• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

Friendly reminder that we don't have a source for the "show ending at 2 seasons because Disney was a butt" speculation, let's not go turning this rumour into a widely-believed fact.

oh Sigma, the irony

First GF episode to not feature Mabel's fantastically pleasant voice.

PaulloDEC

Wow, totally bonkers episode. Loved it overall, with highlights being how
legitimately threatening
Bill is and how
totally badass
Wendy is.

God the art is so good
I need a blu ray in my veins

If this really is the end of the show, they'd damn well better give us a lavish Blu-ray box set. I'll pay whatever they ask.

Hamlet

The B-Movies Podcast | The Secrets of 'Gravity Falls' with Alex Hirsch
Very informative listen and
Dammit M. Night Shyamalan
God the art is so good
I need a blu ray in my veins
Sadly in the podcast above Alex says that it's pretty unlikely that we'll ever get a Blu-ray release :(
He was told that the DVD market is in a lag and that they just don't have the evidence that it'll sell enough to be worthwhile. Pleas falls on deaf ears, they have no interest in it and not even a response to Alex after he wrote a ten page email to them about it.

UberTag

Companies hate physical releases of their products now.
They're all about selling digital media licenses to people that can be revoked at any time or restricted to a single device.
A lot of high quality shows that "should be" on BluRay or available in some fashion simply won't be made readily available.

That freaking amazing. It stands to say that I don't think I've seen an apocalypse in fiction that's shown just how insane and strange things can become. There was legitimately disturbing imagery in this episode, right from the start that set the tone for just messed Bill's Weirdmageddon would be. Disfigurations, transmogrifications, death, insanity, this episode had it all. I actually am unsure of where the next few episodes are headed but I eagerly await what is coming.

jediyoshi

Post apocalypse Wendy = bae. Now that Candy was thrown out of the picture and Pacifica was banished from existence, I want to believe Dipper giving that speech has signs pointing towards Wendip. THE SHIP LIVES, LET ME HAVE THIS HIRSCH.

KiN0

This was a really great opening episode. It definitely raised my hopes for a promising finale.
That being said, I don't like how Gideon turned good so easily. That was way too convenient.

dity

That was an excellent episode, way better than the last.

Thoughts:

Loving how much Wendy time we're getting, and also LOVING Bill. Bill is sooo fucking good. The effects being used for him are absolutely perfect.

Gideon going good so easily seems like a bit of a disappointment. I took him for Porky from Earthbound

HaeNYrh.gif

I'm kind of disappointed that they went with the JRPG trope of the apocalypse happening, but then the villain behind it decides to leave the main characters alone and holes up in a castle.

Other than that, this was a great episode. There was a ton of genuinely disturbing imagery and hilarious ones. I especially loved the modified intro and the Louis CK head complaining about no one letting him eat them. It was nice to see Wendy with a big role, though it's a shame we didn't get much of her earlier this season. I wasn't a fan of the Gideon sequence, other than the weirdness bubbles, since his threat felt so much lower than everything around them and it was pretty easy to turn him against Bill.

If there was any doubt before, this definitely feels like the start of a series finale.

EDIT: New intro, since searching for it on YouTube is surprisingly bothersome.

PSqueak

Banned
I wasn't a fan of the Gideon sequence, other than the weirdness bubbles, since his threat felt so much lower than everything around them and it was pretty easy to turn him against Bill.

My only complaint as well, but episode still was crazy good, amazing use of kiddy horror and down right body horror, didn't expect that death toll.

NEO0MJ

This episode was so good. The inside of Bill's hat being flesh and blood was so creepy.

I'm kind of disappointed that they went with the JRPG trope of the apocalypse happening, but then the villain behind it decides to leave the main characters alone and holes up in a castle.

I think it's because Bill still thinks of Dipper as someone waaay beneath him and not worth taking care of.

UberTag

Post apocalypse Wendy = bae. Now that Candy was thrown out of the picture and Pacifica was banished from existence, I want to believe Dipper giving that speech has signs pointing towards Wendip. THE SHIP LIVES, LET ME HAVE THIS HIRSCH.
Talk about setting unrealistic expectations. Don't do this to yourself, jediyoshi.

At BEST you can expect an ambiguous leading comment from Wendy along the lines of Laura Powers' "you know, if you were only old enough to grow a bad teenage mustache - I'd go out with you in a second" from The Simpsons just to give Dipper the promise of hope as he heads home with Mabel for the summer. But that's it. And I doubt you even get that.

These last episodes are all about reuniting the twins so their magic twin powers activate and they defeat Bill forever.

Okay, I suppose you might also get time travel hi-jinx where Future Dipper returns with Blendin to save the day when all looks lost and you discover that Future Dipper hooked up with Wendy after all. Fine... look what I did. I just undermined my own post and gave you hope again. Damn it all.

KiN0

Did he though? Mable was already knocked out, so Bill didn't need to go out and catch her.

He still put the effort into making that bubble prison. How much more work would it take to knock out dipper and put him in a bubble? In fact, if we assume that wheel symbolizes everyone who will play a hand in his defeat, why didn't he go and imprison them too?

This isn't a huge problem, but it is still annoying to see stupid villains in a show where everyone has proven themselves to be more clever than they let on.

Raxus

He still put the effort into making that bubble prison. How much more work would it take to knock out dipper and put him in a bubble? In fact, if we assume that wheel symbolizes everyone who will play a hand in his defeat, why didn't he go and imprison them too?

This isn't a huge problem, but it is still annoying to see stupid villains in a show where everyone has proven themselves to be more clever than they let on.

We will see. Personally, I think Bill can't directly kill those that is involved in the 'circle'. It explains why he trapped Ford and Wendy and why he sent his goons to kill Dipper. It also explains why Dipper and Company were (mostly) immune to the madness waves.

Also, Bill is crazy so not all his actions have to make sense.

Fj0823

Pacífica and McGucket are in the circle right?

If this movie ends with all assembling (heh) and being heroes. That'd be awesome.

PSqueak

Banned
Pacífica and McGucket are in the circle right?

If this movie ends with all assembling (heh) and being heroes. That'd be awesome.

Pacifica isn't, as far as i remember, curiously Robbie is, but he's already taken out. Also, i don't think people figured out who Llama and Ice are, altho i think people guess they're Pacifica and Wendy repectively, i don't see any reason to associate Llamas with Pacifica.

jediyoshi

Talk about setting unrealistic expectations. Don't do this to yourself, jediyoshi.

At BEST you can expect an ambiguous leading comment from Wendy along the lines of Laura Powers' "you know, if you were only old enough to grow a bad teenage mustache - I'd go out with you in a second" from The Simpsons just to give Dipper the promise of hope as he heads home with Mabel for the summer. But that's it. And I doubt you even get that.

These last episodes are all about reuniting the twins so their magic twin powers activate and they defeat Bill forever.

Okay, I suppose you might also get time travel hi-jinx where Future Dipper returns with Blendin to save the day when all looks lost and you discover that Future Dipper hooked up with Wendy after all. Fine... look what I did. I just undermined my own post and gave you hope again. Damn it all.

Don't worry, I'm mostly entirely kidding. All ships died once Pacifica remained a noncharacter up to this finale arc.

Don't worry, I'm mostly entirely kidding. All ships died once Pacifica remained a noncharacter up to this finale arc.

The final episode will jump ahead 20 years in the epilogue, showing Dipper married to... Mabel! ...'s pig!

Come to think of it, when was the last time we saw that pig?

"Oh Gravity Falls is a kid's show. How dark could-"

jIlXY2D.gif

But, goddamn, that was good. Title sequence was great, and I loved how Bill even messed with the
"created by" title.
I wonder how many parts there's going to be to this, considering we haven't seen Stan, Pacifica, Candy, Grenda and all the other characters. I wonder if this is just going to culminate in all out brawl, with all the supporting monsters and what not helping out. Rumble's on the loose, the monsters are out of the forest, so we just might see a free-for-all.

Other thoughts:
- Was it just me or when Dipper was captured, didn't it sound like the MGS alert tone?
-
The Weirdness bubbles were great. Jason Ritter still looks really young.
-
Louis freaking C.K. gets a guest spot on a Disney Channel show
-
What are all the stone statues going to be used for? Phase 2 perhaps? For that matter, how much weirder could things get?
-
This is all looking incredibly final for the show. I'd be content if it ends now, but I'd really really really hope we get some kind of third season.

Psxphile

Pacifica isn't, as far as i remember, curiously Robbie is, but he's already taken out. Also, i don't think people figured out who Llama and Ice are, altho i think people guess they're Pacifica and Wendy repectively, i don't see any reason to associate Llamas with Pacifica.

tumblr_inline_nl18lyA9wm1r78nbp.jpg

Reminder that this painting was uncovered and on-screen for nary a second as Dipper and Pacifica were fleeing from the ghost inside the hidden room in Northwest Mansion Mystery. The llama might not even be about Pacifica herself, but any or all of the Northwests.

Opto

Banned
I actually still want Wendip. 3 Years is hardly a gap really imo. It won't happen, but I still think it'd be cute.

That's too close to HIMYM. It would tarnish the message of Wendy setting him straight and him having to get over it

Fj0823

I wouldn't mind a 2 year timeskip for a third season.

I mean, look no further than the original concept for 15 year old versions of the twins

Also Dipifica must happen, but not right now. Better nothing that something unearned.

The_Kid

It's really hard for me to even consider the possibility of a third season. I mean, Hirsch has said multiple times that when the summer is over, the show is. It's like the last week of Summer in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom