• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightbird

I know the tweet is old and was discussed already, but I think now that we are almost at the end of the season, it might be time to talk about it again:

who-is-going-to-die-in-gravity-falls-stan-alex-hirsch-674340.jpg

So who do you think is it gonna be?

NEO0MJ

I'm going with Mcgucket. Someone with good history and relations who we'd be sad to see go while at the same time won't hurt the status quo much.

dity

I know the tweet is old and was discussed already, but I think now that we are almost at the end of the season, it might be time to talk about it again:

who-is-going-to-die-in-gravity-falls-stan-alex-hirsch-674340.jpg

So who do you think is it gonna be?
Track record says Wendy, just so he doesn't even have to think about writing her again since her content never gets in.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
My Cable Box guide calls tonight's episode "Weirdmagddeon Part 1"
So yeah, it's a multiparter. That we'll have to wait weeks for because "fuck you Disney"

Tuck

Track record says Wendy, just so he doesn't even have to think about writing her again since her content never gets in.
Wendy dying would mean she'd have to appear on screen in the first place. She might even need to talk!

And we know that's not going to happen.

dity

Wendy dying would mean she'd have to appear on screen in the first place. She might even need to talk!

And we know that's not going to happen.
We saw her in the preview so she at least gets on screen. Maybe she's mute this time due to the Oddpocolypse!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
It's obviously Ford duh. Gotta get back to that Stan and the kids status quo.

I'm super hyped for the 3 part finale. Despite the show having some flaws in my opinion, its had some really touching emotional moments and complex characters and is one of my favorite cartoons currently airing, and I expect to be crying by the end of this and re watching it over and over.

I thought that was great, only thing I didn't like was that
Gideons conversion seemed way too forced. I don't think after all that work he did he would just switch sides like that in 10 seconds.

BatDan

Holy shit. Just... holy shit.
Weirdmageddon indeed. So much to process
Need Part 2 now.
Damn you Disney

RK128

Wow, this was a great way to kick off the what I'm assuming finale to the series :').

Spoilers:
-Love the Mad Max meets insane design of the 'new' Gravity Falls. Wendy said it best; "To think the end of the world matched all those rock album covers" So true XD!
-Really like how Wendy got a big role in part one of this three parter; she was awesome in how she fights Giddien and the rest of the odd world.
-Ford becoming 'dead' wasn't surprising but still, was a bit sad to see. Him being a back scratchier as a stature was a bit funny though :).
-The episode as a whole was hysterical all around; from the new intro being so warped too the designs/dialog of the different creatures roaming around, I loved seeing this new version of Gravity Falls and I want to see how far they go with it before it turns back to normal
-The episode really felt like they were closing up the series; the Time Police being dead, Giddien joining Dipper and the gang, the odds being the highest they ever was in the series, the cameos of a ton of past episodes (loved the Fighter Fighters cameo at the start of the episode) and everything.
-Its sad that a great show is ending (as I felt they could of did a lot more with Ford and Wendy), it was a great run and I look forward to see how it all ends :). One of the best Disney Cartoons since Gargoyles, Ducktails, Kim Possible and Darkwing Duck :').

BatDan

From what I gather, Alex's plan was for the show to run for three seasons. Season 1 was June, Season 2 was July, and Season 3 was August.
However, Disney pissed off Alex one too many times and whatever major arcs he had planned for Season 3 were condensed into the second half of Season 2. That's my guess.

He has said he wants to do a movie though. One to wrap everything up.

RK128

From what I gather, Alex's plan was for the show to run for three seasons. Season 1 was June, Season 2 was July, and Season 3 was August.
However, Disney pissed off Alex one too many times and whatever major arcs he had planned for Season 3 were condensed into the second half of Season 2. That's my guess.

He has said he wants to do a movie though. One to wrap everything up.

Wow, surprised Disney kept messing things up for him :(. The show seems to be a success for Disney, so it is very strange that they gave him so much trouble.

Maybe Alex can make that Gravity Falls movie, similar to the Ducktails movie that came out a few years after the show ended. It could explore some of the plot elements that were glossed over in S2 (or the ideas for S3 that were never used like the Wendy episodes) alongside use the same animation from the show (slightly better, again, similar to how Ducktails did its movie).

....I'm thinking of the Kim Possible Movie, Proud Family Movie or the various hour episodes of Danny Phantom with Gravity Falls in the future; various hour films that explore elements of Gravity Falls while touching upon stuff that would appear in the S3 that never happened.

RK128

I assume the constant hiatuses pissed him off.

Maybe he can make a show for Cartoon Network after Gravity Falls ends (or maybe after he makes that movie he wanted to make, though I guess the next string of episodes could count as the movie).

They seem to have a lot of creative freedom and far more open with what you can get away with (Adventure Time and Steven Universe are very smart when it comes to this), so that would be a nice home for a future project of his :).

I really hope he works with the IP in the future though, as I love the show and even if it ends, I would love it to get a great movie at some point.

I said this an earlier post, but a Ducktails Movie type of deal would be great for Gravity Falls; animation looking a bit better, the story being grand and covering elements that the scrapped S3 never had and it can explore characters we didn't see since S1.

Badass fucking opening episode! You guys above ^ pretty much nailed everything I was gonna say (YAY! Wendy! And good riddance,
Pacficas dad!
)

One question for you, GF-GAF, about the driving sequence, was that really
Jason Ritter and Linda Cardellini dressed as Dipper and Wendy respectively?
It went too fast for me...

mreddie

Badass fucking opening episode! You guys above ^ pretty much nailed everything I was gonna say (YAY! Wendy! And good riddance,
Pacficas dad!
)

CSSKxy8VAAAIhUe.jpg

RK128

Pacficas dad!
)

They are the VA's for them, right? If so, that was a very meta reference XD! Love all the animation styles that was played around with during that section of the episode :').

RK128

Do you guys think that we are still getting the Gravity Falls movie?

After hearing that S3 was scrapped and parts of it was put into S2 instead, I wonder if the movie became part of S2 as well.

The final three-part finale could of worked as a film, so I wonder if that is the 'movie'.

Raxus

Do you guys think that we are still getting the Gravity Falls movie?

After hearing that S3 was scrapped and parts of it was put into S2 instead, I wonder if the movie became part of S2 as well.

The final three-part finale could of worked as a film, so I wonder if that is the 'movie'.

I am reaching to think about what loose ends we have to clean up. It seems this finale will wrap up everything into a neat little bow. It is nice to have a complete series similar to anime since quality wasn't compromised for length.

We'll see if there is a movie planned I guess depends on Hirsch but until then it seems we should plan on saying goodbye.

RK128

I am reaching to think about what loose ends we have to clean up. It seems this finale will wrap up everything into a neat little bow. It is nice to have a complete series similar to anime since quality wasn't compromised for length.

We'll see if there is a movie planned I guess depends on Hirsch but until then it seems we should plan on saying goodbye.

I feel that way too; its a shame that its going to end, but with it being so damn good, I would rather it end strong then being too long and suffering because of that.

Still, I feel a movie might happen as a lot of Disney cartoons got one (Ducktails, Gargoyles first four episodes might as well be an animated film, Kim Possible, Two Lilo & Stitch Movies (based on the TV Show; pilot and series finale), Proud Family, Phinas and Ferb, ect). So, I have hope they will do one for Gravity Falls at some point down the line :).

RK128

Wait, so there won't be a season 3? Damnit

Apparently the major plot points of S3 were condensed into the remaining half of S2 (all the episodes after 'Tale of Two Stans').

Alex got sick of how Disney was handling the show (his Wendy Episode ideas being scrapped, production/hiatus issues, ect), so he decided to scrap his S3 and finish the show with S2.

No word is out there if a movie is happening though (Alex said he wanted to make one but who knows if that changed or if the next wave of episodes have the plot of the movie he wanted to make), so who knows.

Tuck

I think the second half of this season needed a bit more breathing room - its not so much about loose ends as it is about giving some side characters more time. Like Pacifica. Each episode on its own has been fantastic though. We *did* get a few side episodes, of course. Just felt like there could have been a couple more here and there, at least for me.

Second season remains strong, but the quickening of the pace in the second half was noticeable and not entirely a positive.

Episode was awesome. Wendy kicking ass! Where the hell is Stan?! He's another character that feels MIA from the main plot line ever since Ford showed up.

RK128

I think the second half of this season needed a bit more breathing room - its not so much about loose ends as it is about giving some side characters more time. Like Pacifica. Each episode on its own has been fantastic though. We *did* get a few side episodes, of course. Just felt like there could have been a couple more here and there, at least for me.

Second season remains strong, but the quickening of the pace in the second half was noticeable and not entirely a positive.

Episode was awesome. Wendy kicking ass! Where the hell is Stan?! He's another character that feels MIA from the main plot line ever since Ford showed up.

S2 really needed a few more episodes (4-6 more to cover the plots of the side characters and growing Stan & Fords relationship more), but for reasons (Disney being pricks or messing up with the production process for Alex), we didn't get extra episodes to cover up those flaws.

Regarding the finale, remember that this is a three-part finale, so Stan will pop up in Part 2 and 3 for a bigger role. I think its going to be like this:
-Part 1: Dipper, Wendy, Ford
-Part 2: Dipper, Mable, Sos, Wendy, Stan
-Part 3: Ford, Stan, Dipper, Mable

That way everyone gets enough screen time and the show closes with strong character interactions with its main cast.

The reason Stan was mostly gone for the second half of S2 is that the creator (Alex) decided to take the plot lines of S3 and implant them the second half of S2. That is why so many side characters didn't really pop up so much in recent episodes; the focus was on establishing Fords character within the little screen time he had (about....4-6 episodes out of the entire series).

Stan had a huge role for a majority of the series, so that's why I don't mind him being gone from the action so much; he had a lot of time to shine in both older and newer episodes.

Wendy and Pacifca really needed the extra screen time and with reports of Disney rejecting Alex's plans for more Wendy-focused episodes, it makes sense why her role in the show went down over time. Pacifica really feels like it was set up for her to be the new 'love interest' for Dipper but due to S2 plans being changed, they only got one episode to explore the idea on.

Overall, S2 in its second half clearly feels rushed but its still high quality, making its rushed pacing and lack of side characters okay enough. Besides, the finale seems to be fixing a few of those issues (Wendy got a big role in Part 1 of the finale), so Stan and Ford popping up for some interactions in Part 3 is likely :).

In summary: Fuck Disney.

Regarding tonights episode: Its insane just how powerful Bill is (as Hirsch explained before)
the way he just wiped out the Time Baby and company that easily was a highlight for me

I also assume Blendin will do something in the next two episodes since he survived

Raxus

Apparently the major plot points of S3 were condensed into the remaining half of S2 (all the episodes after 'Tale of Two Stans').

Alex got sick of how Disney was handling the show (his Wendy Episode ideas being scrapped, production/hiatus issues, ect), so he decided to scrap his S3 and finish the show with S2.

No word is out there if a movie is happening though (Alex said he wanted to make one but who knows if that changed or if the next wave of episodes have the plot of the movie he wanted to make), so who knows.

I find it kind of funny that Disney is still so strict on its creators especially after seeing what they are letting them get away with. The fate of Pacifica's dad is straight up disturbing even for me and I have seen tons of horror movies.

I hope Disney allows its series creators allow a more laissez-faire approach to their lineup much like what allowed CN to flourish.

It really sucks we are at a point in the series that, aside from the next episode date, we will likely not hear much from the creators until the series is completed.

Changing gears:

gravity5-e1342197764849.jpg

We know all these characters will play a critical role in taking down Bill in some way. Which leads me to believe we will see Ford (6 fingers/glasses) back. We know every other character on the chart apart from Ford apparently being on their twice unless Toby winds up being glasses. We still have yet to see what Stan, Soos, Robbie, and Pacifica have to do in all this. The way things are wrapping up I expect a very strong finale. Hope we get to see the rest soon.

Hamlet

Man what a fantastic weird episode.
Everything to do with the weirdness bubbles during the chase had me in stitches, that live action segment haha. Also nice to see Wendy getting some much needed screen time and quite the badass in this one too.
Alex sure must have quite the sway with the Disney censors as there were some pretty freaky stuff tonight. So many deaths (RIP Time Baby) and I don't think i'm going to get that image of Preston Northwest's new face out of my mind anytime soon heh. Perfect use of Louis C.K. as The Horrifying Sweaty One-Armed Monstrosity.
Loved the new opening, love it when shows do stuff like that for big events.
Hopefully the wait for the next episode isn't too long pls Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom