenient plot twist look who shows. It's pretty crud IMO because it was so perfectly convenient. It's not what I really expect of the series.

Fair point about the scheduling. In real time, how long has it been since episode 8 went out? Like, at least a few months I'm guessing.

As for the rest, the convenience of it made perfect sense to me. If there's one thing we know about Bill, it's that he's always watching, always listening and always waiting for a vulnerability to become apparent. It happened exactly the same way in Sock Opera; no sooner had Dipper expressed a position that Bill could exploit, there he was.

So when Mabel comes running out of the protection of the shack loudly wishing for mastery over time, what else is Bill going to do? He finds a person uniquely suited to the job (and more critically someone whose abilities and relationships are known to us, the viewers) and puts them to work. It all fit together beautifully, IMO. If it'd been Lolph, Dungren or someone new we'd never met, I'd have been right there with you. That would've been like pulling a rabbit out of a hat. Blendin's the opposite of that; he's someone with all the right attributes, and he's been under our noses since the first season.

dity

Fair point about the scheduling. In real time, how long has it been since episode 8 went out? Like, at least a few months I'm guessing.

As for the rest, the convenience of it made perfect sense to me. If there's one thing we know about Bill, it's that he's always watching, always listening and always waiting for a vulnerability to become apparent. It happened exactly the same way in Sock Opera; no sooner had Dipper expressed a position that Bill could exploit, there he was.

So when Mabel comes running out of the protection of the shack loudly wishing for mastery over time, what else is Bill going to do? He finds a person uniquely suited to the job (and more critically someone whose abilities and relationships are known to us, the viewers) and puts them to work. It all fit together beautifully, IMO.

There was build up to what happened with Dipper's body being taken over. There was no build up for Mabel's situation. Right?

Ditto. Also the only bad thing for me this episode was them doing the whole "Dipper doesn't put Mabel first so he's in the wrong" plot again.

Why does everything have to conform to Mabel anyway? I know it's kinda lame for Dipper to not discuss his situation with Mabel but at the same time he's sorta like her emotional cushion, when she has all the friends and he has only her but he has to stay that way (200% dedication to her life) for her to be seemingly stable.

UberTag

11 months, to be precise. Blendin's Game first aired on November 10th last year.
Almost a year later after being completely forgotten about and never mentioned, he conveniently shows up to serve as a plot device.

PaulloDEC

There was build up to what happened with Dipper's body being taken over. There was no build up for Mabel's situation. Right?

Why does everything have to conform to Mabel anyway? I know it's kinda lame for Dipper to not discuss his situation with Mabel but at the same time he's sorta like her emotional cushion, when she has all the friends and he has only her but he has to stay that way (200% dedication to her life) for her to be seemingly stable.

In Sock Opera, time was on Bill's side. He could afford to be casual, because he didn't need to actually do anything until Dipper triggered the 5-minute countdown on the laptop.

Regarding Mabel... well, no-one's going to argue their relationship is balanced or fair.

11 months, to be precise. Blendin's Game first aired on November 10th last year.
Almost a year later after being completely forgotten about and never mentioned, he conveniently shows up to serve as a plot device.

But that's the point; he's the rifle on the wall. If it'd been some new character we'd never met, it would've been a terrible conclusion. The fact that it was a guy with an incredibly useful power that we've known all along is what makes it so perfect.

Hamlet

IMO the show took a rushed dip in creativity and think S1 was way better.

Man how could you forget those three episodes Mortynight Run, Auto Erotic Assimilation (
that ending
) and Total Rickall (
Mr. Poopybutthole
) it's pretty much the perfect start to the season. I've still got the Moonman song stuck in my head months later .
I will agree though that it has a few lackluster episodes albeit still fun episodes in the second half of the season with Get Schwifty and Interdimensional Cable 2: Tempting Fate. But yeah while season 1 is a lot more consistent in quality Season 2 for me still has some of the shows highest highs yet and is hardly eh.

dity

In Sock Opera, time was on Bill's side. He could afford to be casual, because he didn't need to actually do anything until Dipper triggered the 5-minute countdown on the laptop.

Regarding Mabel... well, no-one's going to argue their relationship is balanced or fair.

But that's the point; he's the rifle on the wall. If it'd been some new character we'd never met, it would've been a terrible conclusion. The fact that it was a guy with an incredibly useful power that we've known all along is what makes it so perfect.

Truth be told I'd have been less irked by the ending if
Bill himself
showed up with a wager.

PaulloDEC

Truth be told I'd have been less irked by the ending if
Bill himself
showed up with a wager.

That's actually what I was expecting to happen, to be honest. I thought they were going to suggest that Mabel was in enough emotional turmoil to make the mistake of doing a deal with Bill. I'm glad that didn't happen; it would've really knocked Mabel down in my estimation. Neither twin is ignorant to how dangerous Bill is now.

Blendin though? One of Mabel's flaws is that she always wants to see the best in people, and as a reformed "villain", Blendin couldn't be more of a perfect choice. Mabel would've trusted him out of hope that he'd changed if nothing else.

Crayolan

Saw the most recent episode last night and all I could think was "we're already at the ending?" Though I don't feel like the recent episodes have been bad in retrospect it feels like the series has fallen off a cliff since Ford's introduction. Weirdly enough I wish there were more filler episodes in between Tale of Two Stans and this one. I want more funny episodes with the townsfolk and to see how Ford interacts with them.

It feels like Ford was supposed to be with the gang for a long time, maybe a full season's worth, before Bill breaking the void, and like Bill should've already attempted to destroy the void multiple times and failed.

It also feels like the ending of the episode was completely undeserved, Blendin returning was completely random and Mabel just giving him the void felt a little too dumb of her, even if she didn't know what it was and was emotionally vulnerable. Shouldn't she have questioned why he was helping her and what he was doing back in their time? Shouldn't she have been just a little suspicious of what he wanted to do with this weird thing which wasn't hers?

The moment of Bill finally destroying the void should've been an unexpected shock but instead it was super obvious.

Psxphile

Look at it this way - we had a season and a half to see who Stanley really is deep down. The last few episodes focus on Ford to let us know what kind of person he is behind the intelligence (which points to, not exactly a kind or caring one).

Remember, the girls' quest for the unicorn hair was meant as a diversion. He knew who Mabel was in personality, and sent her on a fool's errand, never expecting her to come home successful...
That seems a lot darker and sinister than what we actually got on-screen. Ford just mentioned that Unicorns were difficult to deal with which was why he wasn't looking forward to having to obtain the hair, nothing about him doubting in Mabel's ability to come through.

And this goes completely against the fan narrative that Ford doesn't think highly of "the fun twin" due to his relationship with Stanley because he was both blown away and incredibly grateful when Mable showed up with the hair.

I think for some reason I thought he had more.

Probably because it's been ages since we saw the damn character.

Yup, the hiatus didn't do the show any favors. Though that particular episode has been rerun to death since it aired. And there were two or three all-day Gravity Falls marathons on Disney XD before the airing of the new episode. Blendin the character wasn't forgotten, but it sounds like you and others wanted him to have more of a presence on the show to justify why he was chosen to be the one possessed by Bill over someone who the audience would be more receptive to as an unwilling/unknowing betrayer and thus more emotionally devastating.

dity

Yup, the hiatus didn't do the show any favors. Though that particular episode has been rerun to death since it aired. And there were two or three all-day Gravity Falls marathons on Disney XD before the airing of the new episode. Blendin the character wasn't forgotten, but it sounds like you and others wanted him to have more of a presence on the show to justify why he was chosen to be the one possessed by Bill over someone who the audience would be more receptive to as an unwilling/unknowing betrayer and thus more emotionally devastating.

I'd forgot the dude cos I don't live in the USA and didn't have those reruns. So it was like "oh why is here he oh ok um alright ummmm" for that scene. Meanwhile, Wendy complained about high school.

Psxphile

^ all of our hiatus, but none of our reruns. That's rough, buddy.

Coincidentally, Disney XD is currently airing a 4 hour block of Gravity Falls episodes from both Season 1 and 2. Including some of the shorts.

RK128

^ all of our hiatus, but none of our reruns. That's rough, buddy.

Coincidentally, Disney XD is currently airing a 4 hour block of Gravity Falls episodes from both Season 1 and 2. Including some of the shorts.

Wow, thank you for the heads up :D! Will tune in now and re-watch one of my favorite shows for a few hours :).

KiN0

Blendin's possession seemed so random because Bill needs to make deal with someone to take over their body. Blendin' doesn't have any issues left to resolve so I can't imagine anything he'd want from Bill.

Toxi

Banned
Blendin's possession seemed so random because Bill needs to make deal with someone to take over their body. Blendin' doesn't have any issues left to resolve so I can't imagine anything he'd want from Bill.
Nah, it was because there was no build-up and it was obvious from the first moment that he was possessed by Bill.

The show makers could easily write a reason for Blendin to make a deal with Bill, but that would mean nothing when he still shows up in the last five minutes of the episode and immediately starts acting like Bill.

That link's broken. Here's one that works.

As one note, you probably shouldn't have both spoilers and random asides under the spoiler bars, especially so many of them. And probably not so many screencaps.

Thanks for the corrected link. I'm on mobile right now, so I probably screwed something up somewhere...

About the note, anything in specific you'd want me to change? I'm definitely open to any suggestions...

Even though it felt rushed near the end, still liked it but yeah should've been a two parter with Ford hanging out with Dipper and Mabel dealing with growing up and then the whole Bill thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom